Summer Support Group

DougE

Re: Summer Support Group

Postby DougE » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:41 am

legitimatebeef wrote:What the hell's going on out there. What is everyone up to.

Tired of the people taking over MY course. It's now Autumn golf outing season. Big chunks of the tee sheet, sometimes all-day long, 3 or 4 days a week are being taken up by charity scramble events. And it's bad enough that they are taking over the tee sheet, but when they are out there, I find so many of them who don't have a clue as to how to behave on a "higher-end" golf course. They treat the place worse than a low-budget muni, ignoring signage, driving off the cart path onto the playing area on par 3s, racing carts, playing bumper carts, doing donuts on fairways, leaving garbage all over, peeing in places that even a homeless person wouldn't consider and generally acting like idiots, basically abusing MY course and I hate it.

I was driving by the course the other day on my way to play in the afternoon, aware that an outing had gone off in the morning. As I passed the 10th green, which is alongside the road, I glanced over and saw not one, but two carts driving out from a place a cart should never go in the first place (waist-high cabbage and fescue directly behind the green), back to the cart path on a narrow path made to access the green on foot and never intended for anything other than foot traffic. Are people just stupid?

Can't wait till the temps get down in the 50s and scare the fair weather golfers off, though I will hate losing 20 yards off my drives. I need every yard I can get.

MattF

Postby MattF » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:19 am

It's high 80's here until about Thursday...just until I have a bit of surgery and won't be doing anything for about a month or so.
Throw me another ball will ya!

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Postby legitimatebeef » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:39 am

Always good to hear from the Dugmeister, even if, nay especially if it's a cranky rant.

DougE wrote:racing carts, playing bumper carts, doing donuts on fairways, leaving garbage all over, peeing in places that even a homeless person wouldn't consider and generally acting like idiots, basically abusing MY course and I hate it.

I am surprised anytime I see adult age men getting their jollies by playing with the cart. When you are a little kid it's exciting and fun to drive the cart but the novelty wears off pretty quick, I thought. Speaking of urination, a few weeks ago at Silver Lake I was walking from the 9th to the 10th holes, in front of the clubhouse and came across a dude with his dick out flapping in the breeze, peeing against a wall completely out in the open. Even worse it's a guy who volunteers at the course :fuckall

I was driving by the course the other day on my way to play in the afternoon, aware that an outing had gone off in the morning. As I passed the 10th green, which is alongside the road. I glanced over and saw not one, but two carts driving out from a place a cart should never go in the first place (waist-high cabbage and fescue directly behind the green), back to the cart path on a narrow path made to access the green on foot and never intended for anything other than foot traffic. Are people just stupid?

When males group together in the absence of females, we become worse people, simple as that. Things like judgment, courtesy, responsibility tend to get suppressed. One of the most disgusting realities of golf is its pervasive sausage party dynamic. Sausage parties exist everywhere in nature but rarely are they are noxious and pervasive as on the golf course. I.e. most of us go to the golf course NOT desiring to be part of any kind of sausage party, but almost always, you get affected by it in some way or another.
insufficient data

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Postby jasonfish11 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:54 am

My favorite course in VA beach actually has a lot of women that play it. I think it's because their head teaching pro is a woman.

But I couldn't ever figure out why it is my favorite course, as it isn't the nicest or the cheapest. It's the epitome of average all around. It's just the people are nicer all around. Never thought there might be a correlation to the average gender on the course being more female than other courses. But maybe you have something.
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:00 pm

"In speaking of the masculine element, I do not wish to be understood to say that all men are hard, selfish, and brutal, for many of the most beautiful spirits the world has known have been clothed with manhood; but I refer to those characteristics, though often marked in woman, that distinguish what is called the stronger sex. For example, the love of acquisition and conquest, the very pioneers of civilization,when expended on the earth, the sea, the elements, the riches and forces of nature, are powers of destruction when used to subjugate one man to another or to sacrifice nations to ambition.

Here that great conservator of woman’s love, if permitted to assert itself, as it naturally would in freedom against oppression, violence, and war, would hold all these destructive forces in check, for woman knows the cost of life better than man does, and not with her consent would one drop of blood ever be shed, one life sacrificed in vain."

:puke

-Elizabeth Cady Stanton
insufficient data

srogers13

Postby srogers13 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:12 pm

While Yokohama did not renew their sponsorship of the LPGA tournament here, they decided to host a Symetra tour tournament here this year (LPGA's version of the Web.com Tour.) So of course I have been volunteering in the scoring tent again. With so little money paid out on this tour, it is interesting to see how the players go about their business. Some player have family members (or maybe even hired) caddie, some use push carts, some carry (even saw some caddies use the push carts.)

But there are also volunteer caddies, which can lead to problems. Two stories, first one I ended up a party to, since a rules official was called to the scoring tent. One of the players got a volunteer caddie yesterday (brutally humid and warmish day,) and on one of the par 3s, before she could say anything, he hopped on a cart (at the direction of a marshall, not a rules official) and took a ride to the green. Oops, two stroke penalty. At least she has played well enough to make the cut.

Second story I heard second hand, a player found out her volunteer caddie was sort of inexperienced. It seems it was his first time ever on a golf course. :puke . Her playing partners asked her what she did, and she said she told him to stay the hell out of her way.

Also ended up being a part of surprising a player with other players wishing her a happy birthday.

With no TV commitments, the tour thought they would be smart and do the final round starting off two tees tomorrow at 7:30 so we could be done by 2ish. Of course, be Hellabama today, lightning delay means half the field has to come back tomorrow morning to finish, cut and re-pair, now finish at 5-6ish.
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

DougE

Postby DougE » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:46 am

I'm getting concerned. We are in the middle (okay, after the middle) of another golf season and our traffic here seems to be drying up.

This is the summer support group, right? Help me. Add some content so we have something to read and comment on. The Jasons are here and contributing pretty much everyday (Beef and Fish), but I'd love to see so much more. Who knows what winter will be like for those of us who actually have to deal with it, so I am worried about hearing crickets here during the off season.

My hope is to play all winter like I did last year (though I realize that may be a bit optimistic to think we can go two years in a row without having to take an extended break), and have some (interesting?) content for the forums as a result.

Maybe I'm just bored and looking for some more golf excitement. The 2016/17 PGA Tour is over. The Fed Ex Cup has been won (by JT, Titleist guy,yay!), and the President's Cup next week normally brings me nowhere near the excitement as that of the Ryder Cup. Maybe it will be interesting, but I doubt I'll watch a whole lot of it. The leaves around here are starting to turn and I can feel the season winding down, even though the course is still jammed-packed. Though I am looking forward to a quieter time on the course in the waning months of Autumn, I am not looking forward to winter and the greater lack of enthusiasm for the game that I always notice online when I am searching for anything to keep me hyped up about it during those quiet times. Though I will play often if and when the temps and conditions permit over the winter, it's typically not "real" golf. But, I guess any golf is better than no golf. On the bright side, I can usually score better in winter when the rough, fescue and cabbage areas are dormant. Makes the game much easier. Unfortunately, it's usually without anyone there to witness those great rounds (fairweather wimps) and no matter how great they might be, I don't get to post them for my official index. So that sucks. Plus, by winter, I'll be another year older. So that sucks even more.

On a brighter note, one of the reasons I probably won't watch a lot of the President's Cup is that my Connecticut golf posse (the other three guys who made up my old Oxford Greens regular foursome) are coming on Friday for 3 days of golf. I'm actually going to play a different course on Saturday, for the first time in 60 or 70 rounds. Been getting stale at Worthington-- as much as I love it--but a round at Maryland National is on our agenda. I have played there once before. Not a good round last time so looking for another chance at it. Though, the pressure of playing with my old gang has me a little nervous. I have dropped my index a fair amount since leaving CT and they are expecting to see some dazzling new stuff from me. Or maybe I am expecting to dazzle them with my better game and they could care less. Probably the latter. Either way, added pressure.

Okay, I'm rambling, as usual. Better go get ready to play today. I'll check in later with hopes that there are some new and interesting posts to read. BK should be getting back from Italy soon. He should have something of interest to say. But I'm counting on everyone here to fill these pages with good content all winter. Sharpen those pencils boys.

Boy, I am getting really pathetic. Begging for cyber-friends to write stuff so I can read it and have content to comment on. It's going to be a long winter.

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:09 am

I plan on being more golf-active than ever during the late fall/winter if that's any consolation. Plus my game feels like it's on the verge of bustin' out. Or something. So there's that.

A lot of my indifference is weather related. For example I was crestfallen to look at the extended forecast and see nothing but sunny skies and temps in the 80s.

Let's face it the PGA Tour's appeal keep shrinking. Jordan and Justin are wonderful and all, but aside from them being slightly younger than people expect top golfers to be, they are very much golf establishment status quo, kids who grew up in country clubs. And that does nothing for fairweather fans like myself. For example when Thomas won the PGA, it was like, oh and there's Justin's dad, a PGA pro. Oh and there's Justin's mom, a PGA pro. Oh and there's Justin's pee-paw, he's also a PGA pro! That's all kind of a cute from a human-interest perspective, but for a fairweather fan who "grew up" watching peak-era Tiger and Phil it's not that interesting. In fact whenever I turn on the tube and it happens to be tuned to PGAT golf, and I'm not interested, I make sure to change the channel so as not to contribute ratings. :heynow
insufficient data

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:53 am

I'm really not sure how I feel about golf right now. I have very minimal motivation to actually play right now.

I love going to the range every morning and working on my swing and "mentally" playing golf.

But the time commitment really prevents me from playing more on the weekends. My weekends are basically 1 day given that we spend half of Saturday morning doing soccer for my son, and another half of a day doing chores (grocery shopping, cleaning, laundry, mowing, ect). Throw in college football and boom there goes another 4 hours, yes I know some of this can be done at the same time but you get the picture. So I get down to 1 day to cram in what ever activities we want to do on the weekend and I prefer to spend that time with my wife and son.

When you add in travel time, warm up time at the range, ect. A 4-4.5 hour round of golf turns into 5-6 hours easily. That is a tough ask for me when I basically have 1 day a week with my wife and son.

I think this weekend I'm going to head out super early and try to sweep the dew. Hopefully my wife and son will sleep in and I'll be able to finish in 2-3 hours (which is a nice leisurely pace with no one in front of me). But that is really the only thing that makes golf work for me anymore, and I worry that once we get into winter I'll loose the early morning golf due to the frost.

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:55 am

And I'm sure beef is sitting back in NYC wishing end to end golf was 5-6 hours.

MattF

Postby MattF » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:08 pm

With family issues I haven't had the chance to play much at all. Yesterday's annual family scramble was the first time since June that I've picked up a club and by the end of the round I was excited. But living in NEO, golf will come to a close shortly and having surgery Friday will pretty much take any chance of playing again until we go to Florida in February.

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:30 pm

Praying for you MattF. Praying that you will find the strength to y'know, harden the fack up and everything. :thumbs
insufficient data

MattF

Postby MattF » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:15 am

Thanks Beef. I suppose this is appropriate...

GBOGEY

Postby GBOGEY » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:33 pm

I guess that it is fall, but we had in NJ the wettest, coolest summer that I can remember. The courses never dried out and were lush through August. Unheard of in NJ. But September has been the warmest and driest I have ever seen. Courses are rock hard right now, almost like a normal August. Had 6 of what I thought were good shots today hit the front or middle of the green and go off the back. I think because it is cool that they are skimping on watering.

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:42 pm

GBOGEY wrote:I guess that it is fall, but we had in NJ the wettest, coolest summer that I can remember. The courses never dried out and were lush through August. Unheard of in NJ. But September has been the warmest and driest I have ever seen. Courses are rock hard right now, almost like a normal August. Had 6 of what I thought were good shots today hit the front or middle of the green and go off the back. I think because it is cool that they are skimping on watering.

It has been dry in terms o' precipitation but goddang it, this is the humidest September of all-time.
insufficient data

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:48 pm

They say it's going to cool off starting today. I don't know man, I still experienced some casual sweating. Humidity and temps are down somewhat though. Supposedly high in the 60s this weekend. If that holds, should be nice and refreshing. Don't know if I have ever looked so forward to fall/winter. I am going to fuck shit up.
insufficient data

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:13 pm

It cooled off for a day or two but now it's warm again. Looking ahead to the forecast, it's more of the same far as the eye can see: lots of sunshine, mild to warm temps, oh and SEVERE LOW GOLFABILITY INDEX ADVISORY WARNING WATCH. :fuckall

My fear is that I am going to put off golf til the winter, only to be hit with a winter season that's as inclement as the summer and fall have been temperate. Fuckin shit.
insufficient data

MattF

Postby MattF » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:11 am

I just looked at the Farmers Almanac for Ohio and they said that we will get more snow but milder temperatures. The most snow will be early to mid December, late December, early January and early February.

Return to “The Legitimategolf Forum”