The Grumble Thread

srogers13

Re: The Grumble Thread

Post by srogers13 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:25 pm

We finally got the Koreans to understand not to pay their bets off every hole, and let people play through if they do not speed up. Course management had a come to Jesus meeting with Hyundai.
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

bryan k

Post by bryan k » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:03 pm

legitimatebeef wrote::lolz That's a good grumble and I can imagine being in that situation. That is just like people. In an empty bus, choice to sit anywhere, some idiot will always pick a seat near yours.

Lately I've been having some serious grumbles about the way people ride escalators. What is up with that? I feel that once the grade has leveled off, it won't kill you to start walking toward the exit. But I find that most people stand there and stare at the floor waiting til the last possible moment before they have start using their legs again. So lazy.
In Europe, the cultural norm is to climb up or down the stairs along with the escalator. They will frequently even paint a yellow stripe down the middle to have walkers on one side and riders on the other.

I got my shoe lace caught in an escalator once. It kind of sucked. I thought I was going to lose my foot until the lace snapped. Since then, I have a tendency to be very, very careful around escalators.

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:52 am

At Dyker Beach Golf Course is sometimes referred to as the busiest golf course in the world and it's also where you'll find some of the dumbest people in the world. Yesterday was a bitterly cold and windy day, there were maybe 20 people on the entire course and the starter made me (in a cart) wait for and pair up with a walking single because "golf is meant to be played in groups" and because "if I let you two go out as singles, then the next people who show up will all be waiting on you." I even tried to press him to explain the logic (along with "What people?" obviously), and some words came out, but of course none of it made any sense. I was infuriated at the time but looking back on it you really can only feel sorry for people like this, and what has to be a daily struggle to make sense out of the most basic of situations.
A golfball wizard's
got such a supple wrist-cock

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:02 am

Ummm, if groups behind are waiting on you (the singles) would that not mean you were waiting on groups in front of you? I have never had a group wait on me as a single, whether I was walking or carting, unless I was held up.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:03 am

srogers13 wrote:Ummm, if groups behind are waiting on you (the singles) would that not mean you were waiting on groups in front of you? I have never had a group wait on me as a single, whether I was walking or carting, unless I was held up.
Don't make the same mistake I did and attempt to understand a moron's logic.
A golfball wizard's

MattF

Post by MattF » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:04 pm

You can't put brains into statues.
Throw me another ball will ya!

jattruia

Post by jattruia » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:22 am

That's a new one...that groups would be waiting on singles with an empty course ahead of them.

So did you split from the walker after a hole or two? On a cold day like that i wouldn't want to be sitting in a cart waiting on the walker. I'd rather fly through the round at my own pace and keep the body moving.

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Post by bkuehn1952 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:31 pm

The playing of music on the golf course is a relatively new phenomenon. I was playing Tuesday and started to make the trek from #9, through a tunnel under the railroad tracks. As I emerged from the tunnel I was met by some heavy bass thump and melodious lyrics blasting from a 4-some playing #3 ("Shake ya ass, shake ya ass, shake ya ass in my face ...").

I have read threads elsewhere how players like to have their tunes but they are always super considerate. They play the volume at a low level so only someone standing next to the speaker can hear the music, they turn it down if someone is playing nearby, etc... No doubt there are a few people who actually walk that walk. My experience is that if a group has music, it is loud enough for everyone in the vicinity to hear.

You want music on the course? Wear some headphones, ear buds, whatever. :fk
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

DougE

Post by DougE » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:52 pm

:fk Totally agree.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:26 pm

bkuehn1952 wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:31 pm
The playing of music on the golf course is a relatively new phenomenon. I was playing Tuesday and started to make the trek from #9, through a tunnel under the railroad tracks. As I emerged from the tunnel I was met by some heavy bass thump and melodious lyrics blasting from a 4-some playing #3 ("Shake ya ass, shake ya ass, shake ya ass in my face ...").

I have read threads elsewhere how players like to have their tunes but they are always super considerate. They play the volume at a low level so only someone standing next to the speaker can hear the music, they turn it down if someone is playing nearby, etc... No doubt there are a few people who actually walk that walk. My experience is that if a group has music, it is loud enough for everyone in the vicinity to hear.

You want music on the course? Wear some headphones, ear buds, whatever. :fk
I think playing one's music on a speaker in public is a real indicator, of being especially shitty and out of it. Like how children are in other words, because they are too immature to quite understand the concept of a society. This past week I was at the range and some yuppie dweeb had his phone laying lying on the mat near his feet pumping his dweeby Coldplay or whatever. I really debated whether to have a confrontation. In the end it's a waste of time, people who would do this sort of thing are beyond help. They lack a certain specific awareness. I mean, nobody likes having to be conscientious all the time but most of us understand that we are in a social contract that we all agreed to so that we can share space and facilities without people rage-killing each other on a regular basis. I think only a slight majority of people actually understand what society means, how it's not a naturally occurring thing and that it's an abstract concept that needs to be propped up by a bunch of social mores and laws. The rest of people just kind of float along. Animals, is what I call them.
A golfball wizard's

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:43 pm

So I'm out of town and wanted to play today at a local muni. I picked this muni, despite an average reputation, because it has lots of walkers and I was in the mood for a stroll. I tried to make a tee time on golf now, but it wouldn't allow a single so I called the course and they set me up to play at 9:20. No problems.

I arrive early and to to check in. I'm immediately told that since my tee time is after 9:00, I can only play 9 holes because they have tournament later on. I complain that I was told I had a time for 18 holes - didn't matter. So I left and went to another course that isn't really walkable. Frustrating day.

DougE

Post by DougE » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:39 am

As I mentioned in the WTF Did You Shoot Today? thread, I had a good round going yesterday until we ran into a Korean women's outing who was finishing up on the 15th green when we pulled up to the tee. Up until that point, I was playing some good golf. They took me out of my rhythm the rest of the way by their ridiculously slow play. Luckily it was late and the course was otherwise not busy, so we were able to play the first 14 holes in about 2 hours or so. We did skip around one foursome, but did go back and play the hole when we finished the front nine.

So, I understand that Koreans have a culture that is different than ours. I'm not racist. It's a fact. They are who they are because that is how they were brought up. They are a smart, accomplished people, particularly those who live in the DC area. I feel that, in their minds, all others are beneath them. This is generally speaking, not a blanket statement. I know many Koreans who are not like that at all. But these four women, who were the last group in their outing and had lost touch with the rest of their outing, were totally oblivious to anything outside of their foursome. Either they didn't see people waiting for 5-10 minutes behind them on every shot, or it didn't register to them how slow they actually were, or they just didn't care. In any case, I feel their disregard for anyone other than themselves ruined my last 3 holes where I had a chance to really turn in a nice score. But, the worst of it happened on the final hole.

BTW, the sunset was a good half hour away when we ran into them. By the 18th tee, I could see it get darker and darker as I stood there waiting for them to get out of my way. After hitting my drive to the center of the fairway on this par 5, I sat there and waited again for about 5 more minutes for them to get up close to the green. It was getting dark. Steaming in my head due to their play I was so focused on them I forgot to focus on my shot and hit the only bad shot of my round. A skulled 3W into rough which still left me 175 yards out. Now I'm really pissed.

I wait again for another 5 or 10 minutes while they putt out and walk to their cart. Hit a nice shot in, but just right of the green on a side hill. I drive up to the green and they are still sitting there on the cart path. I parked about 20 yards short of them. They are talking loudly in Korean to each other. I get to my ball and they are still talking. I realize they aren't going to stop. I flop one cleanly onto the green, but it rolls by about 8 feet. Still a chance to make par. They have still not moved. They are talking away, loudly. I get over my putt. I need this one. It's just about dark. They continue talking. I try to focus. All I can think of is them talking. I look up at them. I raise my hands. I say "C'mon on." They don't even look my way. I am pissed. I putt the ball. I miss short.

I walk up the hill to my cart and they are still sitting there talking. Loudly. I get in the cart and start to move up on them thinking they will finally move. They have to, they are blocking the cart path as they are side by side with no room to go around without taking the chance of rolling my cart over. The hill is steep on both sides of them. I pull right up to the back of their cart. They don't move. I say, "Excuse me." They don't even look back. We are only 5 feet apart! They are discussing their scorecard and paying not one bit of attention to us. One of them gets out of their cart and walks around to the driver's side of the other cart and never looks back at us. We ARE RIGHT THERE BEHIND THEM! We finally took the chance, leaned hard right and drove around them on the steep grass slope, staying no more than a few feet away from them as we did, to lessen the chance of rolling the cart. We looked at them like they were unbelievably rude as we went around, but even then, they did not look up from their little scorecard party. What is wrong with these women? I wanted to have it out with them, but I'm not sure they would understand what I was talking about. They were in their own little world and no one outside of it existed.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:07 am

DougE wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:39 am
I'm not racist.
You don't have to say that my friend. Not here. Sorry you got dicked around. How does such fuckery happen at a place called Worthingtons Manor. Or anything Manor for that matter. I thought the whole point of a private golf club is to keep undesirables outside the gates.
A golfball wizard's

DougE

Post by DougE » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:53 am

It's not private. It a top-tier, daily fee public course with membership options, but no option to keep others from paying and playing if they have the cash and, one would hope, the game. Unfortunately the latter isn't always something they have. And etiquette, IMO, is a big part of the game.

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:48 pm

So I'm opening the betting lines on how long this round will take today. Let me set the scene for you.

1st tee at 1:20. A 2 some is waiting on the 2 some in the fairway. I stroll up with my push cart and no one says a word, which is fine. One of the guys on the box is in long black pants with a fluffy tiger driver cover. The other proceeds to hit his drive 20 yards and takes a Mulligan and they are off. They stop in the first fairway to get something from the beer cart lady. I'm now on the 2nd tee.

So how long?
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

DougE

Post by DougE » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:57 pm

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Post by bkuehn1952 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:59 pm

5:10

Now, enter your guesses on this.

We played day 2 of the Ann Arbor senior Golf Championship today. I did not play well or badly and carded an "80" in the first round. That put me in Flight 2 (Champion, 1st, 2nd, etc...). For some reason they had the 8th flight go off first at 7:20am and then the 2nd flight followed them, not the 7th Flight. On top of that, I and another 2nd Flighter followed this pack of 100 shooting competitiors as a 2-some.

We normally play as 3-somes in these tournaments but we had a number not divisible by 3.
We teed off at 8:10am and finished at 11:55am I was flabbergasted. As a twosome, we took our time and tried to not wait on any shot. We always teed off when the lead group was at the green and found things to slow us down. We anyone behind us was always 2 holes back or more. 3 hours and 45 minutes playing tournament golf, following the groups that shot 95+. And we are seniors. I have no explanation for this. I really really wanted to grumble but dang it, those idiots played at a decent pace.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:20 pm

So things really picked up, I think they were embarrassed a walker was keeping up with them.

With storms rolling in I decided to press a little. I walked up to the 16th tee box right now with them just finishing teeing off. They didn't ask if I wanted to play with them. Normally I wouldn't care, but with storms coming it's the right thing to do. Time to start nipping at their heels.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:03 pm

It was a full out sprint between shots on 18 I told the other guys I was going to play that hole with them but they didn't need to wait for me. The rain was coming down pretty good right as I hit a shitty tee shot. At least the lightning held off until I got to the car.

Everyone really picked it up I probably played the last 5 holes in 45-60 min.

Given how the first hole went I'm amazed that it was almost 3 hour round.

I didn't want to ruin Doug's guess but I could tell around the 3rd hole that the 1st hole was kind of an anomaly, the group in front of me was pretty fast to pick up and move on.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:21 am

DougE wrote:
As I mentioned in the WTF Did You Shoot Today? thread, I had a good round going yesterday until we ran into a Korean women's outing who was finishing up on the 15th green when we pulled up to the tee. Up until that point, I was playing some good golf. They took me out of my rhythm the rest of the way by their ridiculously slow play. Luckily it was late and the course was otherwise not busy, so we were able to play the first 14 holes in about 2 hours or so. We did skip around one foursome, but did go back and play the hole when we finished the front nine.
Must have been a good weekend for distracting behavior. We had a single who was behind us who getting closer to us for several holes. I was on the verge of saving what was a below average round - the 14th hole is one of the more difficult holes on this course but is followed by easier holes 15-17 and then a very difficult 18. My drive on 14 was absolutely stellar - perfect long draw to fit shape of hole - I ended up 100 yards out instead of the more typical 150. As our 4th was teeing off I looked back to the 13th green and saw the single was finishing up. I waved for him to come through, but he didn't see me. Never looked up - instead went back to where he missed the green practiced re-chipping a few balls. Since he wasn't paying attention we went to our shots. At this point he decides to skip 14 and go on around us taking his cart down the path. I see him going by as I'm about to hit my shot and I'm thinking, "that's rude - he should wait until we hit to drive through," and also feeling bad he didn't get to play through while also blaming him for not even looking at us. So any way I decided that since he wasn't in danger I would go ahead and hit even though he was still driving around us but my concentration was ruined. Totally blade an easy wedge over the green. Dropped another and hit the ball easy 15 feet away.
Missed short birdie putt on 15, routine pars on 16-17, and then FUBAR drive on 18 for worst round since moving. Don't like making excuses but felt like the guy's actions really helped ruin the round.

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:47 am

DougE wrote:

So, I understand that Koreans have a culture that is different than ours. I'm not racist. It's a fact. They are who they are because that is how they were brought up.
I would say you found more of an outlier with this group of women than the norm. We have a major Hyundai plant and a lot of the tier one suppliers around where I live, and generally, the Korean women do not lollygag, they play pretty fast, even the walkers. Now the Korean men, let's say that took a lot of work where I play to get them to a respectable timeframe of playing.

DougE

Post by DougE » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:47 am

I agree. Most Korean women around here are not usually that slow either (though most Korean men are excessively slow, particular on the greens), but this group of women had already lost touch with the rest of the outing. They were at least two holes behind. It could be why they were the last group in the outing. Maybe the organizers knew that and purposely put them out last. I know that happens a lot in all sorts of outings when the slow players are all well known to each other.

As an aside, we had a member at my old club who was a really nice guy, but was so notoriously slow, he was always put in the last group of a stroke tournament whenever possible. Everyone knew why. At other times during public play when the course was slow, it was not unusual to get a response from a ranger when we asked what the hold up was, of simply, "Jim B. is a few groups ahead of you." Nuff said!