Virginia Beach Courses

DougE
dogs: 1

Virginia Beach Courses

Post by DougE » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:24 pm

Fish, what would you say are the best courses in the Virginia Beach area? I have a buddy over at Team Tiltleist who is going there this Spring and was asking for some local input on VB courses to play. I said I'd check with the Long-Ball Hitting King of Virginia Beach :P and get back to him with a few recommendations straight away.

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Re: Virginia Beach Courses

Post by jasonfish11 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:47 pm

I guess the real question is does he want it to be in Virginia Beach or is he wanting to play "near" Virginia Beach. Also what type of money?

In Virginia Beach:
I feel like everything in VB is just flat and watery. It reminds me a lot of Florida. So to me they are all kind of the same, it's just a matter of who has the best maintenance.
1) Signature at Westneck - Arnold Palmer course. Also Marc Leishman's home course. I know he's not a Titleist guy.
T2) Virginia Beach National - Pete Dye course. It's normally in good shape.
T2) Heron Ridge - Freddy Couples designed course. Owned by the same people that own VB National above.

They all range from $60-$80 in season. The decision between VB National and Heron Ridge: Everyone I know who cuts the ball likes Heron Ridge better. Everyone I know who draws the ball likes VB National better.

Best budget course in VB is Red Wing Lakes. It's a muni course, the greens wont be perfect but they'll be better than most munis. The course is pretty easy. It is also one of the few that doesn't have any houses in play on any hole. Come to think of it neither does VB National except 1 hole.

Oh if you want the true VB golf experience (ie F18 Hornets flying over in your back swing) it's VB National or Red Wing Lakes, depending on the flight pattern that day. I mean you'll get this on any of the VB courses, but those 2 are closest to Oceana so they'll be a lot lower in their flight over those 2 courses. With the exception of the 2 courses that are on Oceana property, but you need a military connection to get on those and I've heard they aren't that great.

Near Virginia Beach I've heard really good things about Cahoon Plantation in Chesapeake about 30 min away. I've not played it yet (it's going to be my next new course in the area that I do play). A lot of people really like it (more so than the VB courses).

If flat & wet isn't what he wants I'd recommend going to williamsburg. There's A TON of nice golf courses in Willimasburg with hills. It's about 1-2 hours though.

Also just across the bridge to the eastern shore (1 hour) there is Bay Creek (36 holes co-designed by Nicklaus and Palmer) that is really nice. But the bridge costs $17 to cross each way, so I'd recommend trying to play all 36. Again it's pretty flat. But it doesn't have many houses. It goes in through the woods out to the Chesapeake Bay. A few holes along the bay then back into the woods. The scenery is great and the course is normally in great shape.
Keep it short stupid.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:55 pm

Oh VB National use to host a Web.com tour event if that matters for anything.

It's the course right by my house, I just don't like one of the guys that works in the club house. One of the 2 guys is great. The other guy is a complete a-hole. So I don't play it that much because of that one guy.

Also let me know what day and if he's looking for someone to play with.
Keep it short stupid.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:04 pm

Oh man I feel like I could keep hitting reply with more info.

But, if he wants to play 36 in a day VB national, Heron Ridge, and Signature at west neck are all with in a 10 min drive of each other so it's pretty simple to play 2 of those in 1 day.
Keep it short stupid.

DougE

Post by DougE » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:20 pm

Fish, I passed along your info. Hopefully it helps him plan. Appreciate your input and time to write it all out.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:34 pm

No problem at all.

Unfortunately there are no great public courses in Virginia Beach. There are numerous good courses though. I played signature one time and can't remember a single hole. But it's usually very well maintained.
Keep it short stupid.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:01 am

Let me know where your friend decides to play and what his thoughts are.
Keep it short stupid.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Tue May 22, 2018 5:36 pm

Did your friend come down? If so where did he play and what were his thoughts?
Keep it short stupid.

DougE

Post by DougE » Tue May 22, 2018 6:13 pm

Don't know where he played or if he played. Hell, I even forgot which guy it was who asked. I'll have to go back to my Team Titleist discussions history to refresh my memory.