Shafts

Coda1850

Shafts

Post by Coda1850 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:52 am

I'm getting new irons :yess & have to pick a shaft :facepalm
Gettin' the Golfworks DBM Forged.

Their club paks are offered with a few shaft upgrades - so I'm picking out of these:

True Temper Dynamic Gold R300
True Temper XP95
KBS Tour 105
KBS Tour FST
KBS Tour FLT

The plan is to call their customer service & see what I can figure out over the phone. I know it'd be best to hit each or whatever but, eh.. not happening.

-Any specific questions I should have?
-Anyone have any detail/info. about these shafts?
-Will any/all of these be playable, meaning if they're low/high flight..they're still not gonna make me hit low bullets or high ballooning shots?
-Is there an option that's "middle ground' or a "safe" option - should I just pick that (if there is one)?

http://www.golfworks.com/premium-iron-s ... 012&c2c=ln
Low Round: 83, +11 Green Hill - 09/15/14
Low Round: 83, +11 Indian Meadows - 09/12/15

Mark unread?

DougE
dogs: 1

Re: Shafts

Post by DougE » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:18 am

Safer options are probably the DG Gold 300 or the KBS Tour 105. Both pretty stock shafts. Both very good solid shafts. The XP 95 may give you a higher ball flight. Really depends on how you strike the ball on average. I play XP90s in my AP2-716s and can get a nice high ball flight, but being a trapper of the ball, I still have no problem flighting it down if nec. I used to play XP95s. Very similar shaft to what I play now. I don't know enough about the FST or FLT to give an opinion.

Coda1850

Post by Coda1850 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:42 am

DougE wrote:Safer options are probably the DG Gold 300 or the KBS Tour 105. Both pretty stock shafts. Both very good solid shafts. The XP 95 may give you a higher ball flight. Really depends on how you strike the ball on average. I play XP90s in my AP2-716s and can get a nice high ball flight, but being a trapper of the ball, I still have no problem flighting it down if nec. I used to play XP95s. Very similar shaft to what I play now. I don't know enough about the FST or FLT to give an opinion.
Thank you Doug. I read through the reviews & it was mentioned in there the XP95 was higher traj. & I guess also a lighter shaft? I'll lean toward a standard/safer option - so DG Gold 300 & KBS Tour 105.

If I remember right MattF had the FST & ... switched to (had to check) Recoil 680.

-Also, is it safest to just stick with Regular flex?

Mark unread?

DougE

Post by DougE » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:58 am

If you know your average driver swing speed, you can guesstimate whether to play reg or stiff, but there is much more to it than just ss. Do you make a very quick transition or are you more of a smoother swinger with easy tempo? If you aren't sure which you should use and your driver ss is below 95 or 96 ish, you will likely have less trouble with reg shafts. If you have a tendency to slice the ball, a stiff shaft will make it harder to close the face and your slice would probably be worse....and your distance shorter. Obviously getting properly fit is the correct answer.

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:18 pm

Also there is no industry standard on what R or S mean. Some companies might make a S shaft that has the same flexing properties as a different companies R shaft.

At least last time I checked. I know very little about shafts so anything I say may be worth researching further.
Keep it short stupid.

MattF

Post by MattF » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:20 pm

Alright! :yess

Doug is 100% correct about getting fitted, but, with Golfworks, unless you can go to them or find a local fitter, you're screwed. Here's about the only dealers I could find near Maryland: http://www.golfworks.com/golfworks-penn ... ers/a/511/

I couldn't see a clubpak that actually had the FST shafts in them.

I played R flex but after my driver fitting last year I learned I was overpowering the shaft and was fitted to an S flex. I took that idea to my irons and went from the FST R flex to the Recoil graphite 680 F4 S flex and my iron shots are a lot straighter and the distance may be a little further. My 2c.
Throw me another ball will ya!

Coda1850

Post by Coda1850 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:12 pm

Thanks everyone.

Doug - I think my driver swing speed is about 95ish & can have trouble with a slice but don't think I've had that issue with irons the past seasons. I'll go with R flex anyway tho.

JFish - Yup, with the no standard thing. I'm aware of that & just take what they call their R flex.

MattF - I was talking about this one. http://www.golfworks.com/maltby-dbm-for ... /PMA0225T/
They call it the "KBS Tour". The pic also shows FST on the label - which is why I said it's the KBS Tour FST. Are those the one's you had?

Mark unread?

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:17 pm

FYI everyone is different but I switched from S300 to KBS Tour-S and it made a huge difference. The S300 were too stiff and harsh, low ball flight. I messed around with having the "stepped" (I forgot about that) but eventually got rid of them when I found a used set of MP-59's with KBS which were exactly what I wanted.
I'm gonna hit a provisional
HCP Index :facepalm

MattF

Post by MattF » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:22 am

Coda1850 wrote:
MattF - I was talking about this one. http://www.golfworks.com/maltby-dbm-for ... /PMA0225T/
They call it the "KBS Tour". The pic also shows FST on the label - which is why I said it's the KBS Tour FST. Are those the one's you had?
Ah ok. FST is the parent company of KBS, so it says KBS by FST. FST actually makes their own line of shafts, I had these ones: http://www.golfworks.com/fst-90-steel-i ... /p/FS0011/.
Throw me another ball will ya!

Coda1850

Post by Coda1850 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:14 pm

I'm bummed out today. I called Golfworks customer service... which I've heard is soooo helpful & whatnot. Liz didn't know anything. I was ready to buy a set if someone could point me in the direction of a shaft.

She did say Dynamic Gold was low traj. & KBS Tour 105 is mid/high?

Someone wanna just let me know which to buy? Seriously. I don't know.

Mark unread?

DougE

Post by DougE » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:03 pm

The True Temper Dynamic Gold R300 is a heavier shaft and more likely to give you a lower ball flight. The KBS Tour 105 is a little lighter and should give you a slightly higher ball flight. However, your swing is what will determine you ball flight. If you can't get fit, then I would err on the side of a little higher flight and go with the KBS Tour 105s in regular flex. Coincidentally, I just tested a Mizzy JPX-850 with a KBS Tour 105 stiff shaft today (I play regular shafts in my AP2s) and loved the ball flight, not to mention the (what seemed like) added distance. Surely part of it was the sweet feeling, more game improvement style Mizzys, but the KBS shafts also played a huge part as well, I'm sure.

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:03 pm

That sounds about right. I have DG 300s in my MP33's and liked em just fine. Currently playing graphite shafts, which launch higher, but they're lighter shafts (95g), which took some adjustment, coming off of the DG's, which were 130g, I believe.

I've never played KBS shafts, but I'm sure they 're good too.
Bluto did it

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:43 pm

Coda1850 wrote:I'm bummed out today. I called Golfworks customer service... which I've heard is soooo helpful & whatnot. Liz didn't know anything. I was ready to buy a set if someone could point me in the direction of a shaft.

She did say Dynamic Gold was low traj. & KBS Tour 105 is mid/high?

Someone wanna just let me know which to buy? Seriously. I don't know.
Are you anywhere near a demo day? Or a vendor with the Mizuno fitting cart? You could go try some irons (like the JPX or whatever is similar to your current irons set), and try the different shafts. The Mizuno cart, in my experience, has a really good selection of shafts to try.

You can also look up the weights of the shafts online, which is kind of indicator of the flex/feel - but it also depends on the curve/step of the shafts (flex point).

I think though, with a 95 mph driver SS, then R flex is right, and the R300 would be a good choice. The KBS 105 is a lighter shaft if I recall (than say, the FST "Tour") - but the shaft weight also effects the balance, so after a reshaft your irons could feel "club head heavy" with a lighter shaft. That may be something you can feel in your swing at the transition at the top.

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:45 pm

DougE wrote:The True Temper Dynamic Gold R300 is a heavier shaft and more likely to give you a lower ball flight. The KBS Tour 105 is a little lighter and should give you a slightly higher ball flight. However, your swing is what will determine you ball flight. If you can't get fit, then I would err on the side of a little higher flight and go with the KBS Tour 105s in regular flex. Coincidentally, I just tested a Mizzy JPX-850 with a KBS Tour 105 stiff shaft today (I play regular shafts in my AP2s) and loved the ball flight, not to mention the (what seemed like) added distance. Surely part of it was the sweet feeling, more game improvement style Mizzys, but the KBS shafts also played a huge part as well, I'm sure.
I just saw this post from Doug. Good info.

Coda1850

Post by Coda1850 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:45 pm

So what is in my current set is Dynalite 90. I was about to just order the dbm forged with the KBS Tour 105s... but didn't know what grip. I'll have the grip sorted tomorrow. Back to the shaft.

So, I'm thinking the switch from my current iron head to the new one - can't imagine the new one will launch higher. Iron head a bit lower, weight closer, & the mid/high flight... I was gonna go with KBS Tour 105. Seems "safer". Smaller tweak from where I am currently? maybe, lol

Edited to add:. Think I'm getting Pure Wrap grips.

Mark unread?