January Golf!

Duke of Hazards

Re: January Golf!

Post by Duke of Hazards » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:34 pm

DougE wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:14 am
Duke of Hazards wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:46 pm
I have leather grips and although they were expensive, they're very durable and grippy. I don't think I'll have to replace them for a long time. Doug - have you tried leather? Maybe try one on a spare club or something. They install a little differently than rubber, btw.
I have tried leather. I was 14 or 15 years old at the time, though. At least, I'm assuming it was leather. They were cheap clubs. Maybe it was faux-leather. Who knows? Either way, back then, it could have been made of cheese cloth and I would not have known the difference. Seriously though...

I like to be able to really feel the texture of a grip, without having to grip it with any pressure. From those I have seen, most modern leather options don't offer me that feel. That of a corded/heavily textured one. I love the texture of the Golf Pride MCC New Decade grips. They're perfect for me. Even when they are somewhat worn, I can still feel the texture. I have tried all different grips, up until I settled on the MCCs, about 7 or 8 years ago. They are me. I have probably purchased 250 MCCs since I started playing them, plus every new club I order, I specify MCC mids on the order.

As far as durability, some of the leather ones are probably better than most rubber grips, but with how much I play, I can't imagine I wouldn't burn through those either. I usually don't wear a glove in the warmer weather so, I suspect, the leather would wear faster on my top hand position. Most people would look at my MCCs after 25 or 30 rounds and never notice they are in dire need of replacement. But, everything's relative. I'm usually itchin' to change my grips after a month and a half. At least on my wedges and driver.

I will admit, I have seen some sharp looking leather grips. Maybe you are right, it wouldn't hurt to try some on extra clubs. (God knows I have plenty!) Can't give an honest assessment without trying them out, right?
Yeah, the leather grips of 2019, like everything else, have advanced in the last 4 decades. The ones I have are micro perforated and infused with a compound that produces tack. It turns out the chemical compounds used to create the tacky feel dissipate in rubber grips much faster than leather. I wipe these down with water every couple rounds and the tack springs back. I've played New Decade grips and while they're good for rubber, all rubber grips feel slick to me after using these.

https://bestgrips.com/products/microper ... -golf-grip
Bluto did it

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:50 pm

We had a two and half hour frost delay this morning, but it did warm up (relatively speaking) pretty fast. One of my partners was upset because they initially thought we were going to be out by 10, he paid, then they announced 10:30. He said if he had not paid, he would not have played. So naturally, he gets a hole in one, that bastard. But, free drinks for me.
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

DougE
dogs: 1

Post by DougE » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:59 pm

Duke, funny, before you sent that link, I had looked around for leather grips, just to see what's new and available. Turns out, I had already decided BestGrips seemed to offer some of the best options. I thought the infused tackiness compound was interesting. I'm curious as to feedback in the hands. Their marketing says it's as good or better than rubber. Feeling is believing. I may try one on an extra AP2-712 5i I have hanging around, which isn't part of any of the other full sets I have around the garage.

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Post by bkuehn1952 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:08 pm

srogers13 wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:50 pm
...free drinks for me...

:yess
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:02 pm

Below zero last night, tomorrow 40-something degrees. Course probably hard as a glacier right now but if they are willing to open I might be willing to pay a green fee.
Build a bridge and get over it.

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:27 pm

Of course, there is also ...
FEBRUARY GOLF :yess
Let's Play 36

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:02 pm

Snuck out today. Started out cold and warmed up to about 45. Turf is like concrete now. Yet the greens are not rolling fast. Creates a sensory illusion. Underfoot it feels like glass. But they are rolling more or less same slow speed as pre-freeze. So I putted awful. Couldn't break 90. Hit several ice-skulls. Had a good time at least, made a few good plays. Fuck this shit. Feb golf is looking very likely.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:18 pm

Triple bonus today. First bonus - the forecast changed two days ago - 50 instead of high 30's. 2nd bonus - my wife meets a lady two days ago. Tells her we are new to town and her husband is a golf nut. The other woman tells her that her husband is a golf nut and is going to invite me to play the best course in the area (just made Golf Digest top 200) - so I played there today. 3rd bonus - played reasonably well with an 84 on a 72.6/141 course - 5 DBs was only bad spot.

DougE

Post by DougE » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:42 pm

GBOGEY wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:18 pm
Triple bonus today. First bonus - the forecast changed two days ago - 50 instead of high 30's. 2nd bonus - my wife meets a lady two days ago. Tells her we are new to town and her husband is a golf nut. The other woman tells her that her husband is a golf nut and is going to invite me to play the best course in the area (just made Golf Digest top 200) - so I played there today. 3rd bonus - played reasonably well with an 84 on a 72.6/141 course - 5 DBs was only bad spot.
:thumbs , :thumbs , :thumbs

gpickin

Post by gpickin » Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:31 pm

I managed to sneak out today.
My new found driving fix didn’t work lol but had an interesting round.

Was 7 over through 8 and then tripled 9.
Was 16 over through 16 and went double quad to finish.

Still 7 pars, 2 bogeys was good,
6 doubles, 2 triples and a quad not good.
Still at a 22 handicap, it’s a 94 gross 72 net, not shabby.

My brother is a 10 right now and I beat him scratch so i will take it.

MattF

Post by MattF » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:58 am

GBOGEY wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:18 pm
:up :claps
Throw me another ball will ya!

MattF

Post by MattF » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:59 am

gpickin wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:31 pm
I managed to sneak out today.
My new found driving fix didn’t work lol but had an interesting round.

Was 7 over through 8 and then tripled 9.
Was 16 over through 16 and went double quad to finish.

Still 7 pars, 2 bogeys was good,
6 doubles, 2 triples and a quad not good.
Still at a 22 handicap, it’s a 94 gross 72 net, not shabby.

My brother is a 10 right now and I beat him scratch so i will take it.
:up :claps
Throw me another ball will ya!

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:09 am

Gonna try to walk 18 holes today. My thighs are burning from all the squats/lunges I've been doing. See how this goes.
Keep it short stupid.

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:32 am

Hear hear! Jolly good boys.
Bluto did it

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:46 pm

jasonfish11 wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:09 am
Gonna try to walk 18 holes today. My thighs are burning from all the squats/lunges I've been doing. See how this goes.
Need to shoot -3 through the last 4 to break 90. It's a sweat haha
Keep it short stupid.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:17 pm

jasonfish11 wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:46 pm
jasonfish11 wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:09 am
Need to shoot -3 through the last 4 to break 90. It's a sweat haha
Smooth 96.

Enough said.
Keep it short stupid.

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:49 pm

I am happy to see some of our guys are out there playing. We are preparing for another "snow event". :fk
Let's Play 36

DougE

Post by DougE » Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:25 pm

After getting everything prepared for my trip today, I snuck out an hour before dark and walked 6 holes. Finally. First holes in nearly three weeks. 40 degrees and cloudy. Muddy, yet frozen just under the mud, about a half inch down. Greens were solid as a rock, but not very fast. Chipped in from just off the back of the green for bird on the first hole I played. Parred the rest of the holes. I'm quite happy with -1 through 6 after a 19-day lay off. It was psychologically good to see and feel the ball going in the hole, before heading off to play in Florida.

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:35 pm

Got my 11th round of January golf in today. Shot a blah 88, but am wondering how much of an equipment problem I was having. Beginning on the 9th hole, I hit some solid shot that seem to not go as far as i was expecting. Ham and egged my way for a few holes, and as I was getting ready to tee off on 15, I saw a nice little cut through the cover of the ball I was using. Swapped out golf balls, and immediately got my distance back.
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:46 pm

This thread is bursting with excitement. I am glad to say I also got out. Marine Park with Ms Beef. First three holes were so windy and cold. I felt bad for dragging her out into this mess, making other people suffer on account of my golf sickness. But afternoon sun came out, winds sat down a little. It was great! Marine Park is right out on the Atlantic Ocean so its kind of brutal but on the other hand their greens are the best, so smooth for this time of year. 51 on the front but I hung in there and shot 40 on the back. Even over the last six holes. Last approach shot I stuck a six-iron from 127 yards to 5' behind the hole. That sounds like such a weak distance but fuckin shit, it is brutal out there. Ms. Beef shot a 109, very proud of her. She played the par 3s in +3. Most importantly she had fun. I had fun. We played fast. Winter golf is the best motherfucker!!1 :fkno

gpickin

Post by gpickin » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:58 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:46 pm
This thread is bursting with excitement. I am glad to say I also got out. Marine Park with Ms Beef. First three holes were so windy and cold. I felt bad for dragging her out into this mess, making other people suffer on account of my golf sickness. But afternoon sun came out, winds sat down a little. It was great! Marine Park is right out on the Atlantic Ocean so its kind of brutal but on the other hand their greens are the best, so smooth for this time of year. 51 on the front but I hung in there and shot 40 on the back. Even over the last six holes. Last approach shot I stuck a six-iron from 127 yards to 5' behind the hole. That sounds like such a weak distance but fuckin shit, it is brutal out there. Ms. Beef shot a 109, very proud of her. She played the par 3s in +3. Most importantly she had fun. I had fun. We played fast. Winter golf is the best motherfucker!!1 :fkno
Awesome beef.
I wish my wife would come play with me.
I am starting with the kids, so maybe that will draw her in. She played a lot more than me in her youth.

I will hit top tracer this week, is anyone on there, can we share stats etc?

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:05 pm

srogers13 wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:35 pm
... I saw a nice little cut through the cover of the ball I was using. Swapped out golf balls, and immediately got my distance back...
About once a year this happens to me. Amazing how a small crack in the cover just kills the distance.
Let's Play 36

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:56 pm

gpickin wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:58 pm
legitimatebeef wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:46 pm
Awesome beef.
I wish my wife would come play with me.
I am starting with the kids, so maybe that will draw her in. She played a lot more than me in her youth.

I will hit top tracer this week, is anyone on there, can we share stats etc?
I tried golf with both of my boys. It didn't take. FWIW, I was introduced to golf at 13yo and didn't give 2 shits about it then, but then got into it of my own accord at age 30, and became instantly hooked. I'll keep trying every couple of years to see if they have any interest, hopefully they come around at some point.
Bluto did it

gpickin

Post by gpickin » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:18 pm

My wife had children when we met, and they hit a few balls here and there, but nothing stuck as you said.
Same with me when I was a kid, we hit balls, but it was so expensive in NZ, it rains so much, no carts, long waits, not many months you can play, it just didn't make much sense with us poor people, i played so much other sport, i only started playing when i came to the US.
I used to go to the range in high school a couple of times a year... and thought about golfing more when i had knee surgery.

Anyways, my kids are 5 and 6, and they love mini golf. I'm going to get them chipping next... trying to build one shot at a time, over time.
My wife says she doesn't care what I do, but take a kid with you and she'll care less. Honestly, she is clingy and admits it, but taking one kid out one time and the other the next time might just be good.

We'll see if it sticks... but time with Dad outside in nature, with a book for backup might be alright.
I know with my knees, it might be the only sport i can play with them down the road, my dad can't golf much himself anymore, but i did enjoy what i could with him after I moved here.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:58 am

jasonfish11 wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:17 pm
Smooth 96.

Enough said.
For the first time I can remember I went with an "anti-quint" strategy on the last hole. We started on #8 due to frost on some greens, so we finished on #7 a par 3 with water short and right (there are google maps pictures of it here somewhere). The guys I was playing with were playing the white tees so I was also playing them.

It was 130 yards to the flag (122 to cover the water) with a wind down and off the left. Had I been swinging well this is a hard GW or smooth PW. Probably PW and happy to be on the back of the green or even over it. But I had no shot of breaking 90 and I had to get down in 7 shots or less to break 100. Nothing between 91 and 99 really made any difference to me. So I bunted a 9i over the green chipped it to 15' short (hey there is water long) and 2 putted for a 4 and 96. That was basically the only thing that went according to plan all day.
Keep it short stupid.