Autumn Support Group Thread

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Re: Autumn Support Group Thread

Post by legitimatebeef » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:06 pm

Bring it on. However cold and nasty it gets, I will still find a way to sweat. Actually the farmer's almanac predicts "mild and wet" for the tri-state. I am hopeful for an active December at least. If it holds up like it's been, over the holidays I am going to get after it Gbogey style. Just kidding. Maybe at 1/5th the intensity, if I am lucky.
no more polo shirts

DougE

Post by DougE » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:20 am

sjduffers wrote:I just sliced the top of my left thumb off, chopping salad. I have a flat spot now and it did hurt like hell: it's a bit better now, a day later, but I don't think I can hold a club. Bummer!
So it's been a few weeks. As I mentioned, mine grew back after I did the same thing many years ago. How is yours doing, SJD?

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:31 pm

DougE wrote:
sjduffers wrote:I just sliced the top of my left thumb off, chopping salad. I have a flat spot now and it did hurt like hell: it's a bit better now, a day later, but I don't think I can hold a club. Bummer!
So it's been a few weeks. As I mentioned, mine grew back after I did the same thing many years ago. How is yours doing, SJD?
Thanks for asking Doug. I was heavily bandaged for the first 2 weeks or so, but started playing about a week into it, badly, as I was still very afraid of putting any pressure (even by accident) on the top of the thumb: of course, applying pressure to the pad (where the thumbprint is) was mostly fine, but the thickness of the bandaged thumb was really awkward trying to hold a club. Right now, it's almost completely healed, with a very slight dull sensation if I push down on the ex-wound. I can also still feel a slight flat on the top: it's barely noticeable at all, and only by me. I consider it over and done with. :thrust :yess

This whole incident messed with my game though and I am still trying to recover from that (short game in particular)... :facepalm :thumbs
I'm gonna go low this time...

DougE

Post by DougE » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:25 pm

Sounds like, in the end, you still have 9.99 fingers intact. (That's assuming all others are still connected and complete.) Coulda been a lot worse. Glad you are back to working on your game.

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:38 pm

DougE wrote:Sounds like, in the end, you still have 9.99 fingers intact. (That's assuming all others are still connected and complete.) Coulda been a lot worse. Glad you are back to working on your game.
Yup, all my digits are still attached and intact and this one will finish to grow back I feel, so I'll be at 100% soon. Thanks again, Doug. :thumbs
I'm gonna go low this time...

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Post by bkuehn1952 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:47 am

Yup, my last golf was played December 2. The clubs are down in the basement, probably until March unless we take a trip south or El Nino comes to my rescue.

:bawl
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

DougE

Post by DougE » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:59 am

BK, I hope you have reason to pull them out of the basement long before March! C'mon el Nino/Nina (whichever the good one is)!

Maybe now that your clubs are hibernating, you'll have more free time to be here on LG. I will be looking forward to your posts, as always.

DougE

Post by DougE » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:00 am

Light snow here in MD this morning. Not happy. :fk

Have tee times scheduled for Monday and Tuesday. That may not happen, but still hopeful.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:37 pm

Gayass Eastern Seaboard autumn snow party. I feel like even Furr might have got a snowflake or two. We got coated, with light falling snow all day long, maybe 5". Outlook is hazy. Our golf season now teeters on the edge of existence. :nope Just as I was starting to kick some butt :nope

:nope
no more polo shirts

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:54 pm

I got snowed out today in Hellabama from overnight snow.
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

MattF

Post by MattF » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:14 am

We got a dusting here in Ohio, not even 1/4".
Throw me another ball will ya!

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:43 am

Wow, glad to have you guys at the gay snow party.

I have hope this morning. Hope of swinging a golf club in a meaningful context again in 2017. The covering is fine and powdery and already melting in the bright sun rays. Area children attempting to enjoy some downhill sledding are not reaching very high speeds, and getting dirty in the process. :ohyeah As of now there is over 50% chance of rain on Tuesday. :fu
no more polo shirts

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:08 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:43 am
Wow, glad to have you guys at the gay snow party.

I have hope this morning. Hope of swinging a golf club in a meaningful context again in 2017. The covering is fine and powdery and already melting in the bright sun rays. Area children attempting to enjoy some downhill sledding are not reaching very high speeds, and getting dirty in the process. :ohyeah As of now there is over 50% chance of rain on Tuesday. :fu
Jesus Christ, things really changed since I posted that on Sunday. The world turned white again. 😣 Not even thinking about playing golf right now. No horizon. Just whiteness.

Let me remind you people it is still "autumn".

Next week is going to be a crucible of emotions. The temperatures are forecast to be mild, but getting the course back into a playable state will be a struggle--at best! There's also possibility of some more snow between now and then as well. Altogether I'd say it's around 50/50. :breaking
no more polo shirts

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:07 am

Got a little more snow last night. It was kind of wet at least. Tuesday high forecast 52°but I remain doubtful. Perhaps by the end of the week.

Frankly I am a little worried these days. It might not take a whole lot to kill off the winter golf season. It doesn't need be some epic historic bout of Arctic weather. You just need one or two big snows, followed by a bunch of cold n' dry days. Then before you know it months have passed since you last stepped on green grass. Life is shitty like that.

Yet somehow, all this crap, it still beats west coast weather.
no more polo shirts

DougE

Post by DougE » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:12 am

Not sure about it beating west coast weather (albeit, without the fires), but I will take what the forecast is showing for next week here and try to run with it. 46* Sunday, 53* Monday, 56* Tuesday, then high 40s for a couple days and back in the 50s Friday. If that holds true, I plan to get in 4 or 5 rounds, on top of the 8 rounds already under my belt this month. Gonna walk at least a couple rounds for sure, just to make sure there is some room for a few extra Holiday treats in my caloric budget.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:28 am

You don't have snow on the ground? That next week forecast sounds great, hope you can get out there and get all those rounds in. Even if I am stuck inside and miserable. I am magnanimous like that.
no more polo shirts

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:04 pm

Cleaned my clubs today with soap, water and brushing. Then did the same with the grips. Usually just give them the hard rub with a wet cloth. What else to do - no playing, no range.

DougE

Post by DougE » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:13 pm

I am driving the ball as well as ever right now. Go figure. 45 degrees today and I hit at least 6 or 7 drives as long as I can remember hitting on those holes even in summer temps. Drawing nearly everything, except when I hook. No fades to speak of. Iron play has also been very good. I am not losing much distance, if any, in these cold temps. How is this possible? Though I feel like I hit the ball pretty well most of the year, lately my ballstriking seems as good as ever. Still playing the blue tees virtually every round. Would have certainly expected to move up to the whites for the winter, but see no real reason to yet. I don't want to jinx anything, but I feel 15 years younger out there right now.

Forecast looks playable for the upcoming week, for the most part, so I'll be out there at least a few days seeing if I can continue this satisfying play.