January Golf!

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Re: January Golf!

Post by legitimatebeef » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:42 am

Doug don't you pay decent money to play at that dump? Don't they have at least one old geezer in a cart riding around the course reminding people to pick up the pace? (Yeah I know they are sometimes called "rangers" or "marshalls" but give me motherf'n break. Do these people really deserve to share a job title with people who actually carry weapons and deal with actual danger. GTFO :fuckall )

You should stomp into the president's office and throw a shit fit and complain that you are paying so-called "membership dues" for muni golf. You can get that kind of third-rate experience at any old shitty golf course for a fraction of the price. I am angry now. Leaving it up to customers to sort out their own beefs over slow play is not just bad business it's also a recipe for assaults, injuries and criminal charges etc. These stupid-idiot golf courses have the moral high ground and they never use it. It's so easy and so cut-and-dry to catch people in the act of slow play and when they are caught, people have no excuse. But they just keep letting it slide. And slide and slide.

In fifty years or so, I'm confident that six hours will be the norm for 18 holes. :banana
A golfball wizard's
got such a supple wrist-cock

jattruia

Post by jattruia » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:26 am

Managed to get out this weekend in over a month with highs in the 60's. The range was closed which was disappointing. So i chipped for a bit and headed to the first tee with my partner. I had absolutely no expectations for this round, so bagged a few beers and went out to have fun and just get to swinging a club again.

It all started off as could be expected...birdied a pretty easy par 5, bogied an annoying par 3, then went double, double. Felt about right. From there though, i parred the next 10 of 11 (3 putt bogey after 9 straight pars) and ended up with a pretty tidy 79 (+7) after a double and first penalty on 18. It was pretty busy being the first nice weekend in a month, plus a frost delay. BUT, the groups moved along pretty well, and the pace never really slowed.

I know January golf is very different here in atlanta than up north, but i feel like the whole east coast has been feeling this winter. Hoping this is a start of a good '18 season.

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:47 am

So 36 holes this weekend. The first round was changed to a 2 man scramble due to snow on the course still.

How long should a 2 man scramble take when no one else is on the course but our group of 20 teams? Apparently just under 5:45. :fk
The next day was a shamble, this one was a speedy 5:25 to finish. I like competitive golf, but this crap is insane. I said something to the guy who runs it Sunday morning. He kind of had a "what the hell can I do" type of attitude. It was pretty annoying, and made it clear to me that I'm not going to enter these tournaments again.

Anyways, I had a very odd 36 holes. I struck the ball really well and very consistently with my irons. By this I mean center of the club face. Unfortunately I had the club face closed at impact resulting in a pull hook. Not your normal pull hook though, the kind where to hit the center of the green with a lob wedge I'm aiming 40 yards right of the green. My 7i was easily 40-60 yards left of target the entire time. Lets not even talk about driver. The one good one I hit was on the 18th which is a carbon copy of #18 at TPC Stadium course (where they play the players). I was aimed right of the fairway by about 20 yards. I hit a beautiful pull hook that left us 140 into the green (about 100 yards left of my target line). Best drive I've ever hit on that hole. For the most part I couldn't get driver up in the air with the club face that closed, but unless you hit some snow the ball was running hard. When you've hit a cut for 30ish years it's really hard to feel comfortable over the ball when you are lined up 50 yards right of the target. I was really excited on the last hole when I put 2 balls dead straight into the lake on the right, exactly where I was aimed. Went to the range this morning and proceeded to pull hook 40-45 out of the 50 balls I hit.

I have no clue why my club face is so closed, but good news is my path is square (according to the divots I take), and contact is flush and consistent. So I got that going for me.
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:59 pm

jasonfish11 wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:47 am
I have no clue why my club face is so closed
I hate to bring this up but I would feel remiss if I didn't at least suggest that maybe it's a habit picked up while whacking bawlz into a net.
A golfball wizard's

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:21 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:59 pm
jasonfish11 wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:47 am
I have no clue why my club face is so closed
I hate to bring this up but I would feel remiss if I didn't at least suggest that maybe it's a habit picked up while whacking bawlz into a net.
This has crossed my mind too.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:27 pm

Nothing that can't be figured out surely. Tiger Woods, who some say is the greatest of all time, hit lots of balls in the garage of his childhood home. No doubt he learned a thing or two in there.
A golfball wizard's

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:36 pm

Pull hooks - for me it typically is either ball position too forward (non driver) or taking the club to the inside on the backswing (driver and longer clubs). All too familiar with this problem.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:36 am

GBOGEY wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:36 pm
Pull hooks - for me it typically is either ball position too forward (non driver) or taking the club to the inside on the backswing (driver and longer clubs). All too familiar with this problem.
Oh man after 3 straight days of 90%+ pull hooks. I went to the range this morning and pull hooked my first 3-4 balls. Then I hear your voice in my head (I've never heard you so I made up what it sounds like). I took the club way outside (felt like it to me probably wasn't actually "way" outside). Then hit a ball that started on line with a small fade. I proceeded to do this with the rest of the bucket, with one exception on my driver where I smothered it after my foot slipped in transition. Hell I even hit 2-3 near slices with my driver, which there was 0% chance of that over the last 3 days.

On the last ball I decide I'm going to attempt to intentionally hit a draw starting it at the far right flag on the range and bring it back a little. I absolutely crushed a 7i that started right at the pole and drew back 5-8 yards. This could have been the best shot I've hit in a long time. Center of the club face and if I traced the ball flight in my mind the ball itself would have looked like it was pinned to that line.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:53 am

Today is too cold and too windy to play golf.

For most people.

:fu
A golfball wizard's

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:40 pm

Today would be perfect for golf, if it were possible to play
I'm gonna hit a provisional
HCP Index :facepalm

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:55 pm

Gotta find somebody to tee it up with Saturday. My golf friend network is non existent right now.

DougE

Post by DougE » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:33 pm

I'm available. C'mon up!

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:49 pm

I got tee times Saturday and Sunday. Probably warmer here...LOL
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

DougE

Post by DougE » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:55 pm

Montgomery, AL: Saturday, Afternoon Light Rain/62 High
Frederick, MD: Saturday, Mostly Sunny/59 High

Your call JFurr.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:01 pm

Cold, windy n wet out there. Some of the toughest conditions to date, so I thought I would have the whole place to myself like I did last time.

Today reminds me that there is much more to how cold it feels than just the mercury reading. Last time I came out, the temperature was lower, in the mid 30s but it felt wonderful. Today on the other hand was a challenge. I even brought out a disposable hand warmer.

I tripled the first hole, and then the third as well. :facepalm Was pretty annoyed, but not despairing. Even though it may not feel like it in the moment, I have to trust that my play will eventually improve, the feel for the game will improve as I warm up. After all, that is almost always what has occurred in past rounds. You have to disregard the feelings and trust the empirical evidence in other words. You are a recreational golfer, I tell myself, golf's not your main occupation so maybe you need like, a few minutes to find your crumby stroke. Douche.

Sure enough I started making pars and bogeys. Some scratchy, some really nice. More next level shots. The conditions were soaking wet, very testing. I made a quad on a really soaked hole on the back nine but also a handful of solid bogeys and some eye opening pars. Finished at 88, not too bad considering a quad, two triples, some doubles. I will be honest, after that start I am very relieved to still break 90.

Felt so good apparently that I went for the bonus nine. Played out of my mind, still can't quite believe it but got around the front in 38 strokes. Played every shot including putts very fast. Ran a lot to and from the cart too. But I tried hard to focus over the ball and make quality swipes. Did an okay job. Patience was tested--landed in divots on the last two holes. The first was brutal but the second I actually flew over the green. From there I put a tricky sidehill chip over a bunker to four feet and made the putt. Unreal! It gets even crazier. I did all that, the final nine, in 46 minutes. :bawl I feel like I am pushing the very limits of speed golf out there. And to shoot 38, in these conditions, is unreal. I need to have a shower and reflect. Hard to believe still.
A golfball wizard's

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:02 pm

DougE wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:55 pm
Montgomery, AL: Saturday, Afternoon Light Rain/62 High
Frederick, MD: Saturday, Mostly Sunny/59 High

Your call JFurr.
My tee time is the first tee time at 8am, will be done in plenty of time to enjoy other pursuits.
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

DougE

Post by DougE » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:10 pm

Okay. You win. You get JFurr!

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:01 pm

High 30s with light winds tomorrow. No choice but to get it on.
A golfball wizard's

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Post by bkuehn1952 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:58 pm

Our snow cover has disappeared and today the temps got up to 49 degrees. My winter "go to" course, Fox Hills, was closed. I needed to do SOMETHING as these days are fairly rare. So off to Huron Hills and their "flat seven". The ground was still extremely firm so hitting a green resulted in an adventure. The driving distance, however, were greatly enhanced.

#1 Hole with the World's slowest twosome. They were on the tee with no one in front of them when I drove up. I got my bag out of the car, put on my shoes, went inside, paid $5.00 and then went back out to get my bag. They were still standing on the tee. I walked over and say on the bench and they finally started meandering down the fairway. I thought, "I got to get ahead of these two" and decided to go around the clubhouse and start on #3. Oops, a twosome was walking to #3 green. So I waited and finished #1 about 20 minutes later. The 2 turtles asked if I wanted to play through. YES!!!!. :yess Off I went.
IMG_2247.JPG
IMG_2247.JPG (1.06 MiB) Viewed 862 times
I finished my "7" and thought about going around again but there were 3 foursomes waiting to tee off. So I sat in the sun a bit and then went home. :thumbs
IMG_2248.JPG
IMG_2248.JPG (1.07 MiB) Viewed 862 times
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

DougE

Post by DougE » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:13 pm

So, how'd you hit 'em after your forced layoff?

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:47 pm

Well shit look who just got thawed out. January golf in the mitten, awright.

Turf looks better than ours. :fkno
A golfball wizard's

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:47 pm

Never got above 40 today. Shot an 88. Same old shit, some big blow up holes early, then white-knuckle it in trying to break 90. It'd be nice to shoot better scores obviously but the conditions are crazy, what can you do. Some of the turf is frozen solid, some of it's thawed. You never know til you hit it. :bawl

Scoring wise it's whatevs. But it was a good round for advancing my swing. Made some feel-breakthroughs and furthered my understanding of my bad tendencies, specifically overswing and arm lift. Still fascinated by my own swing journey and evolution. Perhaps this will never end. :puke
A golfball wizard's

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:52 pm

DougE wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:13 pm
So, how'd you hit 'em after your forced layoff?
Not too poorly. This time of year if I hit a couple well, that is about all I can expect. It is more like walking around with a golf bag than real golf.
Let's Play 36

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:55 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:47 pm
Well shit look who just got thawed out. January golf in the mitten, awright.

Turf looks better than ours. :fkno
Yes, we have a few days of temperate weather and then back into the freezer. Your observation about the turf is spot on. Even the greens, while mostly concrete, looked good and actually rolled well.
Let's Play 36

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:40 pm

Teeing off tomorrow at 8:40! I wonder what it will feel like