February Golf.

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

February Golf.

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:03 pm

For northern peoples, the rarest of all the winter golfs.

Here in the tri-state area in 2018, the flag was planted today. Whatever weather plagues might befall us from tomorrow onward, I can at least say I played golf in February. Which means that most likely, I'll be able to play golf in every month this year. Which is a kind of coup if you think about it.

I shot an 86 on a very soggy very dilapidated Dyker Beach. There were no tee markers put out so I just played from the middles. 37° and overcast all day. It was fine, didn't need handwarmers. I saw maybe six people on the whole course; nobody got in anybody's else way. THANK YOU JESUS.

It was an interesting round! In which I explored deeper into the mysteries of the golf swing. Trying to learn some really new feels, I didn't feel so comfortable all day. And yet I managed to hit some good shots! This perhaps is the only way to get to the next level, just push hard through the discomfort, and unfamiliarity. I am encouraged by what I saw out there. :bawl And obviously, just thankful to get out there at this godawful time of year. Tomorrow we are due to get a couple of inches of winter sludge of indeterminate nature. Beyond that, nothing is guaranteed. :bawl

Being serious though, the temperatures are forecast to be mild for the foreseeable. So being reasonable, I cannot help but to expect some more action this month. Who knows these days, this could very well turn out to be an extreme, golfy February. :gross
Build a bridge and get over it.

legitimatebeef

Re: February Golf.

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:19 am

Fine. I will be the standard bearer for February Golf since nobody else cares.

I have set sail for golf course. 38 degrees tops today. And since we are predicted to reach 60 on Thursday, there should be minimal human garbage on the course. (sorry no love for my fellow man on this particular morning. fuck you)

This will be a bountiful month. But I just looked over last year's winter thread and was reminded that last March was awful. This winter feels kind of like the last, so I am fully expecting at least one more big winter shit. Not gonna be for a while though so let's all get gay.

DougE

Post by DougE » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:44 pm

I played yesterday. After 12 forced days off, played surprisingly well on an extremely wet course. Playing again tomorrow. Leaving for Florida Thursday. For some reason, I'm not all that excited about 75-80 degree golf down there. I was kinda enjoying having the course to myself here, even though the temps have not been all that friendly. And, now I'll have to wear shorts....with white legs. Not a good look.

Hope you are wrong about one more big winter shit, Beef.

The days are getting longer. Daylight Savings starts in less than a month. Hang in there. We're gonna make it.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:28 pm

82 today. Pretty noice playing on very bad turf conditions. Only person I saw in the whole place was a solitary guy teeing off as I was finishing. Whenever I find the course completely deserted, I rejoice obviously but it also makes me more scornful of people in general, for being so soft and wimpy. It was a nice day of golf, never once felt cold. I am realizing now that winter is drawing to a close, and these such days will soon be a memory. Gotta feast on as many of these high 30s days as I can. I really enjoy them. :facepalm

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:38 pm

DougE wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:44 pm
I played yesterday. After 12 forced days off, played surprisingly well on an extremely wet course. Playing again tomorrow. Leaving for Florida Thursday. For some reason, I'm not all that excited about 75-80 degree golf down there.
Yeah, that reason is your eyes are opened now. Play-at-your-own-pace golf is the very best kind of golf and everything else is a distant second. Anyone who says that four and half hours is a perfectly fine pace for 18 holes is bent over a barrel and doesn't even realize it.
I was kinda enjoying having the course to myself here, even though the temps have not been all that friendly. And, now I'll have to wear shorts....with white legs. Not a good look.
Please. All shorts look stupid on adult men period. So let's not act like a few shades of tan is what is preventing us from looking awesome. We are talking about the difference between a "D" and a "D-" here.

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:45 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:38 pm
Please. All shorts look stupid on adult men period. So let's not act like a few shades of tan is what is preventing us from looking awesome. We are talking about the difference between a "D" and a "D-" here.
Not so. I am very proud of my golfer tan which, as you may know, includes lower legs (from ankles to knees), lower arms (from just above the elbow down to the hands, I don't wear a golf glove anymore so both hands are equally tanned), a V-neck up to just around the eyes (I am always wearing a hat outside, to protect my bald head!). That means white feet against dark legs... something truly evident when I wear flip-flops or the like... :rofl :facepalm
I'm gonna go low this time...

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:52 pm

sjduffers wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:45 pm
That means white feet against dark legs... something truly evident when I wear flip-flops or the like... :rofl :facepalm
I told my young cousins I got my feet to look like that by standing in bleach. :twisted: :thumbs
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:35 pm

Today we are pushing up against 50° and tomorrow's forecast calls for 62 but somehow I am almost certain it will climb higher. That seems to be typical of these freak warm days, they usually blow past the predicted temp. Almost certain that there will be people in the tri-state playing some golf in t-shirts tomorrow. Wouldn't surprise me if it's not the only t-shirt day we get during this February.

Saturday's forecast is for 36°. The only glimmer of hope I can see on the horizon. :bawl

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:43 pm

DougE wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:44 pm
I played yesterday. After 12 forced days off, played surprisingly well on an extremely wet course. Playing again tomorrow. Leaving for Florida Thursday. For some reason, I'm not all that excited about 75-80 degree golf down there.
Have you seen your home forecast? Gonna be warm there too, so what's the diff. Probably would have to break out the khaki shorts anyways.

DougE

Post by DougE » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:33 pm

No shorts til May for me here at my home course, whatever the temp. I prefer playing golf in long pants, but feel like people think that I think I'm a playa (albeit a senior player) by displaying the PGA long pants look, even when it's short pants weather.

Played today in a foursome with a bunch of my regular playing partners. Played well, but one bad shot cost me a round in the 70s. (Shot 80.) Was playing the toughest hole on the course. A 410 yard par 4 all uphill with a forced carry on the approach. Typically, I can't reach in 2 unless I have an awesome drive. I had a good drive today and only had about 170 left, but all uphill. Playing about 195 to 200 to the back pin between the uphill, wind and the colder temps. I decided to go for it. I was in the left rough which is not very rough due to the dormancy of the grass in February. Had a good lie, but was on a mogul with the ball well above my feet. As I took the club back, I lost my balance and started to fall backward and couldn't catch myself as I stared my downswing. I barely touched the top of the ball with the bottom of my 3W as I fell away. I was quite annoyed as a perfectly good Titleist AVX disappeared into the wetlands 20 yards ahead of me. I accepted that I fell off the ball and topped it (barely) as a result, but couldn't accept the lost AVX. Rather than drop from where the ball went into the hazard, I decided to drop right there and rehit the same shot, because I knew I had it in me if I stayed balanced. Put the next one on the green and got down in two, just like I should have done with the first one. Only double of the day. Still pissed about the AVX.

MattF

Post by MattF » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:30 am

I'll be playing 36 on Friday, 18 on Saturday and 18 again some time next week...pics will come.
Throw me another ball will ya!

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:17 am

DougE wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:33 pm
No shorts til May for me here at my home course, whatever the temp. I prefer playing golf in long pants, but feel like people think that I think I'm a playa (albeit a senior player) by displaying the PGA long pants look, even when it's short pants weather.

Played today in a foursome with a bunch of my regular playing partners. Played well, but one bad shot cost me a round in the 70s. (Shot 80.) Was playing the toughest hole on the course. A 410 yard par 4 all uphill with a forced carry on the approach. Typically, I can't reach in 2 unless I have an awesome drive. I had a good drive today and only had about 170 left, but all uphill. Playing about 195 to 200 to the back pin between the uphill, wind and the colder temps. I decided to go for it. I was in the left rough which is not very rough due to the dormancy of the grass in February. Had a good lie, but was on a mogul with the ball well above my feet. As I took the club back, I lost my balance and started to fall backward and couldn't catch myself as I stared my downswing. I barely touched the top of the ball with the bottom of my 3W as I fell away. I was quite annoyed as a perfectly good Titleist AVX disappeared into the wetlands 20 yards ahead of me. I accepted that I fell off the ball and topped it (barely) as a result, but couldn't accept the lost AVX. Rather than drop from where the ball went into the hazard, I decided to drop right there and rehit the same shot, because I knew I had it in me if I stayed balanced. Put the next one on the green and got down in two, just like I should have done with the first one. Only double of the day. Still pissed about the AVX.
I laughed at your misfortune. Sorry. Golf is a dangerous game sometimes. You are dealing with a tiny ball flying at insanely high rates of speed over vast distances and terrestrial hazards. You put your assets at risk in a way that all other sports have no clue about. Take a risky shot with a basketball, who cares? The worst thing happens is you miss. Not losing your basketball FOREVER. Compared to golf, all other sports seem so sheltered and confined and anodyne.

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:33 pm

75° and sunny today. Might go to the range after work
I'm gonna hit a provisional
HCP Index :facepalm

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:46 pm

I'm working from home today and decided to go to the range on my lunch break because it is 76 and sunny outside.

Ultimately it was a poor choice. I hadn't eaten anything since breakfast, and the ground was extremely wet. Those combined for me not feeling it very well. My muscles just weren't cooperating with out food and when I hit the ground the mud came up and splashed my face (wind straight in).

I got literally no benefit from the balls I hit, even though I did hit some well. It was an F- of a range session.
Keep it short stupid.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:32 pm

Tried going to the range during lunch today myself. +20 mph winds almost blew me over. Tough to see progress in those conditions

MattF

Post by MattF » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:34 pm

I went to a range this arvo to knock off some major rust. Started exactly like I thought I would, pretty poor, but ended up hitting the ball well. Also tried out the Cleveland Smartsole in a bunker for about 20 minutes and was very pleased.

JPJ
dogs: 0

Post by JPJ » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:05 pm

I played on Sunday. It was pretty cold at first, but less so when we got in to the valley, but then cold again as we came up the 18th (at which point,
this happened... https://www.instagram.com/p/BfPJShxlZIV ... wn6Sq30k0/)

I scored 107, for 28 Stableford points. Considering I'd not played since November I was pretty pleased with that.
Golf is too hard. Stupid golf.

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:43 am

Nicely done, in the snow even.
Bluto did it

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:30 pm

Looking at a three round weekend of golf for the holiday weekend. Unless I decide to double up one day and make it a four round weekend.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:47 am

Snowstorm coming later today. I will be out on the course to meet it head on. :fu

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:48 pm

Maybe the coldest round of the year. Hovered between 30-36°. I played (and swang) quite well for 15 holes. Could've broke 80 by parring the last three. On the 16th I chunked a pitch, then kept trying to get cute with it and ended up tripling. I was in a flow for much of the round, but that flow started to falter a couple holes earlier anyways. Freeze set in as well and finally my swing which was in peak form until then, started to fade. Lost focus too. Struggled just to bogey the last two and ended on 84. But the front nine was some of the best, most autonomous golf I've ever played. I'm still sour over the end but for most of the round I felt control like I've never felt before. Still need some time to process.

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:26 pm

Coldest for you at 30-36*? I played colder than that in Hellabama.

MattF

Post by MattF » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:16 am

This is from Bayou Country club in St Petersburg last Friday. Played like arse but I'd already played 18 in the morning at Pebble Creek in Tampa.
Bayou 18th hole.jpg
Bayou 18th hole.jpg (110.77 KiB) Viewed 1843 times

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:41 am

srogers13 wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:26 pm
Coldest for you at 30-36*? I played colder than that in Hellabama.
Don't be a one-upper. The temp never got above 36 all day. Big difference between that and a bit of morning frost. Not having some southerner tell me about cold. :fuckall

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:49 pm

Our cold is colder due to damp wind chill off of the Gulf...LOL