Modernization of Rules - USGA/R&A

User avatar
bkuehn1952
Posts: 2021
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:08 pm
Location: The Cold, Soggy Mitten
dogs: 0
Contact:

Re: Modernization of Rules - USGA/R&A

Post by bkuehn1952 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:06 am

I had casually followed the original proposals for Rules changes but never got too invested in the ultimate outcome because it seemed rather distant in time. My thought was to wait until the USGA/R&A actually decided what changes to make. So today, I am sort of blown away by the extent of the Local Rule options for O.B. and Lost Ball. Those Local Rules are right out of the "Thursday Night League" rule book, especially the Lost Ball option. So one drops where they sort of think the ball was lost?? At least with O.B. there is often a line, fence, road, stakes, etc... marking O.B. It is a bit easier (and more accurate) to make a decision as to where the ball left the premises. Lost balls are a totally different animal. The ball is lost so one has no idea where it is. I have seen people "estimate" the lost area 100 yards further than I would have looked for the ball.

At least there is a 2 stroke penalty for adopting this fudged approach. It used to really grind my gears when my buddy, in a casual round, would record "par" after losing his tee shot, dropping, hitting on the green and one putting.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

User avatar
DougE
Posts: 1396
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:40 pm
Location: Maryland
Contact:

Re: Modernization of Rules - USGA/R&A

Post by DougE » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:01 pm

bkuehn1952 wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:06 am

At least there is a 2 stroke penalty for adopting this fudged approach. It used to really grind my gears when my buddy, in a casual round, would record "par" after losing his tee shot, dropping, hitting on the green and one putting.
I had a buddy who did exactly the same, but TWO putted and still carded a par. "What penalty?, C'mon I would have found that if we had more time and no group on our ass." Yeah, whatever.

User avatar
jasonfish11
Posts: 2451
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:27 pm
Location: Virginia Beach
dogs: 2
Contact:

Re: Modernization of Rules - USGA/R&A

Post by jasonfish11 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:08 pm

DougE wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:01 pm
bkuehn1952 wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:06 am

At least there is a 2 stroke penalty for adopting this fudged approach. It used to really grind my gears when my buddy, in a casual round, would record "par" after losing his tee shot, dropping, hitting on the green and one putting.
I had a buddy who did exactly the same, but TWO putted and still carded a par. "What penalty?, C'mon I would have found that if we had more time and no group on our ass." Yeah, whatever.
My favorite line is "If I were on the PGA tour the gallery would have found it for me..." My normal response is "oh, why aren't you playing on the PGA tour then?"
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

User avatar
legitimatebeef
Posts: 4409
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:34 pm
Location: island off the coast of america
dogs: 1
Contact:

Re: Modernization of Rules - USGA/R&A

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:13 pm

bkuehn1952 wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:06 am
I had casually followed the original proposals for Rules changes but never got too invested in the ultimate outcome because it seemed rather distant in time. My thought was to wait until the USGA/R&A actually decided what changes to make. So today, I am sort of blown away by the extent of the Local Rule options for O.B. and Lost Ball. Those Local Rules are right out of the "Thursday Night League" rule book, especially the Lost Ball option. So one drops where they sort of think the ball was lost?? At least with O.B. there is often a line, fence, road, stakes, etc... marking O.B. It is a bit easier (and more accurate) to make a decision as to where the ball left the premises. Lost balls are a totally different animal. The ball is lost so one has no idea where it is. I have seen people "estimate" the lost area 100 yards further than I would have looked for the ball.

At least there is a 2 stroke penalty for adopting this fudged approach. It used to really grind my gears when my buddy, in a casual round, would record "par" after losing his tee shot, dropping, hitting on the green and one putting.
You say it bothers you, but I am not feeling it man! :onfire
The human race is just a chemical scum on a moderate-sized planet, orbiting around a very average star in the outer suburb of one among a hundred billion galaxies

User avatar
jfurr
Posts: 2444
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:37 am
Location: South Carolina
Contact:

Re: Modernization of Rules - USGA/R&A

Post by jfurr » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:43 pm

jasonfish11 wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:08 pm

My favorite line is "If I were on the PGA tour the gallery would have found it for me..." My normal response is "oh, why aren't you playing on the PGA tour then?"
It is kinda true though
I'm gonna hit a provisional
HCP Index :facepalm

User avatar
GBOGEY
Posts: 475
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:22 pm
Contact:

Re: Modernization of Rules - USGA/R&A

Post by GBOGEY » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:55 pm

Very True. Not only that but a buddy of mine and I used to joke about how "a shot that deep is into the grand stand", so we should get a free drop closer to the green.

User avatar
GBOGEY
Posts: 475
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:22 pm
Contact:

Re: Modernization of Rules - USGA/R&A

Post by GBOGEY » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:13 pm

bkuehn1952 wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:06 am
Lost balls are a totally different animal. The ball is lost so one has no idea where it is. I have seen people "estimate" the lost area 100 yards further than I would have looked for the ball.

At least there is a 2 stroke penalty for adopting this fudged approach. It used to really grind my gears when my buddy, in a casual round, would record "par" after losing his tee shot, dropping, hitting on the green and one putting.
I agree and disagree with you. You are right, I am always surprised how some people think they hit the ball much further than they do, especially on the kind of mishit that gets lost. On the other hand, on at least one course I play it can be quite surprising when a ball is lost - there are lots of slopes and blind shots so that one thinks they will find the ball easily, only for it to totally disappear. By that time it's much too late to go back and a provisional would never have entered one's mind upon hitting the shot, so for at least that course this rule really makes sense.

User avatar
srogers13
Posts: 933
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Modernization of Rules - USGA/R&A

Post by srogers13 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:32 pm

My favorite is when you hit a good shot, and you get down there and your ball is no where to be found.
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

User avatar
DougE
Posts: 1396
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:40 pm
Location: Maryland
Contact:

Re: Modernization of Rules - USGA/R&A

Post by DougE » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:21 am

srogers13 wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:32 pm
My favorite is when you hit a good shot, and you get down there and your ball is no where to be found.
Yes, but if this happened at a Tour event, someone in the gallery would certainly be able to show you where it is, so go ahead and just drop one with no penalty and move on! :P
(re: Fish's point)

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests