2018 Winter Season Support Group

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Re: 2018 Winter Season Support Group

Post by legitimatebeef » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:53 pm

Salvation for us could come Friday in the form of a big warm rain which could potentially clear up all the snow crap. After that day however the forecast immediately turns bleak. Cruelness of nature. :onfire
A golfball wizard's
got such a supple wrist-cock

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:00 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:37 pm

shut the fuck up asshole
So Global Warming is causing it to be so cold? :fu :fu :fu :fu
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:29 pm

srogers13 wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:00 pm
legitimatebeef wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:37 pm

shut the fuck up asshole
So Global Warming is causing it to be so cold? :fu :fu :fu :fu
That's why it's not called Global Warming anymore, but Global Climate Change. Extremes (highs and lows, wet and dry, etc...) are getting more extreme; that's also why the fires are getting worse, the droughts are getting worse, the hurricanes (both wind and amount of rain) are getting worse. You name it. Ignore it if you will, and you'll probably be ok (and me too). Your grandchildren and their kids, not so much...
I'm gonna go low this time...

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:25 am

sjduffers wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:29 pm
That's why it's not called Global Warming anymore, but Global Climate Change. Extremes (highs and lows, wet and dry, etc...) are getting more extreme; that's also why the fires are getting worse, the droughts are getting worse, the hurricanes (both wind and amount of rain) are getting worse. You name it. Ignore it if you will, and you'll probably be ok (and me too). Your grandchildren and their kids, not so much...
Please. Go read this thread from one year ago. Look, I like Al Gore and voted for him, but he should read it too.

January/February Golf thread!!!

At this time last year many of us were gaying it up, fairly hard, on the golf course. How does that factor that into the argument? Listen I am reasonable, I acknowledge the greenhouse effect and carbon emissions and all that stuff. But to blame whatever bad weather is going down at the moment on the beefster is bunk. If you look at the daily extreme weather all-time records, most of them are still many decades old. That is to say, extreme weather has been occurring for a long ass time, long before I got here. There is just not enough data, and there are too many known factors affecting climate, to support the argument. I think this argument is chiefly political in nature. Believe me, I have read some about the history of conservationism, Rachel Carson and all that crap, and I have even dabbled some in sociological research on how environmental awareness has to be dire in nature for there to be any chance of humans doing anything about it. Listen I support conservationism. I might be one of the most diligent recyclers in this whole city. I have a tiny carbon footprint compared to all of you. I have honestly lain awake at night worrying about my personal consumption of plastic. I don't need some guilt trip about how I'm the one got us all in this current mess. :fkno
A golfball wizard's

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:55 am

The earth has been cooling ever since the cretatious period, we can blame the serapods for global warming.

I'm not sure if half the words in that sentence are spelled correctly.
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:17 pm

Not sure what your beef is Mr Beef. I remember that thread (and also wrote in it). Nobody is forcing a guilt trip on you and I really believe that you are one of the good guys in that matter (and many others). Yes, last winter was unusually warm (and we had unusual rain here in CA) and this year is unusually cold. That's the point. Things are unusual because the extreme are getting more extreme.

The argument, and people willingly confusing weather and climate to suit their purpose is indeed political, for the purpose of getting folks to stop wasting resources: there is this common attitude (particular on the right side that pooh-poohs Climate Change) that none of what we do matters: gas guzzling, leave the lights on all the time, trash everywhere, pollute air and water... It's the same argument as the guy on a golf course saying "I payed my fees, I can do as I please", failing to realize we are in this together. We only have one planet: we are all better off if we take care of it, rather than just seeing the immediate buck to be made, or other immediate gratification.

DougE

Post by DougE » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:53 am

Looks like some golf---not sure how much---is one day away here in Maryland. With everything frozen solid from this extreme cold spell, there are no guarantees the course will thaw enough to open tomorrow, but with 45 degree temps forecast in the afternoon, I am hopeful. 45* Wednesday too, and over 50 on Thursday. I am very optimistic that I will get at least 9 holes in this week, with a possibility of 36 or even more.

I hope a lot of you other guys who have also been shut out the last couple weeks will get a chance to get out there and play some too.

The days are getting longer. :yess Keep the faith.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:01 am

Man this is my 3rd straight work day working from home.

My son's daycare had a pipe burst and they didn't know until this morning when they opened the doors to 6" of water everywhere.

Taking my to a different daycare for the rest of the week might put a dent in my ability to practice in the mornings

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:37 am

Temps are threatening to maybe get above freezing today. This is considered good weather news in 2018.
A golfball wizard's

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:06 pm

The forecast is not exactly wonderful but it seems likely we will have some January golf. :school
A golfball wizard's

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:14 pm

So working from home today I cold hear sheets of snow/ice sliding off my roof when the temps got warmer.

Each one I heard was like the sound of freedom, from this wintry hell.

And to top it off we should get some rain in a couple hours, it's not supposed to get down to freezing tonight (close but not quite). So hopefully tomorrow morning I'll be able to see the ground again.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:52 am

No January golf in sight, however it's finally warm enough for some January range bawlz. :puke
A golfball wizard's

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:47 pm

Hit 42 bawlsz this morning, big fuckin' deal. Hit it okay, swing still working okay but blech, who cares. Feel like I am being punched in the face by the Futility of All Life.
A golfball wizard's

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:48 pm

Happened to be reading some factoids about the sun. They say it's supposed to blow up in approximately 5 billions years. DO IT NOW Is what I say. :fuckall
A golfball wizard's

DougE

Post by DougE » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:34 pm

Total disappointment.

I was so excited about finally getting back out there after the weather-forced 2 1/2 week layoff. I thought today was the day.

Last night we had frozen precip which resulted in a sheet of ice on everything. It was taking some time to melt this morning. Roads were treacherous, with some literally impossible to drive on. With the temps forecast to be in the 40s today (and tomorrow) I expected things would be fine by afternoon. As I was looking through my closet, trying to decide which ensemble to wear for my first round of 2018, it crossed my mind that I had better call the pro shop, just to make sure I could actually get out today. Surprisingly, I was told that the course is still closed. Needs to thaw further. The range should be open tomorrow, with golf course opening hopefully in late morning/early afternoon on Thursday..two full days away! I already had an 11:30 tee time scheduled for Thursday anyway, but was really wanting to get a practice 9 or 18 in before then.

Evidently the frozen course was much worse than I expected. Oh well. Stayed home and hit a couple dozen full PWs in my backyard. Will likely hit the range tomorrow. In the meantime, I'll have to pick out a different ensemble for my Thursday round. It's gonna be mid 50s. Way too warm for the outfit I had planned.

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:04 pm

If it's any consolation to you all, it's pouring rain here so I too, am stuck inside. Like I had time to golf anyway.

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:54 pm

Duke of Hazards wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:04 pm
If it's any consolation to you all, it's pouring rain here so I too, am stuck inside. Like I had time to golf anyway.
I had time, but same thing, a big rain out. Probably over 2 inches between yesterday and today. More in the hills...

The good news is that I am packing my bags and heading towards the islands (HI) tomorrow: golf is guaranteed there and I have a tee time with my regular group on Sunday (but will get more in before that). :yess

DougE

Post by DougE » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:31 pm

sjduffers wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:54 pm
The good news is that I am packing my bags and heading towards the islands (HI) tomorrow: golf is guaranteed there and I have a tee time with my regular group on Sunday (but will get more in before that). :yess
:fu

I mean that in a good way.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:43 am

DougE wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:34 pm
Total disappointment.

I was so excited about finally getting back out there after the weather-forced 2 1/2 week layoff. I thought today was the day.
Sad :puke

For us, deliverance is coming tomorrow night and Friday--big warm rain. After that though it's going to be very dodgy, day to day situation. Golf teetering between existence and non-existence. As of now eyeing Tuesday. Going to be borderline but if they open the course I'll be there. :fuckall
A golfball wizard's

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:51 pm

Freedom's just another word for no shits left to give.
A golfball wizard's

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:12 pm

Friday's forecast calls for a high of 60°. That's 48° warmer than the high temp five days ago. I'm not mad, just disappointed. :fkno
A golfball wizard's

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:57 pm

I see you people dropping by and not posting anything. I don't understand that. Posting doesn't cost anything. I rarely if ever drop by without posting some trivial garbage or other off the top of my head. I do it partly because I am the owner of this place and I'll do whatever the heck I want (narc). But also because it makes me feel better, because I am free to say things in here that aren't fit for the outside world, or the civilized world or whatever the fuck it's called now. I think Freud called it the "id" part of the brain and pretty sure we all have it.
A golfball wizard's

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:15 pm

Most people don't want to read the unimportant crap that I normally think.

Besides isn't that what twitter is for.

"Heading to the gym #legday" - ugh seeing this turn into that shit would make me quit coming.

DougE

Post by DougE » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:52 pm

Heading to the gym. #legday #pissjfishoff

DougE

Post by DougE » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:34 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:57 pm
I see you people dropping by and not posting anything. I don't understand that. Posting doesn't cost anything. I rarely if ever drop by without posting some trivial garbage or other off the top of my head. I do it partly because I am the owner of this place and I'll do whatever the heck I want (narc). But also because it makes me feel better, because I am free to say things in here that aren't fit for the outside world, or the civilized world or whatever the fuck it's called now. I think Freud called it the "id" part of the brain and pretty sure we all have it.
Be careful what you wish for Beef. I am the king of triviality, and as you are probably all painfully aware, I can get pretty long-winded on the most mundane stuff.