What are you getting/did you get for Christmas

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

What are you getting/did you get for Christmas

Post by jasonfish11 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:05 am

So does anyone know what they are getting this year?

My wife and I share an Amazon account so I saw what she got for me this year.

A hitting mat and net that I put on the "wish list."

My indoor driving range is starting to take form.
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Re: What are you getting/did you get for Christmas

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:15 am

jasonfish11 wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:05 am
So does anyone know what they are getting this year?

My wife and I share an Amazon account so I saw what she got for me this year.

A hitting mat and net that I put on the "wish list."
Wow, sounds just like the plot of an O'Henry short story :nope
A golfball wizard's
got such a supple wrist-cock

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:26 am

legitimatebeef wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:15 am

Wow, sounds just like the plot of an O'Henry short story :nope
Thanks I worked hard on that plot twist.

DougE

Post by DougE » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:51 pm

I don't know what I'm getting, but I did review a whole list of golf stuff with my wife as potential gift ideas. Everything from a package of 1 1/2" Evolution Pride Professional Plastic Tees for $6.99, all the way up to a new Bushnell Pro X2 rangefinder for $450 to replace my Bushnell Tour V2. There are a bunch of new clubs I have my sights set on for 2018, but I didn't want her to even consider buying me any clubs, without me first getting fit, at which time I would special order. She did, however, give me a birthday check last week (my birthday was in September) for 100 bucks, which is being used towards one of two new Vokey SM7 wedges I'm planning to get as soon as they are released in February or March. My SM6 54 and 58 are both pretty worn out. Not surprising when you consider they get more use than any other clubs in my bag when you add in practice time too. I figure I have about 350 rounds of golf on the SM6s, as well as another couple hundred practice days, since I got them in 2016. It's time. New wedges are at the top of my clubs-needed/wanted list.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:15 pm

Getting a Bushnell rangefinder for my 2nd golf bag, at least that's what I ordered for my wife to give to me.

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:39 pm

A little more free time.

MattF

Post by MattF » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:47 am

I'm hoping after two years of her asking me what I want and me replying golf shoes she finally gets me a pair.
Throw me another ball will ya!

DougE

Post by DougE » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:03 am

MattF wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:47 am
I'm hoping after two years of her asking me what I want and me replying golf shoes she finally gets me a pair.
Might I suggest some top-quality FootJoys? ;)

MattF

Post by MattF » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:19 pm

DougE wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:03 am
MattF wrote:
I'm going with Sketchers mate. Like walking on clouds.

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:07 pm

MattF wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:19 pm
DougE wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:03 am
MattF wrote:
I'm going with Sketchers mate. Like walking on clouds.
Doug, gotta do a better sales job than that. Need more specifics. :clap:
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

DougE

Post by DougE » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:34 pm

srogers13 wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:07 pm

Doug, gotta do a better sales job than that. Need more specifics. :clap:
That's the extent of my pushiness on this site. And I haven't started "assisting" yet on the FJ site. So I have no sales script.

If you don't already know FootJoys are the best and driest shoes you can buy, that's not my problem. They don't really have competition. Who else offers a two-year guarantee? Tell me another brand of golf shoe you can wear over 500 rounds and still not leak a drop in driving rain. Yeah, I suppose if you like to play in sneakers, there are other brands out there which offer that casual look and feel (as FJ also does), but if you want a golf shoe that is going to stand up to rigors of hundreds of rounds in all types of conditions, there is only one brand who stands at the top. It ain't Adidas, it ain't Echo, it ain't UA, and it ain't True Linkswear, Nike, Puma or Sketchers. FootJoy isn't for many of today's golfers, but if you are a traditionalist, they offer classic golf shoe looks of which none of the others even come close, with soft leather uppers so comfortable they feel great right out of the box.

I'm not really trying to sell anything here. Buy what you want. If it's not a FJ, that's okay. Just don't be surprised when they can no longer do the job they were meant to do. I know it will be very long before a FootJoy fails, if ever. I have worn FootJoy on the golf course, and only Footjoy, since I was 12 years old when I was introduced to the game. 50 years. No reason to even think of changing. If it ain't broke, as they say,.....

FJ does not pay Tour pros to wear FootJoy shoes, except for a small group. Most Tour pros that wear FootJoy choose to do so on their own. 65% or more wear FJ. That in itself speaks volumns. The remaining 35% are made up of the rest of the brands, and most who wear those brands ARE getting paid to wear them. Matt Kuchar is wearing Sketchers, but not solely by choice. He has a pretty big endorsement contract with them. They may be very comfortable shoes. They may be quite stylish shoes. They may even be well-made shoes. But, after 300 rounds they aren't going to be waterproof shoes, nor offer much support. That's just my opinion, not fact. I just know the experience I have had with FootJoy shoes over the last 50 years is enough to make me say they are as good as you can buy.

jev

Post by jev » Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:38 am

DougE wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:34 pm
If you don't already know FootJoys are the best and driest shoes you can buy, that's not my problem. They don't really have competition. Who else offers a two-year guarantee? Tell me another brand of golf shoe you can wear over 500 rounds and still not leak a drop in driving rain.
Even though I really enjoy my FJ Contour's they are *not* rainproof. Sorry, they just aren't.
90% of the game is mental, the other half is all in your head (Yogi)

MattF

Post by MattF » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:58 am

Now that's a sales pitch Doug!

DougE

Post by DougE » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:28 am

Yes, I should have been more specific. FootJoy DryJoys Tour shoes are waterproof. I have about 4 pairs of them right now, in addition to 3 pairs of FJ Sports, a better quality, somewhat sportier shoe. Lesser expensive FJ shoes, like Contours and some of the more casual styles do not have a 2-year waterproof guarantee. Contours are similar in quality to more expensive styles from other companies, yet at a very reasonable price.

Contours are very comfortable (assuming they still feel like they did when I owned a few pairs back in the 90s). New Contours actually do have a waterproof guarantee. In fact virtually all FootJoy shoes have a waterproof guarantee, though most of the lower-end shoes like Contour, as well as their sneaker/casual styles have only 1-year guarantees (excluding their sandal styles). Their better shoes, like the DryJoys Tour, have 2-year guarantees. In fact, a lot of companies offer some sort of waterproof guarantee on their more expensive models. I don't know if any of them offer guarantees on their lower-end models. Callaway and Adidas make some golf shoes with waterproof guarantees at the higher end of their lines. Adidas's top line shoe at $200 has a 2-year waterproof assurance. I can't say if either brand will hold up as well as FJs though. I don't wear them so have no experience with them. I can only rave about FootJoys, 'cause that's what I know, for 50 years.

I play a lot of golf in my various pairs of FootJoy DryJoys Tour shoes. Probably over 1000 rounds and another 500 practice days since I started wearing a DryJoys Tour model 7 or 8 years ago. I play in the rain, walked through puddles/casual water and have even stepped an inch or so into the edge of a pond a time or two to make a shot. I have never felt a drop of water get in, unless it was over the top of the shoe (when I stepped in too deep). Granted, I have many pairs, but they all get a workout, with one pair in particular getting the bulk of my play. (It goes with the most outfits!) They do not leak and are extremely comfortable, even after the excessive play they have seen. Since I continually update my DryJoys with new models, the older ones, whose 2-year guarantee is over, get relegated to sloppy weather shoes. Still haven't felt a drop through any of them, even though their guarantee has long expired.

I am curious as to how old your Contours are. If less than a year, they are guaranteed.

bryan k

Post by bryan k » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:33 pm

I typically (always?) wear the Countour series. I also typically rotate out at least two pairs because my feet sweat.

Seriously, though, I have cycled through quite a few pairs of FootJoys over the years including the Dry Joys. My experience is that the Contour Series is more comfortable *and* is more waterproof.

I have never been able to get in a full two years (or 500 rounds) out of a pair, though. I pretty much just accept the fact that they start to fall apart and leak as they approach 300 rounds, which used to take about a year and a half for me. I have also owned golf shoes made my Nike, Callaway, Crocs, and a few others, and they most certainly don't last a whole season let alone a year and a half.

Of course, it drives my sister crazy when I tell her I've been walking in the same pair of golf shoes for a year and a half.

EDIT: I needed to edit to add that I did buy one pair (Contour Series) that fell apart within a couple of weeks after buying them. The sole separated from the shoe. They were practically new, and when I went back to the golf shop where I bought them, they exchanged them for a slightly more expensive pair with no questions asked.

jev

Post by jev » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:14 pm

DougE wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:28 am
I am curious as to how old your Contours are. If less than a year, they are guaranteed.
The current pair didn't see much action really, there was too much else going on this year. The pair before that didn't last 2 years at all. The leather ripped at the outside of the shoe after a year of use (I guestimate I put some 500 miles on 'm). Brought them back to the shop, swapped them for the current pair. Shop's owner told me he had several customers return prematurely worn down pairs, most showing similar problems.

I put up with the quality problems since they really are the most comfy shoes I could find. I easily get blisters on toes and heels but the contours are okay after a couple of rounds.
90% of the game is mental, the other half is all in your head (Yogi)

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:10 pm

Merry Christmas. I'm quarantined to the garage until I can prove the net will stop EVERYTHING.

Then it's moving up to the room over the garage which will allow me to hit driver.
Attachments
IMG_20171225_120856.jpg
IMG_20171225_120856.jpg (2.59 MiB) Viewed 1687 times

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Post by legitimatebeef » Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:52 pm

Happy for you man, hope your beta testing is successful. Next logical step

SIMULATOR

:school
A golfball wizard's
got such a supple wrist-cock

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:19 am

Nice, Fish!!
I'm gonna hit a provisional
HCP Index :facepalm

MattF

Post by MattF » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:41 am

Nice Fish. Well, I finally cracked it for a new pair of shoes...the in-laws came through for me. Sketchers GoGolf Drive 2 LX in Charcoal.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:44 am

legitimatebeef wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:52 pm
Happy for you man, hope your beta testing is successful. Next logical step

SIMULATOR

:school
April bonus check is going to a skytraks

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:13 am

DougE wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:28 am
Yes, I should have been more specific. FootJoy DryJoys Tour shoes are waterproof. I have about 4 pairs of them right now, in addition to 3 pairs of FJ Sports, a better quality, somewhat sportier shoe. Lesser expensive FJ shoes, like Contours and some of the more casual styles do not have a 2-year waterproof guarantee. Contours are similar in quality to more expensive styles from other companies, yet at a very reasonable price.

I play a lot of golf in my various pairs of FootJoy DryJoys Tour shoes. Probably over 1000 rounds and another 500 practice days since I started wearing a DryJoys Tour model 7 or 8 years ago. I play in the rain, walked through puddles/casual water and have even stepped an inch or so into the edge of a pond a time or two to make a shot. I have never felt a drop of water get in, unless it was over the top of the shoe (when I stepped in too deep). Granted, I have many pairs, but they all get a workout, with one pair in particular getting the bulk of my play. (It goes with the most outfits!) They do not leak and are extremely comfortable, even after the excessive play they have seen. Since I continually update my DryJoys with new models, the older ones, whose 2-year guarantee is over, get relegated to sloppy weather shoes. Still haven't felt a drop through any of them, even though their guarantee has long expired.
+10 for the DryJoys. I've owned 3 prior pairs of golf shoes. Adidas, Ecco Street Premieres and TRUE Linkswear. All of them leaked, and when I mean leak, I mean, I live in arid, dry as a bone Southern California. My socks would get squishy just walking around in wet morning grass. Maybe I just had 3 pairs of crap shoes, but the DryJoys (I have the DryJoy Casuals, not the Tour) have kept my feet insulated from any and all moisture. Plus they're the right blend of comfort and stability. I doubt I'll ever buy another type of shoe.

DougE

Post by DougE » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:21 am

Though I certainly did not expect one, I threw the new model Bushnell Tour V4 Shift or Pro X2 rangefinder on my list just in case my wife was feeling really generous.

Evidently, that feeling never came over her. :nope

jattruia

Post by jattruia » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:23 pm

So my in-laws always get me a dozen pro v's plus some smaller stuff each Christmas. So, i was pretty happy to see the expected dozen appeared to be coming my way again, however when i opened them this time, it was the green AVX box. They live in Florida, so the sales guy was able to convince them that for an avid golfer, these were the ones to get.

I can't wait to try them out, but definitely going to wait until at least spring so i can get some warmer weather and get my game back in shape. I still have 4 dozen K-Sigs ready to go so i have no shortage of golf balls to get the season started with.

DougE

Post by DougE » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:23 pm

The AVXs are fantastic. I got a dozen in FL when I was there in November the day before I left and never got a chance to try them in any warmth.

I was pleasantly surprised when I first tried them here in Maryland, and I did so in much cooler weather in December. Noticed an immediate different feel off the driver, as well as a more boring ball flight, which I also liked a lot. Seemed like my distance was also better off the tee, and with irons too, yet still great spin around the greens. The feel off irons is super sweet.

I'd estimate I was getting like 5-10 yards more, at least, off the driver when hit squarely. I have been surprised at the distance on some iron approach shots with the AVX, even though I was not calculating extra yardage for the cold. I lost my first (and, so far, only) one on a 160-yard uphill shot, which I was estimating to play about 170 with the wind. It was 45-50 degrees outside. I usually hit my 6 iron about 160-165 in normal temps when there is no upslope and on this hole I did not want to be long. Well, I hit this one about 170, into some cabbage just left and long of the green and never found it. I got better than expected distance, even in the cold, but it cost me as a result.

I really like the boring flight I seem to get with it and have had some great results with it in the wind. Looking forward to trying it further when it's 70+ degrees. Actually, right now, I'd be happy to see 45 degrees, but I'll save my AVXs for a bit warmer days. Well, maybe I'll play one or two more until I lose them. I have greatly enjoyed playing them in cold so I suppose I can sacrifice a couple. I got the high-optic yellow version, which in the dormant winter browns, really stand out. These are definitely on a par with my Pro V1s. I might be torn come springtime. I have about 6 dozen new ProVs, still boxed, which I know and love, but so far, the new AVX has been pretty impressive to me.

I hope they drop the price a little. They ain't cheap! A buck or two more than ProVs. If they can price them below ProVs, without cannibalizing the Vs too much, these will sell. A Tour-level, proprietary urethane-coated, 3-piece ball, available in high-optic yellow, from the number 1 golf ball manufacturer in golf, for somewhere around the cost of the highly-touted TM TP5s and I think it's a winner. Titleist may have other ideas. It is being test marketed with some sort of plan in mind, but at this point, that still has not become clear. They usually have a pretty good idea how to make a great golf ball and market it perfectly. We shall see.