What will help you the most?

Based on the game you have at present, which single aspect would benefit your scores the most?

Extra 30 yards average off the tee with driver
29%
Driver accuracy
14%
Fairway wood proficiency
No votes
Better approach shot accuracy (full swings with wedges through long irons/hybrids)
21%
Execution of 30-60 yard pitch shots (partial swings)
No votes
30-40% up & downs from chip shots 1-5 yards off green
14%
Greenside bunker distance control
7%
Excellent distance control putting
7%
Ability to read greens much better
No votes
Course management
No votes
Other (Explain)
7%

Total votes: 14

DougE
dogs: 1

What will help you the most?

Post by DougE » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:31 am

For me, I would have to say driving distance. Partially due to my aging body and past/present injuries, my shortness off the tee (which on a level, dry fairway averages somewhere between 220-230 yards when struck decently) puts lots of pressure on my approach shots. I hit most of my drives and approach shots fairly straight, but obviously, longer shots are much harder to keep as accurate. An over-cooked or sliced hybrid will certainly have far more consequences than the same miss with an 8i. And unfortunately, I too often have to hit a hybrid on longer par 4s. If I could hit 7 iron (or less) instead on those holes, I feel the rest of my game is strong enough to take care of most mistakes I can make with a 7 iron or shorter. I have been averaging around 50% GIRs. That number, I feel would go way up if I could be 30 yards closer to the hole when making my approach shots. That's a lot more birdie chances.

Also, having better distance off the tee with driver gives me more comfort playing a longer set of tees when getting paired with bigger hitters. Presently, I like playing 6000-6300 yards. But an added 30 yards off the tee would certainly allow me to score decently, up to about 6700 yards.

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Re: What will help you the most?

Post by bkuehn1952 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:33 am

Give me the 30 yards.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

CeeBee

Post by CeeBee » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:06 am

Big tee shots are where it's at.
Tee it up!

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:53 pm

I probably need consistent iron contact most of all. (Sad!)
Build a bridge and get over it.

MattF

Post by MattF » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:19 pm

Consistency is what I'm after because I'm happy with my distance.
Throw me another ball will ya!

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:26 pm

I would enjoy more distance with the driver (and likely more distance with every club too), although at the moment I struggle with fairway woods from the deck, but I am sure that is only temporary...
I'm gonna go low this time...

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:46 pm

Chipping
I'm gonna hit a provisional
HCP Index :facepalm

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:14 pm

I went with approach accuracy.

Closer to the hole = lower scores
Keep it short stupid.

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:26 am

Statistically I'm a god awful putter. But I can read greens okay, so I went with putting distance control, would probably shave 5 or more strokes off of my game.
Bluto did it

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:00 am

Duke of Hazards wrote:Statistically I'm a god awful putter. But I can read greens okay, so I went with putting distance control, would probably shave 5 or more strokes off of my game.
I think I asked you this before but have you tried putting while looking at the hole?

I do this on everything over 15' and my distance control has gotten a lot better.
Keep it short stupid.

DougE

Post by DougE » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:57 am

jasonfish11 wrote: I think I asked you this before but have you tried putting while looking at the hole?

I do this on everything over 15' and my distance control has gotten a lot better.
I can absolutely attest to this method. Though I rarely do it on the course, I do it often on the practice green and it works amazingly well on longer putts. The subconscious mind does all the calculations for you. On occasion, when I am actually playing and have a long putt over various slopes and I can't really get comfortable with what the putt will do, I will employ this method and am usually very pleasantly surprised by how close I come.

jev

Post by jev » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:36 pm

Chipping. For unknown reasons, I lost my chipping capabilities two years ago. Very, very slowly, I re-learn how to chip the dang ball, but distance control still is far, far away in the future. Putting used to be awful too, but I found that piece of the puzzle tucked away somewhere in the darkest corners of my homecourse.
90% of the game is mental, the other half is all in your head (Yogi)

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:04 pm

I am a clueless putz out of a greenside bunker.
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:32 pm

Defintely driver accuracy. I hit it far enough for the courses I play. Driver takes me out of too many holes.

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Mon May 01, 2017 1:06 am

DougE wrote:
jasonfish11 wrote: I think I asked you this before but have you tried putting while looking at the hole?

I can absolutely attest to this method. Though I rarely do it on the course, I do it often on the practice green and it works amazingly well on longer putts. The subconscious mind does all the calculations for you. On occasion, when I am actually playing and have a long putt over various slopes and I can't really get comfortable with what the putt will do, I will employ this method and am usually very pleasantly surprised by how close I come.
Yeah, I think I've tried this in the past with some success. Should try it some more.
Bluto did it

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Mon May 01, 2017 6:54 am

Duke of Hazards wrote:
DougE wrote:

Yeah, I think I've tried this in the past with some success. Should try it some more.
I would say if you really feel distance control is the worst aspect of your game, commit to looking at the hole on everything over 15' for 3 months. What is there to lose?
Keep it short stupid.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Mon May 01, 2017 8:26 pm

I was taught to look at the hole when doing my practice swing and then to use that image when making the actual putt.

bryan k

Post by bryan k » Mon May 01, 2017 10:15 pm

Unquestionably, for me, it's driver accuracy.

A typical round for me is that a third of my drives are good shots. I'm more than happy with my distance on these shots.

A third of them are passable shots where the distance and placement doesn't take a birdie completely out of play.

A third of them cost me strokes.

I play to a 12 handicap, and I'm 100% confident that half of that is my driver.