2018 summer support group

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

2018 summer support group

Post by legitimatebeef » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:09 am

Golf? In this weather? Who in their right mind would actually want to do that?

There is a word for any people who, in the face of 90 degree temperatures and 90% humidity, would force others to wear collared shirts, and khaki shorts, and belts, and to tuck those shirts into the stupid shorts, and that is "assholes".

The only thing less dignified than an amateur golfer is an amateur golfer laboring in the heat. A schlubby, aging, altogether gross amateur golfer all covered in sweat, leering at the cart girl, topping the ball all over the place.

:fuckall
no more polo shirts

DougE

Re: 2018 summer support group

Post by DougE » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:56 am

A little bit opinionated, maybe?

I suppose that's why you are so near and dear to our hearts on LG, Beef.

Call me an asshole, but tuck your cleaned and pressed polo shirt into your properly appropriate golf shorts. If you wear a hat, wear it with the bill facing straight forward, and take it off when you shake hands at the end of the round or enter the clubhouse. And, if you are a schlubby, aging, altogether gross amateur golfer, all covered in sweat, who is always leering at the cart girl and topping the ball all over the place, then stay the f*ck away from my course. :fk

PS. I don't care whether you wear a belt. Up to you. ;)

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:49 pm

Seriously Doug I am worried. It is barely the cusp of summer and already my shits-to-give tank is almost empty. I went almost all of last summer barely playing and looks like more of the same this year. Will try to get out of the city to play with Ms Beef more often. I am resigned to paying higher green fees.
no more polo shirts

DougE

Post by DougE » Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:04 pm

Yes, I can understand how playing in the NYC area can frustrate the hell out of you. There are way, way, way too many sucky golfers in the big city and surrounding suburbs with a population of about 15-20 million people, for you to have much hope. They are coming out whether you like it or not and usually have no idea themselves how annoying they can be to a more serious golfer (of which you are, whether you admit it or not.)

I get frustrated here in Central Maryland seeing one single a-hole as you described above, out on my out-in-farm-country, high-end course. I hate outings, particularly those on Fridays, when getting drunk early out on the course is par for the course, when there are no worries about how hung over you might be for work in the morning. Those guys belong at munis and dumps. Not on a course with a slope rating of close to 140. Try getting behind some of them a few times and you will just quit and go home. Guys that lose more balls in a round than most people carry in a golf bag. And spend more than half their time while out there looking for their poorly hit balls in places you sometimes wonder how the hell they could have hit it there in the first place. Oh, don't get me started.

Beef, you just need to make a habit of getting out far away from the city with Mrs. Beef, to play some enjoyable golf. Of maybe even consider putting together a regular group (3-some or 4-some) who you enjoy (okay, can tolerate) and get a weekly/biweekly thing going for the Catskills, upstate CT or Pennsylvania day trips. That would be good for you. Save your NYC haunts for winter and poor weather days when the idiots would never even consider playing.

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:14 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:09 am
Golf? In this weather? Who in their right mind would actually want to do that?

There is a word for any people who, in the face of 90 degree temperatures and 90% humidity, would force others to wear collared shirts, and khaki shorts, and belts, and to tuck those shirts into the stupid shorts, and that is "assholes".

The only thing less dignified than an amateur golfer is an amateur golfer laboring in the heat. A schlubby, aging, altogether gross amateur golfer all covered in sweat, leering at the cart girl, topping the ball all over the place.

:fuckall
I resemble that remark. But honestly, that is golf in Hellabama from March through November. :thumbs
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Post by bkuehn1952 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:25 pm

Summer?? We played Friday on the 1st of June. High temperature for the day was 56 degrees. It was 50 when we teed off into the teeth of a 15 mph breeze. I wore a sock hat, sweater and rain jacket all day. Some of the guys had on insulated winter golf gloves We had better weather in February. :fk
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

DougE

Post by DougE » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:08 pm

I'm not sure if this is the best thread to throw this in, but I didn't want to start a new thread for it.

About a month ago, I bought a new Titleist 818H1 19* hybrid to replace two clubs in my bag at the time, a 915F 5W and an 816H1 21* hybrid. I fell in love with the new 818H immediately and have not missed my other two clubs since. However, a week or so after getting the new hybrid, I found I had somehow damaged the new club. I can almost pinpoint when it happened, but can't say for certain. I had just used it on a par 3 and hit it flush. When I put it back in the bag, I did not notice anything wrong with it. Then on my next hole, I had a long approach from deep rough. Ball was sitting down and I probably should have taken an iron, but I was greedy and thought I could dig it out with the hybrid. When I swung, I collected a lot of grass, but did get the face on the ball. It certainly didn't travel the distance I was hoping, but it did move out of the rough and down the fairway 120-130 yards or so. So I was satisfied. It did sound a little funny, though, when I made contact with the face, but I just attributed that to the dynamic of thick rough between clubface and ball.

As I was putting the cover back on the hybrid to replace it back in my bag, I caught glimpse of a slight depression in the top of the crown, out towards the toe. (See pic.) I was surprised and basically totally clueless as to what could have caused it. I did not jam the club down in the bag after I hit it on the par 3. I did not pull any other clubs except driver and putter since the tee shot on the par 3 meaning I could not have banged a club into the crown of the hybrid. How the hell did I get this depression? Could it somehow have have happened going through the thick rough? I was devastated when I saw the ding in the crown, but honestly have no idea what caused it.

I talked to my club concierge at Team Titleist and she said I should send it in for a closer look, after seeing the pictures I sent her (one of which is below). She made no guarantees as to whether they could replace it, but did tell me if there was any kind of structural issue, they would.

So here's my other problem. I am still using the club and have not noticed any playability issues with it. I just don't like looking at my new hybrid with a ding in it. I am hitting it so well right now that I am having trouble giving it up for the time it will take to send it in and get it reviewed, and quite possibly, even replaced. I do have my old 816H1 21* head, which I suppose I can put on the 818H1 19* shaft in the interim, and I can even set the loft of the old 21* to 20*. That should only amount to about 2-3 yards less distance than the new 19*. Okay, I guess that settles it. I talked myself through the dilemma using the summer support group thread. So this was the right thread after all. Now I just have to decide when to give up the 818 for a couple weeks.
Attachments
818H1issue2.JPG
818H1issue2.JPG (1.73 MiB) Viewed 78 times

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:21 pm

That's an odd one. I have never had that happened to any of my clubs or seen to anyone's club. I had a 5 wood head fly out from a regular tee shot once though, and they (Cobra at the time) replaced it.

Send the dinged club back ASAP: the summer is young. You'll have it back (or a new one) in no time. :thumbs
I'm gonna go low this time...

jev

Post by jev » Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:32 pm

After three weeks of struggling with back problems I finally got back on the course today. 24°C, little bit windy, terrific weather. We could even play through, no flight in view in front of us and a full hole gap between us and the fligh starting after us after three holes. Yay!

Anyway, at the 8th, I hit a great drive. Its flight looked a bit odd when I think about it now. Second shot, full 8 iron, didn't make it... the ball split clean in half. Never, ever have I seen that before. Okay, the thing had some miles on it, but not even a full round and no weird bounces on stones, cartpaths or anything. :breaking
90% of the game is mental, the other half is all in your head (Yogi)

MattF

Post by MattF » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:49 am

What ball?
Throw me another ball will ya!

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:32 pm

Fuck this shit, I hate summer.
no more polo shirts

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:56 am

jev wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:32 pm
After three weeks of struggling with back problems I finally got back on the course today. 24°C, little bit windy, terrific weather. We could even play through, no flight in view in front of us and a full hole gap between us and the fligh starting after us after three holes. Yay!

Anyway, at the 8th, I hit a great drive. Its flight looked a bit odd when I think about it now. Second shot, full 8 iron, didn't make it... the ball split clean in half. Never, ever have I seen that before. Okay, the thing had some miles on it, but not even a full round and no weird bounces on stones, cartpaths or anything. :breaking
Never had a ball split. That is unique. I might have a ball's cover crack about once a year. It is always because I am playing a ball that took a direct hit to a cart path. I typically notice the crack only after hitting a solid shot only to find the ball went 50% of the distance expected.
Let's Play 36

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:59 am

Father's Day found me without any obligations other than dinner at 6:30. Sunny and 95 humid degrees. So naturally I decided to ...
power wash our deck. It looks great.
Let's Play 36

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:18 pm

Triple digits with humidity today. Next few months are going to suck. Going to break down soon and visit the simulator. There's a new one in the neighborhood.

https://www.fiveirongolf.com
no more polo shirts

DougE

Post by DougE » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:31 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:18 pm
Triple digits with humidity today. Next few months are going to suck. Going to break down soon and visit the simulator. There's a new one in the neighborhood.
Beef, buck up and go play. No one else wants to be out there in that kind of heat, including me, but, I expect to have the whole course pretty much to myself today as a result of the heat. I'll suffer for that privilege. A large Yeti full of ice and G2 will get me through it.