Rules Seminar

DougE
dogs: 1

Rules Seminar

Post by DougE » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:26 am

Having played in many tournaments over the years, in addition to being a student of the game and its rules, I feel like I have a pretty good handle on the rules. However, just watching a bit of this guy makes me want to attend one of his rules seminars here in Maryland. They're offered through the Maryland State Golf Association site at 40 bucks for the 1-day presentation. Seems like it might be fun. Here's a clip of his style. After viewing the first anecdotal video, I clicked on the next offering which had some helpful ideas in it. One in particular was a simple way to remember in any situation when you get two clubs relief and when you get one. (Basically any time a penalty is involved you get two. When it's a free drop, it's one, typically from the nearest point of relief. Simple.) I think you will enjoy this short video showing an example of how the rules can certainly work in your favor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IzjsNVYaUQ

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Re: Rules Seminar

Post by bkuehn1952 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:24 am

Thanks. Beef is the only player who follows Rule 13 without the exception.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:06 pm

F
Build a bridge and get over it.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:42 pm

bkuehn1952 wrote:Thanks. Beef is the only player who follows Rule 13 without the exception.
I have no problem getting shit on as per usual, but I think it's very interesting to parse this little offhand statement. The only person you know who can be trusted to follow what's arguably the most elemental rule of a game that most of us play purely for recreation, is some godless, amoral, heathen lib-cuck from New York City. There's not even any ideological stance behind it or anything either--I am merely trying to having fun a playing silly game. Y'all probably need to look in the mirror.

bryan k

Post by bryan k » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:33 am

I'm kind of offended by that statement as well.

I'll be honest. In golf, as in life, I simply do not follow rules that do not make sense. But playing the ball as it lies is the most elemental part about the game of golf. If I'm going to spend the whole round improving my lie, I might as well go to the driving range. A huge part about what makes the game of golf fun to me is trying to figure out how to play shots that are tricky...and making that ever present decision on whether to take a penalty stroke with a two club drop or not.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:03 am

Bryan is now my human shield.

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Post by bkuehn1952 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:32 am

I don't see how a statement that Beef is the only golfer I know who always plays the ball as it lies, rather than search for a reason to improve the lie, has created such a backlash. But if everyone has a problem with that, then I humbly apologize.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

DougE

Post by DougE » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:45 am

In-season, if I am posting the score for my GHIN, then I always play it as it lies. I don't want my handicap to be any lower because I am improving lies, then I have to play to that handicap when I compete, where improving a lie is not an option. That's just dumb. However, I will admit, I do take advantage of "winter rules" at times when the course is in winter condition. But I can't post those out-of-season scores. And frankly, even in winter, I will play it as it lies most of the time. But if the conditions aren't fair or realistic, as a result of winter, I have been known to roll it in the fairway.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:04 pm

bkuehn1952 wrote:I don't see how a statement that Beef is the only golfer I know who always plays the ball as it lies, rather than search for a reason to improve the lie, has created such a backlash.
:lolz backlash, from me and Bryan K, essentially the Dungeons and Dragons club of this site.

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:27 pm

I need to come to the defense of BK here. He said that Beef might be the only player here to play the ball down (Rule 13) "without the exception", i.e. without resorting to the legal exceptions provided by the rules of golf, meaning in a stubborn defiance of the relief the rules allow under certain circumstances. While it paints Beef as a golfing Don Quijote, it does in no way impute cheating onto anyone else, but fuck it, if I am in a hole created by a burrowing animal (and ground squirrels are burrowing animals), I move my ball out of it, with no penalty. If every one agrees, including the course management that the course is soggy enough to play by the lift, clean and place rule, i am taking relief when I see mud on my ball (and I might not if I don't see mud, although that makes me stupid rather than noble)... So there, my 2 cents are spent now.
I'm gonna go low this time...

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:01 pm

sjduffers wrote:I need to come to the defense of BK here. He said that Beef might be the only player here to play the ball down (Rule 13) "without the exception", i.e. without resorting to the legal exceptions provided by the rules of golf, meaning in a stubborn defiance of the relief the rules allow under certain circumstances. While it paints Beef as a golfing Don Quijote, it does in no way impute cheating onto anyone else, but fuck it, if I am in a hole created by a burrowing animal (and ground squirrels are burrowing animals), I move my ball out of it, with no penalty. If every one agrees, including the course management that the course is soggy enough to play by the lift, clean and place rule, i am taking relief when I see mud on my ball (and I might not if I don't see mud, although that makes me stupid rather than noble)... So there, my 2 cents are spent now.
Oh. I see. :lolz That's not even true though. I don't hit off of asphalt or try to hit balls that are embedded in the earth. That's all urban legend or something. BK's just makin' fun because I play it down during the winter. :breaking :puke

bryan k

Post by bryan k » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:18 pm

This has been the most stimulating conversation I've had in a while. I just spent 8 hours trying to explain to people how to use email. Get ready, folks. We are entering a generation where the kids entering the workforce have never used anything except mobile devices. Freaking 18 year old trainees have never turned on a computer before. And they are using their thumbs on the "letter buttons". I'm terrified.

bryan k

Post by bryan k » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:22 pm

Just to be clear, all of what I said above is "within the context of the rules".

DougE

Post by DougE » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:30 pm

legitimatebeef wrote: I don't hit off of asphalt or try to hit balls that are embedded in the earth.
I should hope not, since it's a free drop for both. Well at least for the asphalt which is man-made and an immovable obstruction. Free drop for the embedded ball, but only from anywhere in the short grass. The only time to hit off asphalt is when you find your nearest point of relief makes for an even more difficult shot, and most importantly, you are playing in an official tournament. I would not be hitting off asphalt in a casual round no matter what, though hitting off of it is not all that difficult. It will likely scratch up the sole of your club quite badly. I've seen pros do it on Tour. Of course, they get free clubs.

bryan k

Post by bryan k » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:32 pm

Well...one thing that sucks is that there are two municipal golf courses that I regularly play at that have gravel "areas" where carts drive that are considered "in play". Well, they aren't exactly gravel. It's kind of like a mixture of sand and dirt. It's really hard, it's really fine, and it has a lot of rocks. One of my old golfing partner called it "moon dust".

I've played from some messed up lies. Living in Phoenix, I carry a club for playing these types of lies. It's a chipper. I don't use it around the greens, though. I only use it on the hard-pan desert surfaces that have a tendency to destroy clubs.