January Golf!

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

January Golf!

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:48 pm

This is a rare enough beast for us northern peoples to warrant its own goddamn thread!!!

Today, I don't need no stinking support group. For I was lucky enough to play some

JANUARY GOLF in 2018!!! :fu

The temp never got above 37. It felt great though! There were a handful, maybe 15-20 snow patches spread out around the course. And plenty of solid ice puddles. These were mostly out of play but you did have to take care when walking over them so as not to end up flat on your back. Good times! Most of the cups were empty enough to accommodate a ball. A few had ice. One of them unfortunately was completely iced over. Had to give myself a fake score but other than that it was motherfuckin' Rules of Golf golf!!!

One of the worst lies in winter golf is the resting up-against-a-twig. Gahhh I really hate that one. But I played every goddamn stupid winter lie as it, um, lay and I had a wonderful time. So glad I went out. Shot an 87 by the way, not too fuckin' shabby considering balls were bouncing off frozen turf and shit like that. You could say I made a game out of the weird ass conditions and you know what, it was a lot of fun!!! :puke You can catch a good break or two off the frozen earth. I mean, it's mostly penal, but sometimes it helps your shots too. I know this is supergay to say, but I think it is wonderful to play, nay experience golf in a wild range of conditions. If this kind of golf is any less fun than the regular season kind of golf, it is by negligible amount. If your golf-heart is pure, you will find plenty to enjoy, even when shit gets a little rough :fuckall

We are getting a dusting of snow tomorrow which means the upcoming warm weekend is now a question mark which makes me extra glad to have gotten out today. Gratitude :breaking Beyond that however the future looks murky yet promising. I am holding onto hope for yet more January golf. :school
The human race is just a chemical scum on a moderate-sized planet, orbiting around a very average star in the outer suburb of one among a hundred billion galaxies

legitimatebeef

Re: January Golf!

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:14 pm

Forecast has been upgraded to slightly gay. Now calling for rain tonight followed by "about an inch" of snow tomorrow. Weak :lolz
The human race is just a chemical scum on a moderate-sized planet, orbiting around a very average star in the outer suburb of one among a hundred billion galaxies

DougE

Post by DougE » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:03 pm

Glad to see you got out there today. Was on the edge of my seat waiting for your report. Sounds like a good time. 87 on frozen tundra. Not bad at all, particularly when you consider you PLAYED BY THE RULES in winter conditions! Impressive, but over the top. Sounds like a possible candidate for the Frozen Balls Challenge. I don't remember those rules, but mid-30s temps must offer some bonus points, no?

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:08 pm

DougE wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:03 pm
you PLAYED BY THE RULES in winter conditions! Impressive, but over the top.
Please. If I can do it so can anyone. Then again I guess it's not for everyone just like stuff like free rock climbing, or brazilian jujitsu aren't for everyone. Winter golf is a dangerous game :oh What's great about winter golf though is that you don't really have to put your body at risk. Just your ego :devil

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:27 am

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:15 am

Flurries are flurrying right now, but the day's forecast has been upgraded to "little or no accumulation" :banana

DougE

Post by DougE » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:19 am

Beef, like you, I'll play in some unfriendly conditions. Gotta do what you gotta do, right? Your photo above inspired me to go find this one of me actually NOT taking free relief, to which I was entitled, but instead hitting my 9i approach from the solid ice pack a few winters back in CT. The ground around the ice pack was extremely soft and muddy and I just felt the lie was better on the ice. Besides, I like clean lies. I had posted the picture on oobgolf at the time, I think. And FB too if memory serves, but I don't think it was ever posted here. So, here it is. BTW, hit the green and 2-putted for par.
Attachments
9 Iron onto green from Ice.jpg
9 Iron onto green from Ice.jpg (121.18 KiB) Viewed 200 times

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:31 am

Wow that's a lot of ice. A lot more than I saw yesterday. I took relief from casual ice a handful of times. In that pic I was on the green; I considered chipping but that would've been silly.

Throughout the day would I amuse myself by picking up big ice sheets and tossing and shattering them on the cart paths. Guess I was just enjoying some gay outdoor time after all that cabin fever.

DougE

Post by DougE » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:21 pm

After getting in 45 holes last week, 2 @ 18 + a 9 holer, I'm shooting to play Friday this week. 43 degrees for the high forecast. Sunny. First real playable day since last week. Saturday and Sunday in the 50s. Hope to play one or both of those days too. January won't be as fruitful for golf this year as it was last year (played 17 times in Jan 2017), but at least there will be a few rounds chalked up.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:31 am

DougE wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:21 pm
After getting in 45 holes last week, 2 @ 18 + a 9 holer, I'm shooting to play Friday this week. 43 degrees for the high forecast. Sunny. First real playable day since last week. Saturday and Sunday in the 50s. Hope to play one or both of those days too. January won't be as fruitful for golf this year as it was last year (played 17 times in Jan 2017), but at least there will be a few rounds chalked up.
What the hell is the matter with you. The month is still young, and the weather is improving. The future is unwritten, jack.

I'm planning on playing tomorrow as well :ohyeah

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:43 am

We still have snow on the ground in Hellabama, but I am planning on two rounds this weekend.
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:47 am

srogers13 wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:43 am
We still have snow on the ground in Hellabama, but I am planning on two rounds this weekend.
Thats what I'm talking about :fk

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:57 am

I have 2 rounds planned this weekend as well. We got 1" or so yesterday but have temps in the 40's today and 50's tomorrow. So it should be fine.

I have been hitting the ball into the net a lot recently but haven't seen the ball fly further than 4' since Christmas. Hopefully Friday morning I can get out to a real range before work and see what things look like.
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

jattruia

Post by jattruia » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:16 pm

I should be playing Saturday. We had a record low with a high of 29 yesterday, it's in the 40's today, and this weekend should be close to 60.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:16 pm

I looked outside and the snow is already starting to fade away. I see large patches of grass again.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:38 am

I'm en route to the course. In a horrible mood though. Woke up on the wrong side of the wrong side of the bed evidently. Just trying to keep my head down along this commute so I don't snap. Should be an interesting scorecard.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:10 pm

Brrr. Feels xtra cold today. Not a problem for this guy though. I am sweating with rage.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:23 pm

Denied. There is no snow in Manhattan so I assumed there would be none in Staten Island. Wrong. It is a goddamn winter wonderland here. Didn't even bothered walking in, just crossed the street and caught the bus going right back towards home. How pathetic is that. Go to a different part of the same city and find myself in a wholly distinct climate region. Bullcrap. There is no reason why this dump should be a part of New York City. Not one.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:46 pm

I am not (entirely) against Staten Island existing, but it should be its own incoporated city. In thr state of New Jersey. Being serious here. Intellectually, culturally it is a perfect match. Staten Island does not embody the general spirit of NYC. It embodies poverty and small mindedness and backwoods attitudes.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:12 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:46 pm
In thr state of New Jersey. Being serious here. Intellectually, culturally it is a perfect match. Staten Island does not embody the general spirit of NYC.
So I think what you are saying here is that Staten Island isn't filled with self consumed asses. :)

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:24 pm

GBOGEY wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:12 pm
legitimatebeef wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:46 pm
In thr state of New Jersey. Being serious here. Intellectually, culturally it is a perfect match. Staten Island does not embody the general spirit of NYC.
So I think what you are saying here is that Staten Island isn't filled with self consumed asses. :)
I am saying that the two cities don't belong together. I take back the last part, that was uncalled for and besides the point. Every borough has plenty of low class shitty people. It's mainly a matter of geography. SI and NJ belong together. In the eyes of the Lord they are one.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:39 pm

Are you saying SI is a "shithole" and it shouldn't be included with your city?

Hmmm that sounds familiar, can't quite put my finger on it though... :rofl

DougE

Post by DougE » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:22 pm

Played today, but when we got there we were surprised at how much wind there was (which was not forecast). At least 15 mph at noon. While on the range we were hitting directly into it with frozen range balls from overnight. Felt at least like a two-club wind. It had only gotten up to the high 30s by that time. So I half-kidding said to my regular playing partner that we might want to consider playing the white tees today, and before I could barely get the comment out of my mouth, he said YES, lets! No discussion, nothing. Just "Great idea!" So, we played the whites. First time all winter.

By the 5th or 6th hole, the temps got into the 40s and the wind dropped to 10ish. So on a few holes we played the blues, but mostly played the whites. I actually didn't enjoy it from those tees all that much. I played okay and shot a 79, but mostly due to playing the shorter tees, not because I played wonderfully. I didn't really expect much after a solid week off. I hit a few more greens than normal from the whites, in spite of the cold and wind. Struggled with the way the greens were. Some seemed much faster or slower than others. Amount of break seemed even less than last week when they were just furry, but not frozen. All were hard as a rock. Couldn't figure out how far to expect the ball to bounce on the frozen greens with my chips and pitches. I kept hitting my planned landing spots, but half the time the ball would check and the other half it would bounce a mile.

Had a lot of trouble getting a tee in the ground. Tee boxes were frozen hard about a 1/2 inch below the surface. We spent so much time just trying to get the tee in the ground, when we would stand back up we'd have to wait a bit for the blood to flow back down from our head! Got dizzy a few times. I expect it will thaw some more by my tee time tomorrow, but I am bringing a hammer and nail, just in case.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:31 pm

Wish I was out there right now. Weather is nice this weekend. Beyond that looks like the coast is clear. Odd rain day here or there. But otherwise a lot of January golf for the taking.

DougE

Post by DougE » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:01 am

It was packed Saturday. 55 degrees and sunny. They came out of the woodwork. Did a lot of waiting. Got frustrating after having the course so empty for the last couple months. We caught up with the group ahead and started waiting by the 4th hole. It got worse from there as that group lost touch with the group ahead of them.

Hate to sound racist, but they were Asians. Typical. They are in their own world when they play. No one else matters. We almost had it out, but I restrained my playing partner on the 12th. We were waiting to hit our approach shots, literally 7-8 minutes in the fairway, while they played their little putting dances, reading putts from all 4 sides, walking back and forth and around like they were on Tour, reading a putt for a million bucks. Each of them did it on every putt. 2 putts each most of the times. Moving around the the green at a very casual 'I've-got-all-day' pace. This was on greens that are not even rolling close to true right now. Bumpy and furry as shit. Hard as a rock. Pins haven't been moved in a month due to the frozen ground, so the bumping over the footprints around the hole is excessive and the likelihood of slow putts staying on line only at about 50/50. And these idiots are playing them like they are at Augusta in April. So we are getting a wee bit frustrated standing there waiting on them, particularly since the group on the par 5 13th are all up near that green either chipping or putting. No excuse.

In any case, as they finally finish out, put the flag back in and begin walking to their carts, one of them decides he has to try his putt again as we are now finally getting ready to hit. No rush on his part. Let me check this read again. Not that it took that long, but after waiting as long as we did, even adding another 20-30 seconds to our wait is outrageous. That was just total disregard for other golfers and, in my opinion, a cultural deficiency.

I hit as he was finally walking back to his cart, when he was just a bit right of the green. My shot was with a 3W into the wind. It was somewhat online to where he was walking at the time, but alas, I knew the wind would not allow the ball to make it far enough to send my strong message. He was clueless. My partner was livid. I calmed him down. January 20 and we are already having slow play wars.