Rules question

JPJ
dogs: 0

Rules question

Postby JPJ » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:51 pm

A couple of our members were playing against each other in one of our matchplay competitions.

After 18 holes they were all square.

One of them (Player A) was happy to continue back down the 1st to play sudden death, but the other (Player B), seeing a couple of groups ready to tee off on the first said it would take too long and wanted to finish the match another day.

Now, we're all agreed that they should have carried on on the day, perhaps asking those groups if they'd be alright to allow them to play first to finish their match, but that was last weekend, and now Player A is suggesting that the match should be given to him as he was willing to play, but from what he said at the committee meeting on Thursday I'm not convinced that he didn't agree to postpone at the time (which makes it a little difficult for him to win an appeal for a concession, I think).

It's all very odd.

What are your thoughts.
Golf is too hard. Stupid golf.

bkuehn1952

Re: Rules question

Postby bkuehn1952 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:00 pm

If there were no provisions for how to continue in the event of a tie on 18, then the agreement to play another day should be followed. If the committee established a procedure and the players did not follow it, both should be disqualified. Sounds like DQ to me for both.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

JPJ

Postby JPJ » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:10 pm

JPJ wrote:from what he said at the committee meeting on Thursday I'm not convinced that he didn't agree to postpone at the time (which makes it a little difficult for him to win an appeal for a concession, I think)

Ah, the downside to having a committee meeting in a pub!

Player A has clarified his side of the story. Essentially, he says that Player B didn't ask, but just stated that he couldn't wait (i.e. couldn't give any more time) and they would just have to finish the match another day.

Player A: "He didn't ask the question."

bkuehn1952

Postby bkuehn1952 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:43 pm

Well, in match play, an opponent has to make a claim prior to teeing off on the next hole. By analogy, a player who does not agree to continuing a match another day should have said, "play on or concede the match." Since the player did not voice an objection, too bad for him/her, in my book.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

jev

Postby jev » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:22 pm

Assuming this situation isn't covered by the Conditions of the Competitions, the agreement to play a sudden death playoff stands since both players did not raise a claim immediately after leaving the final hole of the stipulated round*. A claim on this can't be made after leaving "the green of the final hole". See definition of "Timely manner" in R2-5.

*) See R 2-3: the stipulated round can be extended with extra holes only by the committee. The playoff that is not covered by the CoC therefore does not belong to the stipulated round.

Player A did not object right there and than (on the green, that is, and immediately announce the claim to his opponent). Also, he should've contacted the committee much, much earlier. The committee should not honour the claim, not even further investigate.

Now, to continue... is the competition delayed by their decision to stop the match? If not, players must agree to continue play as soon as practicably possible. If they do not, both will be DQ'd, see R 6-8 a.

IMHO though, since "the committee" decided the reason for stopping is not valid, the match is undecided. The committee should decide on when the match is to continue or declare the match void (for example by announcing the results of the round).
90% of the game is mental, the other half is all in your head (Yogi)

Duke of Hazards

Postby Duke of Hazards » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:14 pm

They should just arm wrestle like real men.

JPJ

Postby JPJ » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:31 am

Thanks, guys.

I must admit the option of a DQ for both players hadn't come up as an option (good job this isn't the final!)

bryan k

Postby bryan k » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:55 am

I think this is an interesting case study on human behavior in general. When things happen that we don't expect, we wait for some kind of leader to step forward and lead the way. Golf is interesting because there is no such leader the vast majority of the time, and the result is that we have a rule book that no one follows.

Return to “The Legitimategolf Forum”