St John

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Re: St John

Postby jasonfish11 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:25 pm

I really should proof read. Lol the winds switched from being 15-20 mph to 20-30 out of the north. Lol 15-20mph winds don't make 8-10' seas not even against the gulf stream.
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

sjduffers

Postby sjduffers » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:44 pm

CeeBee wrote:Amazing stuff guys. What I don't get Doug, is why you gave up the island life for Connecticut and Maryland. Methinks you may be severely ill.

:rofl :yess
I'm gonna go low this time...

DougE

Postby DougE » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:48 pm

Actually 15-20 knot winds CAN create some pretty big and uncomfortable seas when out of the east, in the North Atlantic between New England and Bermuda (where I usually crossed). The water temperature differences out there are far greater than they are around Florida which will increase the velocity of the Stream. As a matter of fact, before we all had temperature measuring transducers and gps, we used to identify the Gulf Stream by temperature differences using a thermometer in the toilet bowl. We would pump in sea water once we got within 30 miles or so of where we expected to find the north wall of the Stream. Typically, during a Bermuda Race in mid-June, North Atlantic water temps were in the high 50s to low 60s. We would continually pump in new water and measure until we got a drastic warming of the water temp, usually 75* or higher, which would then let us know we had hit the north wall of the Stream. You'd be surprised how definitive that line of temp is. It could change from 65 to 75 degrees in a matter of feet. We could pick up 3 to 4 extra knots for a 100 mile run down a Gulf Stream meander if we hit it in the right place. The difference in water temps creates a greater velocity to the Stream, something you would not necessarily see further south where the disparity in temps between Gulf Stream and surrounding ocean water are much closer. I have seen 10 foot breaking chop, far worse than the 20 ft swell, in 15 knots of easterly wind against the Stream.

I once sailed offshore from Ft. Lauderdale to New York Harbor and on up to Long Island Sound, riding the Stream from 2 miles east of Port Everglades all the way to Hatteras...in a 20 knot norther, just to make the best time I could. Made it to CT in 6 days. It was worth the two days of queasiness for the 2 extra knots of speed. That same trip inside the ditch (Intercoastal Waterway) takes 3 weeks, or more. Though even if I wanted to, I could not have gone ICW. I drew 9 feet and my mast was too tall for some of the fixed bridges along the way. (Over 65 ft.)

We really have to move this thread out of the golf boards. Jason, you keep talking boats and I'll keep replying.

DougE

Postby DougE » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:57 pm

sjduffers wrote:
CeeBee wrote:Amazing stuff guys. What I don't get Doug, is why you gave up the island life for Connecticut and Maryland. Methinks you may be severely ill.

:rofl :yess

Fair question, of which I don't have an easy answer. I have an answer, but it's a long one. It included the following points:

Change
Woman
Money
Civilization
Other Stuff

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:52 am

Yeah I've spent a lot of time fishing in the stream. But not as much as you. Down in FL we normally used color changes, birds and rips to find it. But some tuna guys I know use thermal radars to find the temp changes. Apparently yf tuna are pretty picky about the water temp they are in.

Oddly a couple years ago the stream was causing an upwelling of cold water off ft Lauderdale and Daytona area. The water temp on the beaches in the middle of Summer would drop down into the 60s for a couple days.

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:58 am

Btw that in my opinion is the best factor about sailing. You travel at perfect trolling speed.

But the only sail boat I've ever seen remotely set up to troll off of is my parents. It's odd because I figured more sailors would enjoy eating fresh mahi, or tuna lol.

DougE

Postby DougE » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:03 am

jasonfish11 wrote:
But the only sail boat I've ever seen remotely set up to troll off of is my parents. It's odd because I figured more sailors would enjoy eating fresh mahi, or tuna lol.

Most passage-making sailboats are set up for fishing. Almost all boats that made it to the Islands via offshore passages had fishing gear. The only fishing gear I carried was in my emergency ditch kit, stored with my life raft, in case I had to survive at sea for days after a sinking.

jasonfish11 wrote:Btw that in my opinion is the best factor about sailing. You travel at perfect trolling speed.

What is the perfect trolling speed? We sailed at about 8-9 knots (about 10mph) on most points of sail when the wind was 15-20 knots. Seems kinda fast for trolling speed. Off the wind, in large seas, we could hit speeds of 15 knots. Feels like a hundred knots surfing down the backside of those waves!

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:17 am

I didn't know most larger boats were equipped that way. I just know the smaller island ones I saw around the west coast of FL. There aren't too many "blue water" sail boats in that area lol.

DougE wrote:What is the perfect trolling speed? We sailed at about 8-9 knots (about 10mph) on most points of sail when the wind was 15-20 knots. Seems kinda fast for trolling speed. Off the wind, in large seas, we could hit speeds of 15 knots. Feels like a hundred knots surfing down the backside of those waves!

It really depends what species you are targeting and the lures you are using. 8-9 knots is a little fast, but not unheard of, I've certainly fished at that speed. I'm use to listening to my parents who go 5-8 knots when they are really moving "fast".

For Mahi we would normally go between 5-8 knots depending on a couple factors. What we were fishing (ie weed lines, birds, structure, ect) and the lures we were using, example if you pull a frozen ballyhoo at 8 knots it will get torn to shreds and be worthless but you can pull plugs at 8 knots effectively. But in a sail boat due to a semi lack of maneuverability you probably aren't going to fish birds or structure unless they just happen to be on your route. You might find a good weed line to sail along though.

For tuna my understanding if you are trolling hard lures you can do 8 knots although I'm not a tuna expert, for the most part they were by-catch for me (very exciting and enjoyable by-catch lol).

For wahoo I know people that "high speed troll" up to 18 knots, but that is specialized lures.

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Postby legitimatebeef » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:35 am

Yarrr! This thread is cool. Captain Doug, that's gotta be one of the most interesting jobs a guy can have.
everyone is gay

Coda1850

Postby Coda1850 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:47 pm

Time to add to the St. John thread.

To put it succinctly - IT'S A BOY!
Turns out the wife & came back from our 10 year anniversary trip with a bit of a present. We have a baby boy on the way!!!

St. John - what a place!
Low Round: 83, +11 Green Hill - 09/15/14
Low Round: 83, +11 Indian Meadows - 09/12/15

Mark unread?

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:08 pm

Congrats. That is awesome

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Postby bkuehn1952 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:40 pm

Coda1850 wrote:Time to add to the St. John thread.

Turns out the wife & came back from our 10 year anniversary trip with a bit of a present. We have a baby boy on the way!!!

St. John - what a place!

:thumbs Pretty darn cool.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

bryan k

Postby bryan k » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:50 pm

Congratulations, Mr. Coda.

MattF

Postby MattF » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:42 am

Congratulations!!
Throw me another ball will ya!

DougE

Postby DougE » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:23 am

Congrats to you and the Mrs.

Glad you got to spend some real 'quality' time together in Paradise. ;)

GBOGEY

Postby GBOGEY » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:34 am

Coda1850 wrote:Time to add to the St. John thread.

St. John - what a place!

Congrats. Sounds like a vacation you will be enjoying forever.

Coda1850

Postby Coda1850 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:14 am

Thanks everyone! We're both very excited!!!
Low Round: 83, +11 Indian Meadows - 09/12/15

Mark unread?

Duke of Hazards

Postby Duke of Hazards » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:19 pm

Congrats Coda.

Coda1850

Postby Coda1850 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:17 pm

Thank you as well Duke of Hazards.