driving range confessions

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

driving range confessions

Postby legitimatebeef » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:34 pm

The Driving Range Walk of Shame is when you skank the last ball in your bucket, and you refuse to leave on a bad note so you cross the firing line and walk out on to the range to steal an extra ball or two.

The people here in South Orange County are the worst offenders I've ever seen. I am seeing geezers walk up to 10 yards out to salvage balls, and nobody seems to give a single shit. It's like everyone's willing to look the other way because they know they themselves will be out there sooner or later.
everyone is gay

bryan k

Re: driving range confessions

Postby bryan k » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:24 pm

That's kind of funny. If I really need to hit "one more ball", I'll grab a ball out of my bag. There are usually a couple in there that I don't ever intend to play on a course.

GBOGEY

Postby GBOGEY » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:05 am

Guilty to both at various times. My other problem is, "how do you leave balls that you could hit at the range?" So yesterday I went to the range wanting to hit about 60-70 balls. Of course, the smallest bucket is 50 balls and the next up is 90, so I bought 90 swearing that I would leave behind 20 balls or so. And of course when I get to the stalls someone had left about 30 balls there to begin with so now I have 120 and I didn't want to wear myself out. I had a good session and accomplished all of my goals with probably 80-90 balls, so for the 2nd time ever I left balls behind. Normally I would have kept hitting until I was done, even just to pitch or chip them all away. Proud of my self control.

DougE

Postby DougE » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:37 am

Beef, you probably already realize this, but, you might look for a range at a golf course close by to where you are, instead of an independent range who charges by the bucket. Many better courses include range balls in their greens fee and don't sell them by the bucket, but rather have an endless supply on the range for those who have tee times. I know at my course, and many others of this level in the area, you can just go to the pro shop and purchase range use. Some charge by the hour, but mine charges a flat fee. You can stay there all day and hit 2000 balls or more, not that you would want to. You will never shank your last one.

I think the fee at my course is $12 for unlimited use/balls during periods that the tees are set up on mats, usually Mon-Wed, and $16 when off grass tees, normally Thurs-Sunday. Not surprisingly, a lot of people take advantage of our range (and full short game practice area) who are not actually playing that day.

I sometimes chip or pitch a few hundred balls in a session, on top of 40 or 50 full swing shots with all clubs. That would be expensive by the bucket. Of course, range balls---as many as I want---are included in my membership. I hit a hundred or so just last night, of which probably 1/2 were chips and pitches at short pinpoint targets (usually a specific ball I see laying on the range anywhere between 5 and 50 yards out). I never feel like I'm wasting range balls when I am working on 5 yards chip shots. Though we have a short game practice area, which I use when I am specifically working on various lies in the rough or bunker shots, it's sometimes a pain to keep having to clean off the green of all those balls. So I find it nice to just chip balls from the short grass on the range without having to worry about cleaning up the mess I make.

bryan k

Postby bryan k » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:12 pm

I typically find that courses that include range balls in the green fees are either very nice or very crappy. There's no happy medium to be found there.

I've yet to run across a course that charges by the hour. However, I will say that my favorite practice facilities are the ones that have a large number of range balls just sitting on or around a chipping green. I have been known to spend hours on the chipping green, and having a good 80-100 balls to work with makes that time very productive.

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:55 pm

DougE wrote:Beef, you probably already realize this, but, you might look for a...

STFU :fuckall I'm not gonna find anything like that, you know it and I know it.
everyone is gay

DougE

Postby DougE » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:59 am

Not in NYC, but aren't you in CA right now?

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:31 pm

DougE wrote:Not in NYC, but aren't you in CA right now?

I am but I couldn't be arsed, as JPJ might say. Anyways, I'm headed to the airport in a half hour. :ohyeah
everyone is gay

Duke of Hazards

Postby Duke of Hazards » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:21 pm

Yeah, no Doug. There isn't anything like that here. Nor are the cartpaths paved with gold.

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:01 pm

Let's get real here. I am starting to feel contempt for my fellow driving range man. If you suck at making contact or hitting straight, I probably have contempt for you. If it looks like you are trying too hard, either with the clubs or the attire or the swing aids or the stretching or whatever, I also have contempt for you. Don't even get me started on the blind leading the blind situations, i.e. men attempting to teach their spouses, girlfriends, kids etc :facepalm On the range I don't care if someone is a cool person or whatever. If you are a poseur and/or you suck at golf, get away from me! :gross

The "golfers" here must be some of the worst in the USA. As a region, we are probably among the worst. I mean, I haven't wandered the globe in search of the worst golfers or anything but I look around me and it's like, how much worse could it get?
everyone is gay

DougE

Postby DougE » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:05 am

Though this isn't really a driving range confession, it gave me a chuckle.

I was standing on the range, from which the first tee is directly left. I happened to be all the way on the left side of the range so was only about 15 yards from the black tee. I see a foursome getting ready to go off. So I stopped and watched. They were heading off the white tees, so were about 50 yards away from me. The first hole goes out diagonally over wetlands and up a hill to the fairway, which runs somewhat perpendicular to the tee. The green is at the far left end, not obvious, but visible from the tee. Standing on that first tee, the 18th fairway approaches from the left, with it's green elevated and just behind you. There are woods, a stream and continued wetlands running between the 1st and 18th fairway. Total separation between the two.

The first guy in the group, steps up on the tee, and from where I'm standing, it looks like he is set up wide open to the ball as if he is playing for a big slice over the wetlands and up to the 1st fairway. He swings and hits a draw, right into the middle of the fairway...the 18th fairway :o . He bends over and picks up his tee, proud of himself until another guy in the group explains that it's not the first fairway. I have never seen anyone end up in the 18th fairway off the first tee before. If you line up to hit your 1st tee shot correctly, that fairway is literally behind you off your left quarter.

Never realized local knowledge was needed to get off the first tee.

I guess you had to be there to get the full humorous affect.

Duke of Hazards

Postby Duke of Hazards » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:58 am

That's funny. I've actually hit to the wrong green before, but never to the wrong fairway from the tee. Could he still play a 2nd shot? Sounds like maybe he shortened the hole if the 1st hole doglegs left a bit.

DougE

Postby DougE » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:10 pm

Duke of Hazards wrote: Could he still play a 2nd shot? Sounds like maybe he shortened the hole if the 1st hole doglegs left a bit.

Possibly, though he would have had to go over the large tall trees and wetlands separating 18 from 1. He probably would have had 190-200 yards from there and I doubt he could have gotten over those trees from where he was. Even with a lofted club. However, now that I think about it, he could have hit his 2nd shot from the 18th fairway, further up the fairway towards the tee, where there is an opening in the trees, just about inline with where the first green is. If he placed his 2nd right, he could have had 80-90 yards for his third, over the wetlands, up a steep hill, onto to the 1st green. Hmmmm, I'll have to keep that option in my bag. You never know, I might need it some day when the wind is howling from the wrong direction on the first hole. ;)

Return to “The Legitimategolf Forum”