The Grumble Thread

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Re: The Grumble Thread

Post by jasonfish11 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:12 pm

jasonfish11 wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:44 am
I know Doug has talked about tendinitis in his elbow. I too am suffering from the same thing. I took down my "hitting bay" in my house about 6 weeks ago and told myself to not use it until my elbow was fine. Also before I hit indoors I'd hit some balls outside first to make sure there is no pain.

I was going to go to the range on my lunch break when I worked from home this week, but I was slammed and didn't even take a break. It's been 6 weeks since I've hit a golf ball. My elbow is just now starting to feel normal again, but even after that 96 I shot in my last round I'm starting to get the itch to hit balls again.
So I went to the range on my lunch break. I knew it would be a bad idea when I felt the tension in my elbow just from gripping the club, but hey I paid $5 for this bucket of balls.

Doug, please tell me you are now fine with only some time, ice, and stretching.

I'm hoping this doesn't go past April. If it does I'm going to be pretty bummed. I hit some really nice shots for someone who hasn't swung a club in 6 weeks, so I'm actually looking forward to my next round.
Keep it short stupid.

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:31 pm

Which elbow?
Build a bridge and get over it.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:13 pm

left
Keep it short stupid.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:20 pm

I axe because I'm having a bit of soreness in my left as well. I'm not even hitting much lately. I suspect it's from just swingin a club at home. Sad. I do practice pretty hard in the living room. After all I am only trying to make my swing as close to goddamn motherfucking perfect as possible, and that kind of compulsive, neurotic behavior is probably going to take a toll on the body.

DougE

Post by DougE » Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:33 pm

jasonfish11 wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:12 pm

Doug, please tell me you are now fine with only some time, ice, and stretching.
Sorry, but I am not. I'm playing through the discomfort, and now have it in both elbows. It's not as terrible as it was, but I feel it every time I play or do anything where using those muscles are required (which seems to be just about everything). I expect the warmer weather to help some, but it remains to be seen. In the meantime I am managing with ice, muscle relaxers, Advil and pre-round/daily stretches.

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:04 pm

I got tennis elbow in my left elbow in May 2013. It was likely from a combination of too much range balls + mats + poor grip/technique. I remember exactly when I first noticed it and I was bummed because I missed a chance to play Ko 'Olina on our Hawaii trip.

It took about 6 months to resolve to the point where I forgot I had it (95% healed), and about 10 months total to be completely pain/discomfort free.
Bluto did it

DougE

Post by DougE » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:46 pm

Yes, I have resigned myself to the idea that it will take many more months to get to a point where I don't notice it, but I will say it is far better than it was the first month or two. I had it bad once about 5 or 6 years ago, and dealt with it similarly to the way I am doing so this time around. After months and months, one day I just realized, "Hey, I don't notice the pain at all anymore." I certainly didn't rest it during the period, but just adapted and found ways to not irritate it too much further.

One thing I will recommend to you, Fish, is a proper support brace. Not the kind that you put over your entire elbow, but the kind you wrap on your forearm up near your elbow, that uses a pressure point against the muscles and tendons that run between your wrist and elbow. They have a Velcro adjustment tab, which makes it easy to apply pressure only when you need it (like during a swing), without having to leave it tight all the time so you don't cut off circulation (which will make it hurt more). Tennis guys swear by these supports. I would also recommend a good compression sleeve when not playing, for general support. Don't use both supports together.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:39 pm

This thing?

Tomight [2 Pack] Elbow Brace, Tennis Elbow Brace with Compression Pad for Both Men and Women
Keep it short stupid.

DougE

Post by DougE » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:50 pm

Yes, something like that. The one I have is a P-Tex brand. It might have a more concentrated pressure pad than the one in the ad you show. (See pic below.) I got it at Dick's Sporting Goods. It was about 15 bucks. (For one, not two.) Really helps, once the initial injury is rested a few days/weeks. I rarely wear it now even though I still get discomfort in the elbow, but I did wear it after the initial rest period and it allowed me to play with only a sore, but not throbbing, elbow. I waited about 8 or 10 days after the initial tear before I attempted to play. It was too early, but I couldn't wait, so I used the support and it did help.
Attachments
IMG_1534.jpg
IMG_1534.jpg (82.51 KiB) Viewed 443 times

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:56 pm

Yeah my elbow wasn't in"pain" per say. By no means was it unbearable, but it's more annoying and worrisome that I'd make it worse.

I'll buy the band and see if that helps.
Keep it short stupid.

DougE

Post by DougE » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:00 pm

I edited my post and added a pic of the one I use, above.

DougE

Post by DougE » Thu May 02, 2019 11:24 am

These boards are dead. Boring. C'mon people. Talk GOLF!

I am going out to play now. I expect some good new content when I get back! Do you hear me?!

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu May 02, 2019 12:02 pm

DougE wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 11:24 am
These boards are dead. Boring. C'mon people. Talk GOLF!

I am going out to play now. I expect some good new content when I get back! Do you hear me?!
I said the same thing to myself this morning: this place is dead. I am more accepting though. It is a natural lull. You can't fight it IMO.

In a larger sense, people like us are getting marginalized Doug. Avid recreational golfers I mean. The new wave of the future is things like TopGolf. Evidently it is nearly impossible to get a stall at one of these places, the demand is so feverish. Golf in the classical sense is too elitist, too time-consuming, too difficult for the modern man. Modern man needs a video game-like experience to be entertained and I think TopGolf and the like (there is copycat place called DriveShack opening up here soon) have figured it out. So in a sense, "golf" is booming.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Thu May 02, 2019 3:45 pm

I hear you Doug. Haven't had near as much chance to play as I would like. When I do, not playing well at all on a consistent basis. Highlights from last weekend: 1) a chip in .... for par; 2) for just the second time in approximately 40 rounds at my new home course, hit a drive on the par 5 9th hole that gave me a chance to go for it in two (water in front with creek on right). Distance isn't the problem, but you also have to get the right part of the fairway to have a lie that will let you have a go. So I went, and I cleared water in front, but bounced right off the green into the creek. Took my drop and chipped to a foot to save par. So three rounds for the weekend, two chipping highlights to save par.

In the golf blahs right now.

DougE

Post by DougE » Thu May 02, 2019 6:23 pm

GBOGEY wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 3:45 pm
In the golf blahs right now.
And it's only the beginning of May. Kick yourself in the ass and get out there, dammit!

Seriously, I hope you come out of it soon. But, I get it. Been there myself, many times.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Thu May 02, 2019 9:46 pm

I want to play- just need the rain to stop and more free time. If I was still in NJ it would be time for a lesson to get right. Been asking around for a good pro but not convenient to after work location wise. But I’ll get there.

Of course I should have grumbled earlier. After a range session on Monday and long putting session in the house, went out after work and put together a really solid round. Still not controlling wedge distances like I’m used to, but I was solid today - 12 GIRs.

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Post by bkuehn1952 » Fri May 03, 2019 8:22 pm

:fu We are getting just a touch of rain every fucking day. Everything is under water. :fu
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

CeeBee

Post by CeeBee » Sat May 04, 2019 6:04 pm

Not bad over here :ohyeah
Tee it up!

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Sat May 04, 2019 6:21 pm

First grumble, the weatherman was wrong. Happens here a lot as we seem to be on a dividing line for weather of some sort. One Ap frequently forecasts rain, the other not - not is right about 60% IMO. Today the forecast was either rain all day or rain until 10. So I had a tee time at 11. Didn't really rain all morning so I went out at 11 - should have gone out earlier. Of course it started raining around 11th hole but very light and pleasant until 15 at which point one is too far to call it quits for the day. So last 4 holes were wet.

Second grumble, I think that my scoring problems are my home course, or at least part of my home course. My last two rounds away from my home course have been quite good. My last four rounds at my home course (excluding the one where I was getting over an illness) - +31 or +7.75 per round - remember this is a 114 slope so not that difficult. But the crazy part is this - +7 on the back and +24 on the front - ouch! Clearly I'm playing better away from home and am really struggling on the front 9 - what do you do when your home course isn't your best course?

DougE

Post by DougE » Sat May 04, 2019 7:19 pm

Move?

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Sun May 05, 2019 2:17 pm

Not really an option. I checked - the course rating is essentially the same for both 9's. Make no sense that I'm four shots worse on one 9 other than being mental.

DougE

Post by DougE » Sun May 05, 2019 3:56 pm

It's what fits your eye. Consciously or subconsciously, you are more comfortable playing one nine more than the other. It could be for any number of reasons, none of which might be necessarily obvious.

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Sun May 05, 2019 9:26 pm

Shot a smooth 105, 97 ESC (a couple of 9s and a couple of 8s, and a 6 on a par 3), in a tournament, no less. :bawl

I couldn't drive out of my shadow and the putting was terrible too (38 putts). Add some 4 penalty strokes, a vicious and cold wind swirling in the canyons, easily worth 2 clubs and sometimes 3, and me not feeling all that well besides, and there you have it. A round I'd rather forget quickly, thank you. :facepalm
I'm gonna go low this time...

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Post by bkuehn1952 » Mon May 06, 2019 12:04 pm

More rain forecast. While we are not like Iowa, everything here is super saturated and every rainfall now brings out a flash flood warning. There is nowhere for the water to go. I am really getting tired of "squish, squish" everywhere I walk, plugged drives and splashing iron shots leaving me covered in mud. :fkno

On the plus side, I determined one of my older pair of golf shoes are still waterproof. Also, the "no carts" policy at a number of local courses has really thinned out the golf population. No "5-time Masters Champion Tiger" effect here right now. ;)
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue May 07, 2019 9:26 am

bkuehn1952 wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 12:04 pm
More rain forecast. While we are not like Iowa, everything here is super saturated and every rainfall now brings out a flash flood warning. There is nowhere for the water to go. I am really getting tired of "squish, squish" everywhere I walk, plugged drives and splashing iron shots leaving me covered in mud. :fkno

On the plus side, I determined one of my older pair of golf shoes are still waterproof. Also, the "no carts" policy at a number of local courses has really thinned out the golf population. No "5-time Masters Champion 5-time Masters Champion Tiger" effect here right now. ;)
I played a bit of golf in Portland Maine last weekend and it was a swamp. They had riding carts at this place but they were all locked away. No motorin' going on at this place in a long time. Several good tee shots embedded in the fairway, lost until the next geologic age of the earth, probably. This is no way to play golf. Maine is no golf state by the way. The short golfable season along with the desolate population mean that golf is a sort of alternative pursuit. There does not seem to be any sort of collective spirit of "Maine golf", just a bunch of ragtag individuals trying to cobble together golf rounds on tracks that are quite scruffy and unkempt.