What's in your bag?

MattF
dogs: 1

Re: What's in your bag?

Post by MattF » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:58 am

Coda1850 wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:13 pm

Maltby DBM Forged Irons 5-Gw, KBS Tour 105, R flex [iron heads r soo sweet, thank u MattF] / [I'm happy with the KBS Tour 105 R flex, thank u DougE]
:heynow You're welcome! I will say that because the DBMs are forged, make sure you have the lofts checked. I've had mine for two years now and had them checked when I was in Florida 2 weeks ago and they were all 2 degrees weak from use.
Throw me another ball will ya!

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:17 pm

How is that? Wouldn't the lofts get lower (i.e. - stronger) from use, since the sole of the club hits the ground ?
Bluto did it

MattF

Post by MattF » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:56 am

Honestly, I think it could go either way, but I really don't know.

DougE

Post by DougE » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:01 am

Okay, it's a over a year since we posted our bags. Time for an update. Only my AP2-716s and Scotty putter were not changed in some way (other than regripping)....at least, not yet. But I do plan to reshaft the AP2s soon.

AS OF 6/5/18:
Titleist 917 D2 with Diamana 60 x5 Blueboard Stiff (Upgraded from 915D2)
Titleist 915F 3W with Diamana 70 x5 ct Blueboard Stiff (Reshafted to lower launch/stiff)
Titleist 818H 19* Hybrid with MCA Tensei Blue 70 Stiff (Replaced both 5W and 21* Hybrid with this new hybrid)
Titleist AP1-718 Custom-built 4 iron with UST Recoil 65 Graphite Stiff (Totally new idea to bag)
Titleist AP3-718 5i, 6i, and 7i with TT AMT Black R (Replaced AP1- 716 5 and 6 irons)
Titleist AP2-716 7i, 8i, 9i and PW with TT XP90 R (No change)
Titleist/Vokey SM7 50.08F Tour Chrome w/TT S200 Stiff (Updated SM6, same loft and grind, new finish)
Titleist/Vokey SM7 54.10S Tour Chrome w/TT S200 Stiff (Updated SM6, same loft and grind, new finish)
Titleist/Vokey SM7 58.12D Tour Chrome w/TT S200 Stiff (Updated SM6 58.12K with new grind, new finish)
Titleist/Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Studio Select Putter w/Large Matador Grip (No change)

Titleist AVX (Changed from Pro V1 as primary ball)

So what's changed in yours?
Attachments
Updated bag 6-5-18 small.jpg
Updated bag 6-5-18 small.jpg (1.54 MiB) Viewed 432 times

DougE

Post by DougE » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:42 pm

Has anyone upgraded their FW recently? I have been doing tons of research on a potential change in that position of my bag and was wondering if anybody here has considered, or is actually gaming, the Tour Edge Exotics EX10 or EX10 Beta.

I was about to put the new Titleist TS2 or TS3 fairway into the bag in a 15* or 16.5* (TBD), but before I do, I want to talk with others who are playing the EX10. I also intend to do a side by side comparison with it and the two Titleist FW offerings before making any decision. The info I have on the EX10/EX10 Beta is quite eye-opening. I have read pages and pages of postings on The Hacker's Paradise, MGS and WRX, as well as read reviews all over the internet and the consensus is that this Tour Edge fairway wood is extremely impressive. There are many being played on the senior tour, but many more hiding in the bags of PGA, Web.com and LPGA players as well. Supposedly, the distance (with the right shaft in it) is extreme off the tee and the ease of hitting off the deck is as good as the Ping G series fairways, which I have always thought are one of the best from the deck, though not typically in the group of those considered to be super-long. This is a 2017 club, not the newest CBX version, which also is getting a lot of play on Tour and rave reviews, although not quite as forgiving as the EX10.

I have always heard Tour Edge included in the top rated fairway wood brands. But, I was never really aware that they were as highly rated as I have been seeing all over online. Right now, a new one can be found for $179 online with free shipping and no sales tax if sent out of state. Getting fit for the proper shaft would be key, but with the new Titleist TS fairways at $299, they're going to have to be better, or at least as good, as the EX10 in my hands, for me to not closely consider this non-Titleist club for my bag.

For the attractive price available on these, I may have to put one in play just for shits and giggles, to see if everything I've heard turns out to be true for me. I wouldn't be shopping at all, but my present Titleist 915F2 16.5* fairway is a bit shorter than I would like. Maybe it's me, but I just don't feel it is as hot a face as the new TS or the EX from what I have heard. An extra 10 yards with a hotter face can make a big difference and I feel with the 915, I'm giving those extra yards up.

Anyone else here know much about these EX10s?

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:12 pm

Please tell me you'd at least put a Titleist head cover on it?
Keep it short stupid.

DougE

Post by DougE » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:43 pm

Prob'ly.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:49 pm

jasonfish11 wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:12 pm
Please tell me you'd at least put a Titleist head cover on it?
I know that there is at least one Titleist tour pro who plays FWs and Hybrids from an earlier generation but covers them with the latest Titleist headcovers.

I bought Cobra F7 FW and hybrids last year and I love them. Didn't expect much of an improvement from my older clubs but it's big. Really easy to launch and even shape a little. Also liked the Titleist at the time but Cobra was cheaper and I didn't see much of a difference in performance.

DougE

Post by DougE » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:35 pm

The F7 FWs get LOTS of love on the equipment forums all over the net.

DougE

Post by DougE » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:00 am

GBOGEY wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:49 pm

I know that there is at least one Titleist tour pro who plays FWs and Hybrids from an earlier generation but covers them with the latest Titleist headcovers.
There are a helluva lot more than just one or two Titleist Tour pros who use the most recent headcovers on older equipment. It is a common practice across the Tour, not just with Titleist. They are paid to promote the new stuff, but they don't necessarily play the new stuff, particularly right out of the gate. Their fittings for each club are extensive and once they find something they dial in to their liking, getting them to change to a newer version of it is not always quite so simple. Henrik Stenson's 3W was the same go-to 3W it had been since 2010. An old Diablo Octane. He finally put an Epic in his bag last season I think. I am sure you have spotted, as I have on TV, players pulling a headcover off a fairway or hybrid, but the club is a completely different brand than the hc would indicate. I noticed Web Simpson earlier this year at the Players (where he won), a fully sponsored Titleist/Footjoy guy, playing a TM 3W. It had a 917 headcover on it. Being a Titleist junkie, it jumped out at me immediately.

Now me, on the other hand, having a Tour Edge cover on a club in my bag would be no big deal to the world, however I can tell you the news would spread like wild fire around the club! So IF (and I say IF in caps) I were to put a Tour Edge FW in the bag, to keep it under wraps, I'll likely stick a Titleist 915F cover on it. I can't put a new TS cover on it, because that would draw attention and everyone would want to try it out. Nobody wants to try a 4 year old 915. Sneaky, huh?

BTW, I tried this experiment in 2016 with a Cobra King F+6 driver. I read all sorts of great reviews on it. It was selected as one of the top 2 drivers in a MGS test. So I was curious to see if it would work for me, as I was having some driving issues at the time. It did not. Sold it for what I paid (used), got fitted for and purchased a new 917 when they hit the market. In the meantime, I had fixed my driving issues.

As an aside, I plan to be fit soon for a new Titleist TS2 or TS3 driver. I will proudly display THAT headcover!

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:30 am

DougE wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:00 am
Now me, on the other hand, having a Tour Edge cover on a club in my bag would be no big deal to the world
I think you underestimate your powers Doug. It would be a huge deal. It would lead me to believe that Hitler and Genghis Khan are currently having a snow ball fight. :devil
Keep it short stupid.

MattF

Post by MattF » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:12 pm

Pretty sure all of these are staying in the bag.

DougE

Post by DougE » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:38 am

Another long post, but c'mon, it IS a forum, right? Grab a cup of coffee...

Okay, now I have gone down the rabbit hole. It started with the idea that the Tour Edge Exotics EX10/Beta might be an alternative consideration to the new Titleist TS fairways just released, at half the price. Since Tour Edge has a top reputation for their very hot fairway woods, I dove into researching them further and am impressed with everything I read. I was going to try a used one off the Bay to see what I thought, but with the new Titleist TS fairway launch about to happen last week, figured I'd wait to try them first. In the meantime, I have continued to compare specs on the two 3Ws and one thing I have noticed is that NEITHER has the size or profile that I feel is most ideal for me, at least, in my mind. Both have higher profile faces. That is great off a tee, but I use my 3W 90% of the time from the deck, and larger heads or high profile faces are not typically all that confidence-inspiring off fairway lies.

Actually, I nearly ordered a NEW EX10 from last season from RockBottomGolf.com for 152 bucks. I was ready to click the "Click to Complete Transaction" button and backed off at the last second. As good as every review I have read about the EX10 was, praising its unbelievable distance and feel from both the tee or turf, I still wasn't sure that profile at address would make me feel all warm and fuzzy. My present Titleist 915F isn't any better. It too can look a bit big to hit off a tight lie. I go through periods where I hit it fantastically on nearly every shot. Then all of a sudden, I'm afraid to play it from anything other than the loftiest of lies in short rough. All it takes is poor contact once or twice in a row, and boom, there goes my confidence in my 3W. There have been times when my swing was in a groove for weeks on end, and that same 3W was one of my favorite clubs to hit.

I know what works best (in my mind) at address is a lower profile, not too large head, whether it be a wood, hybrid or iron for that matter. I can't stand the look of bulky clubs. It's why I play blade-style irons. They fit my eye much better and as a result, I tend to make good contact most of the time. Most game-improvement irons look waaay too big and imperfect to my eye. My 3W needs are the same. If Titleist doesn't make a 3W that fits my eye, I am willing to find a brand which does. (Yes, Jason, I will put a Titleist cover on it if need be.)

I used to have a Ping G25 4W whose profile was great---nice and shallow---but though I was very consistent with it off the deck, the distance was not all that impressive and the flat black finish didn't do it for me. Plus, it was a bit wide looking down at address. Still, the low profile face was a confidence builder for me. When I carried the Ping, I also carried a Titleist 913 3W. I used the low profile Ping for fairway shots and the Titleist for loftier lies. I got more distance with the Titleist. Eventually, I got used to the larger profile faced Titleist and started using it off the fairway, so was able to sell the Ping on Ebay. Eventually I switched to a 915F 3W (still in the bag), which was very similar to the 913F, looks-wise. When my swing is working, the Titleist is fine. When my confidence is not so high, I long for a low-profile 3W when needing a pure strike from a tight lie.

So, back to the rabbit hole. The one I have gone down is full of potential 3Ws. Titleist and Tour Edge are just the beginning. I have now started specifically researching low profile, smaller head-designed fairway woods. Reading tons of reviews, watching videos and scouring posts about each on WRX, The Hacker's Pradise, The Sand Trap, My Golf Spy, and all the various sites. I have been to all the retail sites as well, reading customer reviews. I added a new bunch of "low-profile" 3W contenders to the list, three of which I quickly nixed, the Ping G, which just doesn't fit my eye, and the TM M2 & M4, which got cut because, well, they're TM. However, the list still has the Srixon F45, Z F65, Z355, the Cobra King F7 & F8 and the Callaway GBB Epic. The Srixons have a very low profile. Ideally, I'd like to find something from last season which can save me a few bucks.

Do any of you play or have any other suggestions for a LOW-PROFILE, technologically-current 3W which offers very good distance, traditional looks, and is easy to hit off the fairway? In the end, I may end up with a Titleist TS, but am willing to look at others that might give me more of what I like. It doesn't happen often, but it wouldn't be the first time something better suited (for me) knocked a Titleist club out of my bag.

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:45 pm

Doug,

Check out the Exotics CB line (currently the CBX and CBX T3).

It's their smaller, tour-type line of fairway woods. The CBX is compact at 167cc. The T3 is even smaller at 162cc (3w).

They're also the only (as far as I know) line of fairway woods still built using a titanium face. Most use carpenter steel now.

The EX line, I believe, replaced the old XCG line, which was their 'average hcp/GI' line.
Bluto did it

DougE

Post by DougE » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:25 am

Duke, I had already checked out the CBX, but only a quick pass. I got the impression it wasn't real forgiving and moved on. However, I have seen some more recent reviews by guys on the Hacker's Paradise who thought the EX10 was absolutely phenomenal last year, but have since agreed that the only thing they have hit that was better was a CBX. I'm not so sure it is low-profile though. I'll take a closer look. Thanks for the suggestion.