Caddy Coincidence and Young Female Phenom. Two points, one post.

DougE
dogs: 1

Caddy Coincidence and Young Female Phenom. Two points, one post.

Post by DougE » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:07 am

Some of you may remember that Joe LaCava, Tiger's caddy, was a regular at my old home course in Connecticut, Oxford Greens. He lived the next town over. During the last couple years I was there, I had the opportunity to play in a couple informal afternoon tourneys with him, though he was not in my foursome, but did hang out in the bar with all of us afterwards. He had a regular group he played with most of the time, who were all guys I knew well, so I got to hear bits and pieces of info on Tiger. However, Tiger was not a topic he spent too much time talking about.

So, anyway, I joined this new club in Maryland last year. Worthington Manor. I have met a lot of well-known sports personalities here. As it turns out, a bunch of Redskins enjoy playing here. Ray Knight (1985 World Series Champion Mets 3rd baseman, who was married to Nancy Lopez LPGA Hall of Famer) and the other broadcasters who do the Nationals play-by-play have already been here 5 or 6 times this year, as well as some other notables. But I just found out yesterday that, coincidentally, another of Tiger's caddies plays here regularly too. Mike "Fluff" Cowan, who now carries Jim Furyk's bag. He was out playing with our resident 13-year-old female phenom, who he told our pro, "has what it takes" to make the LPGA Tour. This girl is good. Her mom brings her to the course daily in one of those $125,000 Mercedes G-Class SUVs. Burnt orange, no less. (Another coincidence, Joe LaCava drives the same model Mercedes, though not orange.) She practices at least 4 or 5 hours everyday, though there are days she is here from morning until dusk. She is a joy to watch. I guess she is home-schooled. Evidently, Fluff heard about her and was quite impressed. Her name is Faith Choi. Not surprisingly, she is of Korean decent, though born here in the States. Remember that name. Her mom plays very well herself and puts Faith through various drills regularly. Her actual coach is our club pro, Ed Coyle.

I was on the range hitting wedge shots a few weeks ago, to a pin about 110 yards out. I was hitting one after another, getting most fairly close. A couple were more than 10 yards away, but for the most part, I was feeling pretty good about the way I was hitting them, as were the guys who had noticed around me. Then Faith showed up. She started hitting to the same pin, nearly every one within a 2-3 yard circle around the pin. I quickly picked up another club and started hitting to another target. One that wasn't obvious to anyone but me. She sure took the wind out of my sails. Beat down by a 13 year old girl. Faith Choi. Remember the name.

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Re: Caddy Coincidence and Young Female Phenom. Two points, one post.

Post by bkuehn1952 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:27 am

C'mon, Doug. You should have asked her to play a quick 9, $10 a hole, to see if she can stand the heat. ;) It is one thing to hit wedges to an inanimate target. A whole different situation when money is on the line.

Yes, I am just kidding.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:58 pm

DougE wrote:So, anyway, I joined this new club in Maryland last year. Worthington Manor. I have met a lot of well-known sports personalities here. As it turns out, a bunch of Redskins enjoy playing here.
HTTR, I need more info on this. And if this is the case, I need to make plans to visit you.
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:01 pm

Cool story Doug. Worthington Manor sounds like a happenin joint.
Build a bridge and get over it.

DougE

Post by DougE » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:15 am

bkuehn1952 wrote:C'mon, Doug. You should have asked her to play a quick 9, $10 a hole, to see if she can stand the heat. ;) It is one thing to hit wedges to an inanimate target. A whole different situation when money is on the line.
Read this:
http://theleftbench.com/blog/2016/10/11 ... ge-height/

She would empty my wallet fast. (Not that there is anything in there to begin with.)

This girl (Faith Choi) is amazing to watch.

On a similar note, I have noticed a LOT of other junior Asians/Koreans, mostly girls, who practice daily at Worthington. When I go up to practice late in the day on days I don't play, I often see 4 or 5 different Asian juniors working diligently on their game with Mom and/or Dad standing close by, usually coaching them, or at the very least, pushing them to "get it right." Last night I was there until dark. I finished up on the practice green about 7 pm. Next to me on the chipping green was a young Asian girl who was doing chipping challenges. She just wanted to go home, but Dad would not let her go until she accomplished whatever it was he wanted. That is not the first time I have seen this around Worthington. This is common among the Asian culture I guess. Though, I have NEVER seen Faith Choi complain about practice.

Also on the range was another young phenom who is now a junior member. I think he is about 11 or 12. Awesome swing. His name is Bach Ngo and he won his age group at The 2016 Masters in the Drive, Chip and Putt final competition. His father just signed him up this year at Worthington. Dad was on the range with the kid, coaching him last night when I got there. I was on the range for 1/2 hour-45 minutes or so. I left and went to the practice green and they were just walking off the range when I left the course after dark. They were likely on the range for awhile before I arrived. This is normal for any player who wants to compete at the highest levels, but it is interesting to watch the way the Asian parents are so invested in their kid's success. This is a daily thing for these kids and parents.

When I was at my old club, there was one good 18 year old who could drive it 340 and hit his 7 iron 225. He thought he was going to make it to the Tour. He practiced most days, but I never saw his parents there supporting him. He decided not to go to college, but rather to just play golf and try to get on a mini tour. As good as he was, he doesn't have a chance. He has no discipline. These young Asians are methodical in their quest to get to the next level. I applaud them. No wonder the LPGA Tour is so ripe with fantastic Korean players. It makes sense to me now.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:38 am

I had a similar experience once when I played with a 14 year old girl who shot 77 or 78 from the men's tees. She finished 2nd in the state high school championship as a freshman. Before the round, she spent a lot of time on the putting green with her father looking over her shoulder the whole time. She told me while we were playing that he was her coach, but that he didn't play himself.

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:16 pm

Cool article. I still think you could take her. :thumbup:
Let's Play 36

CeeBee

Post by CeeBee » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:16 pm

;) No way.
Tee it up!

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:14 pm

I've been beaten by 2 girls half my age. One time was when I was 16. A family friends daughter beat me from the red tees (she shot 4 over that day at 8 years old and got a sponsors exemption to an LPGA tournament when she was 12).

The other time was this year I was only playing 9 and I shot 5 over 41 and got beat by 6 shots. That girl hit 9 greens but seemed to putt with no conviction. Left a lot of reasonable birdies short.
Keep it short stupid.

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:37 pm

This would have been a great thread - Getting Spanked by a Female.

A woman once entered the Ann Arbor City Golf Championship. At the time it was supposed to be the "Men's" championship but they never got around to spelling out that entrants had to be male. They fixed that the next year but in 200X there was a woman competitor. I hoped I would finish ahead of her at the end of the tournament. As it turned out, she was good but not good enough to score from the tips. I kicked her butt. A few weeks later I joined a group that include a man & woman couple. They asked me what I thought about a woman entering the Championship. I told them I had no problem since the entry rules did not address the issue. They were trying to set me up. She was the woman who entered. We all had a laugh but I confirmed the value of keeping my opinions to myself.

The other Brian vs female contest was with an LPGA Futures pro. I challenged her to long drive on three separate holes for a buck. She took the first $2 but I won the last and had her autograph the bill. Today my guess is it is worth ... $1.
Let's Play 36

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:26 am

I was at an event recently where I watched an LPGA pro hit shots to a target that was 150 yards or so away. Every shot was easily 10-15 feet and in from the flag. According to the player's profile page, she is currently ranked around 350 in the world. After watching her hit balls, it was amazing to think that there are 350 women better than that in the world.

Coda1850

Post by Coda1850 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:17 am

That is def. cool. Thanks for posting Doug. Hope she makes it!
Low Round: 83, +11 Green Hill - 09/15/14
Low Round: 83, +11 Indian Meadows - 09/12/15

Mark unread?