January Golf!

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Re: January Golf!

Post by legitimatebeef » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:23 am

I am not really a fan of couples golf in theory. It happens to work for me. I have a better time and usually play to a satisfactory level. Helps that Ms Beef is a gamer, tries really hard, and has some semblance of ability. I think her presence creates a sort of buffer between me and the outside world--I tend to focus on her experience and maybe that keeps me from focusing on this asshole or that asshole and why the hell are they taking so long etc. I coach her pretty intensely throughout but we have a great time. I don't micromanage, I give broad cues like "shift your weight forward" or "hit this like a big chip". So far it works. Our goal for her now is to break 100. She is totally capable and when she does it, it will prove definitely that I am a decent teacher of beginning golf. The only thing I don't like is whenever I have to yell at some fuckface or give them the business, she tends to get flustered. I suppose that's most civilized ladies though, hate confrontation. I'm sure eventually she will come to understand the rough and tumble world of NYC muni golf and why I need to be so, uh, direct with certain people.
Build a bridge and get over it.

gpickin

Post by gpickin » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:56 am

My mistake was I wanted to give her some advice, since she topped a few, but she didn't ask for it :P
She thinks I'm too competitive to play with, which I don't think I am, but I guess compared to some I am, but its with myself.

I just hope she gives me another chance, i think we could have a lot of fun golfing, we have so many other great experiences, but I'm not pushing it, I'm ok to golf alone or with friends.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:05 pm

Mrs. Bogey enjoys walking the course. She could be good if she would work at it but she doesn't care enough. Her short game has been lacking which drives me crazy, but she did try harder on that this year. Post move bought her some nicer clubs and she now enjoys it more, but she doesn't play unless it is +70 degrees.

Speaking of which, 6 rounds in December and 6 in January so that part of the move has been great. Supposed to be 60's this weekend although it may rain a day. Told the Mrs. the other day that a headhunter had called trying to lure me back north - her response was, "no, we are not going back to that weather."

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:23 pm

January golf is back on the menu guys. Even in the frozen mitten.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:25 am

Absolutely gorgeous here today, for January a stunning day. After 18 years in NJ, never even thought that courses would be open on New Years Day but they are. Alas, I wore my self out yesterday and made other plans. Today would have been a better day to play but who knew?

DougE

Post by DougE » Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:41 pm

I played today. Cold and windy. Tomorrow too. 52* and sun. It might be a little busy. 58* and rain showers forecast for Friday. That might be the best day of them all. Rain should scare some away. Not me.

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:48 pm

I think I am ahead of Doug for rounds on the year (probably the only time all year to say it.) I got two rounds in today.
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Post by bkuehn1952 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:49 pm

Have to see if the snow is going to melt. :fkno
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

DougE

Post by DougE » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:07 am

srogers13 wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:48 pm
I think I am ahead of Doug for rounds on the year (probably the only time all year to say it.) I got two rounds in today.
Yep. You are ahead, 2 to 1. :thumbs

But it's only the first inning. ;)

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:27 am

I was one of the first people to play golf in the new decade. It was brutal, 40 degrees with 25 mph winds, soft wet course. Barely broke a hundred. Fuck all.

DougE

Post by DougE » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:08 am

@srogers13 Two days into 2020 and two rounds played. We're tied, unless you played another already.
A little rain today, but headed out for round three. You're making me work. Weekend looks like a washout here so, you can keep up if your weather is better. Play well.

DougE

Post by DougE » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:16 am

legitimatebeef wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:27 am
I was one of the first people to play golf in the new decade. It was brutal, 40 degrees with 25 mph winds, soft wet course. Barely broke a hundred. Fuck all.
@legitimatebeef Seriously Beef, since you like to play when others won't, you really should consider a cart cover for those windy, cold days when even walking/carrying won't keep you comfy. I don't always use mine unless it's really uncomfortable out there. And, when I put the propane heater inside too, I can play at 32* if the course is open and the wind is calm. Or 40* with 15-20 mph. It's a wonderful thing.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:02 am

DougE wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:16 am
legitimatebeef wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:27 am
@legitimatebeef Seriously Beef, since you like to play when others won't, you really should consider a cart cover for those windy, cold days when even walking/carrying won't keep you comfy. I don't always use mine unless it's really uncomfortable out there. And, when I put the propane heater inside too, I can play at 32* if the course is open and the wind is calm. Or 40* with 15-20 mph. It's a wonderful thing.
Not trying to be a tough guy, but I am okay in such conditions. Anyways a cart cover isn't do-able much of the time as I often get to the course via bicycle and public transit. When it gets really extreme I cover head and face with a down-insulated hood and it keeps me comfortable. And also the Wintersof's have been a game changer. That little tee holder on the left hand has become indispensable, couldn't imagine playing wintergolf without it.

DougE

Post by DougE » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:41 am

@legitimatebeef Don't forget a hammer to get that little tee into the ground when it gets really cold.

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:43 pm

DougE wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:08 am
@srogers13 Two days into 2020 and two rounds played. We're tied, unless you played another already.
A little rain today, but headed out for round three. You're making me work. Weekend looks like a washout here so, you can keep up if your weather is better. Play well.
Some of us work for a living, and don't usually get to play during the week. And the rain heading your way has been here yesterday and today. But plan on two rounds this weekend.
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:23 pm

Happy new year, you lot. Am surprised to be feeling this but I am fairly gay about golf right now. Yea, the game is hard and improvement sometimes seems so far away, if not im-possible, but long as I am physically able, might as well keep this shit up.

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:37 pm

I got a round in today. Not my best scoring (85) but the course played long.
Let's Play 36

DougE

Post by DougE » Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:06 pm

srogers13 wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:43 pm
DougE wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:08 am
Some of us work for a living, and don't usually get to play during the week. And the rain heading your way has been here yesterday and today. But plan on two rounds this weekend.
I work. (See: www.dougely.net) I just do the majority of that work when it doesn't conflict with my golf schedule. Priorities. ;)

CeeBee

Post by CeeBee » Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:10 pm

I work too. Golf is my ‘job’. Anyway it sure feels like work.
Tee it up!

DougE

Post by DougE » Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:29 am

Good start to January. Played 18 everyday so far. But today, Sunday, well it's 34 degrees with 20 mph wind. I think I may take my first day off of the year. (I might practice a few holes though if it gets up closer to 40.) Tomorrow seems the better choice. 45 and sun, with less wind. Hope y'all can get out there!

CeeBee

Post by CeeBee » Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:38 pm

I played but wish I didn’t. Brutal wind.
Tee it up!

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:09 pm

I've decided that the dividing line here around course busyness is golf turtlenecks - if it's cold enough to wear one, I have the course to myself. If it's warmer, then they are lots of golfers out there - these TN people don't seem to own turtlenecks like the ex-NJ person does.

Close to 60 yesterday and course was too busy. In addition, course was prime winter conditions - soft and muddy with 2 club winds. Somehow I muddled through, or muddy through, and put together enough decent shots and short game to have a decent round, which means that considering conditions it was a good round. Didn't feel good though with the wind beating you up constantly.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:29 am

Chance to sneak out this afternoon, 42 degrees and light winds. :ohyeah

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:05 pm

Neshanic is ALWAYS windy.

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:34 pm

I decided partly sunny and 40 degrees was too nice to stay home. Good choice. There was just enough breeze to help or hurt a shot but the weather was spectacular for January. And … not a single person on the course other than me. I was a bit concerned that the ground and greens would be frozen but the sun help thaw everything enough to play the ball down and hit greens.

I really do not understand why no one was on the course. Near the end I saw one person playing their 2nd hole but that was it.

I put the tee in the ground at 12:20 and was driving home before 3:00. The weather front arrived at 4:30 with snow squalls and plunging temps.
Let's Play 36