2018 Winter Season Support Group

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

2018 Winter Season Support Group

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:58 am

FROZEN SOLID

That's what we are. Nothing on the horizon but more arctic temperatures, dry skin and nostrils and chapped lips. Fuck this shit.

There's a new simulator place opened up in my part of town. Have made up my mind to do at least one round of indoor fake golf this season. And why not? It is the wave of the future after all. In a few decades' time, perhaps indoor fake golf will have become the primary form of golf on the scorched, barren earth of 2050 or whatever.

:bawl
A golfball wizard's
got such a supple wrist-cock

DougE

Re: 2018 Winter Season Support Group

Post by DougE » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:00 pm

I'm already going into deep depression. I have SAD. (Seasonal Affective Disorder). Real thing. My doctor says so.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:24 pm

I have it too, no joke. I can feel the changes in me and none of them are good. Have to remind myself constantly around this time of year that my feelings about the world and life in general are greatly distorted by the circumstances, the poverty of sunlight and indoor-imprisonment and what have you. Whenever I get the chance, I will close my eyes and face the direct sun, try to get a decent day's ration of rays. Modern human life says that the sun is dangerous and something to be feared, while completely forgetting the important truth that the sun is the main power source for all life as we know it. S.A.D. is a real and substantial condition that affects life on a seismic scale. One day we will understand it much better but for now we are still in the dark ages. One day we will know how to treat the condition effectively and decisively, instead of what we do now which is mope around complaining about how we "hate winter, ugh!", and then put up lights and decorations and spend all kinds of money on useless retail crap in an attempt to brighten ourselves up.
A golfball wizard's

DougE

Post by DougE » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:27 am

It's 20 degrees outside. :bawl I'm going stir crazy. Gonna hit some frozen balls in the backyard off my mat before I forget what was working last time I played...which was 5 days ago. Last Saturday. OMG, I'm freakin' out. Forecast looks too cold for any play all the way through next week. Warm up into 40s is nowhere in sight. :fk
Attachments
HELP in Sand.jpg
HELP in Sand.jpg (774.23 KiB) Viewed 1877 times

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:34 pm

With wind chill the temp is around zero over here. It is a bummer. I looked at last year's January Golf! thread though and it cheered me up, gave me hope. There was a lot of golf played, and even some warm temperatures.
A golfball wizard's

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:39 pm

Hey Doug, the extendo forecast, at the far end, like next Sunday/Monday, is showing high 30s/40s here. I know that's outside the range of forecast reliability and is probably based on historical averages and shit, but for now I'll cling to it for comfort. The ground will be rock solid but if it gets anywhere near 40 degrees I am there.
A golfball wizard's

DougE

Post by DougE » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:58 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:39 pm
The ground will be rock solid but if it gets anywhere near 40 degrees I am there.
Me too!

And look at the bright side. Extra distance on the drives with the frozen ground. Every drive should get that extra 30 yard "Cart Path" bounce. And if the greens are as frozen, your approach shots will likely be only about 1/2 the distance of what the pin measures.

Bring a hammer and heavy nail. It's near impossible to get a tee in the ground without first making a nail hole to put it in. Or a battery operated drill. That works too. Look at me trying to help you plan for playing in very cold conditions. Nobody knows better than you. You da king of cold-weather golf.

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:37 pm

My course is closing two courses on Sunday so they can cover the greens with tarps, but I will be on the third course if they let us out.
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:04 pm

DougE wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:58 pm
You da king of cold-weather golf.
King? That's a bit much! How about "the chosen one", something like that.
A golfball wizard's

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:05 pm

I would play when it gets colder, my problem is the greens down here are not cold friendly, so the courses do not let us out.
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

DougE

Post by DougE » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:36 pm

srogers13 wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:05 pm
I would play when it gets colder, my problem is the greens down here are not cold friendly, so the courses do not let us out.
I checked with our superintendent last year about damaging frozen greens by walking on them (after having a similar discussion here--I think with you--at that time). He told me we have to wait until the surface thaws before it's okay. As a result, we have a lot of frost delays in November and December after nights that go below freezing, but rarely does he close the course unless the temps do not get above freezing for awhile. Our courses will not see above freezing for at least a week based on the forecast, so I am sure we will not be open until into the 2nd week of January, at the earliest. However, he said, if the sun is out and the surface thaws to 1/2 inch deep during the midday, even on a day where the temps only get up to 33 or 34ish, usually it's okay to play on them. I'm sure the fact that we can play in very cold temps here and you can't has something to do with the fact that we are on bent grass and you are likely on Bermuda, as you alluded.

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:00 pm

I talked to the super at my course and from my understanding once Bermuda goes dormant you can walk on it if it's frozen without killing it. The problem up here is bent grass never truly goes dormant and most courses here have bent grass greens.

I know there are multiple types of Bermuda and don't know if he was referencing a specific type or not.
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:51 am

Deep freeze continues. This is when things start to get mental. I am checking a battery of long-range forecasts, on an hourly basis. The best seems to be Accuweather, which forecasts some warming by next Saturday. On the other hand Wunderground is less bullish and thinks the deep freeze will continue into next weekend.
A golfball wizard's

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:58 am

OK now I suspect that Accuweather is just a bunch of loonies. They offer a detailed, day-to-day forecast that extends like, six weeks out. For instance, wondering about Monday, January 22? You're in luck! High of 45 and clouds giving way to sun. Noice! Let's make some plans then! How about February? Sunday the 11th is forecast to be 43, clouds and sun. Think I'll book a tee-time!

You don't have to be a meteorology expert to understand that this is dealing in pure fantasy. What a bunch of pricks.
A golfball wizard's

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:01 am

Jesus Christ. :facepalm Accuweather forecast goes all the way to March 28. Oh, you were wondering about the weather on March 29? What are you, some kind of lunatic? Nobody could possibly predict the weather THAT far out.

Now I am wondering if Accuweather can be trusted with ANYthing. Clearly they are out of their minds over there.
A golfball wizard's

DougE

Post by DougE » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:33 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:01 am
Clearly they are out of their minds over there.
Clearly.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:38 pm

I believe that this is when the weather channel talks about the "european model" and the "U.S. model." Funny how my mood changes as to which one I wishes was better. Wife and I had a staycation in NYC - we were supposed to spend lots of time walking around and browsing but had to change plans. Currently NYC is forecasted for 12 straight days in the 20's or lower. Too cold to even go to the heated range. Have a trip south next week but now looking doubtful I can play. Unhappiness all around.

DougE

Post by DougE » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:56 am

Doom and gloom when I look at the 10 day forecast. For the entire east with the exception of Florida. I had considered throwing my clubs in the car and heading south for a day or two, but unless I went all the way to Florida, it's not really worth the drive, even though I am going bat-shit crazy here. Even as far south as Sea Island, GA, the temps don't get above 45 all next week. Checked out Myrtle Beach, a 7 1/2 hour drive. 30s next week. Since I can't get away for more than a day, two at most, I am stuck here. Just going to have to grin and bear it. (Yes, bear is the correct usage, vs. bare, in case you were questioning me! :school ) I am getting quite ornery without golf. Don't piss me off. :fk

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:18 am

DougE wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:56 am
Doom and gloom when I look at the 10 day forecast. For the entire east with the exception of Florida. I had considered throwing my clubs in the car and heading south for a day or two, but unless I went all the way to Florida, it's not really worth the drive, even though I am going bat-shit crazy here. Even as far south as Sea Island, GA, the temps don't get above 45 all next week. Checked out Myrtle Beach, a 7 1/2 hour drive. 30s next week. Since I can't get away for more than a day, two at most, I am stuck here. Just going to have to grin and bear it. (Yes, bear is the correct usage, vs. bare, in case you were questioning me! :school ) I am getting quite ornery without golf. Don't piss me off. :fk
Do you have access to simulators?
A golfball wizard's

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:24 am

Woke up to a dusting of snow this morning. A small amount but it presents a major obstacle--at these temperatures, nothing is melting. The tail end of the extended 'cast still looks promising though--high 30s by Sunday followed by more warming. Could be complete horsecrap though. Tough times.
A golfball wizard's

DougE

Post by DougE » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:36 am

Can't stand simulators. To me, doesn't feel like golf at all. Rather play in the cold. Seriously, who can't hit good shots off a mat? Truth be told, haven't tried the newer sims, but the last time I hit off one, probably 5 or 6 years ago, on one that was 10 or 12 years old, it was certainly not virtual reality in my mind.

DougE

Post by DougE » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:37 am

We got an inch of snow too. Enough that I have to go clear the driveway so it doesn't turn to two packed ice tracks if I drive my truck on it.

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:28 pm

DougE wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:36 am
Can't stand simulators. To me, doesn't feel like golf at all. Rather play in the cold. Seriously, who can't hit good shots off a mat? Truth be told, haven't tried the newer sims, but the last time I hit off one, probably 5 or 6 years ago, on one that was 10 or 12 years old, it was certainly not virtual reality in my mind.
I've done a lot of research and it just depends on the mat. Some are very penalizing to bad shots (even more than real turf). The one I have I get great feedback and haven't even got the simulator yet. I know exactly when it's fat, thin, heel or toe. Probably because my clubs too, but the mat doesn't make it easier.

I only decided to build a home simulator because I have a small kid and going to the garage or room over garage for 15-20 min is a lot easier than getting away to the range for 45 min. For you I doubt a simulator in your house makes sense. And I agree a commercial one probably isn't going to spring for a good mat. So if you go somewhere you won't likely get the right feedback. But hitting balls is better than not hitting balls.

Also with your shoulder issues you need to be very careful hitting off mats. They don't give like the earth. I know after using mine for a couple days I have purchased some extra padding to absorb some of the shock. If I hit more than 20 or so irons I can feel it in my wrist and elbow for a couple hours. But I knew this from the research I did and found some modifications that are supposed to soften the impact without loosing the feedback.

I'm supposed to play my next tournament Saturday at 9:30. Forecast right now is 14 degrees around 6:00am and getting to 35 for a high. Something tells me it's not going to happen.
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

DougE

Post by DougE » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:22 pm

Actually I already own a great mat which allows me to properly hit down on the ball. It's a $400 mat, or thereabouts. At least it was back in 2009 or so, when I got it. I'm sure I have mentioned it on here before. I do use it when I don't want to wreck my yard up or I am working on certain things where hitting from the 3 inch grass (at which height I cut my lawn) isn't ideal. I also used to use it all the time in my old shop, where I hit AlmostGolf balls everyday before, after and during working hours. I wish I could remember the brand, but it is better than any other mat I have ever seen or hit off of.

Here's a couple pics, though don't know what you can tell from looking at them. It's over 2 inches thick, and the "grass" is thick and tight enough to hold a tee, should I want to practice driver or par 3 tee shots off of it. Maybe you've seen one like this. It really is a great mat. But, as good as it is, it is still more forgiving than real turf, which will penalize you for even the most minimal fat contact.
Attachments
100_0474.JPG
100_0474.JPG (1.39 MiB) Viewed 1789 times
100_0473.JPG
100_0473.JPG (1.7 MiB) Viewed 1789 times

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:20 pm

Whoever coined the term "seasonal affective disorder" is a fuckface, as is anyone who would make a joke out of the naming of a serious mental affliction. A dumb joke might be funny in the moment but as a so-called medical professional you have to take a long view of things. Whoever came up with SAD failed to do that, to consider the ramifications. How about instead of AIDS, we call it Autoimmune Suppression Syndrome, or ASS? It's a lot funnier after all. :bored

Thanks to some stupid idiot, this seasonal sickness of both mind and body which affects people quite seriously gets no consideration either by the public or the medical community. They should have called it seasonal depressive disorder or something a little more sober.
A golfball wizard's