17%
Doug
67%

Total votes: 6

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

2nd annual Legitimate Frozen Balls Challenge

Post by jasonfish11 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:09 am

Given that daylight savings time is gone, it's about time to start the 2nd annual Legitimate Frozen Balls Challenge.

This contest will go until the start of daylight savings time on March 11, 2018.

A quick recap of the rules.
- If you played well or happened to play ok in some really terrible weather conditions. Post a short description of your round in this thread. Important factors (you don't have to provide all of them): Score, course rating, your handicap, yardage, weather conditions for the day, and anything else you think will help you win.
- Winter Rules are ok (lift, clean, place in fairway).

On, or shortly after, March 11, 2018 I will start a new thread with a poll and transfer all of the posts from this thread into the poll. Everyone can vote on who they feel had the best winter round. The person with the most votes wins.

Brian (last years winner) will mail you the trophy that you get to keep for the remainder of the year.

Reminder, as the winner you will be responsible for mailing the trophy to next years winner.
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

Coda1850

Re: 2nd annual Legitimate Frozen Balls Challenge

Post by Coda1850 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:46 pm

Played Friday Nov. 24th. Had a 9:30 tee. It was prob high 30s on tee off & bumped up into the 40s as we played the round. Beautiful weather if you ask me. I shot 94 ( & had a birdie ). Handi is about 19 or so & I been playing like a 24 nearly all season. 1st round in about 6 weeks. Thought I played well & had fun. I got the bird on the hole I hated the most on this course. Rating/slope... 68.3/117. Course was set up for just under 6k yrds I'd guess (kinda a winter tee set up).
Low Round: 83, +11 Green Hill - 09/15/14
Low Round: 83, +11 Indian Meadows - 09/12/15

Mark unread?

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:07 pm

Got an unlikely entry. It was actually 30* when we teed off after an hour and a half delay with 20mph northwesterly winds, and shot a 94.
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

DougE

Post by DougE » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:31 pm

srogers13 wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:07 pm
Got an unlikely entry. It was actually 30* when we teed off after an hour and a half delay with 20mph northwesterly winds, and shot a 94.
It's NOT an unlikely entry. Just an unlikely winner. :lolz

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:07 pm

It is an unlikely entry since I am in Hellabama, and they usually do not let us out under 40*
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Post by bkuehn1952 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:57 pm

Hey guys, time for some nominations or self-promotion.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:25 pm

You don't want the trophy?

Ok here is some scrounging I did to find nominees.
bkuehn1952 wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:58 pm
Our snow cover has disappeared and today the temps got up to 49 degrees. My winter "go to" course, Fox Hills, was closed. I needed to do SOMETHING as these days are fairly rare. So off to Huron Hills and their "flat seven". The ground was still extremely firm so hitting a green resulted in an adventure. The driving distance, however, were greatly enhanced.

#1 Hole with the World's slowest twosome. They were on the tee with no one in front of them when I drove up. I got my bag out of the car, put on my shoes, went inside, paid $5.00 and then went back out to get my bag. They were still standing on the tee. I walked over and say on the bench and they finally started meandering down the fairway. I thought, "I got to get ahead of these two" and decided to go around the clubhouse and start on #3. Oops, a twosome was walking to #3 green. So I waited and finished #1 about 20 minutes later. The 2 turtles asked if I wanted to play through. YES!!!!. :yess Off I went.
IMG_2247.JPG

I finished my "7" and thought about going around again but there were 3 foursomes waiting to tee off. So I sat in the sun a bit and then went home. :thumbs

IMG_2248.JPG
legitimatebeef wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:48 pm
Maybe the coldest round of the year. Hovered between 30-36°. I played (and swang) quite well for 15 holes. Could've broke 80 by parring the last three. On the 16th I chunked a pitch, then kept trying to get cute with it and ended up tripling. I was in a flow for much of the round, but that flow started to falter a couple holes earlier anyways. Freeze set in as well and finally my swing which was in peak form until then, started to fade. Lost focus too. Struggled just to bogey the last two and ended on 84. But the front nine was some of the best, most autonomous golf I've ever played. I'm still sour over the end but for most of the round I felt control like I've never felt before. Still need some time to process.
DougE wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:22 pm
Played today, but when we got there we were surprised at how much wind there was (which was not forecast). At least 15 mph at noon. While on the range we were hitting directly into it with frozen range balls from overnight. Felt at least like a two-club wind. It had only gotten up to the high 30s by that time. So I half-kidding said to my regular playing partner that we might want to consider playing the white tees today, and before I could barely get the comment out of my mouth, he said YES, lets! No discussion, nothing. Just "Great idea!" So, we played the whites. First time all winter.

By the 5th or 6th hole, the temps got into the 40s and the wind dropped to 10ish. So on a few holes we played the blues, but mostly played the whites. I actually didn't enjoy it from those tees all that much. I played okay and shot a 79, but mostly due to playing the shorter tees, not because I played wonderfully. I didn't really expect much after a solid week off. I hit a few more greens than normal from the whites, in spite of the cold and wind. Struggled with the way the greens were. Some seemed much faster or slower than others. Amount of break seemed even less than last week when they were just furry, but not frozen. All were hard as a rock. Couldn't figure out how far to expect the ball to bounce on the frozen greens with my chips and pitches. I kept hitting my planned landing spots, but half the time the ball would check and the other half it would bounce a mile.

Had a lot of trouble getting a tee in the ground. Tee boxes were frozen hard about a 1/2 inch below the surface. We spent so much time just trying to get the tee in the ground, when we would stand back up we'd have to wait a bit for the blood to flow back down from our head! Got dizzy a few times. I expect it will thaw some more by my tee time tomorrow, but I am bringing a hammer and nail, just in case.
California cold.
sjduffers wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:56 pm
DougE wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:20 am
51 is balmy. You don't need luck, SJD. (At least not for playing in 51 degree temps. Your game in general might, so, good luck, I guess.)
The temp never went above 53, but the wind was pretty strong at 15-20mph, and it felt cold. I mean I had to have an extra layer, besides my polo shirt. :facepalm Anyway, I shot a decent 79 and had some of the longest drives I ever had on that course, despite the cold... so maybe it wasn't that cold! :gay :rofl
Nominee for attempted golf:
legitimatebeef wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:23 pm
Denied. There is no snow in Manhattan so I assumed there would be none in Staten Island. Wrong. It is a goddamn winter wonderland here. Didn't even bothered walking in, just crossed the street and caught the bus going right back towards home. How pathetic is that. Go to a different part of the same city and find myself in a wholly distinct climate region. Bullcrap. There is no reason why this dump should be a part of New York City. Not one.

And I respect this one, but don't think it's fair for BK to ship the trophy overseas.
JPJ wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:05 pm
I played on Sunday. It was pretty cold at first, but less so when we got in to the valley, but then cold again as we came up the 18th (at which point,
this happened... https://www.instagram.com/p/BfPJShxlZIV ... wn6Sq30k0/)

I scored 107, for 28 Stableford points. Considering I'd not played since November I was pretty pleased with that.

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:38 am

I find it hard to put much support behind sjd's effort. I mean, "the temperature never went above 53 degrees," says it all. Half the golf population in Michigan wears shorts in that weather (not me, however).

If JPJ wins, I will suck it up and send the trophy via Iceland on a tramp steamer. He should receive the award sometime in 2033.

Right now I am leaning toward DougE for his total effort this winter.

I also feel for Beef's problem on Staten Island. I spent a sunny 40 degree February Sunday searching for an open course only to crawl home with my tail between my legs.
Let's Play 36

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:15 am

It looks like it will be a run off between Beef and Doug (maybe JPJ).

Unless other nominees are put in here this week.

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:49 am

I have to say I enjoy DougE's wintertime drama most of all. He is the boy who cried suckage.
A golfball wizard's
got such a supple wrist-cock

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:52 am

bkuehn1952 wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:38 am
I also feel for Beef's problem on Staten Island. I spent a sunny 40 degree February Sunday searching for an open course only to crawl home with my tail between my legs.
Full disclosure, mine was only somewhat pathetic. I actually really enjoyed the bike ride home that day. So the memory of it is far more gay than sad.
A golfball wizard's

DougE

Post by DougE » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:52 am

I vote Beef

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:58 am

Let's face it, nobody wants this piece of junk!
A golfball wizard's

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:59 am

I live in a 750 square foot apartment. I cannot afford to bring in more junk. Having a hard enough time maintaining some kind of livable equilibrium as it is.
A golfball wizard's

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:38 am

I would vote Beef for his unwavering commitment to play golf in the worst area for golf in the whole country, including in tough wintery conditions, but since he does not want the trophy, it would have to go to Doug, also as hardcore at golf as anyone else on this site!

PS: My entry was in jest in case you didn't notice... I can't picture myself out on the links in the 30s or 40s, especially with any kind of wind, or rain/sleet. I think 45F with somewhat light wind is my limit. I did it once in 15 mph wind and I used those activated charcoal hand warmers to get me through. I must be a California wimp! :wah :lolz
I'm gonna go low this time...

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:40 am

sjduffers wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:38 am
I would vote Beef for his unwavering commitment to play golf in the worst area for golf in the whole country, including in tough wintery conditions
Thanks man. I think most of us would do the same though. I'd call it addiction before I'd call it commitment.
A golfball wizard's

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:24 pm

Here is my official nomination:

https://clubsg.skygolf.com/golfers/scor ... Selector=0

Winter runs from around December 21 until March 20. DougE's most recent round included 3 birdies, 11 GIR's, 33 putts (so it was not the hot putter that got him to the barn). It was 45 degrees with a 10-15 mph breeze. Not frigid but pretty damn cold on exposed skin. Plus my guess is the course was wet.

77 is a nice score in July. Doug may carp about the tees being up and all that but this was a sterling round.

Everyone has about two weeks to top this. Go play!
Let's Play 36

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:39 pm

Added poll question.

1 week deadline.

DougE

Post by DougE » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:34 pm

I had a great round last Sunday. 76 in about 47 degrees (almost balmy by recent standards). But I voted for BK. I'd hate to see him spend the money to send it.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:20 pm

Looks like Doug is the winner.

Enjoy the trophy.

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:46 am

I am ready to ship the award as soon as DougE replies to my PM.

Well done!
Let's Play 36