Need advice for bag/cart sound issue

Duke of Hazards

Need advice for bag/cart sound issue

Post by Duke of Hazards » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:28 pm

So I've been playing a bit more and I have a fairly mild golf course that's easy to walk that's dirt cheap. $7 to walk twilight. I like the additional exercise walking the course. I intend to try to play there a few times a month at least.

I have an old ass stand bag that's falling apart. It's the one I bought at Play it Again Sports when I first took up golf. I bought a Nike stand bag a couple of yrs into golf but that thing was a piece of crap and broke after 2 seasons.

So anyway, I've been shoulder carrying. The issue is the noise. If I shoulder carry with the bag slung over both shoulders (like a backpack), the club 'chatter' (clubs banging against each other) annoys me. I know other people don't care about it but it bugs me. So I've been slinging it over my right shoulder only. That's fine and all, but towards the end of the round, my right shoulder tends to get a bit tired. I'm kind of at a loss as to what to do.

Can someone offer some advice here? These are the factors:
-iron head covers (nope, not gonna do it)
-push cart (under consideration, but would prefer the additional exercise of carrying)
-14-way divider vs fewer dividers (I've read that 14-way dividers actually increase club chatter, but not sure)
-'silencer' (some kind of device you add to your bag? not familiar with it but might be a solution)
-newer carry bag with swively, cushiony ambidextrous strap technology (as I said earlier, my bag is old as dirt and it's a Golfsmith bag so I'm sure
newer bag tech is better).
-wrap/intertwine towel between clubs (sounds like a pain in the ass to do that after every shot. I'd rather not. Maybe not that big of a deal?)
-user error (maybe the straps are set too high / too low?. I want to say I've tried both and it didn't make a difference)

Ideally, I would be able to just carry a stand bag that is comfy, sling it over both shoulders and walk without all the 'jangling' around. Not sure if this is feasible.
Bluto did it

sjduffers

Re: Need advice for bag/cart sound issue

Post by sjduffers » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:48 pm

I tried carrying a couple of times years ago and never liked it, partly because the strain on the lower back and partly because of the chatter (some people do like that part!). I went for a push cart and then since it makes so sense for the bag to have legs as I am not carrying, also went for a cart bag (works both on the push cart and on the riding cart).

The difference in amount of energy spent between carrying and pushing is relatively small: I read once it was 1600 cal pushing vs 1800 carrying. I am sure that it depends on the weight of the bag and the elevation change of the course, so take that with a grain of salt. Having a (bigger) cart bag leads to having more stuff in it, especially golf balls, which makes it (much? or much!) heavier, which makes it that much harder to push up a hill, especially in wet rough!

Otherwise, use a towel or two as your 'silencer'. You don't have to take it all out and wrap it back around all the clubs, just move the one you need out of the way and reverse the process. A 14-way divider probably helps there.
I'm gonna go low this time...

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:07 pm

Thanks for the input. I'm considering the push cart. I came across another solution I wasn't aware of. A single strap carry/stand bag. One large/wide strap that can be worn/switched between either shoulder. Well shit, I guess that's what professional caddies do, right? Never paid attention to that.
Bluto did it

DougE
dogs: 1

Post by DougE » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:50 pm

I'm no expert on carry/stand bags, but I do use one for walking, which is much rarer since I got carts included in my membership fee this year. I also have a Sun Mountain Speed Cart that I push sometimes when I walk. I find I would rather carry than push a heavy bag around on the Speed Cart. We have some pretty hilly areas and for me, I feel it is easier to carry a lightweight stand bag with 14 clubs, a dozen balls and some miscellaneous stuff, vs pushing my big, heavy mid-staff bag, loaded up with everything but the kitchen sink, on the Speed Cart.

As far as noise, my Titleist Lightweight Stand Bag has 14 full length openings. Honestly, I wish it only had 5 or 6. I think when the clubs can lay against each other, they actually make less noise. With the 14-way set up, there isn't enough distance between the club heads to keep them from touching, so instead of 3 or 4 "groups" of clubs banging against each other, you have 14 individual clubs clanking around against each other.

When I carry, I use a Club Glove caddie towel in addition to the regular one I have hanging on the bag. With the 6 inch slit opening in the middle on the CG towel, you can drape it (the slit opening) over a whole group of 3 or 4 irons and quiet down the adjacent irons that might otherwise bang into them. When I pull a club, I usually take the towel out with it anyway, so I can wipe down the grip and clean the face after the shot, then just drop it back over a grouping of clubs as I put my just-used club back in the bag. Easy peasy.

When I buy another stand bag, it will be one without a 14-way system. I bought the stand bag I have now about 4 years ago. I want a new one with only 5 openings in the top cuff. But, since I ride so much, and have everything I could ever need in my mid-staff bag, the carry bag is still like new. So I can't justify replacing it yet.

MattF

Post by MattF » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:45 am

Throw me another ball will ya!

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:27 am

I am with SJ. Not a big fan of carrying as it strains my lower back. So I use a push cart. If I had a really hilly course I'd probably consider getting one of the automatic push carts so that I could just focus on golf.

Most pro caddies use a bag w/ dual straps, at least the ones I see on TV do.
Keep it short stupid.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:41 am

My bag has two compartments. Sad! Actually I love it. I think it's discontinued too, so once it dies I will be shit out of luck and forced to use some bloated, bulgy abomination with at least five compartments.

To silence the club chatter I just reach back and use my hand to muffle shit. It never bothered me though. To me it is a joyful noise, not much different from birds chirping or leaves rustling in the wind or whatever :gay
Build a bridge and get over it.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:46 am

You lower back sufferers are probably carrying too much shit in your bags. Why?

Anytime I pick up someone else's bag I am flabbergasted by the weight. Mine's like 20 lbs, and that is with a pair of shoes in there. :facepalm

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:52 am

Hold the clubs still with your hand. That’s what I do when trying to be stealth/quiet around people hitting.

As far as golf bags I’ve been really happy with my PING 4 series whatever it’s called. I blew through several other brand bags with weak straps and thus one has lasted years.
I'm gonna hit a provisional
HCP Index :facepalm

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:04 pm

I'm not sure how one would reach back and muffle the clubs while carrying with both straps over both shoulders ?

I have to get a new bag. The one I have has crap falling out of the bottom (holes). I'm also considering getting a push cart. What Sjduffers posted about the minor difference in caloric burn between walking/carrying vs. walking/pushcart is accurate. In fact, there was some European study that surveyed shoulder carry / pushcart / motorized cart and something else and the pushcart people scored the best.

For the bag, even besides the noise/chatter, I don't think I'll ever at this point sling the bag over both shoulders. I'm just too used to going one shoulder. There are very few single strap options in a stand bag, but apparently Callaway still makes a single strapper, so I'm eyeballing that one...

Thanks for the input, fellas.
Bluto did it

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:08 pm

Duke of Hazards wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:04 pm
I'm not sure how one would reach back and muffle the clubs while carrying with both straps over both shoulders ?
My bag/clubs just sticks out to the right. So I reach back and put my hand on my clubs like an arm rest of a chair (except the arm rest goes out to the right instead of forward).
Keep it short stupid.

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:14 pm

Okay, I see. Maybe I'm just not wearing the thing correctly? Admittedly, the straps on my old crappy bag aren't that comfortable, but the ones I had with the Nike bag were (before it broke- stupid Nike), so maybe I just need to go down to Roger Dunn and try some before I pull the trigger.
Bluto did it

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:43 pm

Duke of Hazards wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:04 pm

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:11 pm

Walking and carrying to me is kind of like running--when I see people out there doing either those things, while I am not, it always looks fun and appealing. From the outside, running looks so liberating and empowering, and walking and carrying a golf bag looks so adventuresome and pure and romantic. Just a dude--or a chick!--and a bag, vs. the whole golf course.

I rented a half-decent Sun Mountain pushcart a few weeks ago in Montauk and I would say the energy expenditure is way(yyy) less than carrying. Downhills for example, you can push the thing and let it roll on down by itself. Whereas carrying you never, ever get to let gravity or momentum do any of the work for you. Who measured these things and what is their major malfunction, is what I'd like to know. Newsflash, this invention called the wheel, it provides considerable mechanical advantage. Not negligible. A 20+ lb load, over 5+ miles? Only 200 calories difference?

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:25 pm

I agree with you beef. I don't know how they calculated the difference but I find pushing a cart much easier than carrying. I'd like to get to a point where I'm healthy/fit enough to carry every time I play but that isn't now.

There is a retired guy I see at the driving range every morning when it's warm. He carries and is probably 60-65 years old. He said one time he plays 4-5 days a week in the summer and occasionally will play 36 in a day. He doesn't use a cart ever.

I had tremendous respect for him, and a little disappointment in myself when he said this.
Keep it short stupid.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:35 pm

Ok here is why I question that data.

According to the below article the calories burned over 4.5 hours of golf are as follows for a 190 lb person.

Riding 1359
Pushing 1940
Carrying 2133

So essentially this is saying that 2/3 of the calories burned golfing are due to standard metabolic rate (resting calories burned) plus swinging the club (ie riding in a cart). Where as only 1/3 is attributed to walking 5+ miles with a bag on your back.

That doesn't seem right to me.

http://golftips.golfweek.com/many-calor ... -1483.html
Keep it short stupid.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:36 pm

jasonfish11 wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:25 pm
There is a retired guy I see at the driving range every morning when it's warm. He carries and is probably 60-65 years old. He said one time he plays 4-5 days a week in the summer and occasionally will play 36 in a day. He doesn't use a cart ever.

I had tremendous respect for him, and a little disappointment in myself when he said this.
That guy has nothing else in life to do but play. He is likely using most of his energy budget on golf.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:42 pm

To add a 190lb 40 year 5'8" man burns about 75 calories per hour doing nothing. Assuming I did this calculation right.

https://www.fitnessblender.com/articles ... ng-nothing

So that being said the calories burned breathing while riding in a cart for 4.5 hours is 350, ok lets round up to 559 because turning the wheel and breaking are hard.

That means swinging a club burns 800 calories over a round?

That is pretty significant, so shooting better scores would obviously drops the calories you burn substantially.

None of this seems right to me, yet they are all valid internet sources.
Keep it short stupid.

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:32 pm

You are probably forgetting to add the amount of walking you do while riding a cart, especially around the greens.
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:36 pm

jasonfish11 wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:35 pm
Ok here is why I question that data.

According to the below article the calories burned over 4.5 hours of golf are as follows for a 190 lb person.

Riding 1359
Pushing 1940
Carrying 2133

So essentially this is saying that 2/3 of the calories burned golfing are due to standard metabolic rate (resting calories burned) plus swinging the club (ie riding in a cart). Where as only 1/3 is attributed to walking 5+ miles with a bag on your back.

That doesn't seem right to me.

http://golftips.golfweek.com/many-calor ... -1483.html
So you burn 1000+ calories just for being out there on the course vs. sitting at a desk or on the couch, plus if you're walking, another 600-800. That's quite a bit actually. 1800 extra activity calories over BMR (if carrying) is substantial.
Bluto did it

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:48 pm

srogers13 wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:32 pm
You are probably forgetting to add the amount of walking you do while riding a cart, especially around the greens.
Yup! I have a pedometer (built into the iPhone) and even when riding a cart, it's 7000-9000 steps, vs. 13000-16000 when walking.

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:58 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:11 pm
I rented a half-decent Sun Mountain pushcart a few weeks ago in Montauk and I would say the energy expenditure is way(yyy) less than carrying. Downhills for example, you can push the thing and let it roll on down by itself. Whereas carrying you never, ever get to let gravity or momentum do any of the work for you. Who measured these things and what is their major malfunction, is what I'd like to know. Newsflash, this invention called the wheel, it provides considerable mechanical advantage. Not negligible. A 20+ lb load, over 5+ miles? Only 200 calories difference?
I am pretty sure a bag being pushed is typically heavier than a bag being carried, probably 10 lb heavier. I know mine definitely is. Also, when carrying, you walk straight to your ball, including on the green, whereas when pushing, you go around, then back over to your ball, so the walking distance covered is typically longer. The other thing you forget is for every downhill where you can let go (somewhat, I don't dare letting go actually), there is an equal amount of uphill, where pushing is harder, and way harder in the rough, especially wet rough. I think that explains why in the end, it's only a small difference.

DougE

Post by DougE » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:00 am

sjduffers wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:58 pm

I am pretty sure a bag being pushed is typically heavier than a bag being carried, probably 10 lb heavier. I know mine definitely is. Also, when carrying, you walk straight to your ball, including on the green, whereas when pushing, you go around, then back over to your ball, so the walking distance covered is typically longer. The other thing you forget is for every downhill where you can let go (somewhat, I don't dare letting go actually), there is an equal amount of uphill, where pushing is harder, and way harder in the rough, especially wet rough. I think that explains why in the end, it's only a small difference.
Definitely agree. Particularly the uphill pushing effort. And it also is affected by the weight of the bag being pushed in a cart. My stand bag probably weighs 20-25 pounds loaded. My staff bag is closer to 50 pounds with all the crap I have in it. I certainly feel the burn when pushing the heavy one up a hill. When the stand bag is on my push cart, I feel that one too, going up a hill, but not nearly as much as the staff bag. Carrying the stand bag with both shoulder straps being used, up that same hill, surely takes the least effort for me and likely the least amount of calories burned.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:19 am

There is no way I am giving any credence to any numbers or data that are presented without even a single reassurance about the integrity of the methods used to collect said data. You people are nuts. Science is a powerful tool but that's not what this is. This is spurious content hiding behind the aegis of science. I suspect you people are so quick to make these existential leaps of faith here because these so-called results support your own biases.

That is fine, I'm not saying I know what's right or wrong. All I am saying is that my own experience does not match up with this data. I will go so far as to say that this data strikes me as hokum, in light of said experience. Nobody is as in tune with their fitness and stamina levels as me. :fkno