insufficient data

DougE

Re: Summer Support Group

Postby DougE » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:52 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:
-khaki shorts

-polo shirts

:fkno

Would you suggest an alternative to these two? Cut offs and wife-beaters?

MattF

Postby MattF » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:15 am

How about no golf at all? That's my current summer.
Throw me another ball will ya!

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Postby bkuehn1952 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:13 am

I amazed myself this past weekend. I did not touch a club or hit a ball. Three rounds were played during the week but I can't muster up the desire to fight the world on the weekend.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

DougE

Postby DougE » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:11 am

bkuehn1952 wrote:I amazed myself this past weekend. I did not touch a club or hit a ball. Three rounds were played during the week but I can't muster up the desire to fight the world on the weekend.

I dislike weekend golf too. Well, it's not the golf, it's the crowds I don't care for. The key to in-season, weekend golf is to play late afternoon, just before the rate drops to its lowest point. At my home course, that public rate is 39 bucks after 5. Consequently, between 4:30 and 5, the tee box is usually empty, as no one wants to pay the 3 o'clock rate of 59 bucks, when if they wait a few minutes, they can pay 20 bucks less. There is usually a wide open tee box from around 4:30 to 5. I will often take that 4:30 tee time, with no one ahead for 3 holes. I can usually finish in 3 hours or so, even with a full golf course ahead. (And since I'm a member, there is no extra cost to me no matter what time I play.)

A few weeks back, I played with some buddies in the early afternoon on a Saturday. We finished up around 6 o'clock. On the 18th I was feeling pretty good and felt like playing a few more holes. I noticed the first tee box was open and no one was on the hole. So I teed off, alone. At 6:05, after finishing the first hole and still standing on the green, I called my wife and said I was done with my round and asked what time she wanted to have dinner. She said 7:30ish. I said, okay and told her I was just going to play a couple extra holes and I would be home in time. I played the 2nd and 3rd and realized I still had plenty of time. I then continued and ended up playing the entire front 9, dropping my last putt before 7 o'clock. Was home by 7:10. I can live with that kind of weekend golf.

srogers13

Postby srogers13 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:14 am

Or get the first tee time of the day. Had 6:30am tee times Saturday and Sunday as part of a three ball, and played in about 3:15 both rounds.
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

DougE

Postby DougE » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:22 am

Yes, that works too!

(But, what good is that? When you are finished, you still have the whole day ahead of you to do chores!)

GBOGEY

Postby GBOGEY » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:48 am

One of the odd things about my area is that courses become a little less busy starting late June through August. Too many people have shore houses. That said a weekend round during anything that is prime time is still 4-4.5 hours and you get a few more of the types that play 2 rounds a year and slow things down. That said, I've gotten very comfortable that weekend rounds are 4 hours - that's life. The rest of the week I hope to play faster. Funny thing - I've gotten to the point where I prefer playing with others rather than playing alone, but I only want to play twosomes or threesomes unless I'm playing with people I know. Playing a foursome with 3 strangers is painful - far too slow.

My favorite part of summer is the 4 pm tee off - I can usually get around in 3 hours walking and taking my time. Most courses around me have a flurry of people going out at 3 when the rates drop and then 5 when people leave work. I like to get in-between the two and cruise.

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Postby legitimatebeef » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:38 am

Some good tips here. Think I will try teeing off in that pre-twilight dead zone. Sometimes I forget, that time is money.
insufficient data

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:57 am

Playing at Silver Lake today. Already pre-annoyed. It's sad to say, but I think I'm mostly playing out of obligation, just to maintain some connection however tenuous to actual golf, because it's been so long since I've played any regular workaday (i.e. non Bethpage Black) golf. Sad. I have always been a huge festering misanthrope but I'm even taken aback at how little I care about playing golf lately.
insufficient data

jfurr

Postby jfurr » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:37 am

Thunderstorms gonna mess up my tee time tomorrow
I'm gonna hit a provisional
HCP Index :facepalm

bkuehn1952

Postby bkuehn1952 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:16 pm

I want to know that our compatriot, CeeBee is doing okay. He has been too silent and I know he has battled some ailments recently. Hey! CeeBee! Check in.
Let's Play 36

bkuehn1952

Postby bkuehn1952 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:18 pm

And speaking of ailments, DougE and his shoulders seems to have found the Foutain of Spieth. Way too many scores sub-80. Meanwhile I am impersonating a 65 year old 20 handicapper most of the time. :bawl
Let's Play 36

DougE

Postby DougE » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:50 pm

I played with CeeBee last Saturday. He's doing fine. He had 2 eagles this past week at Worthington Manor. I wouldn't worry about him. He still has game. His knee was bothering him, but evidently, based on the aforementioned eagles, it must be doing better now.

My shoulders are cooperating, but I am very mindful of them. Ice is my daily friend, as well as KT Tape and Advil.

Your scores seem far from a 20 handicapper, BK. I have checked in on you at SkyGolf recently. I have not noticed any 90s. Some low 80s and high 70s is all I have seen from you, and that does not equate to any 20 handicapper I know. You're too hard on yourself. I guess maybe most of us who are fanatical about the game are hard on ourselves.

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:59 pm

Ugh I played some hot summer golf today, at an overpriced crappy slow Long Island course called Stonebridge. Feeling bleak now. Where have all the good times gone.

Winter is a magical time. When the spirit can roam free on the golf course. :facepalm
insufficient data

sjduffers

Postby sjduffers » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:09 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:Ugh I played some hot summer golf today, at an overpriced crappy slow Long Island course called Stonebridge. Feeling bleak now. Where have all the good times gone.

Winter is a magical time. When the spirit can roam free on the golf course. :facepalm

Ditto, except that for some reason they didn't jack up their price today (they will tomorrow though). It was long and slow slog of 5.5 hours in the sun. A guy in my group (paired on the tee) was a (mostly) good player but took more than one full minute from his turn to hit to his ball in the air! :bawl And we were still waiting on the group in front, which was mostly waiting on the group in front. :fk

It's golf, yes, but the fun is somewhat marginal in times like this...
I'm gonna go low this time...

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:16 am

sjduffers wrote:It's golf, yes, but the fun is somewhat marginal in times like this...

Thank you. Glad I am not the only one suffering. But what do we do now? Is my question to you. I think ahead to my next summer round, whenever/ wherever it will be, and all I can feel is bleakness. I bear no expectation of having fun on a golf course for the next 4-5 months. Such a thing seems inconceivable.

I played a couple days ago, and aside from a couple of aggravating instances where balls disappeared in broad daylight, the gameplay was alright. I made some okay swings and shots and whatever. But the thing is it never felt like fun. It felt like serving time. Hot and humid, sun beating down. The course I was on charged upscale prices while offering zero amenities, no drink cart, not even a lousy dixie cup worth of iced tap water (which is dutifully provided at every last shitty NYC muni). Beset on all sides by overwhelmingly sausage party atmosphere. Crappy golf swings as far as the eye can see. Slice City. Stray balls from adjacent holes whizzing by your head. I almost got beaned while standing in the first fairway.

I am starting to feel good about my swing. But now I also feel futility. There's nowhere for me to use it. Just gotta hang tight until late November, maybe pray for an early winter onset. #FMGL
insufficient data

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Postby jasonfish11 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:19 am

If you are not opposed to getting up early the best thing I've noticed is be ready before the 1st tee time of the course. The majority of the time I've done that the starter just sends me off as a single 5 min before the 1st tee time just to get me out of the way. I usually finish in about 2.5-3 hours.

Occasionally I'll get this response from the starter though...
"So we have a 3-some booked at 7:30 I'm going to pair you with" which to me usually means "you are going to have to wait 1 hour for a slot" because the 1st tee time is around 6:30.

So that sucks but it usually works the 1st way.
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

GBOGEY

Postby GBOGEY » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:42 am

As I've commented, outside of Saturday mornings when I know it will be 4:15 no matter what and I'm playing with guys I want to spend time with, I tend to plan my rounds around times I think it will not be a slog. Monday waited until 1 pm to tee off. It was a little warmer than earlier in the day, but our threesome had a nice leisurely round in a little under 4 hours. The starter said that they were packed up until 12:30 and then again after 2. Sweated a little extra but worth it.

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:53 pm

jasonfish11 wrote:If you are not opposed to getting up early the best thing I've noticed is be ready before the 1st tee time of the course.

insufficient data

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:56 pm

It's f'n Friday and yet I sense little to no excitement for golf. That is because it is summer and summer golf sucks. Over here it poured rain most of the morning. Now it's clearing up but who cares. Maybe I'll go whack a few balls later.
insufficient data

DougE

Postby DougE » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:28 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:It's f'n Friday and yet I sense little to no excitement for golf.

Do you mean little to no excitement in you, or in all of us?

I am on the DL for a few days due to a bacterial infection, of which I will not go into detail. Had to walk off the course after 7 holes on the 4th. I am dying to get back out, but still need time for the meds to knock it down more. Still in enough pain to affect swing.

I am absolutely excited for golf, but am disappointed that I don't see a lot of traffic here lately. I check in here multiple times a day, but sadly move on when there is nothing new to read. I am happy to contribute more, but I don't want to wear out my welcome or bore anyone. Evidently my sailing stories are more interesting than my golf stories. Maybe I'll start a sailing blog. ;)

bkuehn1952

Postby bkuehn1952 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:50 pm

I had my "free" practice round for the Ann Arbor City Men's Championship, today. The actual event is July 14-16 but I figured I may as well find out how bad it will be. As a feeble old man, I typically do not play the course at 6,700 yards, and this morning we had a deluge so it played as long or longer than the published yardage.

I managed a marginally respectable 84.. I feel confidant that I won't look like a fool playing with all the 25 year olds (as far as score - not distance). Of course, at the end of the day I will be in the 4th flight but I can say I competed.
Let's Play 36

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Postby jasonfish11 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:13 pm

I have been badly wanting to play. Just finding the time on weekends between my to-do list is pretty difficult.

Had a big success this last weekend when I fixed the broken sprinkler pipe. This weekend is about my wife's birthday so won't be asking for golf. Next weekend I hope.
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

MattF

Postby MattF » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:59 am

I'm excited about golf, but, I can't play except for next Saturday.

We have been having some major relationship issues and golf has to take a back seat for the time being.
Throw me another ball will ya!

Return to “The Legitimategolf Forum”