2018 Goals

jattruia

2018 Goals

Post by jattruia » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:08 am

Here we go...January golf has officially begun; the 2018 season is underway. I'm usually not one to really state concrete goals for better or for worse. I've proceeded to get better every year, and played some awesome courses. Last time i was a double digit handicap was August of 2016, and i'm currently down to around a 6. But, i'm never far off from a blow up round. So here it is, i'm putting a few goals in black and white. I'm not getting to granular, just some larger big picture goals.

1. No 90's scores - I had 8 in 2016 and 5 in 2017. There's no reason i can't always play better than bogey golf, but going a year sub 90 would be huge for me.

2. Driver Consistency - This has been my Achilles heal. When the driver is working, the scores will be low, but when it's off, it brings doubles into play immediately. This is also a confidence thing; i haven't felt comfortable over the driver most of the 2017 season so when it was working, it always felt like it was just a matter of time. 2017 had my FIR rise to 57%, so i'd like to get it over 60% with some comfort over the ball.

3. Putting - My putting has seemed to stall out around just under 32 putts per round while my GIR has leveled off around 35%. I'd like to get those to sub-31. It's certainly doable, especially if i reach my second goal and start getting in a better position off the tee.

That's it, clear and simple. Let's see what 2018 brings.

DougE
dogs: 1

Re: 2018 Goals

Post by DougE » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:10 pm

Quite similar to me J, with a few more specific goals:

Reach 6.X handicap index. Presently 7.5.

Find 10 more yards with driver, consistently.
I know it's in there, despite my advancing age, because I can do it once or twice a round. Just need to zero in on whatever is missing the rest of the drives. Likely center contact, but there must be a way to make it happen more consistently. Already have a pretty easy tempo. May need a little help from a truly capable pro.

GIRs from the blue tees over 45%.
It's over 45% already from the white tees, but I mostly play the blues where it is presently at 39%. My long clubs are getting much more consistent as a result of playing the longer yardage most of last year.

Hit 68% fairways, or more.
Presently about 60%, but was at one point over 70% back before I made some swing changes and was still driving the ball 10-20 yards less than I do regularly now. Since the swing changes, I have easily moved up to the blue tees, but the accuracy is not quite as good. I still usually have 90-100% playable drives, but the rough gets so thick and long here in summer, being in the fairway is really almost necessary. (I have had some discussions with the super recently about the thickness of the rough here and he has indicated that they would like to create a first cut, which would make a huge difference. Presently, if you roll off the fairway even a foot, you can be in "nearly-impossible-to-hit-a-clean-shot" rough. My misses often only roll in a foot or two so this first cut could save a few strokes, for sure.)

Play two or more tournaments in 2018.
I played a lot of tournaments at my last club. But this new club doesn't have a men's association so club tournaments are slim to none, even though the USGA and MSGA hold some pretty big ones here at Worthington, which include a US Open qualifier, Maryland Senior Men's Championship and a few high-visibility AJGA sanctioned events, with the Maryland Open Championship scheduled for next year here as well. I have been speaking with the pro about doing a few club tourneys this year and he seems open to it (if I help) so I may take the ball and run with it to see if I can at least help organize a few with him. Maybe a Member/Member, a Member/Guest and a Senior Club Championship

150+ rounds.
Got 197 in 2017. And with my new all-inclusive membership, if I stay healthy, that should be the easiest goal to reach. Healthy is the key word.

Organize a regular, early morning weekend group
Now that my new membership allows play at any time of day on weekends (my old membership limited me to after 12pm on weekends), I want to get a round in early on Saturdays or Sundays or both, particularly in summer before the temps get into the 90s, and still have a good part of the day left to do stuff with my wife who usually doesn't roll out of bed until noon after a long week of work. So I won't feel guilty playing on the only days she has off. (I played on weekend afternoons before, but always felt a little guilty playing mid-day when we could be doing something together.)

Play at least a couple "away" courses in the area, and beyond, each month.
Though my own club is one of the nicest and most challenging in the state of Maryland, there are some other awesome tracks within 15-20 minutes, all of which are rated in the top 10 or 20 in the mid-Atlantic. I only played a handful of "away"rounds last year, plus a Florida trip. Now that I will be saving so much with this new all-inclusive 5-year membership, I might be able to afford to do more day trips this year. Plus, I get a senior rate now at virtually all courses! :bawl

All above subject to revisions. ;)

MattF

Post by MattF » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:20 pm

For me it's as simple as play more this year. Last year was an "annus horribilis" due to a relationship implosion between myself and my wife. We are now in a good place and I hope that I'll be able to see more time on the grass.
Throw me another ball will ya!

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:55 pm

Play more, maybe shoot 82.
Bluto did it

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:00 am

Do golf things
I'm gonna hit a provisional
HCP Index :facepalm

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:34 am

jfurr wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:00 am
Do golf things
Yeah I'm with this one.
Keep it short stupid.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:35 am

Basically the same as last year:
1. Handle on course frustrations better - gotten better but still work to go
2. Maintain overall handicap between 6-8
3. Average score of 79.5 (differential of 8.2) - essentially a stroke better than last two years
4. 80% of rounds 82 or better (differential of 10.4) - averaged 70-75% last two years
5. Play a bucket list course

Key piece of my game that needs to improve for this to happen is to improve driving. Want to be 50% GIRs and 1 unplayable per round. Probably closer to 40-45% and 1.5-2.0 right now.

Also thinking about taking a different approach this year, most like the Brits - weekend rounds will be tracked for handicap and stats, mid-week rounds will be considered purely fun and practice - haven't decided on this but it's a thought.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:52 am

So I'm not sure haven't even thought about goals. To me the year doesn't begin until after my tournaments are done (Feb 24).

But what I'm finding out, I've spent a lot of time playing at a course I like due to it's cost ($20-$30) and it's generally decent shape. The downside is that it's very easy. So my handicap is NOT able to travel.

So I think some of my goals this year are to spread my golf around to different venues that are a little more challenging. The course right near my house is a former web.com tour stop and it's a Pete Dye course. Although we played a shamble on it Sunday and I was hitting the ball terribly I think I shot around a 93ish. You can probably add 5-10 to that if I were playing my own drives (4 drives would have been penalties, but I may not have made the same choice if I didn't already have a ball in the FW). So somewhere near 100. This is pretty terrible, but semi-understandable given how awful I was hitting the ball.

At my normal course if I'm hitting the ball really poorly I can't imagine shooting more than 90-92.

But the things I need to do other than that to improve my game are:
- More FW's - had a little better than 45% last year. And way less non-playable drives. My scrambling is really low (20%), but my strokes gained "short game" isn't bad. This tells me the scrambling stat isn't a result of poor chipping/pitching. It's because I don't have a chance to get my approach inside 100 yards, due to trees or penalties.
- More GIR (48% last year, I want this to be over 50%)
- Better putting specifically in the 5-20' range.
Keep it short stupid.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:17 am

Ok so I've decided on some goals.

My trending handicap is pretty awful (15.5 or 15 for last years rounds, depending on which of the handicap systems you use). I can't remember the last time it was this high.
I've been working on my "golf swing" over the last year and not really working on my golf game.

My sing isn't perfect, but its much better now in regards to consistency. It is much less timing based. There are some things I need to get cleaned up. I have new misses and might wind up finding even newer issues that I will need to understand the root cause of, and how to correct on the fly when playing a round. But I'm so much closer to focusing on my golf game than I have been in 2 years.

I'm making a proclamation. Starting now it's about my golf game not my golf swing. Obviously this doesn't mean I'm going to completely jump ship on my golf swing. But I'm going to change my focus. I'm going back to playing 3-4 holes before work (if I can) and spending less time on the range bashing balls. Although I'll still take some videos just to make sure things aren't regressing, I likely wont be sharing the journey anymore as I feel my journey is changing paths.

That being said I only have 1 goal for this year.

My handicap based on the rounds I play from today through the end of the year is 10 or better.
Also, hopefully I play 15-20 rounds between now and then. So 2 goals.

I'll see how this goes and circle back next year.
Keep it short stupid.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:32 pm

jasonfish11 wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:17 am
likely wont be sharing the journey anymore as I feel my journey is changing paths.

Vaya con dios. Safe travels. :breaking
Build a bridge and get over it.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:38 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:32 pm
jasonfish11 wrote:
likely wont be sharing the journey anymore as I feel my journey is changing paths.

Vaya con dios. Safe travels. :breaking
I didn't mean I'm leaving the site. I'm just not going to be posting much in my "just keep swimming" thread.

Hopefully there will be less swing video postings, and more round recaps.
Keep it short stupid.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:55 pm

jasonfish11 wrote:
I'm making a proclamation. Starting now it's about my golf game not my golf swing. Obviously this doesn't mean I'm going to completely jump ship on my golf swing. But I'm going to change my focus. I'm going back to playing 3-4 holes before work (if I can) and spending less time on the range bashing balls. Although I'll still take some videos just to make sure things aren't regressing, I likely wont be sharing the journey anymore as I feel my journey is changing paths.

That being said I only have 1 goal for this year.
The last two golf improvement books I've read have really focused on this point - it's not about your swing or how you hit the ball, it's about your score and getting the ball in the hole. I can be as bad as anyone who gets grumpy when I have those 3 fairway rounds - but if my short game saves me and I shoot a good score does it matter?

I finally came to the realization that my short game is my golf game. Sure I have those rounds with lots of GIRs but what really makes me an above average golfer is my ability to chip and putt. So realize that is where my strength is and be happy if the score is good.

Admittedly, this was a December book reading. I haven't had a real chance to put it to the test on a regular basis. But I'm going to try. And also, I do have other goals because improving those weaker areas will make me a better golfer. But the focus is going to be on scoring.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:09 pm

I agree with you but I think someone's short game can only get them into "ranges" of handicaps. I don't think it's possible (although Tiger is trying to prove me wrong) that you can be a PGA tour player by having the worlds best short game, but hitting it like a 5 handicap or worse.

But I completely agree that you have to figure out what your strengths are and lean on them to turn the bad rounds into something decent.

For me I feel my biggest strength is course management. Yes I'm pretty aggressive when my swing is working, but I try my best to make sure my misses are in the right spot. Example on the course I play the most hole 1 missing your tee shot right is a no no, I've made birdie from the left trees but struggle to make par from the right. On hole 2 you have a mile of room to the right, and jail to the left. Yeah if I pipe a drive down the left side of the FW I can have as little as a 7i into the green (par 5). Where as if I hit one down the right I might have 3w to get to the front edge. But if I pull the shot down that left center a little then I'm punching out and have 170+ yards into the green.

So I game plan for these shots. I can't tell you the last time I hit driver into the right trees on #1, same with the left ones on #2 (although I did pull my tee shot there this morning, but I was aimed far enough right I got away with it).

Unless something is really off in my swing (like the pull hooks) I am pretty good at completely eliminating one side of any hole. Doing this has allowed me to remove the triples and quads from my score most of the time.
Keep it short stupid.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:57 pm

jasonfish11 wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:09 pm
I agree with you but I think someone's short game can only get them into "ranges" of handicaps. I don't think it's possible (although Tiger is trying to prove me wrong) that you can be a PGA tour player by having the worlds best short game, but hitting it like a 5 handicap or worse.
I'm in agreement. My short game according to Shot by Shot is near scratch, so I don't really expect it to make me better which is why my improvement focus is elsewhere. But there are times when I need an attitude adjustment - like I said I can shoot high 70's / 80 on days when my swing struggles, especially off the tee. I tend to not appreciate those rounds as much as I should. Instead I need to remember that my short game is what gets me where I am and appreciate it. And celebrate good scores, regardless of how I make them.