Scramble Tournament

bryan k

Scramble Tournament

Post by bryan k » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:20 pm

I haven't been here much lately. Truth is, I haven't been playing golf lately. In the last 14 months, I've played maybe 2 or 3 nine hole rounds.

I got entered into a scramble tournament last week. We ended up taking second place. That's only the second time in my life I've ever "placed" in a tournament. But it bothers me.

I really don't give a fuck about how other people play the game of golf. The fact of the matter is, I compete against myself on the golf course. I believe that's how most people play the game. And I also believe that as long as they are following the same rules every time they play, then they are being honest with themselves. Even when competing against a friend, I believe that whatever rules are agreed to as part of the competition as long as it's not an official tournament, are completely legit as long as the players are being honest with each other.

The problem is, once the competition becomes official, the rules have to be followed. Tournament rounds and handicapped play have to be by the book. Otherwise, competition isn't fair.

That's the reason I don't play in competitions. I guarantee that on the average charity scramble tournament, 9 out of 10 foursomes are liberally breaking the rules.

I've only won one tournament before. And the interesting part about it is, we played by the rules. And we debated the rules a LOT while playing. In my opinion, it added to the enjoyment of the round. I would have easily been the worst player in the group (having one of the best round of my life) if we didn't have to recruit a 10 year old kid out of the clubhouse to make a foursome.

I also had one of the best rounds of my life last week. I should have known I was in trouble on the first hole, though. The first player putted to within a couple of feet of the cup. I marked it and tossed the ball back to him. He asked "why did you mark that?"

I still don't think we scored well enough to come even close to winning. But I was told today that we took second, and now I don't know what to do. Disqualifying myself is not an option. And besides, the last time I tried to disqualify myself from a tournament, the tournament director started laughing hysterically at me. "This ain't the PGA, son".