2018 Winter Season Support Group

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Re: 2018 Winter Season Support Group

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:07 am

Welcome to hell. 67/72° for the next couple of days. Beyond that is a bunch more unseasonable warm days. Friday will be a winter golf-tastic high of 43°, but also likelihood of rain.

And I just read that early March is going to bring some cold air down from the Arctic or whatever. Really not sure right now how I feel about this winter season. I guess overall it's been alright in terms of golf. Very volatile though, like last year. Seems somehow fitting for these troubled times.
A golfball wizard's
got such a supple wrist-cock

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:19 pm

74 today. I hate it. Warmth is nice but there is a time and place for everything. I like a nice glass of scotch and a dry aged fucking porterhouse, but if you put that in my face at 10am I might start dry heaving. Time and a place for everything.
A golfball wizard's

DougE

Post by DougE » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:29 am

Been in Florida for about a week. Played 0 rounds.

Hip/back problem erupted while driving down. No idea what happened. After nearly a week of barely being able to move, yesterday I saw some slight progress. So, late afternoon, I took my wife to the local course (a dump) to re-establish her swing a bit since the last time we were here (and only time she has picked up a club since then). I chipped and instructed for an hour. Then we moved to the range where I tried some full swings. Very uncomfortable for me, though pain wasn't sharp or debilitating as it was earlier in the week while just trying to move around. I hit 20-30 balls, all wedges and irons only. Considering I hadn't swung a club in a week and was so uncomfortable, I hit the ball fairly well, even though I had no confidence over the ball. My body was not feeling good, so I was glad to see us reach the end of the bucket of balls, of which my wife hit the majority. Left there at dark feeling like a broken man/golfer.

This trip has been a bust. I was hoping to play 4 or 5 days while here at some of my favorite tracks, all very nice. Instead, depending on how I feel later today, I might try to play nine holes with my wife at the dumpy track. We're leaving Sunday am.

Don't know if this issue will feel better by Monday when I get home, but either way, want to find out what went wrong on the drive down. I still have another long drive ahead of me too, so it's possible the problem will worsen during the trip home. I never expected it on the way down, just from sitting in the driver's seat. I am baffled by it. I'll be making an appointment as soon as I get back with the first and only chiropractor I have ever been confident that knew what he was doing.

Did I mention it's been 85 and sunny every single day since we arrived here. Frustrating seeing my clubs just doing nothing.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:41 am

DougE wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:29 am
Been in Florida for about a week. Played 0 rounds.

Hip/back problem erupted while driving down. No idea what happened. After nearly a week of barely being able to move, yesterday I saw some slight progress. So, late afternoon, I took my wife to the local course (a dump) to re-establish her swing a bit since the last time we were here (and only time she has picked up a club since then). I chipped and instructed for an hour. Then we moved to the range where I tried some full swings. Very uncomfortable for me, though pain wasn't sharp or debilitating as it was earlier in the week while just trying to move around. I hit 20-30 balls, all wedges and irons only. Considering I hadn't swung a club in a week and was so uncomfortable, I hit the ball fairly well, even though I had no confidence over the ball. My body was not feeling good, so I was glad to see us reach the end of the bucket of balls, of which my wife hit the majority. Left there at dark feeling like a broken man/golfer.

This trip has been a bust. I was hoping to play 4 or 5 days while here at some of my favorite tracks, all very nice. Instead, depending on how I feel later today, I might try to play nine holes with my wife at the dumpy track. We're leaving Sunday am.

Don't know if this issue will feel better by Monday when I get home, but either way, want to find out what went wrong on the drive down. I still have another long drive ahead of me too, so it's possible the problem will worsen during the trip home. I never expected it on the way down, just from sitting in the driver's seat. I am baffled by it. I'll be making an appointment as soon as I get back with the first and only chiropractor I have ever been confident that knew what he was doing.

Did I mention it's been 85 and sunny every single day since we arrived here. Frustrating seeing my clubs just doing nothing.
Enjoy your sun and leisure. Let's hope that once you get back to civilization, you'll be swinging and ready to enjoy those last few scraps of quiet wintergolf. Anyways screw Florida.
A golfball wizard's

DougE

Post by DougE » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:37 pm

Played nine. Big deal. Something is out of whack physically with my hip/back, but swung the clubs okay in spite of it. Shot a 39 from the blues on a fairly docile course (116 slope). Can't complain. Don't know if I could have played 9 more. Was feeling really fatigued. At least the trip wasn't a total bust, not that nine holes is anything to be that happy about.

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:49 pm

I suspect that your driving position is slightly tilted to the right (i.e. towards the pedals), causing stress on your left side. Not making things better are keeping your wallet in the rightside back pocket. I do both of these things (the wallet comes out for long drives though), and I have a soreness/stiffness on my left side too, more so after long drives. It's as if the driver seat is angled towards the right, I feel. It isn't (at least I don't think it really is) but my driving position must be, somehow.

Anyway, hoping you get better soon, Doug. This is no fun.
I'm gonna go low this time...

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:35 pm

I got in the habit of putting my wallet in my front pocket all of the time.

Now the only thing that goes in my back pocket is a golf glove occasionally.
Keep it short stupid.

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:30 pm

That sucks Doug. Reminds me of the time I went to Oahu and stayed across the street from Ko'Olina golf course the week after I got tennis elbow.

Hope you feel better soon, although it does sound like the car ride did it.

As an aside, I no longer carry a wallet. I have this phone case that holds three cards in a slider compartment on the back. That's really all I need.
Bluto did it

MattF

Post by MattF » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:25 am

I sounds to me like your hips are tilted. Happens to me so much that I have a chiropractor appointment every month. My right leg gets shorter than my left. I also have my wallet in my right back pocket but I use one of these https://www.all-ett.com/product/ultra-s ... al-wallet/ and it's so thin I don't realise that it's there.
Throw me another ball will ya!

DougE

Post by DougE » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:34 pm

I carry a very small wallet. When driving, I don't even keep it in a back pocket, but usually somewhere in the console. So doubt that had anything to do with it. I may have been leaning to my right while resting my elbow on the arm rest. I'll be cognizant of that on the return trip.

I'm thinking it has something to do with some other hip issues I have been having of late. Hopefully my chiropractor will work it out when I get back.

I was able to sneak in another 9 today at the same dump I played 9 yesterday. Did 2 strokes better with a 37, 1 over par. 116 slope is a big difference from the 137 slope I usually play. Shot 39 yesterday and 37 today and my handicap went UP a tenth. The greens were true and slow, with very little slope and/or break. Almost easy. 1.4 putting average today. 13 putts. Nothing like the dastardly greens I am still trying to figure out at my home course after two full years and 350 rounds.

Back in the car for the drive north tomorrow morning. I have a tee time at Worthington scheduled for Tuesday if I don't have the same problem again that I had on the drive down.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:17 am

Do some toe touches and some jumping jacks, whenever you make a rest stop. That's all I got.
A golfball wizard's

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:24 am

Horrible weather mix today, lot of wind, lot of wetness. Judging by a quick look at past Spring/Winter threads, seems like the recent trend is a mild Jan/Feb followed by some late-season dumpage in March, even April. Anticipating another shitty Spring season, for golf at least. :puke
A golfball wizard's

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:02 pm

A golfball wizard's

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:43 am

Up to 12" tomorrow.

I tried to warn you all.
A golfball wizard's

DougE

Post by DougE » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:54 am

Sorry Beef, that sucks. And, I was complaining about 41 degrees and .2 inches of rain forecast here tomorrow. Perspective.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:06 pm

It's like a big tease. Some nice weather in late February followed by the late snows. Beef is right - I think that this is 3 years in a row without significant January snow only to be blasted late Feb/March. Really displeasing, especially since I've really struck the ball well the last two range sessions. Clocks Spring forward Sunday which is usually when golf season returns to NJ. Not quite this year.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:30 pm

Sucks, sure, but you know the beefster and the Gbogeymeister are gonna cope just fine. It is what we do. :school

This storm barely even has my attention. Just looked at the latest. Now downgraded to around 8", and the temperature is right on the mendoza line so it could be a wet sloppy one. And nothing but ice-melting sun and warm for the rest of the extendo forecast so it''d be kind of silly for us to pity-party too hard right now. Late winter turf is pure shit at the moment anyways so what are we really missing? Is my question to you.
A golfball wizard's

DougE

Post by DougE » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:34 pm

Just went out to play before the weather gets worse this week. Too late. 42*. Overcast. Felt 32* even though the wind wasn't all that bad. Maybe 10-12 mph. I knew it was time to quit when it started sleeting. My hands were already frozen. Thought about pressing on when I got to 10th, but my hands were so cold I knew it wouldn't be pretty even though I hit the ball fairly well on the front. Once the sleet pellets started, I could tell I was losing focus. Looks like a few forced days off ahead, but eyeing Saturday afternoon, based on the forecast of 47* and sunny.

jattruia

Post by jattruia » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:56 pm

This past weekend in atlanta was perfect; mid 60's and sunny. Of course, that means everyone and their grandmother decided to get out to the course. We got a 1:50 tee time at a very nice, fun Arnold Palmer course and assumed a 4.5 hr round; long but doable. Sure enough, we waited form the first tee on 1, and every shot going forward. By the time we made the turn, it was 5:00...a 3 hour front 9 with no break in site. We had called the clubhouse around hole 7 and they got a marshal out, but by then it was too late.

Luckily, they were kind enough to give us rainchecks for the back 9 with absolutely no pushback. I love the course, but had it been an argument and no compensation, i don't think i would have returned. Luckily, customer service was on point and i'm already looking forward to getting back there. Needless to say though, 9 holes over PERFECT saturday and sunday weather is disappointing.

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:25 pm

Perfect weather, Jay, except for Satan's Dust being out this weekend. Always know there is trouble when your car turns a shade of yellow. :wah
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:37 pm

Eh. Now they say 4-8". NBD. Days are long now, sun will beat down upon the snowfall and it'll be gone quick.
A golfball wizard's

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:07 am

Fuckin forecast is still flux. Now we're back up towards 12". Nothing's sticking yet though. Probably gonna be a sloppy evening.
A golfball wizard's

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:03 pm

My predictions were pretty accurate. Here we are coming into mid-March, into Daylight "Savings" time, and now staring down the barrel of God's snow-blower yet again.
A golfball wizard's

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:50 am

We caught the edge of the nor-easter and while some snow fell it fizzled out pretty quick. No accumulation that I can see. Which means we will be out there slopping it up before too long.
A golfball wizard's

DougE

Post by DougE » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:01 pm

....assuming there is not ANOTHER nor'easter in your pipeline.