Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:40 pm
Teeing off tomorrow at 8:40! I wonder what it will feel like
im so excited :gay
A golfball wizard's
got such a supple wrist-cock

sjduffers

Re: January Golf!

Post by sjduffers » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:52 pm

I am still in Hawaii for a few more days, and I won't bore you with how nice and warm it is and all that stuff. I Just want to vent about my inability to put 18 holes together, and I feel it's just a mental thing (ie lack of focus). To wit, the previous round was 50-38=88 and today I had an 37-43=80 (after missing some easy putts on the back nine), on the same course, with holes played in the same order. WTF? I guess it could have also been 93 or 75...
I'm gonna go low this time...

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Post by bkuehn1952 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:19 pm

sjduffers wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:52 pm
I am still in Hawaii for a few more days, and I won't bore you with how nice and warm it is and all that stuff...
Thank you!! ;)

It was probably a lot like Hawaii here is the Partially Thawed Mitten. 40 degrees (f), cloudy, breezy and a bit of rain sprinkles. It was so nice I went around the "Flat 7" three times. I felt if I was going to consider my 34 month streak extended to 35 months, I had to play 18 in one day.

First birdie on the new year. :yess
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

DougE

Post by DougE » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:21 am

Played Friday and yesterday (Saturday). Should have skipped yesterday, but the forecast for the upcoming week seemed iffy, so figured I'd give it a shot. Though the temps were near 60 on Friday, it wasn't busy. But, with mid-50s yesterday, the masses came out of the woodwork.

Rather than rewrite my notes from my SG360 entry, I just cut and pasted it here:

Planned for 18, but was feeling like flu coming on since finishing yesterday's round. Body totally sore, everywhere. I was moving slow. Crowd was massive. Frost delay pushed us back an hour and a half. Oh, and wind was gusting over 25 mph. Played with a nice father and son. Would have been more interesting and fun if I didn't feel so poorly.

Didn't bother with keeping stats, feeling as I did. Had no tempo. No power. No energy. Muddy conditions. Cart path only. And with the ridiculous wind, Bernie and I couldn't wait to get through nine so we could get the hell out of there. Over 130 golfers scheduled, plus walk-ons, between 9 and 2pm. In those conditions. Talk about a slog. Oh yeah, they ran out of carts because a bunch were in the shop for winter repairs. Though we each had rangefinders, with it being CPO, it would have been nice to have some idea before we got out of the cart which clubs to bring with us for those shots that ended up far from the path. More than once, I did not have the club I needed when I finally got to my ball. Pain in the ass.

With my new all-inclusive membership now, it cost me nothing to give up and go home. So no big deal. There will be plenty of better days to play.

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Post by legitimatebeef » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:45 am

DougE wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:21 am
Though we each had rangefinders, with it being CPO, it would have been nice to have some idea before we got out of the cart which clubs to bring with us for those shots that ended up far from the path. More than once, I did not have the club I needed when I finally got to my ball. Pain in the ass.
Just bring the scope with you. :puke We have CPO all the time here. Bring 3,4,5 clubs too. What's the GD difference. Once you've pulled out more than one club, it's officially become a hassle anyways.
With my new all-inclusive membership now, it cost me nothing to give up and go home. So no big deal. There will be plenty of better days to play.[/i]
Enviable position. How many shit rounds have we all forced ourselves to choke all the way down, just to salvage some stupid money's worth. Gad that sucks. Not shitty in terms of gameplay--proud to say I've never quit due to sucking--but because of crowding and slow play.
A golfball wizard's

DougE

Post by DougE » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:51 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:45 am
DougE wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:21 am
Though we each had rangefinders, with it being CPO, it would have been nice to have some idea before we got out of the cart which clubs to bring with us for those shots that ended up far from the path. More than once, I did not have the club I needed when I finally got to my ball. Pain in the ass.
Just bring the scope with you. :puke We have CPO all the time here. Bring 3,4,5 clubs too. What's the GD difference. Once you've pulled out more than one club, it's officially become a hassle anyways.

Oh I always bring the RF with me when I get out of the cart. But, what I meant is, when it's CPO and you hit your shot far from the cart path---maybe down the side of a hill and not visible from the cart as I did yesterday on the first hole---you have no idea what club you might need. Twice yesterday, this happened to me. Off the first tee I hit a solid drive, but slightly left and down a steep sidehill into rough. Riding out for approach shot, I stopped the cart on path, but it was on the right side of the fairway and rough, nearly 100 yards from where my ball ended up (though I could not see the ball from the cart), the cart-GPS gave me no clear indication of what to bring. Using my local knowledge, knowing I have been down in that general area before, I took an educated guess on which clubs I might possibly need. When I got down there to the ball, I needed more club once I realized I was not as far up as I thought. Wind held up the drive and unfortunately required even more club for my approach, which I did not anticipate when I left the cart. I thought I hit my drive really well. Head-on wind decided otherwise. Now I have 165 left to the hole, all very uphill, into a 20 mph wind. I needed at least a hybrid in those conditions, but, the strongest club I brought was a 5i, never thinking I would even need that much club. So, I tried to force a 5i to go further than I knew possible up that hill, into that wind. 20 yards short of the green. All because it was CPO and 20 mph. I don't enjoy playing in those conditions IF I am not using the correct clubs for the job. Had I been walking/carrying, I wouldn't have lost all interest in the round on the first hole as I did yesterday.

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:57 am

The world looks exactly like an oatmeal cookie this morning. Lightly iced. Want to take a big bite out of it.

We had a very good January golf run. Even the mitten got in on some. And it's looking pretty likely that we'll be checking off February as well. :ohyeah
A golfball wizard's

DougE

Post by DougE » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:23 am

9 rounds in Jan for me. Not 17 like last year, but still quite good for January. Planning on 1st round of February on Thursday. 49* forecast. Guess we'll need a new Feb thread.