Too many clubs. What would you do?

DougE
dogs: 1

Too many clubs. What would you do?

Post by DougE » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:22 pm

So, I have a small dilemma with my bag. I went through the winter with 15 clubs in my bag because it didn't matter. Out of posting season. But now that we are in posting season (even though there is a forecast of 5-8" of snow here on Saturday), I have to make some changes. I have thought it through all winter and have a pretty good idea of how I will make it all work, but wanted to pose the question to others, just for some other perspectives.

Presently, I am playing both an AP2-716 7i and an AP3-718 7i, because there is too big a distance gap between the forged "players" style AP2 8 iron, and the more forgiving AP3 "distance" 7 iron. So for the winter I left the AP2 7 iron in the bag to fill that big gap. I now have to take something out. I am considering taking my 5W and 21* hybrid out and replacing them both with a single 19* Titleist 818 hybrid. But, I like my 5W. So my only other choice is to get rid of one of the 7 irons, or play both 7 irons and dump my 8 iron. There are two ways I can accomplish this to get the distance I need. I can weaken my old AP2 7i by 2* (basically playing it as a strong 8i). Or I can strengthen the AP2 8i by 2*, but I don't really think that will be enough to fill the gap. So, in order to get a bit more out of the 8i I am also considering adding a 1/2" in length to the shaft. (I am reshafting the AP2s to match the AP3 shafts anyway.)

So my question, would you rather have two 7 irons and an 8i, which together cover all the yardages needed in the range, which would require I give up a FW or hybrid in order to keep all three? Or would you rather strengthen/weaken one of the AP2 (7i/8i) blades to fill a 30-35 yard gap between the AP2 9i and AP3 7i? To help understand the numbers better, my AP2 9i forged blade is my 120-130 yd club. My AP3 7i is my 150-155 club. That's 25-30 yards of gap that needs to be filled with one club, either a weakened AP2 7i or a strengthened and lengthened AP2 8i. I can always choke down to take off a few yards with the AP2 7i when necessary, but that will really affect swingweight.

One more variable to factor in. I love my AP2 7i and really hate to remove it. I hit it well. I have confidence with it. Weakening it by 2* will add 2* of bounce, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, since I tend to hit down on the ball and take a nice divot. On the other hand, Strengthening the 8i by 2* will remove 2 degrees of bounce.

I would rather not weaken the AP3 7i, since it is not forged and also, I like the extra distance I get with it as it is. So I can strengthen the AP2 8i 2 degrees, but weakening the AP3 7i to lessen the gap further is not really an option I would consider.

I'm happy with my bag as it stands right now, but have to make a move somewhere. Just curious as to what others would do? As I said, I'm pretty sure I already know what I am going to do, but I like to hear other perspectives.

Here's how my bag sets up today. You can see how the two 7 irons work together perfectly in the line up by noting their lofts.
(Obviously everything is Titleist.)

1.) 917D2 Driver
2.) 917F2 3/4W 16.5* set to 15.75*
3.) 915F 5W/18*
4.) 818H 21* Hybrid
5.) AP3-718 5i/25*
6.) AP3-718 6i/28*
7.) AP3-718 7i/31*
8.) AP2-716 7i/34*
9.) AP2-716 8i/38*
10) AP2-716 9i/42*
11) AP2-716 PW/46*
12) Vokey SM6 50.08F
13) Vokey SM6 54.10S (Upgrading this month to new SM7 w/same loft/bounce/grind)
14) Vokey SM6 58.12K (Upgrading this month to new SM7 58* w/bounce/grind TBD)
15) Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Studio Select

srogers13

Re: Too many clubs. What would you do?

Post by srogers13 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:26 pm

Take your putter out and putt with your wedge Robert Streb style. :rofl :thumbs
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:00 pm

Clubs 3,4,5 need to be reduced to two.

Your first recommendation is the best one. 19 degree hybrid to replace clubs 3 and 4. Your 5 wood will get over it. Better yet, take after your boy Kuehn and put a majestic 7 wood in the bag.
Bluto did it

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:24 pm

What if you left the AP2 7i in the bag but had it bent 2 degrees stronger, then go to the 6i in AP3?
I'm gonna hit a provisional
HCP Index :facepalm

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:27 pm

If I wasn't sure what to do, I'd keep switching it up. Eventually the better option would reveal itself. Or not :puke

Whichever setup looks better in the bag :thrust
Build a bridge and get over it.

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:37 pm

Ignore that post, I wrote it backwards... and I also see now that you mentioned this concept... sorry I jumped ahead...

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:38 pm

I agree with DoH - drop the 5W and 3H and get a 7W !

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:46 pm

I don't want to hijack your thread, but I'm starting to put together my bag for the beach trip and I have a dilemma also. I normally only carry 12 clubs.

DR
5W 18*
4hy 21*
5i - PW MP59's
50*, 54* cleveland 588's
putter

Sometimes I add in either a 60* wedge or a 3H 20*. I also have a 15* 3W and a extra driver which is "Draw" biased someone gave me.

I'm trying to decide what to finish my bag out with. I'll probably take the 60, the 3W, and the 3H and try different things each depending on how I'm feeling. The 60 gets put away a lot because I am terrible with chipping and I do a lot of either skulling the ball or chunking it with that one. I only really use it when there is a nice fluffy lie where I can try a flop and get under the ball easily. The 3W I used to hit really well and it even replaced my driver for a while, but I hit the 5W about as far and its easier to hit. The 3H I tend to rarely hit well and usually get a low hook.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:54 pm

I'd take out the club you hit the worst. For example, I at times do better choking down on a hybrid than hitting a 5i, so that might be an option. I also don't carry a 3W as I hit a 5W just as far, at least off the deck. Not a big fan of adjusting clubs - never felt I was good enough.

DougE

Post by DougE » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:29 pm

GBOGEY wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:54 pm
I'd take out the club you hit the worst. For example, I at times do better choking down on a hybrid than hitting a 5i, so that might be an option. I also don't carry a 3W as I hit a 5W just as far, at least off the deck. Not a big fan of adjusting clubs - never felt I was good enough.
I'm not sure if your response was to my original question or JFurr's. If for me, I don't think this is an option. I don't mean to sound braggadocios but, I actually hit my 3W, 5W, hybrid and all my irons fairly well and pretty consistently, assuming a decent lie. I'd have a hard time picking a worst club. It depends on the day, I guess. Now, if only I could hit them each another 10 or 15 yards, I might actually be good at this game.

If your response was for JFurr,...............nevermind. :facepalm

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:14 pm

I left the 60° behind and carried the 3W. Good choice!

DougE

Post by DougE » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:29 am

Okay, I took the 5W and 21* hybrid out. Put the new 818H1 19* hybrid in. We'll see today if the gap between 5i and hybrid is now too big. Both 7 irons will stay in the bag, for now, with no bending of anything required. If this works, I'm good.

If not, my next move is to put an AP3 or maybe even AP1 4i, custom-built with a graphite MCA Tensei Red shaft, or a Kuro Kage TiNi (TBD) to create a sort of iron-hybrid with more forgiveness than a regular steel-shafted 4i. Of course, if I do this, then I will have to eliminate either the AP2 8i or AP2 7i and bend the other strong or weak respectively.

Damn. At this rate, I'm not sure how I'll ever get a Vokey 62.08 ultra lob wedge in the bag, which I have been trying to do for awhile now. Wedge play is the best part of my game so I know I could really make use of it. Though I flop my 58* high bounce wedge pretty well, real short flops would be easier with a lower bounce 62*. Gonna have to give up another club to do it within the rules. For now, I'll keep practicing with the 62* around the short-game area and in rounds that aren't posted for hdcp index and leave it in my locker during official rounds.

DougE

Post by DougE » Thu May 24, 2018 12:27 pm

So, to follow up (as if anyone gives a shit), the gap between the new 19* 818H1 hybrid and my AP3-718 5 iron is a bit too wide. So, I ended up having a AP1-718 4 iron custom built with a graphite UST Recoil 65 stiff shaft. 21* of loft. Was delivered yesterday. Haven't had a chance to try it on the course, but hit some balls in my backyard with it. Felt pretty good. Hopeful it will fill the gap. Guess it will depend on how well I hit it on the course.

As a result, I have still gotten no further to getting down to 14 clubs from 15. So, I've been leaving either the AP2 8i or 7i out of play when I plan to post a score. This has not been ideal. It seems, whichever one I leave out for each round, I need it every other shot. :facepalm

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Thu May 24, 2018 12:59 pm

I meant to respond to your april post.

Instead of trying to get room for a 62/08 wedge, why not just grind off some of the heel of the 58? This will help reduce the bounce when it's open.

Also have you tried a 62 degree wedge?

I have tried a 60 at one point and I really hated it. I went back to 58 being my highest. The 58 is more versatile for me. I didn't have great distance control with the 60 on more full distance shots (over 50 yards) and it really didn't add anything for me around the green. I felt comfortable just opening up my 58 super wide and hacking it when I needed to get it up quickly.

You're good with your wedges, so I'd be interested to hear what you get out of a 62* wedge that warrants dropping some other club in your bag.
Keep it short stupid.

DougE

Post by DougE » Thu May 24, 2018 2:47 pm

Fish, yeah, I played Vokeys in a 52/56/60 set-up for years back when I played AP2-712s, which had a 47* PW. Loved the set-up and the 60 specifically. It had 7* of bounce. Never had a problem with the loft. (I actually had a 64* wedge as well, but only used it for fun as I had no room in the bag.)

When I got a newer set of AP2-716 irons a couple years ago, I decided I needed to switch out my wedges to a 50/54/58 set up, as the new model AP2s had a 46* PW instead of 47*. I played a 50.08F, 54.10S and 58.12K in the SM6s. My new SM7s are the same loft and bounce, except I went with a different grind in the 58 (D), which is a little more versatile. There is no need to grind away any heel on the 58. I can flop off virtually any lie with it and never feel like I need less bounce. Maybe I would be careful flopping off hardpan, but that is a shot that is rarely ever necessary, so I would not consider grinding any bounce down. Typically, most flops are executed from around the greens, usually from rough. More bounce is good in rough. It helps keep you from getting too far under the ball in many instances. I do admit, before I went from the 60.07 to the 58.12, I was a little concerned I might not like the added bounce, but after playing the new one for a round or two, I was hooked. And it is extremely helpful in fluffy sand and soft conditions. Bounce is my friend. And, Fish, if memory serves, I think I recall you mentioning that you too have no issues flopping with higher bounce.

As far as putting a 62.08 wedge in the bag, it was more to play around with just to see what cool shots I might be able to pull off. You are right, I DO believe I am better than average with my wedges. I have a pretty full bag of tricks, as most of the guys I play with will attest. It is the part of my game of which I am most proud. I practice endlessly from every thinkable lie. It's my thing. A 62* might offer me something even more. I am confident enough in my wedge play to use one. But, it's not something I think I need. I do just fine with what I have now. I'm no Phil Mickelson, but frankly, I am not all that impressed by the shots he has in his bag. I feel like I have a lot of those same shots. On the other hand, I am impressed by his success rate when he tries to pull some of those crazy shots off in competition. I am not always quite as successful. :facepalm

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Thu May 24, 2018 4:31 pm

Yes I'm a huge fan of bounce. Like I said in the "southern grasses" thread I grew up with high bounce wedges from a necessity. When I was young I really liked playing around with flop shots. I thought they were so neat. I only had a 56* wedge at the time but I could open that thing up and hit it over a cart that is 1 pace away. I practiced this quite often while waiting on the tee box for the group in front to clear. I'd see how close i could get to the cart and still get it up and over. It got to the point where I was so close I'd have to manipulate the follow through to prevent hitting the cart (or move where I or the cart are located).

Funny you mention that about Phil. I've always thought the same thing, I've never been super impressed with WHAT he can do. It's impressive how consistently he can do it in high pressure situations. But when ever you hear about some great Phil recovery, my thought is always "why was he there in the first place?"

Now I am like you, although not as good because I don't practice short game as much as I should. I feel like if I need to I can open up my 58* wedge from the FW and take a full swing where the ball travels less than 20'. My success rate is probably only 40-50% of the time, but I do have ability to hit the shot. I didn't notice a large increase in the consistency when I had my 60* wedge which is why I threw it in the closet. It's still sitting in a very dark place where it hasn't seen light since I put it in the moving truck 3 years ago when we bought the house. Maybe it has learned from it's punishment and is ready to behave now, I don't know?
Keep it short stupid.