Autumn Support Group Thread

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Autumn Support Group Thread

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:27 am

Attempted to sneak out yesterday due to cold, windy weather.

Was not able to make it all the way around the course due to crowding. :facepalm

To see crowding at this time of year, on that day of week, in those weather conditions was profoundly disappointing. Good news for the golf course business though I guess.

The pace of play was glacial but for once I could not blame others for it. The conditions made it impossible to keep track of/not lose balls. I hit an 8-iron approach that just barely missed left of the green; I wasn't able to find the ball and from there I just gave up and wandered off in search of open holes.

I arrived at the course with five balls, and pitifully I lost them all. Driving back in, head hung in shame, I found a stray ball on the ground and decided to play it for one last hole. But again I pulled the approach just slightly left of the green and again was unable to find it. Fitting end to the day.

Because of the warm weather, the grass is still lush and deep green. Deep rough covered with mass quantities of leaves PLUS the glare from the lowering sun turns golf into a search party/comedy of errors.

I started the day feeling hopeful due to the onset of some cold weather. But the time I left the course I realized that my time to enjoy golf has not arrived yet. I'd gotten too eager.
The human race is just a chemical scum on a moderate-sized planet, orbiting around a very average star in the outer suburb of one among a hundred billion galaxies

DougE

Re: Autumn Support Group Thread

Post by DougE » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:00 am

Gonna be 75 degrees here today. It was mid-50s yesterday. I walked nine for some practice time on the course, since there were only a handful of people out there. Looking forward to my distances being back to normal today, but not to the crowds that will ultimately show up for, what I expect to be, one of the last few summer-like days of the year.

There are less than two weeks left in my state handicap posting season. My official index is 7.3. Some of my best rounds have been when I play alone, so they cannot be posted according to the USGA. Of course, on the other hand, some of my worst rounds have been when I play alone, so can't post them either. I guess it all averages out. Today's round will not be played alone, so whatever it is, I can post it. My goal is to keep the index at 7.9 or lower before the season closes so I can at least enjoy the next 4 months of having a 7.X cap, without having to worry about maintaining it all winter. It is the first year in my golfing life that I started the season and ended the season with an official index of 7.9 or lower. When I started playing the game seriously, 13 or 14 years ago, I made of goal of becoming a 7 handicap. I am almost there, but time is running out. I ain't getting any younger.

Why does this post fit into this thread? Because I am starting to realize that I am in the Autumn of my golfing life. Time is running out. Maybe not on playing golf in general, but playing at this level. Will it be any fun when I can no longer maintain a single-digit cap? Probably not AS satisfying. The time is now to play my best, because my best will likely not be that good for much longer. I wonder what might have been if I only had two good working shoulders....and 10 more years of a reasonably strong body.

I have a feeling I am not the only one feeling this on this site, but I am not naming names.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:12 am

Oh boo hoo. Plenty of us find a way to enjoy golf while sucking and/or not being a mid single digit cap. Jesus Christ. I've been sucking for the last 5-6 years, you don't see me having existential crisis over it.
The human race is just a chemical scum on a moderate-sized planet, orbiting around a very average star in the outer suburb of one among a hundred billion galaxies

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:22 am

Anyways, let's live in the now why don't we. Doug, how are the turf conditions down there? As I said, ours is not even close to dormant winter stage. AND the management lets it grow very thick. AND we seem to be at or near peak leaf season.

I wonder why the management, in the interest of you know, business, doesn't trim the rough and relax the course a little bit to compensate for the difficult nature conditions. After all this course is often spoken of as the 'busiest public in North America' and what not. Really have a hard time understanding what seems like a willful mediocrity in doing business. I know pace of play is a tricky issue but these are instances where it could easily be mitigated. Instead we have everyone walking in circles stooped over searching for balls that trickled into the rough. This is not Bethpage Black, this is a frickin 118 sloper, there is no reputation to uphold.

DougE

Post by DougE » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:32 am

Same conditions here. Low sunlight and long thick rough makes finding perfectly well hit shots often difficult. I'm actually a little annoyed at the superintendent right now. I walked nine to practice a few ideas late yesterday afternoon. I was trying alternate club choices on various shots and must have lost 4 or 5 balls on well hit shots. I know where they were, approximately, but for the life of me couldn't find them. I will admit I gave up easily. They weren't good Pro Vs and I wasn't in the mood to walk all around looking, as I was already walking enough to begin with.

Greens are fast, rough is thick, temps have been down (until today), sun is low and wind's been blowing. Tough conditions.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:00 am

Daylight Losing Time

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Post by bkuehn1952 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:26 am

Dark at 5:30pm here and eventually 5:00, on those rare days when we even have sun. Puts a damper on late afternoon rounds. We have had constant wetness since the end of September. Every course is like a sponge. Sigh. Now we are going to get freezing temps at night. The end is near.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:41 pm

bkuehn1952 wrote:The end is near.
Indeed. At least we have the flicker of the electronic messageboard to console us in the darkness. What I wonder about, is how the people coped in pre-internet eras. Books? Alcohol? You probably would have to time to time check in via telephone with your golf buddies, just to see if people are still living and whatever. Ha ha. Remember calling people? Someone would answer, so you're like "Ah hello, is so-and-so home? Oh really? Let them know the Beefster called, etc" I complain a lot, but there is much to be thankful for, being alive in this era.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:26 pm

Over the weekend I was setting the clock on the stove back an hour, and it prompted me to set the "AM/PM". There is no alarm on this clock, thus no use for "AM/PM". Someone didn't think the design through. Jesus. This is why the likes of General Electric are getting killed by their eastern counterparts. Why would anyone need the stove clock to tell them if it's day or night? If you are in a situation where you can't tell whether it's 6 AM or 6 PM, and you need to consult the stove clock for that information, then something has gone catastrophically wrong, in your world.

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:47 pm

I bet 40% of Americans couldn't tell you if they have their lunch break at 12am or 12pm

That exception withstanding, I would agree.
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

MattF

Post by MattF » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:46 am

Maybe it's a GE thing, our Kenmore doesn't seem to care.
Throw me another ball will ya!

jattruia

Post by jattruia » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:43 am

Any chance it's just a standard part that is pre-assembled and used in various products? Probably make financial sense to just use what they have instead of making a special non-am/pm version.

DougE

Post by DougE » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:10 pm

Went to the range before my round yesterday. I finished up my range session with a couple short chip and pitch shots, then pulled my driver back out to re-loosen up before heading to the tee. I went to make some flat baseball-type swings and accidentally caught the shaft on a cast iron rod that was stuck in the ground behind me, which I had been using earlier while doing a path drill. Totally forgot I left it there. Driver shaft--a new Diamana Dialead S+ 60 Blueboard (2017 model)---blew apart. Broke completely in half. :o Head went one way, shaft that was still in my hands went the other. :bawl

Stupid, stupid, stupid! :fk

Totally forgot I had left that cast iron rod stuck in the ground. It was one of those rods you lean your clubs against on the range, but I had re-purposed it for a few minutes earlier while doing the drill. Then, inadvertently, I re-purposed it again......as a shaft exploder.

Today I am trying to save the brand new grip I had just put on the shaft last week, without damaging it. Since the shaft is broken, using compressed air to remove it isn't really a viable option. I tried to make the bottom of the shaft air-tight, but that is not as easy as you might think. I hack-sawed above the broken section so I could get a clean area to try to make it airtight with a plug and some ductape, but it is not ideal. I did get it part way off with the compressed air, but need another tool, which I hope to pick up later.

I also tried to save the Titleist Sure-Fit adapter, which I think I got off with no damage. Now I am trying my damndest to find a replacement Diamana 60 S+ Blue stiff flex shaft. I want the exact same model I broke, which was released by Mitsubishi in 2017. I have an older version of that shaft in my previous 915D2 driver and also have an Aldila Rogue Black 60 R flex, which happened to be rolling around in the back of my truck, so is what I ended up sticking in the driver head yesterday to use after my debacle. I hated the feel of it in the 917D2, so only used driver on the par 5s and a couple longer par 4s. I used my 3W off the remainder of par 4 holes.

Now I'm scrambling to find a new Diamana Blue with an OEM Titleist Sure-Fit adapter installed on it...at a price I can afford. I can buy a pulled shaft and put the adapter I pulled off the broken shaft on it, but buying a used/pulled-shaft online is risky. You never know what kind of condition the tip might be in. If it was overheated to make the pull, the structural integrity may be compromised. But the best price I can find on a new 2017 version is around $140 with the Titleist adapter, about 50% off the list price. I can buy a pulled-shaft that looks pretty good in the pics online for about $60. Without being able to inspect the tip in person though, it's a gamble.

So, since this is the Autumn Support Group thread, don't call me an idiot. I did enough of that myself yesterday. :facepalm

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:50 pm

You're gonna be okay, Doug.

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:20 pm

So I wish my driver had a shattered shaft. It would give me a valid reason of why I can't hit it.

I have a tournament on Nov 18th and 19th and am considering just snapping it in 2 before hand to remove the urge to pull it from my bag either round. Good thing I got my 3w shaft in the mail. At least I'm able to hit that club again.
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

MattF

Post by MattF » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:44 am

Breathe Doug, in through the nose, out through the mouth.
Throw me another ball will ya!

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Post by bkuehn1952 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:56 am

The last month where I did not play at least one round of golf in Michigan was February, 2015. Considering our weather, 33 straight months is fairly amazing. The recent trend has been decidedly cool and our predicted high temperature Friday is 30 degrees (f). Rain and cool temperatures has been the story since the start of October.

I played yesterday, if one could characterize what I was doing as "playing golf." Drove the ball decently but the soggy, aerated turf left me struggling on the approach shots. Adding to my misery, I seem to have acquired a twitch in my swing that results in topped fairway woods. In some ways, I look forward to the coming arrival of snow as it will give me a reason to put the sticks in the basement.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:29 pm

DougE wrote:Went to the range before my round yesterday. I finished up my range session with a couple short chip and pitch shots, then pulled my driver back out to re-loosen up before heading to the tee. I went to make some flat baseball-type swings and accidentally caught the shaft on a cast iron rod that was stuck in the ground behind me, which I had been using earlier while doing a path drill. Totally forgot I left it there. Driver shaft--a new Diamana Dialead S+ 60 Blueboard (2017 model)---blew apart. Broke completely in half. :o Head went one way, shaft that was still in my hands went the other. :bawl
One of my buddies has broken his driver shaft 3 times and has sent it back to Ping each time and they have fixed it for free. Don't think he was as much the blame as you though as the worst he has ever down is hit the ground (acccidently) behind the ball.

DougE

Post by DougE » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:43 pm

I didn't even consider trying to see if Titleist would replace it. It was 100% my fault.

I found a used one (which is supposedly in absolutely new condition, without a scratch or nick on it) in Arizona at a club pro shop for 80 bucks, with the Titleist Sure-fit adapter already in place. It's +1", but I need to replace the grip with the model I use anyway, so will just cut it down to the correct length for me when I take the existing grip off. I am expecting it to arrive by Monday. In the meantime I have started to figure out the Aldila Rogue Black shaft I installed in the pinch. Even so, the second the Diamana arrives (assuming it is as advertised) it is going in the 917D2 head and the Rogue will go back to the bench.

DougE

Post by DougE » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:55 pm

Oh man it's cold. I am not ready for this. Didn't even consider playing yesterday. Mid 30s and 10-15 mph wind. We had a hard freeze overnight. 20 degrees. That's freakin' winter! Today was a touch better. Got to 39* with 10 mph. Not interested in playing though, considering that there were more cars in the parking lot than would be expected for those conditions. I'll play in 39, sunny and no wind, during the week when no one else is out there, but not today. Maybe tomorrow. Supposed to get up to 43*. Florida trip can't get here soon enough, although next week is forecast to get up closer to 50 degrees. If so, I hope to play a couple/few more times before FL. Forecast there is for 70s-80s. Seems like those were the temps here in Maryland just a week or so ago.

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:15 pm

I just sliced the top of my left thumb off, chopping salad. I have a flat spot now and it did hurt like hell: it's a bit better now, a day later, but I don't think I can hold a club. Bummer!
I'm gonna go low this time...

DougE

Post by DougE » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:19 pm

I did that once. Went to the hospital with the sliced off piece in a plastic bag with ice. They laughed at me. Played golf a few days later, albeit all bandaged up. Surprisingly, it all grew back in a few weeks.

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:29 pm

DougE wrote:I did that once. Went to the hospital with the sliced off piece in a plastic bag with ice. They laughed at me. Played golf a few days later, albeit all bandaged up. Surprisingly, it all grew back in a few weeks.
Yeah, I looked at the chopped off piece and my wife said: "should we try to re-attach it?", and I replied: it'll never grow back, just like a thin divot in a fairway. Just bandage it tight and let's see if it can stop bleeding before deciding to head to the hospital..." :lolz

It will stay bandaged for a while, I feel, but I am happy to learn that it will all grow back! Thanks, Doug. :thumbs (Now I am thinking that the icon man here also has a flat left thumb, ah! :rofl )
I'm gonna go low this time...

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:41 pm

OW :nope

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:00 am

Based upon forecasts yesterday may have been my last NJ round this year. I’m fearing a harsh winter. Ended season with a decent 80 where I struck the ball decently under muddy conditions. Good thing because the previous round was one of those landmark bad swing days and I didn’t want that hanging over me all winter. Hopefully weather will break for another round or two but I’m too busy during the week and daylight hours are short.