2018 Winter Season Support Group

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Re: 2018 Winter Season Support Group

Post by jasonfish11 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:02 pm

In that price range it's likely a real feel (country club elite) mat. But they look a little different now unless the edges of that one are worn down from use.
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:22 pm

I found out why the one course may be open tomorrow, they did overseed the greens. As long as there is not frost and the temps do not go below freezing, we may get out tomorrow even though the high will be lucky to get to 40. But after that, the facility is basically going to be closed until next Saturday, if not Sunday.
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

DougE

Post by DougE » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:29 pm

jasonfish11 wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:02 pm
In that price range it's likely a real feel (country club elite) mat. But they look a little different now unless the edges of that one are worn down from use.
Though that name sounds kind of familiar, I can't say for sure whether that is the brand. One thing I can say is nothing about this mat looks worn. The surface has taken tens of thousands of iron strikes with contact after the ball and you can not see one bit of wear on the surface. And, I definitely hit down on the ball and take a divot on virtually all iron shots. Whatever it is made of, it is bullet proof. The picture I posted earlier of the whole mat is from a few years ago, taken in my shop, but even at that time it already had tens of thousands of iron strikes on it. Look closely, you will not see any bit of worn area anywhere on the mat. It was definitely worth the money, though I didn't pay for it. My wife bought it for me as a gift. One of the best ever.

DougE

Post by DougE » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:56 pm

Let's see. As of today, 7 days out since I last played golf, in an effort to maintain some level of saneness, I have re-gripped a few clubs that were due, replaced the spikes in 4 pairs of FootJoys, cleaned the leather uppers with special cleaner, treated the leather and cleaned every speck of grass and dirt from the bottoms. I have emptied out all my golf bag pockets and compartments, reassigned certain stuff to different pockets, purged stuff I rarely ever need out of the bags altogether and found a bunch of stuff I forgot was in there. ("Oh, there's my swing speed radar unit!").

I took all my golf pants, shorts and any other golf stuff I keep folded in my closet and threw them all on the bed, folding each meticulously. In doing so, I noticed a few which needed some extra stain removal, so treated them with OxyClean where necessary. I then did a load of laundry for golf towels, Titleist hats (in special mesh washing bags) and those pants and shorts I had treated.

I also went through my most recent hawked ball collection, consisting of the few hundred I found last month, cleaning them all up, picking the best ones out and relegating the others to range buckets. (I save the good ones for sale on Ebay once I have a dozen or two of a specific model.) Obviously any new model Pro Vs in great condition go straight into my playable supply. I also save perfect new-model DT TruSofts. They are pretty nice feeling in the winter.

I hung out in the golf department at Dick's, talking golf for an hour on Friday (when I went to buy spike replacements) and I had been hanging out in my pro shop up until the cold got real bad and they closed the course....along with the gate out front. Now, not only can I not go talk to the guys in the shop since they aren't there, I can't even get in to go walk around the course to ball hawk or map greens, as I like to do when there is no one around. Damn. The world is against me.

I have chipped hundreds of balls in my finished basement since the course closed, but I would pretty much do that anyway, whether the course is open or not. However, I think I chipped even more this past week than normal.

I've about had enough of this forced time off. I have run out of stuff to do, golf related, and have had to resort to other things. I bought a book. A crime novel. I built some shelves. I fixed some things that have been annoying me around the house for months. I've slept more than normal.

This has been a tough week off, with no golf in sight at least for another week, with no guarantees of even that happening. Save me from my pain guys. Please post stuff on LG to help me through next week and beyond. The other place I spend time on line is the Team Titleist site and they pretty much shut down over the weekends because someone there, a TT moderator, has to approve every post. And they don't work weekends or holidays. So I am down to just here. LegitmateGolf. :wah

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:09 pm

Ouch! I feel your pain, Doug. At least you can chip in your basement: that's great!

When I can't play for a week or more (usually due to saturated courses after copious rains, or something wrong with me), I go bonkers too. And this is one reason we live in California and have a second place in Hawaii... This time of the year might be even worse, as there is no golf on the Golf Channel either (just reruns). At least, it starts again next week. Have you read all of the good golf books? It might be time to re-read Five Lessons for the umpteen time...
I'm gonna go low this time...

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Post by legitimatebeef » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:16 pm

DougE wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:56 pm
Let's see. As of today, 7 days out since I last played golf, in an effort to maintain some level of saneness, I have re-gripped a few clubs that were due, replaced the spikes in 4 pairs of FootJoys, cleaned the leather uppers with special cleaner, treated the leather and cleaned every speck of grass and dirt from the bottoms. I have emptied out all my golf bag pockets and compartments, reassigned certain stuff to different pockets, purged stuff I rarely ever need out of the bags altogether and found a bunch of stuff I forgot was in there. ("Oh, there's my swing speed radar unit!").

I took all my golf pants, shorts and any other golf stuff I keep folded in my closet and threw them all on the bed, folding each meticulously. In doing so, I noticed a few which needed some extra stain removal, so treated them with OxyClean where necessary. I then did a load of laundry for golf towels, Titleist hats (in special mesh washing bags) and those pants and shorts I had treated.

I also went through my most recent hawked ball collection, consisting of the few hundred I found last month, cleaning them all up, picking the best ones out and relegating the others to range buckets. (I save the good ones for sale on Ebay once I have a dozen or two of a specific model.) Obviously any new model Pro Vs in great condition go straight into my playable supply. I also save perfect new-model DT TruSofts. They are pretty nice feeling in the winter.

I hung out in the golf department at Dick's, talking golf for an hour on Friday (when I went to buy spike replacements) and I had been hanging out in my pro shop up until the cold got real bad and they closed the course....along with the gate out front. Now, not only can I not go talk to the guys in the shop since they aren't there, I can't even get in to go walk around the course to ball hawk or map greens, as I like to do when there is no one around. Damn. The world is against me.

I have chipped hundreds of balls in my finished basement since the course closed, but I would pretty much do that anyway, whether the course is open or not. However, I think I chipped even more this past week than normal.

I've about had enough of this forced time off. I have run out of stuff to do, golf related, and have had to resort to other things. I bought a book. A crime novel. I built some shelves. I fixed some things that have been annoying me around the house for months. I've slept more than normal.

This has been a tough week off, with no golf in sight at least for another week, with no guarantees of even that happening. Save me from my pain guys. Please post stuff on LG to help me through next week and beyond. The other place I spend time on line is the Team Titleist site and they pretty much shut down over the weekends because someone there, a TT moderator, has to approve every post. And they don't work weekends or holidays. So I am down to just here. LegitmateGolf. :wah
Great story bro. :breaking Sad yet inspirational. Wish I could help you's but I'm probably even worse off. Got absolutely nothin' going on here. I'm still clinging to the long range forecast though, says it's going to warm up after next weekend. :gay
The human race is just a chemical scum on a moderate-sized planet, orbiting around a very average star in the outer suburb of one among a hundred billion galaxies

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:17 pm

Speaking of grips, I need to regrip very soon, I'm all slicked out now. Don't worry Doug, I will post all about it when I do.
The human race is just a chemical scum on a moderate-sized planet, orbiting around a very average star in the outer suburb of one among a hundred billion galaxies

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:13 pm

I've hit a bunch of balls in my garage. If that helps.

I can always make a video add some commentary and post a video for you. But the high temps for 4 consecutive days here are still colder than I have my fridge set at. So I don't have much else for you.

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:55 pm

I got to play today, and got to get out on time, seeing as the temp when we teed off was 41 instead of the forecast 34. Teed off at 8am, finished with my playing partner at just after 11 (even with carts, not a course to play that fast), temp 41 teeing off and 38 when we finished. Heard there were six other people who played. Interesting to see that our irons were about a club and a half shorter than normal. Then went to an establishment to watch the Redskins game, and at 4pm is was downright cold. Saturday is looking real iffy if they will let us out, but Sunday is in play.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:49 am

I see DougE lurking around at 12:48am :thumbs

DougE

Post by DougE » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:53 am

Was just lookin' for a quick fix. Nothin', nada, zip, zilch. Nobody cares. :bored

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:30 am

I was hoping we could get a little live chat going. I wasn't doing jack squat last night. Maybe I will look into adding chat to the board.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:31 am

This is maybe the strongest cold snap I've ever experienced.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:20 am

MattF

Post by MattF » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:47 am

It's 5° at 5.47am. A high today will be about 17° or so...please get me out of here!
Throw me another ball will ya!

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:11 am

Judge6.jpg
Judge6.jpg (58.47 KiB) Viewed 286 times
So this is one of the Par 3 holes on the Judge course yesterday. They iced up the greens to help insulate them.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:55 am

This sucks so bad. One of my co-workers is from Kamchatka about 100-200 miles from the coldest permanently inhabited town in the world.

She walked in today and said she feels like she is back home.

DougE

Post by DougE » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:19 am

Just checked the 10-day forecast for here in Maryland. Not good. This is not what I signed up for when I moved from Connecticut. Stays below freezing all week, until next Monday, when there is a chance of ice pellets. Then, 40 degree high on Tuesday, and back in the 20s-30 Wednesday and Thursday. Who says money can't make you happy? It would allow me to step on my private jet and zoom off to Arizona for a few weeks with my clubs.

I hope the hell you are taking advantage of your AZ location and playing some golf, BryanK (or you guys out in CA, too), while we are all freezing our asses off here in the East.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:25 am

Shit-fuck. :fkno Here I was thinking that the extendo forecast was offering a tiny bit of hope for next week. I am a natural optimist I guess. I see the word "rain" in there and my spirits rise. Ok so it actually says "rain-slash-ice pellets". Still, you never know! Anyways, high 30s sounds really nice right about now. Looking forward to thawing out a little bit.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:05 pm

So it has gotten so cold I can't hit balls in the garage comfortably (my garage door is insulated).

I have done enough testing and will likely be moving my Christmas present into the house over the next couple days. This weather is just gross.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:57 pm

jasonfish11 wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:05 pm
This weather is just gross.
Builds character. :school

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:17 pm

Looks like we're in for about 4". On the one hand it puts a damper on my hopes for golf next week. On the other hand a little bit of snow will kind of brighten things up around here. If we are going to suffer arctic temperatures, might as well enjoy a few snowflakes, instead of having to look down at the dry, cracked earth of our current state.

DougE, would you agree with me when I say that a little bit of exile, even if it's forced, can be good. Refresh both golf-body and golf-mind. I was reflecting today about how I haven't hit a ball in a long time, but still I don't feel like my skills are declining. I practice The Move every single day, even if it's just a little bit. When I get back out there, the feel will come back quickly, I am confident. It's just a dumbass game after all. I was also reflecting on how my neck and shoulders feel a lot looser than they do during golf season. And the calluses on my hands, not so gnarly lately. Give me a goddamn break here. You have to look at the bright side of things, I mean literally you have to. Because what is the alternative. Lay down and die, is what it is. So fuck you. Not you Doug, I mean the world. The universe, whatever. :fuckall

DougE

Post by DougE » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:20 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:17 pm
I was also reflecting on how my neck and shoulders feel a lot looser than they do during golf season. And the calluses on my hands, not so gnarly lately.
Well, I will agree that some of my specific golf-related calluses are a little less hard, but my hands overall are cracked even more than they were before this extreme cold settled in. Also, I DON'T feel as loose physically, particularly my neck and shoulders, as I did while playing and practicing golf virtually everyday. I feel like I'm stiffening up in my hips and back too. I have been trying to get out each day to walk and/or take my dog for a healthy run to stay active in this cold. I'm still doing my daily pre-round golf yoga and stretches as well.

Earlier today, I went outside and hit some full wedge shots in the backyard in 28* muted sun, wearing jeans, heavy workboots, a couple warm layers on top, under a heavily insulated Carhartt work jacket. Not surprisingly, with all those heavy clothes my swing felt very foreign. It certainly didn't help that the balls were hard as rocks. (I just used some that had been laying around outside on the ground next to my mat.)

In any case, this forced time off is not doing the same for me, as you may be trying to convince yourself that it is doing for you. I truly hope it is helping you. But, I'll need more convincing that it is actually helping me.

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:27 pm

DougE wrote: In any case, this forced time off is not doing the same for me, as you may be trying to convince yourself that it is doing for you. I truly hope it is helping you. But, I'll need more convincing that it is actually helping me.
It's helping your wallet, therefore you. :lolz

Seriously, I can't really relate to what you guys are going through, except with the experience of withdrawal I had last year when my heath forced me to lay off of golf and come back to it very slowly. The difference is that I knew that I couldn't swing the clubs physically, whereas you guys know that you could but it ain't happening because of something else unrelated to you. All I can offer is: Hang in there! This too shall pass...

I know, it's lame. :puke But that's all I have, and I mean it.
I'm gonna go low this time...

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:28 pm

DougE wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:20 pm
Earlier today, I went outside and hit some full wedge shots in the backyard in 28* muted sun, wearing jeans, heavy workboots, a couple warm layers on top, under a heavily insulated Carhartt work jacket. Not surprisingly, with all those heavy clothes my swing felt very foreign.
With all due respect that's far from an optimal getup for that temperature. Goose down :fkno I can go down to the high 'teens wearing two lightweight layers. If you want to know how I do it please ask :school