14%
<200
No votes

Total votes: 7

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

How far do you really hit the ball.

Post by jasonfish11 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:05 am

I see Doug always talking about finding extra yards to improve his game. But I feel like the people on this site are doing well without a 300 yard carry.

Also he seems to think I'm some monster yet I only average 255-260 and my average score is around 85.

So what is your average drive distance and average score.
Keep it short stupid.

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Re: How far do you really hit the ball.

Post by bkuehn1952 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:30 am

Well, my best drive Sunday was 205 yards and I shot 88. My days as an "8-9" handicap are numbered. :fkno
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

DougE
dogs: 1

Post by DougE » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:51 am

When I am driving the ball well, in warmer temps, with reasonable roll, my center contact drives average about 230-240. If my baby draw is working I can get out there 250. But, my carry is typically around 225. I can also hit some real stinkers and barely reach 200. Everything depends on the day and how in-sync I get that day.

But the difference between you, Jason, and me is not the 20 or 30 (or 50) yards or more that you blow it by me with your driver, it is the fact that you also hit your irons much further than I do. So, assuming a basic, flat 390-yard par 4, handicap 13 or 14 on the card, if you drive it 260 in the fairway, you are looking at a 130 yard approach and a p wedge in. If I drove it that same 260, I would be looking at 8 or 9 iron. However, since I won't be anywhere near your 260 yard drive, but more like 230 with a real good drive in the fairway, I will have a 6i in for my approach. PW vs. 6 iron. Scoring club vs. distance club. Accuracy vs. hope and pray. Easy vs. much more difficult. THAT is the problem.

I truly believe if I could hit and control a 260 yard average drive, I could play off a 3 or 4 index. Lower if I could putt better. But those days are over.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:27 am

I see your point Doug.

But the type of courses I enjoy the most are what I'll call "target" golf courses. Where you put the ball in a specific spot in the FW and green. When I get the chance to play courses like this I hit driver less than half the time. Take out the par 5's where I almost always hit driver because I know 2 perfect shots will have me chipping/putting. On the par 4's I'm normally hitting driver 2-4 times out of the 10. On courses like that we would both be having a similar yardage in (might be different irons). How far you hit your irons is another subject, because there is so much variability in irons. After hitting that P790 7i 195 yards 3 or 4 times it's not fair to really compare irons.

I'll use VB national front 9 as an example. The back 9 is very similar except one of the par 5's on the back is a guaranteed 3 shot hole where I hit 4i off the tee. Actually both par 5's on the back I've laid up 100% of the time on.

#1 - Don't hit it past 240 off the tee to stay short of the bunker. My 3w to your Dr. We both have 120-130 in.
#2 - 250 to 260 is the best place to be, you can be really aggressive on your line and cut a ton of the corner but it doesn't help that much. So here we have a 20-30 yard difference.
#3 - par 3
#4 - You MUST draw it here or leave it 150 yards+ to the flag. I normally hit 4i here because I know I can hit a draw or at worst straight but far enough back to not be blocked out. Here is where you could have an advantage if you are comfortable with a draw. I'm leaving myself 150-180 into this hole where you could have 130 or less if you draw a driver
#5 par 5 swing away (I can get there in 2 but have only hit a good enough drive 1 time to try it). All layups are to the 80 yard range here due to the layout. So with out that 1 in 20 drive for me our approaches will be in the 60-80 yard range.
#6 - 230-240 is a great place to stay short of the bunker. No difference for us (3w v Dr). We'll both have 140-150 in.
#7 - par 3
#8 - Par 5 swing away. This one I can reach in 2 with a good driver where you wouldn't be able to after 230 yard drive.
#9 - again 230-240 is a great spot where the FW is widest. So no difference (3w v Dr). We'll both have 140-150 in again.

So of those 9 holes there is really 3 I have an advantage on, and one of those I only have an advantage on my best drives. Then for 1 hole you probably have an advantage on (assuming you hit a draw). The other 3 holes we are going to put our tee shots in the same area. To me that is how a golf course should be laid out.

Yes there are courses where you just blast driver on every hole. They suck and are boring and I don't play them very much, and to be fair I normally score better when I'm playing "target" golf instead of blast & gouge.
Keep it short stupid.

DougE

Post by DougE » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:57 am

Jason, in theory, your little fairy tale sounds great. Even to me. I would love it to be that simple. But, if it's a target course (and I would call Worthington a target course, at least if you want to have a chance to approach from the right direction, which IS necessary), I too may need to hit 3W off the tee. A good 3W for me is 210, maybe 215 with firm conditions. (Actually mine's a 16.5* 3/4W.) So I am still further out than you. And, again, even if we have the same distance in when you hit 4i and I hit driver, we are likely hitting quite different clubs on our next shots. Me, most likely at least 2 stronger clubs than you to cover the same distance. Much harder to be as accurate hitting longer clubs. That's just a fact. Pro or lowly high-handicapper. But I do like your story. Makes it sound like I could keep up with you. Trust me. I can't. Even so, thanks for your vote of confidence.

The only thing I may have over you--and I say MAY---is that my chipping game is usually very good. And I have a lot of short game shots in my bag that the average guy doesn't typically have, simply because they never practice those shots. I practice tough lies and specialty shots on a regular basis. I have more time than the average golfer. Sure would like more distance though. It would really help. But I agree, distance is not necessarily the holy grail. I've seen big distance in the hands of weekend casual golfers. It's not always pretty.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:05 am

Head to head you'd take my lunch money 9 times out of 10, even from the same tees.

I am pretty sure your chipping, iron game, and putting is better than mine. So maybe I shouldn't try to help build your confidence and just ask to have this 1 thing :rofl
Keep it short stupid.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:09 pm

I don't really know how far. Average score, just looked, is 87.1 :breaking

There is exactly one flat fairway at my regular course. Everything else is hills. Plus the turf is damp half the time, and there is almost always wind. In other words there are too many variables going on. I don't ever really get a feel for how far I'm hitting on a given day. I just go by solidness of contact. One of the downhillers has a hazard that's like 270 to carry. During the summer maybe I will try to take it on.

Other than that, I hit it far enough :fkno That's all you need to know. That's all I need to know. To me, my swing looks pretty fast, compared to most hackers. I could be seeing things though.

We should all just come over to Fish's one of these days and we'll measure up ourselves on the launch. :thrust
Build a bridge and get over it.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:11 pm

Also, I play in the cold a lot, and you know what the effect of cold is--shrinkage.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:14 pm

DougE wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:51 am
When I am driving the ball well, in warmer temps, with reasonable roll, my center contact drives average about 230-240. If my baby draw is working I can get out there 250. But, my carry is typically around 225. I can also hit some real stinkers and barely reach 200. Everything depends on the day and how in-sync I get that day.

But the difference between you, Jason, and me is not the 20 or 30 (or 50) yards or more that you blow it by me with your driver, it is the fact that you also hit your irons much further than I do. So, assuming a basic, flat 390-yard par 4, handicap 13 or 14 on the card, if you drive it 260 in the fairway, you are looking at a 130 yard approach and a p wedge in. If I drove it that same 260, I would be looking at 8 or 9 iron. However, since I won't be anywhere near your 260 yard drive, but more like 230 with a real good drive in the fairway, I will have a 6i in for my approach. PW vs. 6 iron. Scoring club vs. distance club. Accuracy vs. hope and pray. Easy vs. much more difficult. THAT is the problem.
I'm very similar - a good strike for me in reasonable conditions is 220-240. Some stinkers that only go 200, a few big 250 hits. Totally agree with Doug's analysis as well. It's not just the extra 30 yards off the tee but the length with each iron and wedge as well. I think that is something that people miss about the pros as well - it's not just that they are 300 off the tee (or 270 with a FW) but that they are hitting 9i or 8i 170+. If I never had to hit anything higher than a 7i I'd be A LOT more accurate.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:28 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:09 pm
We should all just come over to Fish's one of these days and we'll measure up ourselves on the launch. :thrust
East coast meet up in Virginia Beach.

I'm sure my wife would be fine with 10 people I've only talked to online coming over for beers and hitting golf balls in our room over the garage.
Keep it short stupid.

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:16 pm

I am typically between 210 and 230 (at sea level), with the odd one going to 250 or even longer. I voted 220-230 but could have voted 200-200 just as well.

I never really understood what made such big difference possible. I mean sure, I know why I managed to hit a few over 300 yards in the summer, on a hard fairway rolling downhill with the wind at my back, but what explains 210 with a seemingly good contact vs. 250-260 with a feel that is very similar (i.e. good center contact), on similar grass, slope, weather conditions, etc? Sure, part of it is the completeness of the turn and the centeredness of contact, but is that it?

The point that Doug made about driver distance affecting the rest of our game is very good. I think I am getting more, relatively speaking, out of my driver than I am from my irons, with for example the PW going 100-105 normally and the 7i going 130-140, only. Once in a while, I'll catch one with my arms more fully extended and it will fly 10-15 yards further, and maybe that's what all shots really should be, ... but alas they typically ain't. :facepalm

ETA: My average score is around 81 (Handicap Index hovering around 8.5-9.0), but I am typically playing courses with slopes around 115-120, with a few harder ones sprinkled in and on those my score average is higher, to maybe 85-87. I typically score with my good short game and putting. I am averaging just over 29 putts per round (for the last 20 rounds) at the moment, with about 6 greens hit in regulation.
Last edited by sjduffers on Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm gonna go low this time...

DougE

Post by DougE » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:18 pm

jasonfish11 wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:28 pm
legitimatebeef wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:09 pm
East coast meet up in Virginia Beach.

I'm sure my wife would be fine with 10 people I've only talked to online coming over for beers and hitting golf balls in our room over the garage.
If I drive all the way to Virginia Beach, I'm staying overnight. Maybe a couple nights. What about bedrooms? How many you got? I like my own room and bath please. :P

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:05 am

I pounded one yesterday, so I measured it. It was like 238, all carry.

That is why I don't like to measure.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:06 pm

Just a random thought but tangentially related. I think tech has spoiled golf. Ball and club tech. So you make everything go farther, and then ruling bodies respond by lengthening courses to balance it all out. So nothing really changes except the numbers. In economics that's called inflation.

Baseball got it right by not allowing tech to increase distances. There would be no point anyways. The baseball field is plenty big enough as it is. A traditional sized golf course is also plenty big. 250 yards is still way huger than anybody in any other sport is hitting any ball. Jesus Christ. What is the point of increasing the scale of a game that already requires huge amounts of land, bigger than that of any other sport on earth, by a magnitude that is already positively shameful.

Let's be fair here to baseball though. They have to limit the ball and bat tech, or else people would get regularly killed out there. I don't believe baseball is that virtuous. If there was no safety issue, tech would allowed to run rampant, and you know that pros right now would be hitting the baseball like 700-800 feet.

Like so much other nonsense in the world the lust for distance probably comes down to penile insecurity :facepalm Too bad I have no idea what that's all about. :onfire