Wedge Finish Choices

DougE

Wedge Finish Choices

Post by DougE » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:19 pm

What finish do you all play in your wedges? Not sure which companies offer multiple finishes. If whatever company's wedges you play does, why did you choose the finish you did?

I play Vokeys (duh!), which come standard in 3 different finishes, along with a couple other custom finishes as well. I have always used them in the "mid-color" finish. My earlier models were Nickel finished, then Gray Steel in the SM6s, and now the new SM7s are available in Brushed Steel. There is also a Black version and they have all always been available in a standard "Tour Chrome." It's time to upgrade my SM6s (long past time, actually) and I am torn as to which finish to get.

The new brushed steel finish in the SM7s is a bit darker than the gray steel finish of the SM6s. If I change to SM7s I'm not sure if I will like the look of the darker Brushed SteeI, so Tour Chrome, which I never considered before, is now on the table. Or, I may just stick with SM6s and purchase new ones since I love my present SM6s. They are discounted since the SM7s came out by as much as 40 bucks each. I am considering going to Tour Chrome with them as well, because there seems to be a lot more of that finish available as leftovers on the market right now. Tour Chrome looks similar to the finish on most players irons. The steel and black options can get pretty worn and ratty looking, fairly quickly in their lifespan. Some people like that. I don't. The chrome just looks like any other iron after time.

I have been going back and forth on which wedges to buy for a couple months now. Between some new bounce options in the SM7s and the changes to the mid-color option from gray steel to the darker brushed steel, I'm just not sure what I like best. Went to a wedge fitting last weekend, which may have narrowed down a few things for me, but I am still not sure about which finish to use.

I realize none of this is all that important to most people, but I am anal, and little stuff like this can bug the hell out of me. I need to love the look of my clubs, my wedges in particular. I just feel better standing over them at address when I do.

Also, if someone doesn't add some content to these boards soon I'm gonna get more frustrated with them than I already am. So in an effort to keep me engaged, humor me, will ya. Tell me what you play and why.

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Re: Wedge Finish Choices

Post by jasonfish11 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:49 pm

I'm the person you don't care about a response from Doug.

Sorry I'd like to help you but I know my response isn't what you want.

I don't really care about looks with anything in my life. I care about functionality. That being said I don't want something that will make me puke when looking at it, I also don't want something where the look will affect the functionality. Example really shiney wedges when the glare is in your eyes.

But my wife buys my clothes because she knows I don't care. She makes fun of me for the shoes I buy because they are "grandpa" shoes. They aren't I just happen to buy whiteish tennis shoes. But my main concern is they are super comfortable.
I was intending to buy a set of Mizuno irons but when I tested them I liked the results from my KZG irons just as well. So I saved $600 there.

My "alignment" rods aren't $17 alignment rods they sell in the pro-shop. They are the $1.99 "driveway boarder" rods they have at home depot.

But I use the black Cleveland wedges. The only reason I use that finish is because that is what they had at the store when I went to get a new wedge.
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:52 pm

To be fair I guess my main concern is a cost/functionality ratio. I'll mentally create this number and generally pick the product with the lowest ratio.

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:54 pm

I am not one that cared per se about the finish on my Cleveland wedges, but I did get a different finish on each wedge. The main reason I did that was so I would notice if I was grabbing the wrong wedge. My black wedge is my 60* wedge, raw finish is my 56* sand wedge, and tour finish is my 50* gap wedge.
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:29 pm

I've only played chrome/silver colored wedges, might find black or copper distracting. I think my Vokey 54* is tour chrome. It's my favorite wedge.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:10 pm

Totally a brushed / gray look player. It just seems to me that's what a wedge should look like. Actually my irons are also a little brushed. Not a fan of the silver look at all. But do have one wedge I bought at discount that is chrome.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Fri May 11, 2018 3:55 pm

Does anyone know if it's possible to strengthen the loft on a wedge and grind the sole in a way that you don't lose any effective bounce after bending it?

I am really close to pulling the trigger on the 2i, and my plan was to drop my PW (my gaping between GW, PW and 9i is kind of tighter than other clubs). Then bend my GW 2 degrees strong. But it don't want to lose the bounce as I generally take a deep divot and play courses that are generally wet.

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Fri May 11, 2018 5:01 pm

Yes, but don't ask me how...lol. But if you ever get in depth reading about the pros, you hear about how they(or have the trailer guys for the manufacturers)do a lot of funky things with their wedges to get them the way they like them.
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Sun May 13, 2018 9:24 am

Ok so I messed around with the launch monitor and can drop my gw and fill the gap with my PW and sw already.

I really only used my gw for 110-120 yard shots. I can hit a really consistent draw sw that carries 115. I can also choke up and hit a PW the same yardage 115-120 when the flag is on the right side.

DougE

Post by DougE » Sun May 13, 2018 11:52 am

Now do it off real turf to see if it's as easy as you think.

I don't believe anything I see on a launch monitor until I can verify it off real grass in real life conditions. I hit my 7 iron in real life 145-155 yards, CARRY. (I usually play it from 145-165, depending on lie and conditions.) Verified a thousand times over on the course. On a launch monitor I have seen 130 yard carries, as well as 160 yard carries with a 7 iron. Hitting off a fairway, with a good swing and solid center, or close-to-center contact, neither launch monitor distance is even close to reality. Also, mats add a level of forgiveness, not seen on the course. Off a mat I can draw or fade virtually any iron in my bag, easy as pie.....hybrids too. Add some turf to the equation and for me, I can't fade my shorter irons anywhere near as easily. As a drawer of the ball with my irons, maybe it's just in my head when I'm out there that hitting fades isn't something that suits me. That's not to say I can't cut a low punch slice around a tree when I need to, but given the option I am most comfortable going straight or with a little draw when It counts.

But, that's just me. I'm a 100% feel player. And only real visual results work for me.

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Post by legitimatebeef » Mon May 14, 2018 10:41 am

Whoa. Shots fired by DougE. Fish, you are not going to sit back and take that crap are you?
A golfball wizard's
got such a supple wrist-cock

DougE

Post by DougE » Mon May 14, 2018 11:17 am

No, not true beef. That's fake news. Alls I'm sayin' is that for ME, launch monitors mean diddley. What I actually see on the course in real life matters much more to me than any launch monitor results, particular about wedge play, and specifically less than full shots. Fish can rely on launch monitors if it works for him. For me, I'm not a believer. That's not to say something cannot be gained by using one. It surely can. And likely does for Fish. Don't start trouble where none is necessary. Just expressing my opinion about why they don't work for me.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Mon May 14, 2018 11:18 am

Ah he's just mad I'm considering a TM driving iron not a Titleist.

DougE

Post by DougE » Mon May 14, 2018 11:22 am

jasonfish11 wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 11:18 am
Ah he's just mad I'm considering a TM driving iron not a Titleist.
Your loss. ;)

FYI, did anyone notice Webb Simpson over the weekend, Mr. Titleist brand ambassador himself, playing an M2 3W (with a Titleist 917F headcover)? I surely did.

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Post by legitimatebeef » Mon May 14, 2018 11:49 am

DougE wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 11:17 am
Don't start trouble where none is necessary.
Guilty as charged. :breaking
A golfball wizard's
got such a supple wrist-cock

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Mon May 14, 2018 11:55 am

But really to dougs point.

I have a lot of data that I'm able to cross reference between launch monitor data and on course data (game golf). I tend to make decisions from data.

I've been kicking around a handful of ideas in the last 6-12 months. One is getting a 2i, to be fair I've always had this idea because my struggle with driver/3w. I use to carry one.

The other issue I've had is I have a bunching up of my wedge distances between SW and 9i. Which I can see in gamegolf (real data). Per GG my average distances for these clubs over the last 10 rounds (post major swing changes) is from 111 yards to 139 yards. I have 4 clubs spanning <30 yards. Obviously not ideal. I have been able to confirm this "gapping issue" with the launch monitor. It plays out very similar to what I have in GG.

I was trying to decide which club to drop if I got a 2i. After some playing around with shots that I felt comfortable with I went with dropping the GW. I wasn't going to drop the SW or 9i, so it was a decision on where the gaps lied and how I could fill them.

My stock comfortable distances for each are the following (all assuming flat lie no wind):
SW - 102 (yes I'm specific on this. It's a stock 105 carry with a couple yards of backspin). I pull it from 90-110 though.
GW - 120. I pull it from 110-130 though
PW - 130. Generally pull it from 120-140
9i - 140. Will pull it from 130-150

I am pretty comfortable drawing my lower irons. When I do this I know I get 5-10 extra yards. Which I confirmed on the launch monitor.

So now my gapping looks like this (well once I get my 2i, ordering today)...

SW 90-118 (110-118 when pins on the left side)
PW 110-140 (110-120 when the pin is on the right side). If I hit my 70 yard swing with a PW instead of my LW it goes 110 yards. So I get in a lot of practice with this swing. My 80 yard swing goes 120 with PW.
9i ...

DougE

Post by DougE » Mon May 14, 2018 12:38 pm

Coincidence. I am ordering a custom-built 4 iron from Titleist today to fill my gap between 19H and 5i. Though I wouldn't call it a driving iron, as a 2i or 3i might be, it is 21* and will be used at times off long par 3s. I don't really need a driving iron otherwise, as my 3W and 19* hybrid usually fit any situation that my driver can't. I can typically hit both the 3W and hybrid fairly straight and in control.

FWIW, I tried the 4i on a monitor at Golf Galaxy last week and hated it. Then got my hands on one to try on the course. Loved it! I was sold.

I'm switching out the stock AMT Red steel shaft for a stiff UST Recoil 65 graphite shaft to add more smoothness through the ball and for a touch more speed. (I spent 15 minutes on the phone with a UST fitter before making that decision.) I play a combo set of Titleist AP3/AP2s in my irons, but am ordering the new 4i in an AP1 head, which is much more forgiving. My irons are built with TrueTemper AMT Black progressive (ascending mass technology) steel shafts, with the 5i shaft weighing in at 92 grams. So, the AP1 4i with 65g graphite shaft should have sort of a hybrid feel. The first one I tried on the launch monitor showed 190 yards of distance. Didn't believe it, so tried again. Same swing, felt like same strike, it came up at 150y. I hit my 7i 150. Out on the course with a steel shaft in a demo AP1 4i, I consistently hit it 175-185. I believe what I saw in real life more.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Mon May 14, 2018 1:46 pm

What type of launch monitor are you using?

I mean I don't have that happen with skytrak and it's the cheapest one (well other than mevo, and optishot). It does occasionally happen but that is when it doesn't pick up the spin correctly, and it's super noticeable. Like a SW going 145 yards and having 2300 RPM of spin.

Other than that situation I've never had 2 identical strikes that were so massively off on the results.

Maybe you aren't comfortable hitting full shots indoors. So what feels identical is actually quite different? I have read it takes about 3-4 months to get use to hitting balls indoors.

DougE

Post by DougE » Tue May 15, 2018 8:08 am

It was a pretty good launch monitor. The $30-50K kind used for professional fittings. Not a personal type LM. Could have just been an anomaly, but I have had other instances at different times over the years where I do not get consistent results. I do agree with you that I am not comfortable hitting shots indoors. I need to "feel" the shot before I make it. See the surroundings and whole environment before I can totally commit. That's just me. Others are different. But I can tell when I hit a great shot, whether indoors or out. I know the feeling I get when the strike is on the sweetspot and my swing was totally synced and in balance, with a perfect finish. To see a 4i shot spec out on the monitor no better than an average 7i after hitting it pure left way too many questions in my head. That is why I demoed the same 4i out in real life conditions. All my questions were clearly answered and I ordered that new 4i.

I am not poo-pooing launch monitors at all. It'd be fun to have one. I just wish I had the financial freedom to buy something that far down on my list. I'm sure I could glean a lot of info from using one everyday. I do believe there are many positives to knowing some of the information available on them. Swing path through the ball, side spin, backspin, face contact point, and many others can be very helpful in fine tuning your swing. No argument there whatsoever. But, generally speaking, they don't seem to fit my game psychologically. I think subconsciously, I try to please the monitor with my swing, instead of using the mindset and visualization I would normally use for a real life shot on the course. Old school I guess. I like the idea of knowing all my numbers from a launch monitor, but what I see out on the course is more important to me. Maybe if I had one to work with, like you do, I would learn to love it. I would certainly not be opposed to having you donate yours to me when you move up to the newer/better model. ;)

I have a swing speed radar unit which I bought a year ago. Couple hundred bucks. I used it on and off for about a week on a range a couple winters ago. It indicated that my driver swing was between 90 and 100. Once the season started and I could play on the course and measure drives by where they actually land, I forgot about the radar unit. I don't think I have used it in 2 years. Hell, I don't even know where it is right now. Hmmmm. Maybe I should go look for it. I'm collecting stuff to sell on Ebay. I need some cash to buy more useful golf stuff.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Tue May 15, 2018 9:32 am

Sorry for the Doug-esque post.

So there are 2 different type of LM's. Radar and photo-metric (camera based). I did a lot of research before pulling the trigger. Hell I think my 2017 goals on this site said to get a LM for my house.

The radar based ones are great if you have a lot of room to work with. Like 18+ feet of ball flight before the net. These are things like flightscope and trackman. The "professional" monitors. They are much more accurate when you have a lot of room so it can track the majority of the ball flight. Preferably you have it on the range and let it track the ball all the way to the ground (hell some of the new ones can actually pick up the ball off the bounce and record how it interacts w/ the ground). They become much more "iffy" on their data when the ball flight is limited. They pick up a fraction of the flight in their radar and then are required to calculate the rest of the ball flight. Radar units are also good if you want ball & club data as they can differentiate between the 2.

Camera units don't need and actually don't even care about the ball flight outside of the first 2-5'. These are units like skytrak and GCquad. They are generally cheaper $1700-$5000 compared to the radar units which are $8k-$50k. The camera ones are all slightly different. Some of them use super high speed cameras and take numerous pictures during those 2-5'. Then they compare the pictures and analyze the ball data and calculate the remainder of the ball flight.

Skytrak is a little different. It basically takes 1 picture of the ball. It allows the lens to stay open the entire flight of the ball. This gives it a "picture" where the ball is a "blur" across the screen. It would be a blur to you and I, like a picture of a river with a really slow shutter speed, but the computer can analyze it and use that blur to calculate numerous ball data aspects. Then using that data calculate the remainder of the flight.

Although I didn't read this anywhere, my personal feeling is that the units that are designed to calculate ball flight (camera based units) are better at that than the units which calculate it as a backup. So if you have limited space (less than 18') the radar units become very iffy with their calculations. If you have a wide open space and a large bankroll, the radar units are the way to go though.

So maybe the launch monitor that you were using and the space you were hitting it in wasn't set up all that well to work together. Not to mention the lighting will affect the performance of the camera based ones. Not so much the results being off but the ability/inability to record shots.

That being said I know none of them are perfect (ok radar with access to full ball flight pretty much is). My skytrak misses about 1 out of 10 shots all together. This is mostly w/ my PW and GW for some reason. It misses about 1 in 4 of those shots. It probably misses 1 in 15-20 of the shots with my other clubs. Then of the shots it does pick up I would say <5% of them are just wrong. Like a driver w/ 8,000 RPM or a wedge w/ 1500 RPM. I seem to only have this issue when I'm using a ball that's a little worn down though. I've never had it happen with a brand new ball.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Tue May 15, 2018 9:35 am

Also I went to the driving range this morning just to verify I could hit a draw SW 115-120, and a punch PW the same distance.

I was successful except the SW was just the tiniest of draw not really a 5-10 yard draw. I mean I could make it draw that much but it got much less consistent. I was able to hit it very consistently to the flag that was 123 yards away (laser). I was down wind, but it was a very very slight breeze (maybe gusts of 5-8mph).