The Grumble Thread

DougE
dogs: 1

Re: The Grumble Thread

Post by DougE » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:13 pm

Oh it impacted them. Even if it wasn't actually your fivesome that was slowing things up, when you are waiting, and behind a fivesome, you are ready to explode! (At least, I am.) NO FIVESOMES Goddammit!

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:21 pm

I'm sure they were annoyed, but they could also see that we were having to wait so hopefully they weren't too pissed off.

DougE

Post by DougE » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:52 am

A fivesome in front of you, no matter how quickly they may be playing, still adds to your frustration on a slow-play day. Instead of waiting to finally play your shot after waiting for four people to have hit theirs in front of you, you have to wait even longer. In my opinion, fivesomes are just WRONG on any busy golf course.

I have been playing in groups when someone else in the group has taken it upon himself to spontaneously invite a 5th to play along with us either while we are already out on the course, or just before we tee off. At that point, I'll just bow out. Not only do I not want to be a hypocrite---since I always speak so derogatorily of fivesome allowance---but, I have a hard enough time with all the distractions that come along with playing with three other sometimes etiquettely-challenged people, let alone four. It's very distracting, unless everyone is playing seriously, but even then, the extra time required for an extra person to go through his pre-shot, set-up and actual shot can get me out of any good rhythm I may have been able to acquire. I have a hard time concentrating when there is too much going on around me. That's just me.

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:58 am

Yeah I'm with Doug on this one.

5-somes are a no-no unless the course is open and no one is waiting behind you (even if you are waiting on a group in front).
Keep it short stupid.

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:08 am

I have played as a 7-some one time. But no one was on the course and we broke a lot of other rules.

It was at a country club my friend belonged to. A group of us always talked about playing a 1 to 5 match. Where you tee off on #1 tee, and hole out on #5 and don't need to hole out on any other holes. So you can cut across fairways over tee boxes, etc.

We talked to the head pro and he seemed interested in letting us do it as long as we didn't hit shots off the greens and the 9 was open (27 holes at this course) so one day when it wasn't busy he called my buddy and told us if we wanted to do it today was the day (we were in high school and had no obligations).

If I remember I holed out in about 15 strokes. I hit a drive down #1 fw, then went over the trees into the 9th rough. Tried to hit 3w over the late towards the #4 tee box and I came up about 15 yards short. Dropped hit over to the #7 fw, then back over the shorter part of the lake to the #4 tee boxes. Then my next shot didn't make it high enough to get over the trees to the 5th tee box. So I had to punch out and lay up short of the lake just past the #5 tee box. Hit one over the lake miss the green w/ wedge chip on and 2 putt.

My friend won by going down #1, laying up short of the green and hitting something over to the #7 tee box, going backwards down #6, then playing from #6 tee box back to #5 green (it's a long walk from #5 to #6 and it's all rough which is why I went the other way).
Keep it short stupid.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:01 pm

So today was beautiful weather here, tee sheets were full. We had a threesome behind us. As we were on the 5th tee, one of the guys approaches my wife and asks if they can play through. She says she doesn't know the etiquette, but she would talk to the group. We were at that point maybe half a hole behind with miles of foursomes in front of us. Personally I think it was a bunch of grumpy old guys with 3 behind 4 and seeing a woman playing and decided to complain. We played on but after teeing off on 8 I walked over to the 7th tee and told them why didn't they go through at the turn but I warned them there was no where to go. So on 9 we catch up to the group in front of us and actually had to wait to tee off and hit our final approaches (they also waited on the group in front of them). We also thought that the grumpy guys hit into us although the ball may have been from another hole. Front 9 was under 2 hours.

So our group decided that even though it wasn't necessary, we would let the grumpy guys go through. Meanwhile we took a quick break and watched the group in front of us wait at 10 (par 3). So the guys behind come up right about the time that 10 clears and we ask them if they still want to go through. They said sure, but that they needed to go into the clubhouse before continuing. Really ticked me off - we just went and played the back and ignored them. In fact, they really didn't have to wait for us except for maybe one hole. Still I was ticked at the rudeness.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:26 pm

GBOGEY wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:01 pm
So today was beautiful weather here, tee sheets were full. We had a threesome behind us. As we were on the 5th tee, one of the guys approaches my wife and asks if they can play through. She says she doesn't know the etiquette, but she would talk to the group. We were at that point maybe half a hole behind with miles of foursomes in front of us. Personally I think it was a bunch of grumpy old guys with 3 behind 4 and seeing a woman playing and decided to complain. We played on but after teeing off on 8 I walked over to the 7th tee and told them why didn't they go through at the turn but I warned them there was no where to go. So on 9 we catch up to the group in front of us and actually had to wait to tee off and hit our final approaches (they also waited on the group in front of them). We also thought that the grumpy guys hit into us although the ball may have been from another hole. Front 9 was under 2 hours.

So our group decided that even though it wasn't necessary, we would let the grumpy guys go through. Meanwhile we took a quick break and watched the group in front of us wait at 10 (par 3). So the guys behind come up right about the time that 10 clears and we ask them if they still want to go through. They said sure, but that they needed to go into the clubhouse before continuing. Really ticked me off - we just went and played the back and ignored them. In fact, they really didn't have to wait for us except for maybe one hole. Still I was ticked at the rudeness.
Ugh I hear you man. Golf really SUCKS sometimes doesn't it. :fuckall
Build a bridge and get over it.