Fun with Rangefinding

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Fun with Rangefinding

Postby legitimatebeef » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:32 pm

I have finally joined the 21st century. Got myself a cheapish "Precision Pro" model after reading some passable reviews.

Now I am waking up to a whole new world. Sure a rangefinder is great for measuring up the flagstick and what not, but there's more. You can scope trees and water hazards. You can scope the distance to the people jerking around in the fairway in front of you, which means no more time wasted wondering, Are they out of range? No, you might hit them. Better wait. Plus it's kind of fun putting people in the crosshairs knowing you are shooting real laser beams at them.

Two days ago I played my first round of the post-Dark Age and I liked it. Rangefinding seems to make the game somehow both more fun and more serious at the same time. Might take some time to get accustomed to shlepping a fragile optical instrument around the course while guarding against damage or loss, but there will be no turning back. This is probably how I am going to play golf from now til the end of days. There is this one par 5 at Silver Lake, that would always fuck me up mentally in that I could never quite get the layup right. That ends now! Knowledge is power. :fkno
insufficient data

DougE

Re: Fun with Rangefinding

Postby DougE » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:00 pm

'bout time!

Yes, they are great for pin distances, but as important, if not more important, are all the other things you can shoot to give you very usable information. Back side of bunker you need to clear, tree branch reaching out in your path, other golfers to see if they are far enough away to hit (as you said), or even shoot back to the ball washer next to the tee you just drove off of to see exactly how far you hit that awesome drive. Also, they are extremely helpful when working on the range to get distances to all sorts of targets, even things that are not necessarily meant to be targets.

I presently play a Bushnell V2 Tour, but have my eyes on the new Bushnell Tour X, which is legal in tournament play, yet has the slope option, for everyday rounds. Plus, the magnification is much greater than the one I have now. I think it's like 6 or 7 to 1. You'd be surprised how much that can help you understand the area around where you intend to land the ball. How often do you hit a shot and then find when you get to your ball that the area if very different from what you thought and you would have played it differently had you known? Green complexes in particular. With the strong magnification, you can get a much better understanding from long distances out. This stuff is really helpful to know. The magnification feature is also quite helpful when you want to be voyeuristic and see if that guy you know playing in the group ahead uses a foot wedge over there in the rough, or that girl in the short skort on the green ahead is a hot as she looks from 150 yards out. (Not that I would ever do that! ;) )

Glad you joined us in the new century.

srogers13

Postby srogers13 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:28 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:You can scope the distance to the people jerking around in the fairway in front of you, which means no more time wasted wondering, Are they out of range? No, you might hit them. Better wait. Plus it's kind of fun putting people in the crosshairs knowing you are shooting real laser beams at them.

Come on, you know you still want to hit into them. :yess Quit using getting a rangefinder as an excuse to not hit into them. :fk :rofl
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

sjduffers

Postby sjduffers » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:30 pm

Yup! Completely agreed with DougE. Plus, when you need to know to the 10th of a foot where the pin is when planning that hole-in-one! :yess I use a Leupold GX3i, which is very small and compact and super-fast: I can typically announce a distance to my partners in less than 2 seconds.

Welcome to the 21st century, Mr Beef! :banana
I'm gonna go low this time...

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Postby jasonfish11 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:36 pm

I agree with what Doug said.

The one thing that really improved for me once I got one was partial wedge shots. Knowing distances on the range drastically improved my 40-80 yard shots.
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

GBOGEY

Postby GBOGEY » Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:40 pm

I use a really basic leopold model and fell totally lost without it, even if the course has cart GPS to the pin. Only caution be careful when you are getting used to it - one of my first rounds post purchase I hit the most beautiful 130 yard shot ever -right to the tree 30 yards beyond the flag.

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Postby bkuehn1952 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:49 pm

Wow, I feel left out. No fun for Brian. :(
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:43 pm

DougE wrote:'bout time!

Yes, they are great for pin distances, but as important, if not more important, are all the other things you can shoot to give you very usable information. Back side of bunker you need to clear, tree branch reaching out in your path, other golfers to see if they are far enough away to hit (as you said), or even shoot back to the ball washer next to the tee you just drove off of to see exactly how far you hit that awesome drive. Also, they are extremely helpful when working on the range to get distances to all sorts of targets, even things that are not necessarily meant to be targets.

Hell yeah, that is just the kind of inside poop I am hoping to learn about.
insufficient data

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:13 am

legitimatebeef wrote:
DougE wrote:'bout time!

Hell yeah, that is just the kind of inside poop I am hoping to learn about.

I don't think you'll fall into the group of people who feel driving distance = dick measuring contest. But if you've been measuring distance as (scorecard hole length - distance to hole) then you will become amazed at how wrong those distances are. So keep "ignorance is bliss" in mind if you will be massively dejected if your driving distances get cut by 20-40 yards.

jattruia

Postby jattruia » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:00 pm

My god, why do people get into such a pissing contest over driving distance?? A playing partner of mine makes comments all round about how far he hits drives; mostly how he 'didn't get all of it' when i'm within 20 yds of him. So irritating; a 300 yd drive counts as the same number of strokes as 250. Now go ahead and miss the green and three putt the double bogey, pro. I'll catch you on the next tee box up 2 stokes.

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:06 pm

I do think driving distance is a good indicator of someone's POTENTIAL in golf. But it is not a good indicator of how good they actually are at golf.

Other than that it really is just a pissing contest.

GBOGEY

Postby GBOGEY » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:13 pm

jasonfish11 wrote:I don't think you'll fall into the group of people who feel driving distance = dick measuring contest. But if you've been measuring distance as (scorecard hole length - distance to hole) then you will become amazed at how wrong those distances are. So keep "ignorance is bliss" in mind if you will be massively dejected if your driving distances get cut by 20-40 yards.

My opinion is that this has less to do with hole distances being wrong than how they are measured. I once spent a lot of time researching how golf holes are measured because the 17th at my home course is listed as 8 yards longer than the 18th, but it plays at least 25-30 yards longer and both are perfectly flat. I finally decided that measuring through the middle of the fairway through the doglegs led to a substantial differences as opposed to how the hole plays.

Another issue is that most courses I play very almost always have the tee boxes at the scorecard measure point or forward, never backward, so most holes are automatically 5-15 yards shorter. One course I play the typical tee position on the hardest hole is 30-40 yards forward (it is still difficult even reduced). Not sure if this means that course ratings are a lie or not.

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:31 pm

Those are both true.

I've always been curious if courses measured par 4 and 5 holes (for scorecard purposes) to the back of the green, and to the middle of the green for yard marker purposes. That would generally be another 15 yards if true. I have no proof that this is true. But, I feel like there is a stigma that longer courses are better courses. So advertising as 7000 yards is better than 6790 yards.

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:34 pm

jasonfish11 wrote:I don't think you'll fall into the group of people who feel driving distance = dick measuring contest. But if you've been measuring distance as (scorecard hole length - distance to hole) then you will become amazed at how wrong those distances are. So keep "ignorance is bliss" in mind if you will be massively dejected if your driving distances get cut by 20-40 yards.

I am offended at the mere suggestion that a certain something is not all that it could be when in fact it IS all that it should be, and more :fkno
insufficient data

Duke of Hazards

Postby Duke of Hazards » Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:52 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:
I am offended at the mere suggestion that a certain something is not all that it could be when in fact it IS all that it should be, and more :fkno

Nice. :yess

GBOGEY

Postby GBOGEY » Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:04 pm

jasonfish11 wrote:Those are both true.

I've always been curious if courses measured par 4 and 5 holes (for scorecard purposes) to the back of the green, and to the middle of the green for yard marker purposes. That would generally be another 15 yards if true. I have no proof that this is true. But, I feel like there is a stigma that longer courses are better courses. So advertising as 7000 yards is better than 6790 yards.

Most courses measure from the USGA marker, assuming that there is one for each tee box, to the middle of the green. Issue one from what you are referring to is that they rarely set the courses up at that length. Maybe a 3-4 holes are near the marker with the rest at least 5-15 yards shorter. Doesn't seem like much but it can easily be 200 yards and of course you think you are playing one distance when you are really playing shorter and then you come to the occasional course that really plays as long as it says and you don't know what hit you.

The other issue is how they measure par 4 and 5's - it is supposed to be through the center of the fairway but I think that this shifts, either intentionally or unintentionally, over time. My home course is an older course and I'm pretty sure over the years that they have shifted the "center" of the fairway right or left depending on the how the trees are growing on one side or the other. So this is part of my belief as to why the 17th hole seems so much longer than the 18th. Whether a new course could do this intentionally or not I don't know, but it makes sense to me. If you have a 400 yard dogleg right down the center but start mowing the rough so that the fairway on the right side is wider, you can effectively shorten the hole down the middle. Or at least that is my belief.

bkuehn1952

Postby bkuehn1952 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:30 pm

With the exception of a few golf artists who value a well struck shot most highly, the ultimate measuring stick in golf is the score. As @jattruia correctly pointed out, a 300 yard drive gets one exactly -0- until the ball is finally holed out. I also agree with @jfish that someone who can hit a ball a long way has more potential than someone like me, who wields a popgun. Unfortunately for Mr. Longball, potential also gets one -0- in golf until the potential is harnessed and produces good scores.

While we are on the subject of distance, I think we all know how subjective driving distance can be. Go to certain courses in AZ, TX or Scotland and I guarantee most of us can effortlessly hit drives 250-300 yards at times. In fact, there is a little Mom & Pop course locally that has no irrigation system other than hoses & sprinklers for the greens & tees. In the middle of July even I can bust a drive 270 yards on occasion.

I guess my point is, if one wants to truly impress me about their game, show me the scorecard, not the tape measure. I don't pay much attention to long drive stories.
Let's Play 36

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:56 pm

I will report my results, don't you worry. I am one of the leading advocates of self-flagellation for golfers. You should know that.
insufficient data

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:43 pm

bkuehn1952 wrote:With the exception of a few golf artists who value a well struck shot most highly, the ultimate measuring stick in golf is the score. As @jattruia correctly pointed out, a 300 yard drive gets one exactly -0- until the ball is finally holed out. I also agree with @jfish that someone who can hit a ball a long way has more potential than someone like me, who wields a popgun. Unfortunately for Mr. Longball, potential also gets one -0- in golf until the potential is harnessed and produces good scores.

While we are on the subject of distance, I think we all know how subjective driving distance can be. Go to certain courses in AZ, TX or Scotland and I guarantee most of us can effortlessly hit drives 250-300 yards at times. In fact, there is a little Mom & Pop course locally that has no irrigation system other than hoses & sprinklers for the greens & tees. In the middle of July even I can bust a drive 270 yards on occasion.

I guess my point is, if one wants to truly impress me about their game, show me the scorecard, not the tape measure. I don't pay much attention to long drive stories.

SHUT UP AND ARM WRESTLE ME
insufficient data

bkuehn1952

Postby bkuehn1952 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:36 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:SHUT UP AND ARM WRESTLE ME

There are currently 2 New Yorkers whose reactions to perceived slights are almost as predictable as the geyser, "Old Faithful." ;)
Let's Play 36

DougE

Postby DougE » Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:23 pm

The Donald and the Beef, in case anyone was wondering. Just call me Captain Obvious. :roll:

Coda1850

Postby Coda1850 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:01 pm

I also enjoy rangefinding while golfing. Also, the rangefinder didn't put as much shit in my distance face as my GameGolf did...
Low Round: 83, +11 Green Hill - 09/15/14
Low Round: 83, +11 Indian Meadows - 09/12/15

Mark unread?

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:36 pm

Coda1850 wrote:I also enjoy rangefinding while golfing. Also, the rangefinder didn't put as much shit in my distance face as my GameGolf did...

This is true. I never really cared exactly how far I hit a drive, so I've never lasered the tree near the tee box.

Coda1850

Postby Coda1850 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:43 am

Driver distance is in my fucking head. This has been something that has bothered me since Thursday August 18th.
I hit a GameGolf 209yrd typical drive. A child-like distance. I should just get a plastic set of clubs & play in my backyard.
Low Round: 83, +11 Green Hill - 09/15/14
Low Round: 83, +11 Indian Meadows - 09/12/15

Mark unread?

DougE

Postby DougE » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:53 am

Coda1850 wrote:I hit a GameGolf 209yrd typical drive. A child-like distance.

Or a senior-like distance. It's all in the perspective.

Return to “The Legitimategolf Forum”