Post your pics of the courses you play

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Re: Post your pics of the courses you play

Post by jasonfish11 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:24 am

Looks like a nice course matt. Don't get banned.
Keep it short stupid.

DougE
dogs: 1

Post by DougE » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:56 am

Three questions Matt:

1. That ball on the par 3 12th that you hit with a 4 iron looks a lot closer than 7 feet. Did you mean 4 feet with a 7 iron?
2. What, no hills, valleys, moguls, uneven lies? :nope
3. Is that windmill part of the first green? :rofl

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:59 am

DougE wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:56 am
Three questions Matt:

1. That ball on the par 3 12th that you hit with a 4 iron looks a lot closer than 7 feet. Did you mean 4 feet with a 7 iron?
Yeah my thought was "damn who has 15' tall flag sticks"
Keep it short stupid.

MattF

Post by MattF » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:18 am

jasonfish11 wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:24 am
Looks like a nice course matt. Don't get banned.
Thanks mate. That's not likely to happen. See #1 to Doug.
DougE wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:56 am
Three questions Matt:

2. What, no hills, valleys, moguls, uneven lies? :nope
3. Is that windmill part of the first green? :rofl
1: Shotscope says it was actually 8' 1" away from the hole. The angle I took the pic from makes it look closer as I wasn't perfectly side on to it.
2: There's one actual hill that goes down on 1 and up on 18 and it's steeper going up on 18. It gently rolls rather than up hill and over dale.
3: It's not mini golf! The green is to the right of the "lake", so it's a slight dogleg for the first hole.
Throw me another ball will ya!

DougE

Post by DougE » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:31 pm

Okay JFish, now that you mention it. Here's a good shot of the 2nd hole tee box at WM. It's taken from the black tee box. That's the blue tees ahead in the pic (where I play from). After playing Worthington's tough 390 yard first hole with a forced carry required for your opening shot, this 2nd hole only applies more pressure to your nerves.

From the blue tees it is roughly 160 yards to clear the wetlands and about 200 yards to reach the top of the steep ridge and left edge of the fairway. If you don't reach the fairway, but are short and in the rough on the side of that hill, good luck. Lie will be uphill and severely above your feet. Anything left of the fairway bunker (about 225-230 out), is in the hazard and definitely not playable, or even findable for that matter.

The hole is only about 360 yards as the crow flies, but it's the #3 handicap hole. The closest end of the fairway (to the tee) leaves you still about 200 yards to the center of the green. So, landing just right of the fairway bunker is the more direct route, but the one with more risk. (Isn't that always the case?) Once you get to the fairway, the approach is no piece of cake either. The fairway slopes right to left, and the green slopes even more right to left, with a hard drop off only a yard left of the green that typically has your head well below the surface of the green if you roll off or miss on that side. But, the right side of the green is all big rolling moguls. If you are even a few feet right on one of those moguls and don't end up with a lie which is safely floppable, a short sided pin is nearly impossible to get close to.

Surprisingly, I usually play this hole well with at least one birdie every dozen rounds or so. I know exactly where to place my approach for most pin positions. Doing it is not always that easy though. It may be the number 3 handicap, but It rarely leaves me with a big number.

The next hole, however, the par 4, 3rd is quite a different story. It is, btw, the #1 handicap. It is the one hole on the course where I can be satisfied with a bogey/five and is not unusual to be the only double on my card. Parring it feels like I made birdie. I'll try to get a good photo, though it doesn't look nearly as intimidating as it actually plays.
Attachments
2nd Hole at WM Tee.jpg
2nd Hole at WM Tee.jpg (143.31 KiB) Viewed 282 times

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:21 am

Your course looks so nice. I wish we had something like this in our area. Virginia Beach is just too flat to have a course like this without moving a TON of dirt.

I have to drive 1-2 hours up into the hills to find courses that look like WM.
Keep it short stupid.

DougE

Post by DougE » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:53 pm

This is one of the easier holes on WM (#14 handicap), the 346 yd, slightly uphill with water right, par 4 10th. I'm waiting to make my 85 yard approach shot, as the sky darkens and a thunderstorm is rolling in quickly. Anything other than par or less on this hole is unacceptable (but happens more often than I want to admit).
Attachments
Approach on 10th.jpg
Approach on 10th.jpg (40.43 KiB) Viewed 243 times

DougE

Post by DougE » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:30 pm

I swear I posted this one on here before, but I don't see it anywhere, so maybe I posted it elsewhere.

In any case, this is the tee shot on the par 5, 9th at Worthington. It's a forced carry of anywhere between 180-210 just to reach the fairway over those wetlands that you can see out ahead of the tee, depending on where the tees are set. There are 3 additional teeing areas even further back. I'm standing on the next one back, taking the picture. It's where the blue tees were that particular day, thankfully. But on many other days the blues are on one of the next two boxes back. A great drive is required.
Attachments
WM from 9th Tee.JPG
WM from 9th Tee.JPG (2.4 MiB) Viewed 237 times

DougE

Post by DougE » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:29 am

Here's a fun little hole. 423 yard par 4, No. 12 at Worthington. This is the approach. Another forced carry over wetlands. If you drive it too far, even in the fairway, you leave yourself a difficult downhill lie to an uphill green. Always fun.
Attachments
No 12 approach.jpg
No 12 approach.jpg (113.89 KiB) Viewed 217 times

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:07 am

DougE wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:29 am
Here's a fun little hole. 423 yard par 4, No. 12 at Worthington. This is the approach. Another forced carry over wetlands. If you drive it too far, even in the fairway, you leave yourself a difficult downhill lie to an uphill green. Always fun.
Holy crap that green looks like it's about as deep as my vocabulary.

Sticking that green from a downhill lie even with a wedge would be tough unless the picture doesn't do the green size justice.
Keep it short stupid.

DougE

Post by DougE » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:45 am

There's some room, but not a lot. 20 paces. You better hit your approach high to have any chance to stop it on the green. I do tend to go off the back often. For me, I typically have 6 iron or longer for my approach, none of which are easy to get up high enough if it's a downhill lie.

Hitting a hybrid or fw off the tee so you don't reach the down slope isn't a bad idea. But, then you have hybrid or 3W in, and there's tons of trouble if you're not accurate, as you can see. The further left you are in the fairway, the longer the required shot.

I've birdied this hole a small number of times, but a par is excellent here. And the green can easily cost you a three putt if you are on the wrong tier. Very sloped and undulated. It's one of the few holes I don't get too upset about bogeying.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:12 am

Looks nice, maybe I'll come up there in my "golf weekend" where I'm leaving my house because of my SIL. haha
Keep it short stupid.

DougE

Post by DougE » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:27 am

Another nice shot looking out from the clubhouse area to the 14th green at Worthington just after sunrise. The practice green and cart barn are to the right. Worthington used to be a farm. That barn is probably well-over 100 years old. Civil War battles were fought on the property. Photo was taken yesterday morning.
Attachments
WM from the Bar steps a.m..jpg
WM from the Bar steps a.m..jpg (33.41 KiB) Viewed 62 times

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:47 am

That needs to make it into their marketing materials. Really nice picture.
Keep it short stupid.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:18 pm

I'm guessing it's not, but that photo looks highly adjusted. Some superb color contrasts, and an overall holiness kind of vibe. Like you could slap some Biblical or New Age Christian inspirational jive words over that shit and sell posters to 'Mericans.
Build a bridge and get over it.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:19 pm

@DougE What camera?
Build a bridge and get over it.

DougE

Post by DougE » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:52 pm

I don't know, but I'm guessing iPhone. The course superintendent took it. He's not very sophisticated. He makes greens and fairways nice. Doesn't know anything about photography as far as I know. I see and speak with him almost every day, but I've never seen him with a camera in his cart. Just shovels and rakes and trimmers, etc. He has an iPhone, though.

I'll check next time I see him.