The Grumble Thread

GBOGEY

Re: The Grumble Thread

Post by GBOGEY » Tue May 07, 2019 9:27 am

DougE wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 3:56 pm
It's what fits your eye. Consciously or subconsciously, you are more comfortable playing one nine more than the other. It could be for any number of reasons, none of which might be necessarily obvious.
Agree - but how this happened and why is a mystery as it wasn't an issue several months ago. But I am more messed up than I thought - went to play 9 last night on a difficult course and was really good with a +1 37. That makes 54 really really good holes away from from my home course in the last 10 days. Doesn't seem to be anything wrong with my game, it's between the ears.

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Tue May 07, 2019 11:12 am

You may know your home course too well, and may be playing it too aggressively, even subconsciously.
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Post by legitimatebeef » Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:19 pm

I had to play with a random yesterday. He would stand directly behind me, on the target line while I swung, every time. Crowded me too, standing juuuuust clear of the clubhead in my backswing. Finally after five holes of this crap I asked if he wouldn't stand there. But from then on, he'd still line up behind me, before remembering my request and scuttling away, which was even more annoying. People are getting worse, I am certain of it. Manners and shit like that. Civilization is officially losing its grip. It's the beginning of the end folks. We can't keep this thing going much longer. Negative entropy can only be held off for so long.
Build a bridge and get over it.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:36 pm

Don't get me started. I cannot even begin to understand the muni golf course management here. For starters, I get to the course to find out it's backed up by a "tournament", which is really a corporate outing. Eight tee times of scramble golf ahead of us. From what I could see at least 1-2 persons in each group had never played golf before. Why would you allow this on a Saturday when the course is usually sold out.

Then I'm continually irked that I have to book a tee time for two on Saturdays when I am solo because their system won't allow single tee times. The starter always asks if I'm okay being paired. I say of course because being solo on a Saturday would be very slow. Of course I never know if the other pairing will show up because there are no penalties for no shows. Today they did, but they had decided to play only 9. So after 9 I'm left solo following the scramble. So the course doesn't want to allow singles for fear of losing revenue but let's guys book 18 holes and only play 9 during prime time. Not sure of the distinction here.

The the pairing had one of the worst golfers I've ever seen. On the first two water holes he put at least 6 balls into the water. On the 3rd water hole, he didn't hit the water only because his first attempt to go over came up short of the hazard. Don't think he had a putt stop within 10 feet of the hole. But he seems to play frequently. All this reminds me of why I wanted to join a club last year.

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Post by bkuehn1952 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:12 pm

Hey, let's grumble! Our foursome was following a threesome all day last week. They were just slow enough to never get within sight of the twosome ahead of them. So the twosome dawdled along just slow enough to never push the twosome ahead of them. And so it went, a 5+ hour round on Thursday morning. We complained but the ranger pointed out that the "course was full" and the threesome only had about 1 hole open. Even if we got ahead of them, there was the slow twosome, etc... :onfire :onfire :onfire
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:49 pm

Yesterday was a bit marginal for golf. When I rolled into Hudson Mill's parking lot it was 49 degrees, light rain, steady 20 mph wind with gusts to 35 mph. There were literally 2 golfers on the course when I teed off at 10:30am. I saw the two guys and their cart on the 11th tee when I was putting out on #7. Even though I was walking, I figured I was going to run into them. :fkno I caught them on #14 and was forced to watch them for the next hour.

Three golfers on a course that encompasses over 200 acres and I get stuck behind these two bozos. :facepalm At least it stopped raining.
Let's Play 36

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:42 pm

bkuehn1952 wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:49 pm
Yesterday was a bit marginal for golf. When I rolled into Hudson Mill's parking lot it was 49 degrees, light rain, steady 20 mph wind with gusts to 35 mph. There were literally 2 golfers on the course when I teed off at 10:30am. I saw the two guys and their cart on the 11th tee when I was putting out on #7. Even though I was walking, I figured I was going to run into them. :fkno I caught them on #14 and was forced to watch them for the next hour.

Three golfers on a course that encompasses over 200 acres and I get stuck behind these two bozos. :facepalm At least it stopped raining.
Wow, if this happened to beef there would be either 1 or 2 bodies hidden somewhere on the golf course.

Actually if this happened to me I'd be doing as much as I could to be a complete asshole to these clowns from holes 15 on. Not letting you play through is just insane and shows they have 0 respect for anyone but themselves.
Keep it short stupid.

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:33 pm

I would not have asked to play through, I would have just gotten on the tee saying: "I am playing through". That is insane to have 3 players on the whole course and have to play behind these two!
I'm gonna go low this time...

DougE

Post by DougE » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:58 am

I realize you were walking BK, but even so, I would have walked to another hole, preferably ahead of them, and gone back later to finish any I had skipped to get away from them. It seems I do that at least a few times a week when the course isn't full, either because it's late in the day or the weather isn't ideal, resulting in light play. There always seems to be at least one foursome out there on an otherwise quiet course who I'll run into. If they try to wave me through, more often than not, I will just drive right up to them and tell them I don't want to disrupt THEIR game and that I'll just skip the hole and come back later. They appreciate that and have no problem with me going around. They know they can never catch up to me, so everyone is happy. Playing from a cart, obviously, makes this approach much easier.

As an aside, I have the code to get into the "ranger" mode on our carts' gps. It shows where every cart on the course is at every moment. When there is sparse play, I can bring up that mode to find any 2-3 hole gaps (or larger), and off I go. However, on occasion, I have driven to a 2-hole opening all the way on the other side of the course, only to find a couple walkers in that gap. So my sneaky system isn't perfect. (We don't normally have many walkers, though. It's a tough course to walk.)

BTW, I never jump in front of anyone who is not at least a few shots behind from wherever I'd like to hop back into play, without first letting them know. I guarantee no one will ever have to wait on me. It would piss me off if someone did it to me, so I won't do it to anyone else.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:10 am

On an empty course I always want to drive, as motor power is liberating, empowering. You can manifest your own destiny. :fuckall And you can play a lot of holes quickly.

Walking is best on busy days, wherein a cart would not enable you to finish any faster anyways. Also on those such days, walking is better since you do not become a captive audience for some diarrhea-mouthed cart-mate. On foot you can easily steal away under a tree, get yourself some peace and quiet. Furthermore on a crowded course you can move about much more freely as you're not constantly having to mind your engine noise bothering other people's backswings and shit.

:school

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:55 am

DougE wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:58 am
... I would have walked to another hole, preferably ahead of them, and gone back later to finish any I had skipped to get away from them.
Yes, an excellent strategy. Unfortunately, while there are places on this course to "jump", the closing holes are not configured to allow this without a cart. Or, I needed to recognize how slow they were going to be and played 10-11, 17, 16, 12-15, 18.
legitimatebeef wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:10 am
On an empty course I always want to drive, as motor power is liberating, empowering. You can manifest your own destiny. :fuckall And you can play a lot of holes quickly.
Very true. If I wasn't such a cheap frugal person, I would have zipped around them in a cart.
Let's Play 36

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:26 pm

bkuehn1952 wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:55 am
Very true. If I wasn't such a cheap frugal person, I would have zipped around them in a cart.
I am a fierce cheapskate too. But stinginess should not apply only to the legal tender in one's wallet. Time as they say is also money. And if you ask me, energy is also "money". Potentially cart-riding can cut time nearly in half, and/or double (or more) the number of holes one can play. And unless you are a fat lazy blob in need of the most basic exercise imaginable, the energy savings also provide utility. The exercise offered by walking 18 holes is hardly exercise, and is certainly not efficient. You want exercise, spend 45-60 minutes in a gym, that's way better for you than wandering about for four-plus hours.

DougE

Post by DougE » Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:46 pm

Cold and windy today. 15-20 mph. Felt like 40, but it was 50+. Given my choice, I would much rather play in rain with no wind than sun, cold and wind. Wind screws with my head. But, then again, pretty much everything screws with my head.

MattF

Post by MattF » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:51 am

Not that I was playing any time soon, but I cut the top of my left thumb off on Sunday night cutting up sweet potato. Took it down to the top of the nail, so I'm done.
Throw me another ball will ya!

DougE

Post by DougE » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:21 am

Ouch! I know what that feels like. I did the same thing many years ago with a razor blade while cutting a piece of foam core. The blade slipped off the straight edge and caught my thumb. Took off a good sized chunk. It grew back in a month. Yours should too.

MattF

Post by MattF » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:07 pm

DougE wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:21 am
Ouch! I know what that feels like. I did the same thing many years ago with a razor blade while cutting a piece of foam core. The blade slipped off the straight edge and caught my thumb. Took off a good sized chunk. It grew back in a month. Yours should too.
:thumbs Too soon??
Throw me another ball will ya!

DougE

Post by DougE » Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:37 am

This sorta ties into the 2019 Goals thread, but since it's more of a grumble, I'm placing it here.

Unless December stays very playable, weather-wise, it doesn't look like I'll make that 200 rounds this year. I sort of re-injured that gastrocnemius muscle I blew out a few years ago.

I THINK I did it running up a long steep hill with my dog last Friday evening---not while playing golf. I didn't notice any problem at all until Saturday morning. I had been sitting in my office chair working, got up to get a cup of coffee, and all of a sudden got a very sharp pain in the back of my calf. I was just walking around a corner into the kitchen and ...Whoa!...Ouch!...Where did that come from? I gingerly walked it off, but it happened again 5 or 6 times over the course of the day. By midday, I was very aware of it and was expecting the sharp pain at any moment. I did not play golf. It was an easy choice. It was cold and windy.

I realized it is in the exact place I had the original injury that kept me off the course for about a month. That happened in early November about 3 years back. That time it was very bad and literally felt like I had been hit with a line drive golf shot square in the back of my calf. I was playing golf at the time and as soon as I felt the pain I looked for the ball that hit me and the golfer who hit it, but there was neither. It took me a few seconds to realize something exploded in my calf. This time, it seems to have been more of a delayed reaction and didn't start to hurt until the next day. I don't believe this is anywhere near as severe as the first time---probably more of a slight strain---but I am having to baby-it to walk. It's been 5 days and is still quite sore. Every step I take, I am expecting it to pop, though each day I feel it gets slightly better. Walking up hills requires diligent caution so as not to stretch the muscle too much, which connects to the Achilles tendon. And my course is loaded with hills and moguls of which to climb.

I played 18 holes on the injured leg, both Monday and Tuesday. Though it didn't seem to affect my swing too much, it obviously did, because I haven't hit the ball that poorly off the tee in a month, since my slump. I scored okay, but struggled with driver after hitting it the best ever just last week. I think my body subconsciously was protecting it through my swing and ultimately, I was off a bit as a result.

So, I took yesterday off even though I had planned to play. I'm taking today (Thanksgiving) off as well. It's supposed to gust near 50 mph, so no loss there. Cold forecast for tomorrow so, we'll see. Everybody and their brother is off for the 4-day weekend. Consequently, I am not keen on pushing the leg, in the cold with a thousand hackers clogging up the course. Like I said, we'll see. Maybe the cold will keep some away. If so I can throw on my cart cover, light up the propane heater inside and give it a shot. Maybe. If not, the likelihood of reaching 200 rounds gets less and less. December weather is historically less cooperative and one 4" snowfall with accompanying 4 day cold stretch could knock out a week of play, or worse.

Sorry for the long-winded post. I'm bored. I want to play golf. FTS.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:54 am

Love the evolution of @DougE as a poster ever since the oob went down. Way more cranky, but no less passionate about fuckin' golf.

What happened to you reminds me of what happened to NBA star Kevin Durant during last year's finals. His leg buckled and immediately he whipped around to see which motherfucker had just kicked him in the calf. But there was nobody. Apparently that's what it feels like when shit ruptures back there. :bawl

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:26 pm

Once the injury heals, do some squats and deadlifts goddammit.

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:08 pm

Against my better judgement I went out with my regular Friday group today (Black Friday) and what a clusterf*ck it was!

We had the first twighlight tee time, which is also the first one when you are not getting raped with the green fees. I paid $33 to walk (instead of $28 on a regular Friday), so not too bad, but right up until then they were charging $53 to walk and another $17 I think for a cart, so $70 total. Btw, I don't understand why anyone not over 70 and in reasonable shape would ever want to take a cart there: it is the easiest walk there is, totally flat.

Well, today a cart would have been nice to stay somewhat protected from the rain: it was also supposed to be the only dry day in like a week, and boy was that prediction spectacularly wrong: we got drenched a couple of times with relatively brief but intense showers, with temps in the 48-52 range. In other words not pleasant... at. all. To make things worse, we had only finished 13 holes after nearly 4 hours, with 45 minutes of daylight left (and that is pushing it). So we headed back home after those 13 holes as the 14th tee is close to the club house and parking lot.

Throughout the "round", I could see a few groups ahead and behind and the level of stupidity and horrendous golf was through the roof, all without any kind of monitoring or marshaling by the course. Let me tell you that had I been one of those guys stupid enough to fork $70 to play in those conditions, I would have probably still left after those 13 holes, but I would have also sworn to never come back. As it is, we have a standing tee time next week and the week after that at noon, and whether permitting we'll try again, in 3:45 (for the whole 18) this time. Good grief.

Anyway, I hope your Thanksgiving was good and you all get to enjoy your turkey leftovers today: I know I will later tonight.

ETA: I see that I joined here exactly 5 years ago. Nice to know you guys for all this time and credit to Beef for setting up this site and maintaining it. :up :yess

DougE

Post by DougE » Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:30 am

sjduffers wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:08 pm
As it is, we have a standing tee time next week and the week after that at noon, and whether permitting we'll try again, in 3:45 (for the whole 18) this time.
3:45. Walking foursome. My type of players.:yess
sjduffers wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:08 pm
Anyway, I hope your Thanksgiving was good and you all get to enjoy your turkey leftovers today: I know I will later tonight.

ETA: I see that I joined here exactly 5 years ago. Nice to know you guys for all this time and credit to Beef for setting up this site and maintaining it. :up :yess
Happy 5-Year Anniversary!

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:08 am

Has it been 5 years? That's crazy.
Keep it short stupid.

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:27 pm

DougE wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:30 am
3:45. Walking foursome. My type of players.:yess
Well, only 2 of us walk. The other two are almost ancient (> 75 yrs) and need to cart around. No big deal. :up

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:29 pm

jasonfish11 wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:08 am
Has it been 5 years? That's crazy.
Yup! It's crazy: who knew? :banana