Modernization of Rules - USGA/R&A

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Re: Modernization of Rules - USGA/R&A

Post by bkuehn1952 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:06 am

I had casually followed the original proposals for Rules changes but never got too invested in the ultimate outcome because it seemed rather distant in time. My thought was to wait until the USGA/R&A actually decided what changes to make. So today, I am sort of blown away by the extent of the Local Rule options for O.B. and Lost Ball. Those Local Rules are right out of the "Thursday Night League" rule book, especially the Lost Ball option. So one drops where they sort of think the ball was lost?? At least with O.B. there is often a line, fence, road, stakes, etc... marking O.B. It is a bit easier (and more accurate) to make a decision as to where the ball left the premises. Lost balls are a totally different animal. The ball is lost so one has no idea where it is. I have seen people "estimate" the lost area 100 yards further than I would have looked for the ball.

At least there is a 2 stroke penalty for adopting this fudged approach. It used to really grind my gears when my buddy, in a casual round, would record "par" after losing his tee shot, dropping, hitting on the green and one putting.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

DougE

Post by DougE » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:01 pm

bkuehn1952 wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:06 am

At least there is a 2 stroke penalty for adopting this fudged approach. It used to really grind my gears when my buddy, in a casual round, would record "par" after losing his tee shot, dropping, hitting on the green and one putting.
I had a buddy who did exactly the same, but TWO putted and still carded a par. "What penalty?, C'mon I would have found that if we had more time and no group on our ass." Yeah, whatever.

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:08 pm

DougE wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:01 pm
bkuehn1952 wrote:

I had a buddy who did exactly the same, but TWO putted and still carded a par. "What penalty?, C'mon I would have found that if we had more time and no group on our ass." Yeah, whatever.
My favorite line is "If I were on the PGA tour the gallery would have found it for me..." My normal response is "oh, why aren't you playing on the PGA tour then?"
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:13 pm

bkuehn1952 wrote:
I had casually followed the original proposals for Rules changes but never got too invested in the ultimate outcome because it seemed rather distant in time. My thought was to wait until the USGA/R&A actually decided what changes to make. So today, I am sort of blown away by the extent of the Local Rule options for O.B. and Lost Ball. Those Local Rules are right out of the "Thursday Night League" rule book, especially the Lost Ball option. So one drops where they sort of think the ball was lost?? At least with O.B. there is often a line, fence, road, stakes, etc... marking O.B. It is a bit easier (and more accurate) to make a decision as to where the ball left the premises. Lost balls are a totally different animal. The ball is lost so one has no idea where it is. I have seen people "estimate" the lost area 100 yards further than I would have looked for the ball.

You say it bothers you, but I am not feeling it man! :onfire
The human race is just a chemical scum on a moderate-sized planet, orbiting around a very average star in the outer suburb of one among a hundred billion galaxies

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:43 pm

jasonfish11 wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:08 pm

My favorite line is "If I were on the PGA tour the gallery would have found it for me..." My normal response is "oh, why aren't you playing on the PGA tour then?"
It is kinda true though
I'm gonna hit a provisional
HCP Index :facepalm

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:55 pm

Very True. Not only that but a buddy of mine and I used to joke about how "a shot that deep is into the grand stand", so we should get a free drop closer to the green.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:13 pm

bkuehn1952 wrote:
Lost balls are a totally different animal. The ball is lost so one has no idea where it is. I have seen people "estimate" the lost area 100 yards further than I would have looked for the ball.

I agree and disagree with you. You are right, I am always surprised how some people think they hit the ball much further than they do, especially on the kind of mishit that gets lost. On the other hand, on at least one course I play it can be quite surprising when a ball is lost - there are lots of slopes and blind shots so that one thinks they will find the ball easily, only for it to totally disappear. By that time it's much too late to go back and a provisional would never have entered one's mind upon hitting the shot, so for at least that course this rule really makes sense.

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:32 pm

My favorite is when you hit a good shot, and you get down there and your ball is no where to be found.
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

DougE

Post by DougE » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:21 am

srogers13 wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:32 pm
My favorite is when you hit a good shot, and you get down there and your ball is no where to be found.
Yes, but if this happened at a Tour event, someone in the gallery would certainly be able to show you where it is, so go ahead and just drop one with no penalty and move on! :P
(re: Fish's point)