Re: Buddy Trip 2018

Post by jfurr » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:57 pm

To clarify - 17 over on just the back. Shot a 49 on the front
I'm gonna hit a provisional
HCP Index :facepalm

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:08 pm

Just took a nine on a par four. I swear I’m going to quit this stupid game. Re: alcohol I’ve had a Bloody Mary and a Yuingling. I’m on 18 cracking another one.

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:17 pm

Fairway from 185 into wind 5 iron on the green. Might actually par. No chipping or pitching required.

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:26 pm

Don't give him a two stroke penalty for giving advice during a round.
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:26 pm

Par on 18 for a 58 on the back / 107 finish. I’m probably last place

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:30 pm

Math error. 57 on back / 106 :bawl

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:36 pm

srogers13 wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:26 pm
Don't give him a two stroke penalty for giving advice during a round.
Oops. My bad. Didn't realize he was live posting... :wah
I'm gonna go low this time...

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Post by bkuehn1952 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:19 pm

jfurr wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:30 pm
Math error. 57 on back / 106 :bawl
Signed for a 107 so that stands. No DQ for signing for a higher than actual number. :thumbs
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:32 pm

Furrman probably feelin no pain right about now.
A golfball wizard's
got such a supple wrist-cock

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:33 pm

I'd say theres about a 50/50 chance I'll ever play golf again at this point. I'm tired of sucking on this level. I mean literally every other golfer on the course today despite age or handicap could have hit these shots better than I did. It starts to get pretty old round after round of not being able to hit a fucking pitch. Being just off the green with a chance to scramble for par and coming off with a triple, quad, or +5.

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:49 pm

Don't you dare quitting! Chipping and pitching is not that difficult but you have to have the proper technique. It took me years, as in 8-10 years, to figure this out. I just wish I had looked for good advice (or God forbid, taken a lesson!) way sooner. I still blade one occasionally, but it's rare and I know exactly why: not having the weight forward.

This stuff is like putting: I was the worse putter in the world, I swear! I was 3 and 4-putting nearly everything, from 8 ft, it didn't matter. It took me over 3 years to get my first par because I could never get the ball in the hole in 1 or 2 putts! I then decided to do something about it and now putting is one my strengths.

You too can fix this issue, after you get rid of the hangover of course. Good luck!
I'm gonna go low this time...

Duke of Hazards

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:10 pm

SJDuffers on 🔥 today. Love it. :thumbs
Bluto did it

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:00 am

Furr I'm going to go against the grain here.

To be able to consistently break 100 when you are taking a real score takes one of two things. Practice or freakishly good hand eye coordination.

You have a lot of things going on with music work etc. I respect you for that (I wish I was more artistic). If you can't fit more regular golf or practice into that schedule then you may not be able to get better. There is nothing wrong with that. But if you are not able to have fun then you might be right that quitting (at least temporarily until you have more time) is the best option. Selfishly I hope you don't as quitting make you less likely to post here. But it shouldn't be a game that causes you frustration at this point.
Keep it short stupid.

DougE

Post by DougE » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:47 am

Come visit me John. I guarantee I will cut your excess chips per round in half. If you can toss a tennis ball underhanded to me from 10 feet away and not make me jump up or dive one way or another to catch it, I can teach you to chip, provided you have some hand/eye coordination. :school Once you know how to do it and can do so with some consistency, while understanding HOW and WHY it now works so well, you will be kicking yourself for never taking the time to learn the simple basics earlier.

A few teasers of what you'll learn in my super duper, one-day chipping course,
Chip Like a Half-Way Decent Golfer:

1. Weight forward. Back foot is not even necessary to chip well.
2. Use your shoulders to turn back
3. ...and through.
4. Hit DOWN on the ball. Trying to hit up will likely end with a chunk or a skull.

If you graduate to the next day, we'll get into chipitches and pitchips. Two very different short game necessities.
This is when it starts to get fun!

Day 3 gets into the more difficult stuff, like checking pitchips, high pitches from 30 yards and flop shots from 2 yards to 20.

Upon graduation, you are guaranteed to knock 5-10 strokes off your game, right out of the box, or your money back.

Cost: $0.00 :o

Next course available: Bunker Play, both greenside and FWs.
Uphill, downhill, ball above feet, ball below feet, plugged lies, hard sand, soft sand, wet sand, etc., yes we'll address them all.
Day 1: Getting out
Day 2: Getting close

By the time you graduate, you might be giving up that music stuff to make more time for golf! ;)

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:44 am

Jfurr, try getting more handsy with your short shots next time (if there is a next time that is). As a guitar player you probably have better than average feel in the hands. I don't know. Golf instruction is always telling amateurs to be passive-handed. I really don't know about that, and other such pillars of "golf instruction". That's such a blanket statement, and people have such a wide range of dexterity in their hands. Bubba Watson supposedly goes by hand-feel to hit all of his different shot shapes.

I think getting too handsy is only really a problem for certain people, and that others can benefit from being more hand conscious.
A golfball wizard's
got such a supple wrist-cock

DougE

Post by DougE » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:09 am

legitimatebeef wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:44 am
Jfurr, try getting more handsy with your short shots next time (if there is a next time that is). As a guitar player you probably have better than average feel in the hands. I don't know. Golf instruction is always telling amateurs to be passive-handed. I really don't know about that, and other such pillars of "golf instruction". That's such a blanket statement, and people have such a wide range of dexterity in their hands. Bubba Watson supposedly goes by hand-feel to hit all of his different shot shapes.

I think getting too handsy is only really a problem for certain people, and that others can benefit from being more hand conscious.
Better not sign up for my course. You won't like the technique. Handsy on short chip shots adds unnecessary variables. More can go wrong. We frown on that here at the DougE Short Game Center. :lolz

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:08 pm

Thanks for the input, friends.

So the low HCP player in our group game me some tip/feedback. It was basically exactly as Doug just described.

What I was doing: weight forward, and either putting ball off my back foot to chip low, or off my front foot to chip high. The problem he said was I am breaking my wrist immediately on takeaway, and not really turning my shoulders. I guess it was like I was taking a swat at the ball, like a bunker shot maybe. This issue was magnified the further away from the green I am.

He suggested I take NO wrist hinge - and keep my arms and club stuck like a single "triangle", and turn my shoulders back and through. I tried it a few times and it works on short chips. But on the high 20-30 yard stuff I found it more difficult as it seemed like some hinge is needed, to get more of a hit with spin and get it higher up. Almost like a flop.

By the way on the first day on the first hole I tried a flop from about 40 yards, and I hit the ground behind the ball and buried the club so hard it really hurt may wrist. The ball went about 1 yard. I tried it again and hit a perfect flop then ended up inside 6 inches. :facepalm

Doug eventually I'll make my way up there again and I'll definitely hook up with you I'd love to get a lesson.