Winter Golf: tips and tricks

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Winter Golf: tips and tricks

Post by legitimatebeef » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:27 pm

If you ask me, winter time is the best time. To play golf that is. (For day to day living let's face it, winter kind of sucks ass)

Doug's post from another thread, regarding dry and cracked hands inspired me to start this one. Even if my ability to get a ball into a hole sucks, I feel I am pretty good at keeping warm and comfortable during winter golf. Probably better than you at least :fkno

Regarding the hands, I have taken to applying a thick coating of "aloe vera" gel before every cold weather round. I've tried this with various lotions and balms over the years but never quite to satisfactory effect. Either the substance is too thick or greasy or else fails to provide any substantial barrier. The aloe vera dries pretty quick without leaving any oily residue. It does impart a slightly weird, coating sensation that I am guessing most people will not care for. I am used to the feel by now (I use the stuff regularly anyways) and appreciate how it seems to act as a barrier, both to protect against harshness of the elements, and to retain some of the skin's existing moisture. (Personally I hate dry hands, they infuriate me. I only use fancy "shea-butter" hand soap at home, and wouldn't ever wash a single dish without fully gloving up.)

Another practice I have adopted lately is to spike my hot tea flask with some sort of fat-heavy liquid be it virgin coconut oil, canned coconut milk or else just plain old heavy dairy cream. Nutrition and refueling are essential to any kind of sports performing, but I have found that munching on snacks is generally a pain in the butt anytime the mercury gets below 50 or so. Food gets cold and hard and you don't want to eat it. So typically, one doesn't. Despite that you're burning more calories than you do playing golf at any other time of the year. Naturally performance suffers. Nobody ever blames their nutrition though. No it's always the other factors that made my score blow up. Wahh, I can't feel my hands. Wahh, the ball's not going as far. Wahh, I can't swing with all these layers. Okay, all that stuff does make golf harder. But it's also mostly irrelevant if you don't bother to prepare yo' self. Like the great Lauryn Hill once sang, "How you gon' win if you ain't right within?" Anyways it's been working well for me. I always love to sip hot tea in the cold outdoors, but now it's even more comforting knowing that I am getting some good sustenance along with it. (coincidentally I also believe that increasing the fat in your diet can also help with skin dryness and what not)
vamos a jugar por la playa

DougE

Re: Winter Golf: tips and tricks

Post by DougE » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:39 am

Let's see, winter tips/tricks, hmmm, what do I have in my bag?

:school

1) Most of you have heard my trick of heating the balls up and keeping them wrapped in foil and stored in the thermal pocket of your golf bag. Hitting warm balls off the first few tees can help get you off to a good start. (Don't overcook them like I did last time by accident. Melted a bunch of good, nearly new balls and could have burned the house down if I didn't notice them when I did!)

2) Wear cart mittens in between shots and keep a ball in each hand, inside each mitten to help keep it warm as you walk or ride to the next shot. If you aren't concerned about breaking any rules (which you shouldn't be since it is out of season), you can throw a small hand-warmer packet in each mitten as well.

3) I wear compression tights/pants by UA or Nike under my golf pants when it gets down in the 30s-low 40s. Most of my golf pants are all lightweight tech material for playing in warmer conditions, but with the compression tights under them, I am plenty warm. And they are much more comfortable than long johns. I do have a couple pairs of regular cotton/cotton blend twill type generic pants, which are a bit heavier weight, that I will play in from time to time, but frankly, I don't like the plain, old-man look of them on the golf course. They look more like casual-Friday work pants in my mind. But, I'm somewhat of a fashion hound. Albeit, an old one.

4) Since it's out of season, replace cold balls with warm ones whenever and wherever you feel like doing so.
I like to play the ball as it lies even out of season, just for the experience of hitting from all sorts of lies and trying to figure out what the best way to approach a particular tough lie might be. So, if I replace a cold ball with a warmer one anywhere other than the tee, I will try to duplicate the lie. One of my regular playing partners has a tendency to roll his ball to the perfect lie no matter where he finds it, fairway, rough, bunker, etc. As long as we aren't playing for anything, I say, to each his own. However, when he tells me he shot an 81, and I shot an 82, I make sure he knows that his is a fantasy 81 and mine is a hard fought, honest 82, probably 5 or 6 strokes better than his 81. But I do it in a "nice" way.)

5) Swing easier. (Not slower, easier.) Smooth through the ball and finish. People tend to try to hit harder at the ball instead of smoother through the ball in cold conditions. This makes a difference no matter what the temps are outside, but the distance loss in winter is even worse in cold, plus, swinging at it is more likely to cause a bigger slice, losing you even more yards.

6) Store your clubs indoors, in the heated part of the house. It may seem like it wouldn't make a difference with irons and metals, but warmer clubs seem to absorb shock a little better. Whether that is true or not, I don't know, but in my mind, I'd rather be swinging a warmer club, given the choice.

7) Winter's empty courses are a great time for ball hawking. No one behind you, dormant cabbage and wetland grasses all the way into the woods, no snakes. :o

8) Under 32 degrees, stay home and hit chip shots in the living room.

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:18 am

Oh man I'm going to be using all of them (that are legal) this weekend.

I have the 2nd tournament this Sunday.

AM temp is around 29*
Mid day high 42*
Winds 10-20 mph

Looks like it will be a rough day.
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:28 am

DougE wrote: 3) I wear compression tights/pants by UA or Nike under my golf pants when it gets down in the 30s-low 40s. Most of my golf pants are all lightweight tech material for playing in warmer conditions, but with the compression tights under them, I am plenty warm. And they are much more comfortable than long johns. I do have a couple pairs of regular cotton/cotton blend twill type generic pants, which are a bit heavier weight, that I will play in from time to time, but frankly, I don't like the plain, old-man look of them on the golf course. They look more like casual-Friday work pants in my mind. But, I'm somewhat of a fashion hound. Albeit, an old one.
I rejected the heavy cotton pant a while ago. I have some flannel lined chinos but the weight/bulk to effectiveness ratio is just not good enough. Do you ever wear rain pants as an outer layer? I'll wear regular microfiber golf pants over the tights if it's moderately cold, but when it gets extreme I go to the rain pant: more room for layering, more mobility and of course the windproofing. Style is maybe not the greatest but I love the comfort, very cozy.
vamos a jugar por la playa

DougE

Post by DougE » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:42 am

Rarely wear my FJ rainpants unless it's raining (or was raining and I just hadn't gotten around to taking them off). My legs never seem to get cold like my core does in cold weather, as long as I have my compression tights on. However, I do wear my FJ rain jackets and/or rainshirts as everyday golf wear, not just rainy times. They are quite stylish, as well as very functional from a wind blocking perspective. I have a few different styles, both long sleeves and short. Actually, that's one I'm wearing in my avatar pic....on a sunny day.