2017 Spring Golf Support Group Thread

DougE

Re: 2017 Spring Golf Support Group Thread

Postby DougE » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:16 am

Yeah, it's not looking good here either, though nothing like the Frozen Mitten. Chance of a little snow tomorrow. Cold all weekend. So, I'm getting out to play today. A bit windy, but high 60s-70 forecast. May not get another chance until middle next week, weather-wise. Though I'm sure it won't stop CeeBee. He's a crazy man.

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Postby legitimatebeef » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:46 pm

63ºF right now, but a couple inches of snow tomorrow followed by arctic freeze weekend. Perfectly normal. Expect the unexpected at this point.
everyone is gay

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:24 pm

Breaking news

8-12" on Tuesday

Long as the range stays open, I will be ok
everyone is gay

DougE

Postby DougE » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:20 am

Okay, so, the USGA GHIN 2017 posting season technically starts here in Maryland today. The ground is fully covered in multiple inches of snow from the snowstorm on Tuesday. First snow of any real accumulation all winter. Though there has not been much melting yet, due to the fact that it has not really gotten above freezing since the storm, the forecast for the next few days suggests that there could be enough melting that play may be able to resume next week. Even if that's the case, the course will surely be in less than decent condition. Very muddy for sure, with pockets of snow still all around the course, particularly in bunkers. Also, my guess is the tees, which have been moved up, will stay up awhile longer until the course gets more into shape.

The question is, should I post scores while we wait for things to get back to normal, or just think of them as practice rounds? I understand technically the season is open. I just feel, with the tees up and the conditions such that they would normally be considered out-of-season conditions, posting scores isn't realistic or indicative of your scoring "potential" as is the spirit of your USGA's official GHIN.

To see what my handicap index would be had my last 20 scores been recorded over the last couple months, for the hell of it, I entered it all into the handicap calculator and can see that my theoretical handicap would be about 6. However, it is officially 8.3. Though I do shoot in the high 70s in-season occasionally, it is unlikely that I could shoot the quantity of low scores I've been shooting all winter nearly everyday, with the tees back where they are supposed to be, winter rules no longer applicable, and the conditions more penal when everything is grown in.

I may wait until the end of the month to begin posting. Without this snowstorm, I likely would have started posting, per Maryland starting date requirement. Not so sure now. I guess it will depend on what things look like once I can get back out there and whether I feel my round was greatly affected by the condition and set up of the course. If the tees are still up, I suppose I can account for that with the course rating and slope. Either way, I'm going to miss shooting in the 70s every other round.

GBOGEY

Postby GBOGEY » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:51 am

Based upon the forecasts, I expect NJ courses to be open a few days before the official April 1 season. That said, the courses will not be anywhere near decent condition although in NJ a lot of courses don't move the tees up. I personally won't be posting scores until I either believe that the courses are in decent condition or I've got a few rounds under my belt. Could be anywhere between mid-April and May. I'm okay with that as long as I make an honest decision before the round begins.

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Postby bkuehn1952 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:53 am

DougE wrote:Okay, so, the USGA GHIN 2017 posting season technically starts here in Maryland today.
Individual golf associations are permitted to move the "Handicap Season" dates to reflect unusually good or poor weather. Last year the Golf Association of Michigan moved the season start to 3/15 versus the typical 4/1 date. I briefly checked the MD site and they appear to have not changed the season's dates.

Like you, I play a lot of golf in marginal conditions, whether it is early or late in the season. I have not worried too much about the course set-up being easier since usually the conditions more than offset any benefit. You could adjust the course rating if posting scores under the published rating creates an unreasonable increase or decrease (Section 5. 2. g of the USGA Handicap Manual).

Chart.gif
Chart.gif (46.5 KiB) Viewed 804 times
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

DougE

Postby DougE » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:30 am

Thanks. Good to know. This may help me decide what to do once I start playing again (hopefully next week) if I can figure out how to apply the adjustments on the Maryland State Golf Association site. Don't remember seeing any option to make course rating adjustments, but, I'll look more closely next time I'm on the site. Or call them.

bkuehn1952

Postby bkuehn1952 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:50 am

DougE wrote:Thanks. Good to know. This may help me decide what to do once I start playing again (hopefully next week) if I can figure out how to apply the adjustments on the Maryland State Golf Association site. Don't remember seeing any option to make course rating adjustments, but, I'll look more closely next time I'm on the site. Or call them.

Our system allows us to post a score as "Away" and we input the rating and slope.
Let's Play 36

DougE

Postby DougE » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:20 pm

Oh yeah, that should work. I can do that on my MSGA site as well. Duh!

Coda1850

Postby Coda1850 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:14 pm

Playing TPC Piper Glen on Thr... but I'm Baltimore right now.
Low Round: 83, +11 Green Hill - 09/15/14
Low Round: 83, +11 Indian Meadows - 09/12/15

Mark unread?

Coda1850

Postby Coda1850 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:32 am

Coda1850 wrote:Playing TPC Piper Glen on Thr... but I'm Baltimore right now.

Shot 91. Got my 1st birdie of the year. Pretty sure 91 is lower than last year's avg. score. Not bad 1st time out, for me.

Rented clubs - really enjoyed the M2 driver... 5wood was gonna be my next look @ but maybe? snag a driver first?? !! lol
Low Round: 83, +11 Green Hill - 09/15/14
Low Round: 83, +11 Indian Meadows - 09/12/15

Mark unread?

jfurr

Postby jfurr » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:09 pm

Coda1850 wrote:
Coda1850 wrote:Playing TPC Piper Glen on Thr... but I'm Baltimore right now.

Shot 91. Got my 1st birdie of the year. Pretty sure 91 is lower than last year's avg. score. Not bad 1st time out, for me.

Rented clubs - really enjoyed the M2 driver... 5wood was gonna be my next look @ but maybe? snag a driver first?? !! lol

Nice!
I'm gonna hit a provisional
HCP Index :facepalm

CeeBee

Postby CeeBee » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:31 pm

Go for that driver.
Tee it up!

bkuehn1952

Postby bkuehn1952 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:33 pm

Well, Masters round 1 is over. It "feels like" 28 degrees (f) this evening. It is snowing and we have wind gusts to 30 mph. Lovely day and I am so disappointed I did not make a tee time. When one walks on a dry patch of turf, there are foot prints 1-2 inches deep left behind. We are the World's largest sponge right now. :fkno
Let's Play 36

DougE

Postby DougE » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:00 pm

I walked nine today. I wasn't planning to actually play, I was just going to go walk out to a few greens to practice a bunch of short game stuff. I knew the course would be empty, so figured I could practice many shots from all different positions and lies around some greens. It was empty because the temps were only in the mid 40s and the wind was gusting over 30 MPH. Though I had the whole place to myself, I was freakin' freezing.

I started by playing the 10th. Parred it, so moved on to 11, where I was planning to do some specific practice work. But parred that too (keep in mind the wind was like the Masters was yesterday and today), so decided to just keep playing instead of stopping to practice. After 6 holes I was one over, but frankly was too damn cold to go much further, so at that point I just stayed and practiced all sorts of wedge shots from around the 13, 14th and 15th greens, including 40 yard bunker shots. It was a productive, albeit freezing day. Supposed to be in the 80s Monday and Tuesday. ALready have my tee times for both.

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:39 am

The weather is seriously warming up now. Yesterday I wallowed a bit in sadness for the end of winter. For the last few seasons I've become a winter guy. I like dressing for the cold. I have this great Patagonia down jacket that I lived in over the winter; I am going to really miss it.

Around town I prefer seeing people cold and miserable to warm and jovial. In terms of behaving within a society, people are way worse when the weather's warm. Don't even get me started on golfers and warm weather--at the moment I am not in the right mood to rip off my shirt and froth at the mouth.

Even the shorter daylight hours, I adjusted to them; I figured out how to get my sufficient vitamin D within the narrow window of sunlight. I don't seem to wrestle with SAD disorder like I used to.

Basically a tide has turned. On the verge of warm weather, I find myself mentally and emotionally bracing for the upcoming season--as most normal people do around November/December. How will I deal with it? I suppose I could put on my Patagonia and go hang around in the giant walk-in produce refrigerators they have at the Price Club. (Trouble with that is, I'm not a Price Club member)

Quit laughing asshat. I am genuinely bummed out here.
everyone is gay

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Tue May 02, 2017 7:34 pm

Where is everyone? Losing interest in this board or whatever, I get it, it's par for the course. I'm just wondering golf wise, what's up? Especially people like Kuehn. Is he even playing these days? Even if you're sucking I feel it's worth a mention. Even if you are not playing at all, that's also noteworthy. Just wondering about the golf-related silence around here lately. Maybe I need to go snooping around scores over at Skygolfnet or whatever. I'll be right back.
everyone is gay

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Tue May 02, 2017 7:41 pm

OK I see what's going on with Kuehn. He's been sucking--by usual Kuehn standards that is. Sheeit, I'd love to have shot 83,79,80,81,82 for my last five. But I get it, it's probably frustrating. If I add ten strokes to those scores, then I can maybe feel what it's like.
everyone is gay

DougE

Postby DougE » Tue May 02, 2017 9:21 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:Where is everyone? Losing interest in this board or whatever, I get it, it's par for the course. I'm just wondering golf wise, what's up? Especially people like Kuehn. Is he even playing these days? Even if you're sucking I feel it's worth a mention. Even if you are not playing at all, that's also noteworthy. Just wondering about the golf-related silence around here lately. Maybe I need to go snooping around scores over at Skygolfnet or whatever. I'll be right back.

I too have noticed it's been pretty quiet here at LG. But I'm still checking in here 4 or 5 times a day, just the same.

I've been posting scores to SG360, but most are rounds of which I can't use for my GHIN index, because I played solo or used the round to practice stuff. Been playing 4 or 5 days a week and I'm at the club nearly everyday working on something. But, nothing interesting enough has happened to me golf-wise to write about it. I played yesterday and today. Supposed to play tomorrow as well. Shoulder acting up though, so may not if it is as windy as it has been the last two days, as forecast. (Gusting over 25mph.) If I do play, it will be the 60th round of my 2017 golf year. At this pace, if my shoulders don't give out (or some other body part) I am on a pace for 180 rounds or so. Really don't think I can actually accomplish that, but 150 seems doable. That's my goal for this year.

I was going to write/post something on the AJGA Preview Tournament which was played at my club over the weekend. It was a really well-done event, with PGA Tour-level organization and preparation, but who here would be all that interested? So, decided to wait to pen something that more LegitimateGolfers might relate to. It is sort of disappointing that we can't get more golf-related posts. I don't care about beer, food or what music everyone is listening to. I just want more golf stuff here, in which to sink my teeth.

Anyone want to discuss driver shaft specifics or the intricacies of wedge bounce? I'm all ears (and opinions).

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Postby jasonfish11 » Wed May 03, 2017 6:49 am

Doug I would say post it. I don't even know what ajga (Atlantic Junior golf ass.?) Is.

I like reading stuff even if I don't have a response.

Also I'd love to read about driver shaft specs because I am lacking in knowledge in shaft related questions. Also I want to start building my own clubs (maybe not driver).

As far as wedge bounce let's do it. I'll start off by saying more bounce is better regardless of the lie. With proper technique and grind you can flop a ball off hard pan with 12+ degrees of bounce.
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

DougE

Postby DougE » Wed May 03, 2017 8:08 am

jasonfish11 wrote:Doug I would say post it. I don't even know what ajga (Atlantic Junior golf ass.?) Is.

AJGA is the American Junior Golf Association. It's what virtually every competitive junior golfer hopes to qualify for someday. Most PGA Tour or Web.com Tour golfers played AJGA when they were younger. Tiger was an AJGA Champion.

jasonfish11 wrote:As far as wedge bounce let's do it. I'll start off by saying more bounce is better regardless of the lie. With proper technique and grind you can flop a ball off hard pan with 12+ degrees of bounce.

I can flop with my 58*.12 K Grind Vokey SM6 with no problem as long as there is enough room to get the club under. I would not attempt it off literal hardpan (like super hard dirt). That's just stupid. When you open the face for a flop shot, you expose ALL the bounce. And in that case, if the bounce has no way to get under the ball due to the dirt being like concrete, the odds of flopping cleanly and not blasting into the back of the ball are pretty slim. I'm not sure I would bet that Phil Mickelson could do it more than 2 in 5 times, if at all. For the most part more bounce is great on most wedges and on most wedge shots. Now, on that same hardpan lie, if you don't expose the bounce by opening the face, but rather lean your shaft forward with a squared up face, there is no difference between a 60.04 or 60.14 lob wedge, provided you swing the same and make ball first contact. Of course, that isn't a flop shot. If you really need to flop one off hardpan, you'd have greater success with the 60.04 , but even then, your odds would be slim.

If by hardpan you mean tight fairway grass, with a dry base due to no rain for awhile, I would agree that you COULD flop a shot with a higher bounce wedge. But, there will need to be SOME give to the ground under the ball. And a lower bounce will always be better in this situation.

I went from a 60.07 wedge to a 58.12. I play far better with the 58.12 all around. The added bounce has made a big (bigly) positive difference. I can't remember fatting a full swing wedge shot in softer conditions (though I'm sure I have) with the higher bounce wedge. I used to fat the .07 bounce wedge a lot more often in wet conditions.

To your point about more bounce being better regardless of the lie, I would say for the most part that is correct IMO. However, depending on how you use your different wedges, there are exceptions to that rule. Personally, I play a 50/54/58 wedge set up (with a 46* PW). I use the 50 more like a short iron than a wedge most of the time (though I will use it squared up, with little to no bounce exposed for uphill chips and chipitches from short grass). So I like the bounce to be similar to my 9i and PW. But, because I play all sorts of lies and shots where I slightly or fully open the face with the 54 and 58, bounce is my friend, so I play higher bounces with those.

This could be a good topic. Maybe we should move it to the technique forums.

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Wed May 03, 2017 9:31 am

I feel like you (and the golfing public in general) are confusing bounce with caber. The caber of the club is the height of the leading edge from the ground. When you talk about opening up the club face the camber is mostly effected by the sole width, not the bounce.

Bounce is simply the angle between the back of the sole and the leading edge. If the sole width is tiny then the bounce being 50 degrees would result in minimal effect when you open the club up for a flop shot. Even off concrete.

Sole width has way more impact on shot selection and lie than bounce does. Think of it this way. That stupid looking XE wedge. It could have a 0 degree bounce but if you open the face to hit a flop shot the sole width would make the camber so massive you wouldn't be able to get under the ball unless you are hitting out of super powdery sand.

I feel like we could answer this with a trig question.

What is the opposite side of a right angle where the hypotenuse is 1 and the angle is 8 degrees. Then do the same calculation to determine opposite side if the hypotenuse is 0.5 and the angle is 16 degrees.

If the opposite side (ie camber) is greater in example 1 then sole width has more effect on the camber than the bounce.

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Wed May 03, 2017 9:54 am

Ok so I did the math.

If you had a sole width of 1" and a bounce of 8* you'd have a camber of 0.139 inches.
If you had a sole width of 0.5" and a bounce of 16* you'd have a camber of 0.013782 inches.

Which indicates my point that sole width has more relation to camber (or how high the leading edge sits off the ground) than bounce.

DougE

Postby DougE » Wed May 03, 2017 10:28 am

Okay fine, but the bottom line is if it sits more than a fraction off the ground you can't get under the ball without some give to the ground. I can't argue further now. I have to go play golf. Be happy to continue this later.

DougE

Postby DougE » Wed May 03, 2017 10:29 am

And P.S. this discussion is no longer under the correct thread.

Return to “The Legitimategolf Forum”