2018 Winter Season Support Group

DougE

Re: 2018 Winter Season Support Group

Post by DougE » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:00 pm

Oh, I can too. But, I was outside working on stuff, so had my "work clothes" on when I picked up an old wedge in the garage. When I plan to play or practice in cold, I have lots of options that keep me warm and somewhat able to swing freely. In addition to lots of FootJoy, UA and Nike cold weather golf gear, I also have some very lightweight and sporty LL Bean "down" vests that I can wear over my FJ, Nike or UA jackets which keep me warm on the course down into the low 30s.

One thing positive I can say about this recent extreme cold snap, I am becoming acclimated to it enough that, when the temps get back up into the mid-high 30s, it will feel like a comfortable day on the course. Prior to the cold snap, I had no desire to play when it was in the 30s. Now 35-40 seems a lot more appealing. Hell, I'll play in 33 or above if they open the course, particularly if the sun is out and the wind is light. Two days next week might meet that description according to the forecast.

Holy shit! I just went back to see which two days next week would be playable and they have CHANGED THE FORECAST for the worse since my last look at it earlier today. It was forecast to be near 41 on Monday and Tuesday. Now it's showing the highest temperature for at least the next 10 days to be 31, with lows the next 3 days below zero. WTF! :fk

I gotta stop looking at the 10-day. It's making me crazy.

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:32 am

6-10" is what they are spewing out of their vile, godless mouths currently.
no more polo shirts

DougE

Post by DougE » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:15 am

It seems we have escaped any major snow accumulation 40 miles inland from the Chesapeake, which is getting hammered. I just used a push broom to move about an inch of snow off the driveway. Took about 20 minutes. But the temps are going to be arctic over the next 3 days here. And the wind will be 20-30 mph with higher gusts. Beef, and those along the New England coast are in for much worse. Good luck guys.

Just noticed that the long term forecast for Myrtle Beach shows 61 degrees next Friday. Hmmmm. Let's see, if I leave Maryland at 5am I can be on the first tee somewhere by 1, play 18, then maybe..........

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:35 am

It's hard to tell how much snow we got because the wind is nasty some places we have 10" and some we have 2". My guess is we already got 6" (the bottom cross beam on my fence is just above the snow) and it's still snowing. Although slower.

My big issue is it rained/iced from 8pm to 11pm last night. I'm not looking forward to seeing what is under the snow.
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:38 am

It is blowing around in all directions including up. However it feels nice and warm outside. Me and the dog actually lingered a little bit.

Doug, our forecast is not completely demoralizing. It shows 34/41 for Mon/Tuesday, followed mostly by above-32 for the rest of the week. I still cling to the hope of some January golf :puke
no more polo shirts

jattruia

Post by jattruia » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:55 am

I don't know how you guys are doing it. Atlanta has been hovering in the 20's and 30 for a couple weeks now and it's killing me. I have a tennis match Saturday which should be absolutely miserable; i don't even know how to dress for it.

It looks like we have 50s on the horizon, but we'll see. I have been playing year round golf here for a few years, but it looks like that may come to an end this month with weather and travel coming up. I'm going to go ahead and make this a real hiatus and i'm not swinging a club or anything until at least next week. I've had issues with hip pain after golf lately so maybe some time off will help (?). At least, that's what i'm going with...let the body heal while i can.

This does suck though; this is exactly why i left CT.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:57 am

The way I see it this weather situation is bringing large swaths of our splintered nation together in the spirit of commiseration.
no more polo shirts

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:17 am

Gonna be interesting to see if I get golf on Saturday, low Friday night 24, high Saturday 46. Can it warm up fast enough for us to be able to get out? By the way, that is the course letting us out. I would play if I could.
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:25 pm

DougE, go look at the forecast again. Looks like next week may be warm and wet--exactly what we need if we are going to make winter golf great again.
no more polo shirts

DougE

Post by DougE » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:42 pm

Whoa! Thanks Beef. I just checked the 10-day. If any of that actually turns out to be even close to what is NOW the forecast, I have a prayer. I'm not going to get too excited yet. Last night it went from a few days around 41* to (3 hours later) no higher than 31* all week with no chance for any melting. Just now when I looked, I saw a 49* day possible late next week. I guess at this point I'll keep my hopes up a little, but will believe it when I see it.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:12 pm

Just stubbed a toe. I am afraid to take off the sock and view the damage.
no more polo shirts

DougE

Post by DougE » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:25 am

I now see 3 days next week forecast to be above 40 degrees. One near 50. Whoopie! I'm sure all the crazies, like me, will be coming out of the woodwork. I'm not taking any chances. Gonna make me some tee times now, to be safe! And, bonus...the ponds will all be frozen solid after this deep freeze the last couple weeks. No chance for lost balls in the water. (Love that twangy sound when a ball lands hard on a frozen pond, especially if someone other than me hit it!) :yess

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:54 am

Glad for you Doug. Even if my own situation remains bleak. That's ok, I can handle it. I am prepared to strap in and ride this winter out no matter how long. Still practicing in the living room. Will visit the simulator if need be. If this bullcrap keeps up for another few weeks, will drive down to Worthington's if I have to. You still got some guest passes right?
no more polo shirts

DougE

Post by DougE » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:28 am

Never had any guest passes. I was hoping to get some thrown in with that new membership I spoke of, since the top membership available other than that one includes some passes with it. But, all indications are that guest passes are not included, since it's already a really good deal. I'll know for sure soon. Just trying to find a mutually convenient time to meet with Worthington's owner to discuss my concerns and hopefully negotiate some passes. In the meantime, it's pretty reasonable to play here right now in mid-winter should you decide to take the 4-5 hour drive.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:02 pm

Here comes the country club guest from hell. Going to mortify the Dougmeister with my disgusting untucked shirt, changin'-shoes-in-the-parking-lot ways. Members will be stifling their derisive laughter as I continually refer to the place as "Worthington's Manor". Doug will have to trail behind me giving out tips to all the cart boys, bag jockeys, beverage girls etc. that I will invariably cheap out on. Lookin forward to it.
no more polo shirts

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:24 pm

Just got notice from my course that the two courses with covers for the greens they are hoping to get play out tomorrow at about 9:30am ( I have 8 am tee time.) The third course without the covers is still going to be closed all weekend as they are still covered in ice and they do not expect it to melt until at least Monday.
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:35 pm

srogers13 wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:24 pm
Just got notice from my course that the two courses with covers for the greens they are hoping to get play out tomorrow at about 9:30am ( I have 8 am tee time.) The third course without the covers is still going to be closed all weekend as they are still covered in ice and they do not expect it to melt until at least Monday.
Have fun and think of us while you are out there won't you. :puke
no more polo shirts

DougE

Post by DougE » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:36 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:02 pm
Here comes the country club guest from hell. Going to mortify the Dougmeister with my disgusting untucked shirt, changin'-shoes-in-the-parking-lot ways. Members will be stifling their derisive laughter as I continually refer to the place as "Worthington's Manor". Doug will have to trail behind me giving out tips to all the cart boys, bag jockeys, beverage girls etc. that I will invariably cheap out on. Lookin forward to it.

:facepalm

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:41 pm

Ground conditions are pure awful right now. Streets are a mess. Too cold for anything to melt and strong winds are blowing yesterday's flakes everywhere making it impossible to keep any surface clean. Even walking becomes a pain in the ass. Tomorrow looks to be the coldest day in the history of NYC, should be interesting.
no more polo shirts

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:48 pm

They had snow at the coast but here it’s just bone numbingly cold
I'm gonna hit a provisional
HCP Index :facepalm

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:57 pm

My current paradise.
Attachments
30724.jpeg
30724.jpeg (171.85 KiB) Viewed 586 times
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:21 pm

I'm in Tennessee for the weekend. Normal high is around 50 and I thought I'd get some rounds in - tomorrow it's going to be 37 - then go the 50's later next week. Tough winter for golfers all around.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:59 am

Have abandoned all hope for the time being.
no more polo shirts

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:27 pm

I went out and did shit today. It is so dodgy out there, snow-ice everywhere. At least the sun's out though.
no more polo shirts

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:37 pm

shut the fuck up asshole
no more polo shirts