New from Titleist

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Re: New from Titleist

Post by jasonfish11 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:28 pm

Also I'm just f'ing with you Doug. I know that when I buy prov1s I'm paying not just for the ball I'm hitting but the ball Jordan Spieth is hitting too. I'm sure Titleists quality control is better than mg but none of the comparison tests have indicated that, nor have I ever hit a ball that I felt was a "dud".

So I can't justify paying $30/dozen for a 3 piece urethane golf ball let alone $50/dozen.
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:31 pm

I buy used Pro Vs on eBay for a buck a ball. Cheap enough for me. Never had any issues with them. They're more readily available on the recycled market than any other brand and I like them the best.

I also take advantage of the Costco Callaway Cabretta deal. 3 gloves for $19.

I didn't set out to like Titleist but the 3 products Ive bought have won me over (balls, Vokey sand wedge, and FJ shoes).

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:39 pm

Never had much consistent success with Titleist balls so I just don't buy. Last year I traded 6 sleeves I picked up from charity events for a box of Bridgestones.

Whenever I look at clubs Titleist is always a finalist. They make great clubs. Problem is there is usually another club that is much cheaper and I usually can't tell a difference for the bucks. I'm sure someday I'll own some Titleist irons but that day hasn't come. The exception is the wedges I bought last year, but even that was partly due to availability. But I've become a Titleist wedge fan.

I love their gloves (or Footjoys) even through they are pricey. Like the shoes but open to other brands as well.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:00 pm

I use to buy AAA used prov's then one batch had a couple that were water logged. Never again will I buy used balls

MattF

Post by MattF » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:37 pm

I'll stick with my Snell MTB as good a ball (designed by the man that helped design the Pro V) at near half the price, especially now that their new 4 piece ball comes out in March.
Throw me another ball will ya!

DougE

Post by DougE » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:56 am

MattF wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:37 pm
I'll stick with my Snell MTB as good a ball (designed by the man that helped design the Pro V) at near half the price, especially now that their new 4 piece ball comes out in March.
I have found and played a few Snell balls in the past. They seem like very good balls and I don't begrudge you for playing them and saving a bunch of cash. (Same for MG balls.) Snell has a good following by some very good players as seen on WRX, and I'm sure they offer a great alternative to higher-priced, Tour-level, mainstream balls. However, don't be impressed by the fact that Dean Snell was partially responsible for the original ProV design. That design is long out-dated. I'm sure the Snell ball is far better now than it once was too. All it means is that Dean Snell has experience working on top of the line golf balls. Well, I should hope so, if that is his business designing and making them now. (Unlike the guys at Vice.) There are others who also worked on the ProV who have gone on to work for TM, Callaway and other big market ball producers. All that said, the info I have read about the new MTB sounds great and I would not be surprised at all if Snell continues to bring in new and better players with this newest model. They, more than MG, are making some noise in the ball market, for sure.

The Snell ball is a good choice, as is the MG-C4. Both are fine urethane covered "Tour-level" balls that offer a nice feel and good results. I haven't played the Snell enough to form a solid opinion. Though you don't mention the MG-C4, it too has made a little noise. My personal experience with it was good, though I never noticed any more distance with it than I did with a Pro V, back when I played the C4 more often---maybe 3 or 4 years ago. It seemed very comparable distance-wise to a Pro V from that year for me, but, maybe that is a result of my slower 93-95 mph driver swing speed. I was able to spin them on some greens with my wedge shots, which was a plus. I have been playing the new 2017 model Pro V1 since it was released, and have seen a slight distance increase with it over the previous model. I thought it was that my swing got better---which it did---but realized I was hitting everything further, no matter what balls I played. Even range balls. Then, the AVX came out and I was clearly getting better distance with it than even my Pro V1 on solid strikes off good swings.

Just last week, I put a brand new MG-C4 into play for the first time in a very long time. I got them from my sister-in-law for Christmas, because 4 years ago, I happened to mention them to her as an alternative to paying 46 bucks for Pro Vs as she did the Christmas before. So this year, she decided to get me a box. (She didn't know I had long moved on from them.) Rather than return them, I just figured I'd use them up during the winter. I know they are good balls from experience. After putting one in play, expecting results like I had when I last played them, I was somewhat disappointed by the feel and distance I got with them. I played one for about 4 or 5 holes and finally changed it out for an AVX and saw an immediate increase in distance off the driver, as well as irons too. My thought was that the MG-C4 may have been equal to the ProV a few years ago, but I don't feel that it is anymore. Maybe their technology has not kept up with Titleist's extensive R&D. My feeling on the C4 now is the same as it is on a 2014 Pro V now. It's a good ball, but is not equal to the newest versions on the market today. Maybe I'm wrong, but based on my previous experience 4 years ago with them and my experience with them last week, that is MY present opinion. Still a good ball with a soft urethane cover and well worth the $19.99/doz. price tag.

Yes, I am a Titleist guy, but I can appreciate quality products from other manufacturers. I am not a scratch golfer and never will be. But, I play more than enough to know what feels good to me and what works for me. I test all sorts of balls when not playing official rounds and I am open to trying anything for the fun of it. I have tried TP5, Chrome Soft, E6s, RXs, Srixon Q and Z Stars and many other really nice performing balls. I like some better than others for different reasons.

This year, only two balls raised my eyebrows more than usual in their performance off driver and irons: The Titleist AVX and.....the MG Senior! Yes the Senior is an awesome ball if you are playing for fun, but it is not conforming. So since I can't play that (nor would I want to around the greens), I'll put the AVX up against any other ball on the market, INCLUDING a 2017 model Pro V1. Straight, cuts through the wind, spins like a ProV around the greens, feels softer than a ProV.

BTW, I still love my ProVs, but I am having a bit of an affair with the AVX.

DougE

Post by DougE » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:12 am

I know, I talk too much.

MattF

Post by MattF » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:58 am

DougE wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:12 am
I know, I talk too much.
:rofl

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:22 pm

DougE wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:12 am
I know, I talk too much.
I want to know how and when DougE learned how to use Talk to Type? :lolz
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

DougE

Post by DougE » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:18 pm

Hell, if you guys are sick of my long-winded posts, I can only imagine the shit I'd get if I could actually use 'talk to type.' As it is, your eye rolls everytime you see one of my posts are felt by me like voodoo doll pins. I need to write a column for someone who gives a shit. (Unfortunately, that market is only about 1 person strong.) :facepalm

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:29 pm

I was actually trying to picture you hunt and pecking typing that post.

DougE

Post by DougE » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:25 pm

srogers13 wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:29 pm
I was actually trying to picture you hunt and pecking typing that post.
I may not be able to play golf very well, but I can type like an office secretary! :thrust

DougE

Post by DougE » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:42 am

Yes, another long post from me. It's winter, buck up and read it if you dare (or are twiddling your thumbs like me).

Evidently, Callaway is taking issue with Titleist's advertising of the new Tour Soft ball. Titleist claims it is longer than ChromeSoft. Typically, Titleist doesn't make claims that can't easily be backed up. (It's partially why they have the good reputation they do and why Taylormade has the sort of Donald Trumpish reputation it does---17 yards longer, yeah, right---at least from a marketing perspective.) And Callaway doesn't say Titleist is full of shit in their claim, but rather, says it's not apples to apples, since ChromeSoft is a urethane-covered, 4-piece Tour ball and Tour Soft is a mid-level, 2-piece, non-urethane covered ball. Hmmm. That doesn't sound like much of an argument. So let me get this straight. Their best ball is being beaten off the tee in distance by Titleist's 3rd level ball and they are complaining that it isn't fair to judge since one is a Tour ball and one is an everyday mid-level ball. I don't get it.

Honestly, in my opinion, there is nothing wrong with the ChromeSoft. I have hit some and seen very nice results off wedges around the green. Lots of Tour players use it and Callaway continues to improve on it from year to year. They have actually stolen some market share from Titleist with the ChromeSoft. I just don't think I would be arguing that the only reason Titleist's new Tour Soft ball is longer is because it isn't in the same league as a ChromeSoft. Kind of like when TopFlite releases a pure distance ball that is yards longer than anything, but is a rock around the greens. They should be arguing that the ChromeSoft, being a top-quality Tour level ball is better with more feel around the greens. Oh wait, according to published comparison numbers, Tour Soft has a softer feel than ChromeSoft too.

I'm half kidding about the disagreement between Callaway and Titleist above, but it does make me wonder. Because actually, there is a lot more to the story and I have read both sides of it, each having a valid argument. But, I am beginning to think that there is more to this than meets the eye. The more I dig into this, the more I'm starting to think that the Titleist marketing of the Tour Soft is strategically focused on weakening the market for Chrome Soft by highlighting its lack of distance and feel (as well as the TP5's and/or the B330-RXS's) compared to their mid-level Tour Soft. Pure speculation on my part, but, when the new Titleist AVX is finally released and advertised nationally, it is likely going to be the ball directly pitted against ChromeSoft. Is the Tour Soft being compared to ChromeSoft now to make the point that even the lowly mid-level Tour Soft is longer than ChromeSoft? And, then when AVX hits the market, the ChromeSoft will be even further assaulted by the marketing message of a Tour level, urethane-covered ball with even longer distance than Tour Soft and better spin and feel around the greens. Again, I'm speculating, but it seems plausible. Titleist has been tight-lipped on it's plans for AVX, but I keep hearing little hints. Can't wait to find out.

My only question if my speculation is correct, or even close is, where does this leave Pro V1/Pro V1x? Maybe TWO steps above ChromeSoft?

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:53 am

I've never done this to one of my mg c4s before haha.

I also find it funny that I use the expensive balls I find to hit into my net.
Attachments
IMG_20180217_105254.jpg
IMG_20180217_105254.jpg (710.17 KiB) Viewed 86 times

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:25 pm

Looks straightish to me.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:18 pm

srogers13 wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:25 pm
Looks straightish to me.
I can't remember ever splitting the cover on a ball before.

DougE

Post by DougE » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:31 am

A) Based on the graphic (Alignment arrow), that ball is 8-9 years old, at least.
B) You probably have no idea of the ball's history.
Was if it was ever hit with a mower, or did it possibly have a small crack in it to begin with, before you hit it, etc.?
Was if it ever frozen in water before, or how many cycles of freezing and thawing has it been through?
C) I have broken balls in half before (various brands from my found-balls collection that I use for range work) and I don't have nearly your swing speed.
D) MG-C4s are fine balls. But the same thing might happen to one of those if the history were the exact same as the beat up old ProV.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:00 am

Doug I'm just pulling your leg. I don't thing mg balls are better than prov's. I just think the cost difference actually justify the quality difference.

DougE

Post by DougE » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:01 pm

I'm just cranky right now. My left hip is killing me (up into my lower back) after driving 18 hours to Florida. Can hardly bend at the waist. 84 degrees and sunny here and golf seems unlikely for at least a few days. 3 words of advise. Don't get old.

MattF

Post by MattF » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:09 pm

DougE wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:01 pm
I'm just cranky right now. My left hip is killing me (up into my lower back) after driving 18 hours to Florida. Can hardly bend at the waist. 84 degrees and sunny here and golf seems unlikely for at least a few days. 3 words of advise. Don't get old.
Where are you Doug? I'm playing Eagle Ridge in Ft Meyers tomorrow.

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Post by legitimatebeef » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:35 pm

DougE wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:01 pm
driving 18 hours to Florida.
Whoa! Long drive. I fantasize about long drives. Myrtle Beach to NYC in one day is my longest. It was a challenge and the last couple hours dragged. Curious, what sort of rig you drove down there and did you take I-95 most of the way?
The human race is just a chemical scum on a moderate-sized planet, orbiting around a very average star in the outer suburb of one among a hundred billion galaxies

DougE

Post by DougE » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:32 pm

Matt: I'm in Sarasota. Not sure I'll be playing much golf if this pain doesn't subside, but typically I play University Park in Sarasota, Esplanade in Bradenton as my regulars when I am here, as well as a few others, including Sarasota National in Venice every few years.

Beef: It should really only take about 15-16 hours....if you don't have a dog and wife with you who seem to need to pee along the way more than necessary in my opinion. I drive the trip usually twice a year, down and back. I try to avoid 95 around DC and VA when I can. Now that we live out in Frederick MD, we sometimes take I-81 through the Blue Ridge Mountains and Shenandoah Valley to I-77, to Columbia, SC (Hi JFurr---I waved when I passed through on Friday night, but you didn't see me) to Rt. 26 over to I-95 in SC. Then 95 into FL. It's a much more scenic drive than 95 via VA.

DougE

Post by DougE » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:44 pm

Oh, and it was in my wife's Honda CRV. Great gas mileage.

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Post by legitimatebeef » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:03 pm

Oh. That's a sensible ride for a long trip. I was picturing something with a huge ass steering wheel.
The human race is just a chemical scum on a moderate-sized planet, orbiting around a very average star in the outer suburb of one among a hundred billion galaxies

MattF

Post by MattF » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:07 pm

DougE wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:32 pm
Matt: I'm in Sarasota. Not sure I'll be playing much golf if this pain doesn't subside, but typically I play University Park in Sarasota, Esplanade in Bradenton as my regulars when I am here, as well as a few others, including Sarasota National in Venice every few years.
Cool. I pass both on my way to and from Tampa/St Pete.