The Grumble Thread

User avatar
DougE
Posts: 2072
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:40 pm
Location: Maryland
dogs: 1
Contact:

Re: The Grumble Thread

Post by DougE » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:13 pm

Oh it impacted them. Even if it wasn't actually your fivesome that was slowing things up, when you are waiting, and behind a fivesome, you are ready to explode! (At least, I am.) NO FIVESOMES Goddammit!

User avatar
GBOGEY
Posts: 733
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:22 pm
Contact:

Re: The Grumble Thread

Post by GBOGEY » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:21 pm

I'm sure they were annoyed, but they could also see that we were having to wait so hopefully they weren't too pissed off.

User avatar
DougE
Posts: 2072
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:40 pm
Location: Maryland
dogs: 1
Contact:

Re: The Grumble Thread

Post by DougE » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:52 am

A fivesome in front of you, no matter how quickly they may be playing, still adds to your frustration on a slow-play day. Instead of waiting to finally play your shot after waiting for four people to have hit theirs in front of you, you have to wait even longer. In my opinion, fivesomes are just WRONG on any busy golf course.

I have been playing in groups when someone else in the group has taken it upon himself to spontaneously invite a 5th to play along with us either while we are already out on the course, or just before we tee off. At that point, I'll just bow out. Not only do I not want to be a hypocrite---since I always speak so derogatorily of fivesome allowance---but, I have a hard enough time with all the distractions that come along with playing with three other sometimes etiquettely-challenged people, let alone four. It's very distracting, unless everyone is playing seriously, but even then, the extra time required for an extra person to go through his pre-shot, set-up and actual shot can get me out of any good rhythm I may have been able to acquire. I have a hard time concentrating when there is too much going on around me. That's just me.

User avatar
jasonfish11
Posts: 3372
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:27 pm
Location: Virginia Beach
dogs: 2
Contact:

Re: The Grumble Thread

Post by jasonfish11 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:58 am

Yeah I'm with Doug on this one.

5-somes are a no-no unless the course is open and no one is waiting behind you (even if you are waiting on a group in front).
Keep it short stupid.

User avatar
jasonfish11
Posts: 3372
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:27 pm
Location: Virginia Beach
dogs: 2
Contact:

Re: The Grumble Thread

Post by jasonfish11 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:08 am

I have played as a 7-some one time. But no one was on the course and we broke a lot of other rules.

It was at a country club my friend belonged to. A group of us always talked about playing a 1 to 5 match. Where you tee off on #1 tee, and hole out on #5 and don't need to hole out on any other holes. So you can cut across fairways over tee boxes, etc.

We talked to the head pro and he seemed interested in letting us do it as long as we didn't hit shots off the greens and the 9 was open (27 holes at this course) so one day when it wasn't busy he called my buddy and told us if we wanted to do it today was the day (we were in high school and had no obligations).

If I remember I holed out in about 15 strokes. I hit a drive down #1 fw, then went over the trees into the 9th rough. Tried to hit 3w over the late towards the #4 tee box and I came up about 15 yards short. Dropped hit over to the #7 fw, then back over the shorter part of the lake to the #4 tee boxes. Then my next shot didn't make it high enough to get over the trees to the 5th tee box. So I had to punch out and lay up short of the lake just past the #5 tee box. Hit one over the lake miss the green w/ wedge chip on and 2 putt.

My friend won by going down #1, laying up short of the green and hitting something over to the #7 tee box, going backwards down #6, then playing from #6 tee box back to #5 green (it's a long walk from #5 to #6 and it's all rough which is why I went the other way).
Keep it short stupid.

User avatar
GBOGEY
Posts: 733
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:22 pm
Contact:

Re: The Grumble Thread

Post by GBOGEY » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:01 pm

So today was beautiful weather here, tee sheets were full. We had a threesome behind us. As we were on the 5th tee, one of the guys approaches my wife and asks if they can play through. She says she doesn't know the etiquette, but she would talk to the group. We were at that point maybe half a hole behind with miles of foursomes in front of us. Personally I think it was a bunch of grumpy old guys with 3 behind 4 and seeing a woman playing and decided to complain. We played on but after teeing off on 8 I walked over to the 7th tee and told them why didn't they go through at the turn but I warned them there was no where to go. So on 9 we catch up to the group in front of us and actually had to wait to tee off and hit our final approaches (they also waited on the group in front of them). We also thought that the grumpy guys hit into us although the ball may have been from another hole. Front 9 was under 2 hours.

So our group decided that even though it wasn't necessary, we would let the grumpy guys go through. Meanwhile we took a quick break and watched the group in front of us wait at 10 (par 3). So the guys behind come up right about the time that 10 clears and we ask them if they still want to go through. They said sure, but that they needed to go into the clubhouse before continuing. Really ticked me off - we just went and played the back and ignored them. In fact, they really didn't have to wait for us except for maybe one hole. Still I was ticked at the rudeness.

User avatar
legitimatebeef
Posts: 6100
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:34 pm
Location: island off the coast of america
dogs: 1
Contact:

Re: The Grumble Thread

Post by legitimatebeef » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:26 pm

GBOGEY wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:01 pm
So today was beautiful weather here, tee sheets were full. We had a threesome behind us. As we were on the 5th tee, one of the guys approaches my wife and asks if they can play through. She says she doesn't know the etiquette, but she would talk to the group. We were at that point maybe half a hole behind with miles of foursomes in front of us. Personally I think it was a bunch of grumpy old guys with 3 behind 4 and seeing a woman playing and decided to complain. We played on but after teeing off on 8 I walked over to the 7th tee and told them why didn't they go through at the turn but I warned them there was no where to go. So on 9 we catch up to the group in front of us and actually had to wait to tee off and hit our final approaches (they also waited on the group in front of them). We also thought that the grumpy guys hit into us although the ball may have been from another hole. Front 9 was under 2 hours.

So our group decided that even though it wasn't necessary, we would let the grumpy guys go through. Meanwhile we took a quick break and watched the group in front of us wait at 10 (par 3). So the guys behind come up right about the time that 10 clears and we ask them if they still want to go through. They said sure, but that they needed to go into the clubhouse before continuing. Really ticked me off - we just went and played the back and ignored them. In fact, they really didn't have to wait for us except for maybe one hole. Still I was ticked at the rudeness.
Ugh I hear you man. Golf really SUCKS sometimes doesn't it. :fuckall
Build a bridge and get over it.

User avatar
bkuehn1952
Posts: 2476
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:08 pm
Location: The Mitten-Shaped Sponge
dogs: 0
Contact:

Re: The Grumble Thread

Post by bkuehn1952 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:27 am

Last weekend was one of the best weather periods in December. Temps above freezing for 72 hours, highs around 45 degrees, partly to mostly sunny. And I was laying in bed with a severe cold. :wah

I am ready to go now and the weather sucks. :onfire
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

User avatar
DougE
Posts: 2072
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:40 pm
Location: Maryland
dogs: 1
Contact:

Re: The Grumble Thread

Post by DougE » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:23 pm

I thought I had a good part time job, but I guess I lost it to a club pro. I interviewed a few weeks back for a position in the pro shop at Whiskey Creek, one of the top daily fee courses in the state. Had a real nice meeting with both the club pro and the GM. They each met with me for over an hour, individually. There was a real nice repore going. They were starting to show me how I would do different tasks. When I left I said I enjoyed meeting them and the GM said, "I'm sure we'll be talking very soon." It looked like a slam dunk.

Evidently, at the 11th hour, a PGA teaching pro slipped in and stole it out from under me. It would have been a decent wage for part-time work in the golf industry and free golf at a course as nice as Worthington (albeit not quite as challenging). And it is only about 5 miles from my home. I'm a little bummed. Before I interviewed, I wasn't sure I even wanted the job. But then after the interview I was psyched about the opportunity to work at such a premier establishment. Then it fell apart. I barely started to count my chickens and POOF, it was gone. :bawl

User avatar
Duke of Hazards
Posts: 1317
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:29 am
Location: Orange, CA
Contact:

Re: The Grumble Thread

Post by Duke of Hazards » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:36 am

Their loss, Doug.
Bluto did it

User avatar
MattF
Posts: 1105
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:55 pm
dogs: 1
Contact:

Re: The Grumble Thread

Post by MattF » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:21 am

This is my last day in Florida. :bawl
Throw me another ball will ya!

User avatar
jasonfish11
Posts: 3372
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:27 pm
Location: Virginia Beach
dogs: 2
Contact:

Re: The Grumble Thread

Post by jasonfish11 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:44 am

I know Doug has talked about tendinitis in his elbow. I too am suffering from the same thing. I took down my "hitting bay" in my house about 6 weeks ago and told myself to not use it until my elbow was fine. Also before I hit indoors I'd hit some balls outside first to make sure there is no pain.

I was going to go to the range on my lunch break when I worked from home this week, but I was slammed and didn't even take a break. It's been 6 weeks since I've hit a golf ball. My elbow is just now starting to feel normal again, but even after that 96 I shot in my last round I'm starting to get the itch to hit balls again.
Keep it short stupid.

User avatar
CeeBee
Posts: 795
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:10 pm
Location: De
dogs: 1
Contact:

Re: The Grumble Thread

Post by CeeBee » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:24 pm

Take your time brother.
Tee it up!

User avatar
bkuehn1952
Posts: 2476
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:08 pm
Location: The Mitten-Shaped Sponge
dogs: 0
Contact:

Re: The Grumble Thread

Post by bkuehn1952 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:27 pm

DougE wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:23 pm
I thought I had a good part time job, but I guess I lost it to a club pro ...Evidently, at the 11th hour, a PGA teaching pro slipped in and stole it out from under me.
I suspect that position will open up again. The club pro may find a better position or may not work out. Keep in touch with Whiskey Creek and they will probably come calling.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

User avatar
legitimatebeef
Posts: 6100
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:34 pm
Location: island off the coast of america
dogs: 1
Contact:

Re: The Grumble Thread

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:00 pm

Yeah Doug that sucks and I sure hope they come a calling again. During your shift I figure I could sneak in there wearing some jogger pants.
Build a bridge and get over it.

User avatar
DougE
Posts: 2072
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:40 pm
Location: Maryland
dogs: 1
Contact:

Re: The Grumble Thread

Post by DougE » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:01 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:00 pm
During your shift I figure I could sneak in there wearing some jogger pants.
:nope

User avatar
Duke of Hazards
Posts: 1317
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:29 am
Location: Orange, CA
Contact:

Re: The Grumble Thread

Post by Duke of Hazards » Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:31 am

Doug's the sheriff. Don't mess.
Bluto did it

User avatar
MattF
Posts: 1105
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:55 pm
dogs: 1
Contact:

Re: The Grumble Thread

Post by MattF » Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:31 am

2 days ago I was in 80° weather, it's now 52° and dropping with snow tonight...this place sucks.
Throw me another ball will ya!

User avatar
DougE
Posts: 2072
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:40 pm
Location: Maryland
dogs: 1
Contact:

Re: The Grumble Thread

Post by DougE » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:37 am

MattF wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:31 am
2 days ago I was in 80° weather, it's now 52° and dropping with snow tonight...this place sucks.
I'd move.

User avatar
srogers13
Posts: 1143
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:42 pm
Contact:

Re: The Grumble Thread

Post by srogers13 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:00 pm

What is snow?
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

User avatar
MattF
Posts: 1105
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:55 pm
dogs: 1
Contact:

Re: The Grumble Thread

Post by MattF » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:11 am

DougE wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:37 am
MattF wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:31 am
2 days ago I was in 80° weather, it's now 52° and dropping with snow tonight...this place sucks.
I'd move.
That's the plan, but it's not happening for about 7 years. :wah
srogers13 wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:00 pm
What is snow?
:fu
Throw me another ball will ya!

User avatar
gpickin
Posts: 246
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:52 am
Location: Bakersfield Ca
Contact:

Re: The Grumble Thread

Post by gpickin » Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:12 pm

It was a miserable 72 today.
I had to clean the pool after golf because the kids want to swim soon.

They jumped in before I could finish cleaning it.

User avatar
bkuehn1952
Posts: 2476
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:08 pm
Location: The Mitten-Shaped Sponge
dogs: 0
Contact:

Re: The Grumble Thread

Post by bkuehn1952 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:15 pm

gpickin wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:12 pm
It was a miserable 72 today.
I had to clean the pool after golf because the kids want to swim soon.

They jumped in before I could finish cleaning it.
:fu

It snowed here last evening. Everything is white. :puke So I may be a bit less concerned about your problems in CA what with the terrible 72 degree temperatures and the need to clean the pool.

;)
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

User avatar
DougE
Posts: 2072
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:40 pm
Location: Maryland
dogs: 1
Contact:

Re: The Grumble Thread

Post by DougE » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:07 pm

bkuehn1952 wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:15 pm
gpickin wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:12 pm
It was a miserable 72 today.
I had to clean the pool after golf because the kids want to swim soon.

They jumped in before I could finish cleaning it.
:fu

It snowed here last evening. Everything is white. :puke So I may be a bit less concerned about your problems in CA what with the terrible 72 degree temperatures and the need to clean the pool.

;)
You took the bait, Brian. I read it and said, :nope . Not giving him the satisfaction.

User avatar
gpickin
Posts: 246
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:52 am
Location: Bakersfield Ca
Contact:

Re: The Grumble Thread

Post by gpickin » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:15 pm

LOL - I caught one :P

When its 110 here, you'll be teasing me back. I have to enjoy the 2-3 weeks of nice weather here before it gets face melting hot.
The only plus is, when I go to Palm Springs in the summer, the heat doesn't feel any worse, and the golf courses are beautiful, cheap and empty.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests