January Golf!

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Re: January Golf!

Post by legitimatebeef » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:09 pm

Tiny window opening up early in the week. I griped about soft conditions all winterlong but expect to find a very different Earth the next time I get out there. Probably will be frozen solid and play very short. I don't care. I feel so good about my so-called swing right now, anything is possible.
Build a bridge and get over it.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:28 pm

I snuck in through that window today. Never got above 40 but sun was out and winds low. Felt quite alright out there. Ground was firm but only got a couple frozen bounces. First time at Dyker Beach in like seven months. Greens are in very rough shape. I didn't break 80 but I broke 40 on the front nine. On the back nine the greens are more shaded and thus even worse. I had five three putt bogeys coming home :facepalm Might try to get out again tomorrow, fuckin shit.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:13 pm

Fuckin shit. Went out to Dyker back to back. Didn't feel like biking down to Staten Island today. Too cold. Didn't break 40 degrees same as yesterday. A little more breeze today. Kind of a crazy round, had a quad, a triple, some doubles, but also three birdies. Sampler platter you might say :facepalm Finished with a 86, fuck you. Two of the birdies were 5-wood approach shots to 7' and 3', and happened in the span of three holes. Really good stuff :up Then again I also almost whiffed a 3-wood on the penultimate hole en route to a quad bogey. Longest hole on the course, good drive but still miles away, tried to hit the perfect low stinging 3-wood into the green and I think I made contact with the topmost dimple of the ball, and it went about 10 yards, really pathetic. The conditions are insane, I am playing the ball down, I don't care. I am having fun. :ohyeah

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:33 pm

Were you the only one golfing? 30's is pretty cold.
Bluto did it

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:09 pm

Duke of Hazards wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:33 pm
Were you the only one golfing? 30's is pretty cold.
No, I haven't been truly alone out there all season. For whatever reason, people seem to have a lower threshold lately. I have come to expect company on the course whereas I could swear it was more deserted in past winters. Today I saw around ten other people on the whole lot. Can still play in around 2.5 hours, just have to do a bit more driving and re-routing. You are right, it is cold. Strange things happen at this end of the temperature range. But I like it (obviously). I like that it is adventurous and difficult and not some polo shirt-wearing, throw back some beers, dick around with your schlubby, aging pals type of leisure activity. :onfire Anyhow it's still golf, the percentages are lower but you can still pull off cool shots and make putts and shit.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:16 pm

Was able to sneak in what is probably one last January round today. Will be 60 tomorrow but big rains expected. After that the forecast for the next two weeks is quite cold. I was just getting used to this southern living thing.

Total mud fest again today but I think I'm learning how to strike it better in the slop. Decent 77 despite not loving the way this course fits my game. Finally figured out why - the par 3's and 5's are among the harder holes. Was +5 on those 8 holes and +1 on the par 4's - that never happens. Also can't seem to make a bird on this course. Had 3 golden chances - two just short and one hit a bump near the hole - I'm blaming winter greens.

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Post by bkuehn1952 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:27 am

I am jealous. First storm of the winter today. We might get around 4-5 inches. Then some really cold weather. I spent yesterday gathering more firewood. :fkno
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:37 am

Me and the dog just got back from taking a shit outside and saw a young lady (of all people) toting a freakin' golf bag. That's right, full of golf clubs. I hadn't even thought of playing golf what with all the stupid winter storm warnings flying around. Today's going to be 39 degrees, I should totally go for it. :up

DougE

Post by DougE » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:42 am

I am assuming you mean just the dog took a shit outside. But it read differently to me.

I'd play if I were you. You may just end up sharing the course with a cute young lady golfer. That wouldn't be all that bad.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:50 am

Me and the dog are very close so I just say we. It's almost like I am taking a shit too. Anyways she wasn't that cute. And she didn't look very bundled up. Probably going to a simulator. :puke But I'm glad I saw her and got the idea. I'm about to leave for the boat in a few minutes. Sorry you can't play today Doug, I mean that :bawl

DougE

Post by DougE » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:22 pm

Looks like you may be getting some snow yourself over the weekend. And, the forecast cold ain't good either way, so I'm glad you are getting out there again. I have a feeling it will be peaceful out there for you today.

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:38 pm

Played today before the severe thunderstorms are scheduled to arrive. Played the front nine in an even par 36 (where the hell did that come from. :up :clapping ) Made the turn, crushed my drive on 10, then the rain came and made me put on my rain gear. :shock: :facepalm Shot 49 on the back with no pars until 18. :puke :bawl :wah Then it stormed as I was leaving the course.
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:21 pm

I along with maybe four other people, went too far today. Now if alls you wanted was a bit of a walk and some fresh air, it was a fine day for that. Hypothermia didn't set in or anything. But if you wanted to make pars and try to make a good score, today was a crummy day to tee it up. On the first hole my approach flew right at the pin--best feeling in golf right? Then it ice-bounced over and into the back rough. I should have known then. I landed my chip where I wanted to and somehow it stopped dead. That spot of fringe was soggy. I should have known then! But I grinded, and holed the putt from the fringe for par. I punched the air, and believed I could shoot single digits over par or something.

Next hole, nice 7-iron over the pin, another big bounce. Hundred foot birdie putt cross a green covered with goose poop. Four-putt. Should've known then. But I press on, big smile on my face, positivity and all that shit. Well over the next sixteen holes my spirit got crushed. The course was frozen wherever you needed a soft landing and soggy wherever you could've used some forward roll. Most of the greens were ice, while the fringes were soggy. So if I landed short, it would sit down, if I flew it to the green even with a p wedge... back rough. No win today. The par on the first was the only par of the day. Multiple four putts. Weird bounces. Icy lies, and soggy lies. House of horrors!

I went too far. :onfire

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:48 pm

Maybe a week from now, the mere fact that you could put a peg in the ground today will be comforting. We shoveled late this afternoon. 8 to 10 inches of, thankfully, light snow. Temps are going negative tomorrow. Going out and making bogies sounds okay.

Hey, srogers, nice first nine. You have scored well in the past so that nine should be no surprise. What followed was just nature getting in your way.
Let's Play 36

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:08 pm

I just did not feel as free with my swing after I put on my rain gear. I was playing so good, I did not consider a beer until the twelfth hole. The guy I was playing with (a regular partner) was about to quit after 13, but I gave him my second pair of rain gloves, and he loved them. The Foot Joy RainGrip, and he friggin killed the ball after not being able to hold on to the club with a regular golf glove.

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:19 pm

srogers13 wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:08 pm
I just did not feel as free with my swing after I put on my rain gear. I was playing so good, I did not consider a beer until the twelfth hole. The guy I was playing with (a regular partner) was about to quit after 13, but I gave him my second pair of rain gloves, and he loved them. The Foot Joy RainGrip, and he friggin killed the ball after not being able to hold on to the club with a regular golf glove.
I should be so lucky as to play in the rain! :thumbs

Time to toss another log on the fire and dream of warmer weather. :yess
Let's Play 36

MattF

Post by MattF » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:14 am

Just got in from clearing the driveway of 6"+ of snow...as Beef would say, fuck this shit!
Throw me another ball will ya!

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:08 am

I think we all are going to need to go to Hellabama to play for the next several weeks. Really glad I braved the mud on Friday - next 2-3 weeks looks totally unplayable even in the Mid South. On the afternoon agenda - clean clubs and consider replacing grips.

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:34 pm

Teed off at 36* and finished at 41* with a 20+mph wind.

DougE

Post by DougE » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:52 pm

GBOGEY wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:08 am
On the afternoon agenda - clean clubs and consider replacing grips.
No consideration necessary. Just replace the things. You play enough. If it's been more than a couple months, it's time.

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:46 pm

I have leather grips and although they were expensive, they're very durable and grippy. I don't think I'll have to replace them for a long time. Doug - have you tried leather? Maybe try one on a spare club or something. They install a little differently than rubber, btw.
Bluto did it

DougE

Post by DougE » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:14 am

Duke of Hazards wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:46 pm
I have leather grips and although they were expensive, they're very durable and grippy. I don't think I'll have to replace them for a long time. Doug - have you tried leather? Maybe try one on a spare club or something. They install a little differently than rubber, btw.
I have tried leather. I was 14 or 15 years old at the time, though. At least, I'm assuming it was leather. They were cheap clubs. Maybe it was faux-leather. Who knows? Either way, back then, it could have been made of cheese cloth and I would not have known the difference. Seriously though...

I like to be able to really feel the texture of a grip, without having to grip it with any pressure. From those I have seen, most modern leather options don't offer me that feel. That of a corded/heavily textured one. I love the texture of the Golf Pride MCC New Decade grips. They're perfect for me. Even when they are somewhat worn, I can still feel the texture. I have tried all different grips, up until I settled on the MCCs, about 7 or 8 years ago. They are me. I have probably purchased 250 MCCs since I started playing them, plus every new club I order, I specify MCC mids on the order.

As far as durability, some of the leather ones are probably better than most rubber grips, but with how much I play, I can't imagine I wouldn't burn through those either. I usually don't wear a glove in the warmer weather so, I suspect, the leather would wear faster on my top hand position. Most people would look at my MCCs after 25 or 30 rounds and never notice they are in dire need of replacement. But, everything's relative. I'm usually itchin' to change my grips after a month and a half. At least on my wedges and driver.

I will admit, I have seen some sharp looking leather grips. Maybe you are right, it wouldn't hurt to try some on extra clubs. (God knows I have plenty!) Can't give an honest assessment without trying them out, right?

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:25 am

It's below zero right now, and yet I still harbor hope for playing later in the week. Yes, golf. Yes, outside. Yes, in New York. You just never know with the stupid weather these days.

DougE

Post by DougE » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:40 am

legitimatebeef wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:25 am
It's below zero right now, and yet I still harbor hope for playing later in the week. Yes, golf. Yes, outside. Yes, in New York. You just never know with the stupid weather these days.
Supposed to be in the mid 40s here in Central MD on Wednesday, with rain. It's super cold right now. Feels below zero with the wind chill. It's gusting quite heavily. Coldest day of winter so far. I can't imagine the snow we have left will be gone by Wed and the course opened. So, I doubt I will get a shot to play. I am surprised you didn't get snow up there in NY from yesterday's storm. Did it go north of you? Haven't been watching the weather, other than local. Hope you can get out there later this week. Maybe I should move back north. This sucks here.

Driving back to Florida next week though. Wooo Hooo! :yess

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:30 am

legitimatebeef wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:25 am
Temps in the 40's and rain forecast for us Wednesday. You should get it Friday.
Let's Play 36