The Grumble Thread

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Re: The Grumble Thread

Postby bkuehn1952 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:05 am

My grumble today? Effing rain, fog, clouds. We have had a miraculous January as far as temperatures and lack of snow. The flip side, however, is that we have received a ton of rain, so much so that my winter "go to" Fox Hills is closed. Yesterday it was like frickin' foggy old London from period movies. I had to risk my life just driving to the course. Never saw a single shot land unless I was within 100 yards. With humidity at 100% all day, there was -0- drying out. It rained last evening and it is raining again today. In some spots of the course yesterday the turf was so wet that I left foot prints 3 inches deep down the fairway. I had to choke up on fairway shots because I was 2-3 inches "shorter". Grumble, grumble. :fkno
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Postby jasonfish11 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:58 am

You don't know fog until you've been stuck in it on the ocean. I'm sure Doug can agree. It's super creepy hearing a boat within 50 yards of you going 30 mph (20 miles from shore) but not being able to see it.

As a side note I've seen it so bad where I couldn't see the anchor from the helm (about 18' away). Also one time when I was young my dad said to me (I was laying in the cabin) "Jason I need your help we are in 4' of water heading towards shore and I can't see land." We actually went between 2 spoil islands which were about 50 yards apart and never saw either.
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:27 am

So apparently Bryson Dechambeau's putter was found to be non-conforming because it was "center shafted" but the USGA wont comment. Per Bryson they also stated in their letter to him that they didn't "like the way his putting style looked, but it was with in the rules." Which indicates they are trying to target anything they can to force him to change.

Supposedly they had been hassling him for a couple weeks about his putter, telling him to add led tape and make other modifications. Then the night before his 1st tournament round at the career builder they basically threaten him that they will DQ him if he plays it.

Maybe the lie angle is too upright, or something like that. But with how "scientific" Bryson is, I feel he would have combed over every inch of the USGA specs to make sure he was in conformance.

If any of this is remotely true it just goes to show that the USGA is at heart an elitist organization, who has no intent to "grow the game."

I emailed them stating I would not be paying my membership until they make a public statement as to why his putter is non-conforming.

CeeBee

Postby CeeBee » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:41 am

BS!
Tee it up!

bkuehn1952

Postby bkuehn1952 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:32 am

jasonfish11 wrote:
Maybe the lie angle is too upright, or something like that.

Good thought. Since he is essentially holding the putter in a vertical position, it may be that the USGA believes the shaft divergence should be greater than 10 degrees.

..."the projection of the straight part of the shaft on to the vertical plane through the toe and heel must diverge from the vertical by at least 10 degrees (see Fig. II). If the overall design of the club is such that the player can effectively use the club in a vertical or close-to-vertical position, the shaft may be required to diverge from the vertical in this plane by as much as 25 degrees;...
Let's Play 36

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:36 am

bkuehn1952 wrote:
jasonfish11 wrote:
Maybe the lie angle is too upright, or something like that.

Good thought. Since he is essentially holding the putter in a vertical position, it may be that the USGA believes the shaft divergence should be greater than 10 degrees.

..."the projection of the straight part of the shaft on to the vertical plane through the toe and heel must diverge from the vertical by at least 10 degrees (see Fig. II). If the overall design of the club is such that the player can effectively use the club in a vertical or close-to-vertical position, the shaft may be required to diverge from the vertical in this plane by as much as 25 degrees;...

Yes but all we know so far is what Bryson has stated. Based on his statement they made it non-conforming because it is center shafted. So he put a heel shafted putter into play at the career builder. There was no indication that the specs on the 2 putters were different.

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Postby legitimatebeef » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:05 pm

jasonfish11 wrote:I emailed them stating I would not be paying my membership until they make a public statement as to why his putter is non-conforming.

Good on you. Apologies for using a jokey, retarded phrase but perhaps the USGA swamp needs some draining, seriously. I'm not knowledgeable on what goes on there, but if the US Women's Open trophy presentation last year (during which USGA "president" got shit-faced and repeatedly addressed the tournament winner Brittany Lang as "Bethany" FYI) was any indication at all, it is a bloated organization full of wacked-out morons.
insufficient data

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:34 pm

I'm just getting really tired of the USGA. The notable things they have done recently have not helped push newer people to the game.

1) banning "anchored" putting.
2) Dustin Johnson penalty.
3) Bethany Lang
4) This tift with Bryson.
5) Generally being 50 years late in updating rules.
6) Letting the golf ball fly 400 fucking yards.

But hey they aired some commercials about growing the game. :thumbs

bkuehn1952

Postby bkuehn1952 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:39 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:
jasonfish11 wrote:I emailed them stating I would not be paying my membership until they make a public statement as to why his putter is non-conforming.

Good on you. Apologies for using a jokey, retarded phrase but perhaps the USGA swamp needs some draining, seriously. I'm not knowledgeable on what goes on there, but if the US Women's Open trophy presentation last year (during which USGA "president" got shit-faced and repeatedly addressed the tournament winner Brittany Lang as "Bethany" FYI) was any indication at all, it is a bloated organization full of wacked-out morons.

It still bothers me that a "charitable" organization like the USGA is allowed to amass a fund of $300,000,000 (per 2015 tax return) and run a "profit" of $16,518,728. These numbers all pre-date the deal with Fox. It is not like the USGA is going to buy golf courses or Taylor-Made. Why do they need $300,000,000? I wonder if the USGA Board doesn't know what to do with the money. Obviously they don't need pay the winners of the US Open more. Everyone at the USGA gets paid well. They probably pay to send a small army of blue blazers to every USGA championship. There is only so much golf research they can fund.
Let's Play 36

Duke of Hazards

Postby Duke of Hazards » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:23 pm

These dumbasses and the 'way golf is supposed to look.'

GBOGEY

Postby GBOGEY » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:40 am

Played in a a shamble outing yesterday. For some reason on a reasonably hard course they decided to play tees that were 6500 yds on a par 70. I was the best player in my group and had to hit FW and hybrid into something like 10 greens and 6i into 4 others - no fun. There was a 36 handicapper in the group and there was no way he could contribute even with double strokes. Who comes up with these things.

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:03 pm

So I forgot that the battery in my laser died yesterday. I played 4 holes this morning w/o the laser. Wow that was a pain in the ass.

It took me nearly 10 extra minutes to play 4 holes. I'm sure 2-3 min of that was due to me hitting a 2nd shot on the par 3 8th given my yardage was way off on the 1st shot as well as having a go at #9 in 2 after laying up on my first ball. But finding the ball, then finding and pacing off a sprinkler head is way more time consuming than I remembered.

#9 I hit an ok drive but had somewhere between 225-260 over the water and the sprinkler heads weren't marked. So I decided to just lay up w/ the 1st ball and hit a 2nd just to see if I would have cleared it. I hit a weak fade and splashed it so I'm still not sure what my yardage was. Doug will like this but I fished through my balls to make sure I was hitting a proV1 on my 2nd ball. Didn't want to potentially splash one of my good MG C4's. Lol how many people can say they looked for a ProV1 to hit over water in case they lost it?

Need to go get a battery today after work.

jattruia

Postby jattruia » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:13 pm

jasonfish11 wrote:It took me nearly 10 extra minutes to play 4 holes.

It's unreal how much these things speed up play. I haven't had to pace off sprinklers in years, and don't miss it at all.

DougE

Postby DougE » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:33 pm

I am hitting the ball with authority lately, but just cannot seem to score very well. Partially because I am trying to integrate a new move into my swing, but, I feel it's mostly due to extremely thick, nearly unplayable, deep rough. It is the most penal rough I have ever played. US Open-style, only in the US Open, there is typically a first cut of rough about 4-6 feet wide along the fairways, which is more playable. If we had that at my course, I would probably save a bunch of shots and be hitting many more greens.

My drives have been long (for me) of late, but I can't seem to keep enough of them in the fairway. Most are landing in the fairway, but many are bouncing a few feet into the rough. And when they do, even if only a foot or two off the fairway, it is penal. Bigly penal (as an orange-faced, whispy-haired imbecile I know of would say). Some areas are over 6 inches long and as thick as you've ever seen. I'm getting very frustrated and about ready to complain to the Superintendent.

I lost three brand new ProVs today, right out of the box, on well hit shots, that rolled into the rough and could not be found. In one instance, I hit a perfect 2nd shot on a par 5 with a 3W over a hill without being able to see the result. However, I had 258 yards to the end of the fairway, and another 15-20 yards of thick rough before a water hazard. I hit the shot sweet. Dead center, right on target. Now I typically hit my 3W between 195 and 220. I have cranked a few over 230. But there was no way I could have reached the hazard 270 or more out. The way I hit it, I expected to find it dead center in the fairway, 20 yards short of the fairway end. As I came over the hill I searched the fairway and saw nothing. I drove along the edges figuring that maybe it had trickled to one of the sides. Nothing. I searched into the rough at the end of the fairway. It had to be there. there was no way it reached the hazard. Impossible. Never found it. It's in that rough somewhere. For sure. And I'm pissed. Probably the nicest 3W I have hit all year and what to I get? A lost ProV. (This is the grumble thread right?)

Coincidentally, two weeks ago, one of the grounds crew whose primary job it is to mow the rough every couple days, had a major heart attack while on the job. Almost died. Luckily, the course had recently gotten a defibrillator and one of the foremen was able to get his heart restarted while the ambulance was on the way. Nice guy who I have spent a lot of time speaking with while out there near where he's mowing. I feel terrible for him, but this long thick rough is killing my game since he went down. He won't be back for awhile, if ever. We need the rough cut now, and at least twice a week.

jfurr

Postby jfurr » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:22 am

DougE wrote: one of the grounds crew whose primary job it is to mow the rough every couple days, had a major heart attack while on the job. Almost died. Luckily, the course had recently gotten a defibrillator and one of the foremen was able to get his heart restarted while the ambulance was on the way. Nice guy

Speedy recovery.
I'm gonna hit a provisional
HCP Index :facepalm

jfurr

Postby jfurr » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:50 pm

I just found my GPS :P
... which has been missing for about a year and a half :jesus

srogers13

Postby srogers13 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:01 pm

jfurr wrote:I just found my GPS :P
... which has been missing for about a year and a half :jesus

What were you looking for when you found the GPS?
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

DougE

Postby DougE » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:00 pm

jfurr wrote:
DougE wrote: one of the grounds crew whose primary job it is to mow the rough every couple days, had a major heart attack while on the job. Almost died. Luckily, the course had recently gotten a defibrillator and one of the foremen was able to get his heart restarted while the ambulance was on the way. Nice guy

Speedy recovery.

Update: Not to be a downer, but unfortunately, the poor man never came completely out of it and had to be put into a coma for some reason. Don't really know all the specifics. No one at the club was privy to those details. After the initial attack, he had stopped breathing and had no heartbeat for at least a few minutes before they got it restarted with the defibrillator, so it's quite likely there was some brain damage. I know he was on a ventilator from the time they got him to the hospital. Evidently, he could not breath on his own. His daughter let the guys at the club know last Friday that they were taking him off the ventilator and there wasn't much that could be done. He passed away earlier this week.

I realize you guys don't know him, and I hardly did either. But this kinda hit me. His name was Tim. That's all I knew. He would stop and talk to me while he was mowing the rough, almost every time he saw me. I feel like he didn't know many people as he had recently moved to the area. He seemed like a pretty simple man, who didn't have a whole lot. He was 58 years old and mowing rough, day in and day out, and seemed happy to have that job. I felt like he went out of his way to be friendly to me, and in return, I made it a point to stop and talk with him whenever the opportunity arose. We weren't friends, but we enjoyed talking. I'm sure it broke up his monotonous work. And as long as I wasn't in a rush due to pace of play, I would shoot the crap with him for a few minutes each time I ran into him out there, particularly when I was playing alone. We both got something out of it.

His truck is still sitting in the parking lot at the course. Very sad reminder to see each day. RIP Tim.

jfurr

Postby jfurr » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:41 am

That is very sad, Doug. Damn. I wonder if I would have rathered die on the course than into a helpless coma for a couple weeks.

bryan k

Postby bryan k » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:21 am

That is sad, Doug. There are fixtures on the course that we kind of all just get used to after a while, and when they are gone, it feels like we lose a part of ourselves. There was a starter named Bob at one of my regular courses for years and years. Bob was always old to me, but he was one of the coolest guys I've ever met. One day, he wasn't there.

Of course, he had passed away. I think he was in his 90s. The course decided not to fill his position for the remainder of that summer in order to honor his memory. The next spring, there was a new starter and a small monument memorializing Bob's contribution to the local golf scene. That monument is still there. Now, when I see it, it makes me happy to think that Bob was able to do what he loved doing well into his retirement while getting paid for it. In my eyes, that's the perfect life. I envy Bob in a way. And I still miss him.

bkuehn1952

Postby bkuehn1952 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:28 am

We had a clubhouse worker that was really a bitter and mean guy. He would give you crap about almost anything. He gave me shit one April when a friend and I showed up on Saturday as a 2-some. He warned us that he would not start a 2-some but decided to give us a break just this one time (we were the only two people at the course). It snowed off and on that day and the total receipts were our 2 green fees.

At any rate, he eventually retired, much to the relief of the golfing public and the balance of the course's staff. When he passed away they named the junior city golf championship after him - The Herb Fowler Junior City Golf Championship. Supposedly he was nice to kids, something which I find hard to conceive.
Let's Play 36

Return to “The Legitimategolf Forum”