Fun with Rangefinding

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Re: Fun with Rangefinding

Postby bkuehn1952 » Fri May 26, 2017 7:03 am

legitimatebeef wrote:I got a Leupold gx2i... It seems like a quality piece, from a heritage type of company.

I had always been under the wrong impression that Leupold was a German company. Hope the weather cooperates for your and the Furman's outing to Long Island. :thumbs

Leupold & Stevens, Inc. is a manufacturer of telescopic sights, red dot sights, spotting scopes, and binoculars located in Beaverton, Oregon, United States. The company, started in 1907, is family owned and has been run by five generations of the family.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

DougE

Postby DougE » Fri May 26, 2017 8:56 am

Wow, I see that a lot of you guys use the Leupold brand. I use Bushnell and had never really considered anything else. I am in the market for an upgrade to my old V2 and was pretty much set on either the Bushnell Tour X or V4 with slope, or the newest version, Pro X2, since they seem to be the top rated ones on many sites, including MyGolfSpy and GolfWRX. And they all offer slope and no slope within one unit so they are legal for most tournament play. They also all offer a super-quick lock-on to the target and a clear indication that you have actually captured the target (and not something else). Not that Leupold models are not highly regarded in reviews and comparisons too, I just don't see much hoopla about them generally speaking. From what little I have read about them, I'm sure some of their models are great, but what is it about them that made you pick (what I always assumed was) a lesser-known name in the rangefinding market over Bushnell? Maybe I am missing something big and should pay more attention to Leupold before I buy anything new. Are the magnification ratios better than the 6X optics of the Bushnells? If so, that would be an important feature.

GBOGEY

Postby GBOGEY » Fri May 26, 2017 10:01 am

DougE wrote:From what little I have read about them, I'm sure some of their models are great, but what is it about them that made you pick (what I always assumed was) a lesser-known name in the rangefinding market over Bushnell?

Two reasons - I have a pretty plain vanilla one so I didn't see much difference between the two brands and the Leopold was $100 cheaper, and I saw the ads that said the German military had used Leopold technology for years - I figured the German sharpshooters seem pretty accurate.

jattruia

Postby jattruia » Fri May 26, 2017 12:27 pm

Awesome; good pick. That slope stuff is def illegal for tournament play, and i think it takes some of the fun out. But like you said you can turn it off. Good luck!

sjduffers

Postby sjduffers » Fri May 26, 2017 1:03 pm

GBOGEY wrote:
DougE wrote:From what little I have read about them, I'm sure some of their models are great, but what is it about them that made you pick (what I always assumed was) a lesser-known name in the rangefinding market over Bushnell?

Two reasons - I have a pretty plain vanilla one so I didn't see much difference between the two brands and the Leopold was $100 cheaper, and I saw the ads that said the German military had used Leopold technology for years - I figured the German sharpshooters seem pretty accurate.

At the time I looked, the Bushnell rangefinder was much bigger than the Leupold, they both had similar features (lock on the pin, pan with multiple readings, 6X magnification), but the display was much clearer in the Leupold GX-3i (red OLED, I think it is), and this is a good, solid American company with a long history, including one of developing optics for the US military, and great customer service.
I'm gonna go low this time...

jattruia

Postby jattruia » Fri May 26, 2017 1:26 pm

I was between Leupold and Bushnell; figure you can't go wrong either way. I read the reviews and at the time, the Leupold Gx1 was the highest rated. It was also a bit smaller and ft the hand better. Plus, their customer service has gotten rave reviews.

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Postby legitimatebeef » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:05 pm

Took my rangefinder to the US Women's Open. What a great idea. I found that I became much more emotionally invested in a player's shot when I knew the yardage. Almost felt like illicit behavior too. I kept getting the urge to blurt out the number so the players could hear it. Then again I also had urges to rip my shirt off run past security and attempt to climb up the side of Trump's little private box. What is that!? Tourette's syndrome or something? Like at the movies, after each preview finishes there's that moment of dead silence... well my mind goes crazy during those little silences and I have to really fight the urge to yell out LAME! or whatever. There is some pathology at play, I think.

Anyways I am getting way off track. If you ever attend a golf tournament consider bringing your rangefinder! :school
insufficient data

Return to “The Legitimategolf Forum”