Fun with Rangefinding

Coda1850

Re: Fun with Rangefinding

Postby Coda1850 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:24 am

DougE wrote:
Coda1850 wrote:I hit a GameGolf 209yrd typical drive. A child-like distance.

Or a senior-like distance. It's all in the perspective.

I went with child-like instead of lady-like. I didn't want to call myself a woman.

Also... senior-like reminds me of some of the older gents I've played with popping it out 200 yards, ho-hum par after ho-hum par... they shoot something like 82 & I shoot something like 97.

ohh, it's just a salty Friday. All is fine, or the same, or whatever.
Low Round: 83, +11 Green Hill - 09/15/14
Low Round: 83, +11 Indian Meadows - 09/12/15

Mark unread?

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Postby legitimatebeef » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:31 am

DougE wrote:
Coda1850 wrote:I hit a GameGolf 209yrd typical drive. A child-like distance.

Or a senior-like distance. It's all in the perspective.

Yeah but don't you think those litte kids and seniors, if they were to get on the GameGolf, wouldn't they also be in for a rude awakening??? :fk

The fact of the matter is WE ALL SUFFER AT THE HANDS OF THESE DISTANCE MEASURING CONTRAPTIONS. ALL OF US.

Great now I am taunting imaginary little kids for not hitting the ball as far as I think they think they do.

THANKS TRUMP
insufficient data

DougE

Postby DougE » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:38 am

All I know is that when I do measure one of my drives of which I think was decent, and it comes up at only 209 yards, I am only mildly disappointed.

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Postby bkuehn1952 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:59 am

I have pretty much given up on checking my GPS for distance yardage on tee shots. I know when I really get a hold of one and check the distance it is always disappointing. The last drive I checked was one that bounced down the cart path. I checked just to see how much I was assisted (80-90 yards). This time of year, as well as Spring, are especially depressing. The ground is often soft and/or aerated and the temperature is low. Anything over 200 yards probably resulted in a sports hernia for me.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Postby jasonfish11 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:01 am

Yeah with out GG I would hit 1 or 2, 300 yard drives per round. In the last 3 years using GG I've hit 2 drives over 300 yards.

That chip in the back of your club really slows swing speed. :D
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:23 pm

More Fun with Rangefinding yesterday. Really loving it. And I feel like it's already helping me play better. I had a 45y shot, pitched to six feet and got up and down, fuckin' a. It's not just that. By playing to specific numbers on all these pitchy shots, I feel like I am now calibrating my shooting in a very meaningful way. As opposed to trying to measure out shots using only visual depth perception--a primitive, unscientific approach that yields spotty results as well as poor or nonexistent feedback for future learning and adapting. Prior to hitting that 45y shot I'd had a couple other pitches around 50 yards, so by then I was starting to get some actual feel for the distance. Goddammit :fkno

BK it is time to get with the times--just ask Santa for one of these things ok? You can do without another motorized necktie rack or whatever this year.
insufficient data

bkuehn1952

Postby bkuehn1952 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:42 pm

legitimatebeef wrote: motorized necktie rack

I am going to pretend I did not see that comment. :fkno
Let's Play 36

GBOGEY

Postby GBOGEY » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:51 am

jasonfish11 wrote:

That chip in the back of your club really slows swing speed.
:D

I don't even bother to try to calculate the length of my drives anymore. I just assume that some combination of wind, fairway roll, whatever influenced the ball, but I just don't believe that my longest drives are going as far as the measurements would indicate. For every 400 yard par 4 where I somehow end up 140 yards out there's a 360 yard hole where I feel like a nailed it and am still 150 out. On courses that I play often, I tend to note my position versus my normal ball - for example, on the 13th at Warrenbrook I typically am between a 6i and a 4H for a decent drive, so for those times when I am a 7i-9i away I just note that I hit it 10-30 yards further than normal with fantasizing about the actual difference.

I do believe that I once drove the ball over 280 yards. No comment as to wind speed and direction.

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:22 pm

I had a decent hit with the 1-wood on sunday, I got there and lasered the tree next to the tee box. It said '244'. OK so it was 45 degrees out and the ground was soft and whatever, but I was still indignant. Obviously it was the wrong tree.
insufficient data

Duke of Hazards

Postby Duke of Hazards » Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:21 pm

For whatever reason, my longest measured drives have come off of what I would describe as an unintentional 'high pull'. Not even a draw, just one where it starts left and goes straight and high. I'm sure there's some biomechanical reason, but there's likely no way that I can capitalize on it and do it intentionally.

bkuehn1952

Postby bkuehn1952 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:45 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:I had a decent hit with the 1-wood on sunday, I got there and lasered the tree next to the tee box. It said '244'. OK so it was 45 degrees out and the ground was soft and whatever, but I was still indignant. Obviously it was the wrong tree.

And if you had not bothered to laser it, you would have felt good about the effort. A certain amount of self delusion is often needed to get the maximum enjoyment out of a round.
Let's Play 36

CeeBee

Postby CeeBee » Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:09 pm

I don't give distance off the tee much thought any more. I will pull the driver and hit it as hard as I can every time. Hole 18 at Poolesville is an arrow straight 400 yards over a gorge from the white tees. Fairway all up hill to the 150 marker. Only made it there a handfull of times over several hundred rounds. That doesn't take much math.

But a couple weeks ago I was at Black Rock and hit what has to be one of the longest drives I've ever hit. Hole was playing 268 up hill. The foursome in front of us was finishing up on the green. Shouldn't have been an issue as I know where my ball typically ends up. I got it all as they say and it rolled across the green. They were pissed.
Tee it up!

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:37 pm

Fun With Rangefinding has morphed into the Bunters Support Group.
insufficient data

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:25 pm

Got hold of a drive today and noticed a thick oak tree conveniently right next to the tee markers. Drove to the ball and lasered back to the tree. 235. I picked a bad time to start measuring my drives. I know it is winter but I feel decrepit. Also I'm probably hitting it too high.
insufficient data

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:59 am

Aside from the shaming my distance and exposing my lameness rangefinding is having a positive impact every time out. It is a major addition to the bag. I could put three more clubs in the bag and it would not make nearly the impact. Haven't even had the thing that long but have already made numerous tasty up and downs with its help. Yesterday I got up and down from 77 yards and from where I was I couldn't see any yardage marking and the green was semi-blind.

I am now approaching wedge shots with a whole new attitude, assertive attitude. And now realize how tentatively I used to play them. I am empowered now.
insufficient data

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Sun Dec 25, 2016 6:51 pm

Wow, you can actually use this thing to locate a ball from a distance. I don't know why this should be such a surprise since a rangefinder is basically a telescope, but I only just figured it out today. Thus instead of waiting around for other people to hit their shots, you can occupy yourself with looking through your lens and trying find your own ball that you weren't sure rolled into the hazard or whatever. Plus you can racially profile the group ahead of you from 300+ yards away. Every round I play with this thing gets me that much farther away from my old unenlightened, non rangefinding self. Frankly I am disgusted with myself for not having gotten into this sooner. You can only imagine how disgusted I am with Kuehn.
insufficient data

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:16 pm

I left my rangefinder at the golf course yesterday. :fk

One of the guys in the cart barn found it and gave it to the "lost and found" box. So I was able to pick it up today. :yess

DougE

Postby DougE » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:22 pm

jasonfish11 wrote:I left my rangefinder at the golf course yesterday. :fk

One of the guys in the cart barn found it and gave it to the "lost and found" box. So I was able to pick it up today. :yess

Give that man a tip.

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:11 pm

DougE wrote:

Give that man a tip.

Sure did

Duke of Hazards

Postby Duke of Hazards » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:49 pm

You can also use this device to ogle the odd unicorn (hot chick golfer in a short skirt) but you have to be careful they don't see you, otherwise you look like the creepiest dude on the planet, doubly so if she's on an adjacent hole.

sjduffers

Postby sjduffers » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:15 pm

DougE wrote:

Give that man a tip.

Great. Good for the cart boys too! I once did that and the m*f*ers didn't turn it in. There is absolutely no doubt where I left it. They should have been fired for pulling a stunt like that, that's what a pro at another course told me later...
I'm gonna go low this time...

sjduffers

Postby sjduffers » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:16 pm

Duke of Hazards wrote:You can also use this device to ogle the odd unicorn (hot chick golfer in a short skirt) but you have to be careful they don't see you, otherwise you look like the creepiest dude on the planet, doubly so if she's on an adjacent hole.

:lolz :rofl
I'm gonna go low this time...

DougE

Postby DougE » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:48 pm

sjduffers wrote:
Duke of Hazards wrote:You can also use this device to ogle the odd unicorn (hot chick golfer in a short skirt) but you have to be careful they don't see you, otherwise you look like the creepiest dude on the planet, doubly so if she's on an adjacent hole.

:lolz :rofl

I'd be lyin' if I said I have never done this! :devil

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:08 am

sjduffers wrote:
DougE wrote:

Give that man a tip.

Great. Good for the cart boys too! I once did that and the m*f*ers didn't turn it in. There is absolutely no doubt where I left it. They should have been fired for pulling a stunt like that, that's what a pro at another course told me later...

Given it's January and Monday they had 30 golfers there was no cart boy. The guy putting carts away Monday night was the guy in the pro shop Tuesday morning when I picked it up.

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Fri May 26, 2017 12:15 am

I got a Leupold gx2i. I'm taking it to Bethpage Black tomorrow. It seems like a quality piece, from a heritage type of company. Loaded with features, too many actually. It measures elevation, and computes a 'true golf range' or some shit, meaning the yardage adjusted for slope and even temperature and elevation. I don't think that crap is kosher so I will turn em off.
insufficient data

Return to “The Legitimategolf Forum”