My Unpublished Last oob Essay - Battle of the Websites

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

My Unpublished Last oob Essay - Battle of the Websites

Post by bkuehn1952 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:17 pm

Battle of the Websites

It is no secret that oobgolf is owned by SkyGolf but continues to operate separately. While each
community has a few members who are active on both sites, for the most part, we are distinct
groups. Naturally, when one has two groups there has to be some degree of competition. This writer
has sensed a growing demand for a “Battle of the Websites.” Well folks, that day has finally
arrived. Get ready to rumble!

As a participant on both sites, I am the perfect arbiter in this competition. Therefore, I have
graciously appointed myself to act as referee. Gentlemen (and a few Ladies), shake hands and let
the contest begin.

Golfers

Certainly the SkyGolfers are more prolific in their play with 171,354,060 holes played! No wonder
the world economy is in a funk! Doesn’t anyone work anymore?? The outmatched oobers have a mere
45,959,688 holes. Come on guys, the boss won’t notice if you slip out early.

Well, let’s look at individual addiction to golf. SkyGolf can put up “Reslie”, a Golfer of the
Week, at 589 rounds and counting. Well done! Unfortunately, that barely qualifies in the
oobsphere. The oob pacesetter is “Bernie Duffer”, standing at 1,346 rounds. In fact, it would
surprise this referee if that number wasn’t 1,348 by tomorrow.

How about score to par on par 5’s? Oobers record, on average, 6.1 on 5 pars, which is certainly
pretty good. The SkyGolf team, however, edged them out with a 5.9 average. Maybe we should look at
par 4’s? Oob at 5.21 is again edged out by SG’s 5.03. Par 3 holes are similar with oob at 4.2 and
SG slightly better at 3.85. Clearly more SkyGolfers got game than the oob crowd.

Forums

The SkyGolf forum has only been active since December, 2009. So their 1,036 topics and 7,112 posts
is reasonably impressive. That is until the oob numbers are compared. Oob stands at 3,705 topics and
30,972 posts. That’s a lot of hot air! Considering the length of time oob’s forum has been active,
however, a more reasonable measure is probably posts per topic. SG’s ratio is a creditable 6.86 but
oob still leads with 8.36 posts per topic on average. Clearly the oobers are spending too much time
online versus on course. Put those keyboards away and go play!

Conclusion

Gentlemen (and a few Ladies), it looks like a dead heat. The only way this is going to be settled
is on the golf course. We looking for some golfing representatives for the oob vs. SG match. The nominations
are open!
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

CeeBee

Re: My Unpublished Last oob Essay - Battle of the Websites

Post by CeeBee » Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:15 pm

So honorable ref, does this mean you moved your stuff to SkyGolf? Is the deadline Jan 1?
Tee it up!

legitimategolf
Site Admin

Post by legitimategolf » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:15 pm

That's the incendiary piece they wouldn't publish? Couldn't be more innocuous. I guess the mere acknowledgement of any kind of schism is maybe too close for comfort. Well, they cannot muzzle you here Brian.
Teen 'cap wasteland. It's only teen 'cap wasteland.

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:19 pm

legitimategolf wrote:That's the incendiary piece they wouldn't publish? Couldn't be more innocuous. I guess the mere acknowledgement of any kind of schism is maybe too close for comfort. Well, they cannot muzzle you here Brian.
:)
I'm gonna hit a provisional
HCP Index :facepalm

MattF

Post by MattF » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:21 am

I'm not surprised they didn't publish that there...there will be NO dissension at skygolf, ever. Otherwise Nathan throws a hissy and deletes the post.

BTW, did anyone invite Joe Jones or is that not gonna happen?
Throw me another ball will ya!

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:56 am

I 2nd Joe even though we had our moments where we didn't see eye to eye. But hey this is the internet I didn't come here to agree with everything I read.
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:58 am

Also what about DougE? He is very nice. He bought a 3w from his local course for me last year and shipped it to me before he even received my check.

I was really surprised he had so much faith in a random person from the internet. So I would nominate him as well if he isn't already here.
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

Coda1850

Post by Coda1850 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:50 am

I'd also like to see joe jones & DougE in here...
Low Round: 83, +11 Green Hill - 09/15/14
Low Round: 83, +11 Indian Meadows - 09/12/15

Mark unread?

dusty23

Post by dusty23 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:01 pm

I would second DougE and third Joe. Actually I was surprised to not already see them here when I got the invite.

CeeBee

Post by CeeBee » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:15 pm

DougE already here.
Tee it up!