2018 Fall Support Group

DougE
dogs: 1

2018 Fall Support Group

Post by DougE » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:00 pm

So, I guess summer is officially over. Time to start the 2018 fall support group. Summer was okay, I suppose. I had a decent one, golf-wise. Lots of rain and wet conditions hurt my distance over the period, but overall, I played respectable golf most days.

I have been away from the forums the last few days. I just got back from a trip to my old club, Oxford Greens, in Connecticut. Played two rounds with a couple of my long-time regular foursome on Friday and Saturday and remember now how tough a course it is. Even though my new club is rated more difficult, for me, it doesn't seem so. However, after the first 6 holes at Oxford, I was really believing I was a much better golfer than I was when I left there three years earlier. I parred every hole through the first 6. Then things went south on the 7th (and the 8th, et al) and I ended with a disappointing 81. Oh well. The next day was a couple/few strokes worse. No excuses, I just did not play great. But it was fun to be back, just the same.

I've played a lot over the past few months and my body is feeling it. So I have not played or practiced in three full days. The weather hasn't been great, so it is a good excuse to let my body recover a bit, though I do hope to get back out there tomorrow.

So now it is fall. I have another birthday coming up soon and am facing the fact that age makes this game harder and harder. I hate getting older, but the alternative doesn't allow golf at all---at least I have heard nothing from the other side to indicate that golf is on the agenda up (or down) there. If I sound a bit depressed, I probably am. The days are getting shorter, I am getting older and the season will be ending soon. And, we still have no new blood contributing here at Legitimategolf. My only positive to look forward to is that I will get my golf course somewhat back to myself as the temps dip below 45* or so. I know Beef can relate to that sort of golf-Nirvana.

Maybe I am rushing things, as there are still a couple months of quality golf left, with plenty of opportunity to get some really satisfying rounds in on nice conditions, before everything goes dormant. Be that as it may, it will be dark by 5 pm everyday, way too soon. Woe is me. :bawl

legitimatebeef

Re: 2018 Fall Support Group

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:17 pm

Nice post man. The Dougmeister is not just among the best posters here but of any golf board anywhere.

I've been reflecting lately on the changing of the seasons and what they mean in these changing times. The normal reaction to shortening days is one of disappointment but I am questioning that.

In the days before man mastered fire, nightfall was probably not a fun time. You probably felt like you faced existential peril on a nightly basis. A nice roaring fire and all its accoutrements probably went a long way in keeping the heebie jeebies at bay. Sitting around the fire we could now, you know, do things, enjoy our existence a little bit. Sit around, tell stories, share food, sing, dance, make shadow puppets etc.

Still, summertimes would be joyous times because you could enjoy the night, the sun lingered in the sky and you didn't have to be always rushing home to the safety of shelter and the fire because night was falling and you don't want to get eaten or whatever.

Technology continues to help the fight against darkness. First it was lightbulbs--yay now the whole world at night doesn't have to look so goddamn creepy. Then it was TV--yay, now there is shit to actually look forward to at night!

We are not primitive man. We don't need to dread the dark. We should enjoy it to the fullest. Yeah okay there is a lot less usable daytime in which to play golf, but how much do you really need? If you are lucky enough to be retired, semi-retired or self-employed, there's plenty enough daylight to do your thing, to play 18 or 27 or even 36 holes. Come on.

Winter solstice is December 21. That's barely into the winter season. At least from that point on, each day gets longer than the one before. Call me gay but I get considerable consolation from that.

I get that golf and darkness are incompatible. But you know that you can still work on your golf game at home on the carpet. And still, technology keeps advancing our cause. Look at Fish, he now spends his nights in underwear bashing balls literally as hard as he can, working on his swing in the comfort of his home. You think he cares if the sun sets at 4:30 or whatever? I don't have a sim obviously but even our range is open until 11pm, and now I got a hourly indoor place just a few blocks from home. Not my favorite thing, but hey, nice to know it's there in the event of a serious winter weather calamity.

Also, there's golf on TV to help us through. Both the LPGA and PGA play in Asia at the end of the year which means prime-time golf here in the states. I love it. Nothing lulls me to sleep quite like a live golf broadcast. And, this year's Hero World Challenge is going to be great, a celebration of triumphant Tiger and not the sad freak show of recent Hero World Challenges. I am genuinely looking forward to it :school

I realize that like Doug, I am getting way ahead of myself here and this is still the autumnal support group. Guess I am just looking forward to the winter. My only real autumn complaints are leaves on the ground, and overly nice weather.
A golfball wizard's
got such a supple wrist-cock

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:07 pm

I agree with both of your posts in principle. But, I would like to point out that it is still around 90 at the high, and that one can easily play golf until 6:30 or 7:00 around these parts (Northern California), so it's not like you are forced to endure: just sayin'! :)
I'm gonna go low this time...

DougE

Post by DougE » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:22 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:17 pm
Nice post man. The Dougmeister is not just among the best posters here but of any golf board anywhere.
That's very kind of you to say. I truly appreciate it. Thank you.
legitimatebeef wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:17 pm
I realize that like Doug, I am getting way ahead of myself here and this is still the autumnal support group. Guess I am just looking forward to the winter. My only real autumn complaints are leaves on the ground, and overly nice weather.
Oh yeah, leaves on the ground. Son of a bitch, forgot about that one. How many freakin' new AVXs will I lose as a result, goddammit!?

In reality, I love the early fall (September and October), but it is bittersweet, realizing what's around the corner. I will enjoy playing golf in long pants again though. I'll feel like a real player, especially when I break 80.( Okay, okay, if I break 80.)

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:13 am

Wait golf is played outside? Hmmm I wouldn't have known.
Keep it short stupid.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:37 pm

I find the shrinking daylight quite depressing. The temperatures and leaves don't bother me, especially in my new location, but I really like those longer days where I can leave the office at 4:30 once a week and play 9-18. Yesterday I barely got in 14 holes. My guess is that next week 12 will be lucky. Unfortunately, I find the mid-week 9 critical to playing well and personal sanity.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:27 pm

Also a resurgent "Tiger effect" on local courses :puke
A golfball wizard's

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:28 pm

Today feels like summer again, swampy.
A golfball wizard's

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:30 pm

Hit some bawlz yesterday, sweat was literally flying off me as I swung. Fuck this stupid shit.
A golfball wizard's

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Post by bkuehn1952 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:47 pm

Being a world traveler, I have not played a full "scoring" round since 9/6/2018. I did participate in the Challenge Cup matches (old farts from Indiana versus crusty seniors from Michigan) earlier this week. Team matches with foursomes and fourballs are not like playing an 18 with each shot counting toward your personal score. My singles opponent was so depressed by the beat down my partner and I gave his team in foursomes and fourball, he did not show up for our match the next day. All I could do was play along with the other match and try to stay out of their way.

Tomorrow looks to be my opportunity to play a full 18. I am going to need to adjust to it being dark until 7:30 a.m. with temperatures in the low 40's.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:11 pm

At my wit's end with this humidity. The day started off okay, but now we're back up to 70 something percent. Go outside and initially it feels alright, but then you walk a few yards and start to sweat under the collar. I do at least. You probably don't, you sweatless jerk.
A golfball wizard's

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:10 pm

Kuehn's don't sweat, we perspire, and I never perspire. ;)
Let's Play 36

DougE

Post by DougE » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:50 am

Between the extreme wetness, 6 days of rain (Sunday to Friday am), physical issues (neck, shoulders, back), mental depression due to seasonal disorder, all resulting in limited interest at the moment, I have not played golf in a week. I think that's the longest layoff of the season for me.

Was going to play yesterday. Went to the course and heard all about how much water damage there has been over the week. There was 5 inches of rain Thursday and Friday morning alone. Then found that two courses in the area were closed due to all the rain and consequently dozens of their players (seemed like thousands) came here to Worthington to play as their alternate option. It felt like a 75-degree weekend day in March after an extremely cold and wet winter, where everyone comes out of the woodwork and overruns the course. My desire to play once I saw all that going on dropped further.

Instead I went to the range and hit over 200 balls. Of course we had to hit off mats due to the wet turf. The mats were so wet that every swing sent water flying everywhere. Felt really rusty. Distance sucked with long clubs. Very disappointing, though after awhile, my swing felt okay. Maybe it was just my imagination, but it felt like the range balls were waterlogged. Good driver shots weren't even going 210 yards, including what little rollout there was, if any. I came home without much excitement to play this weekend, but I will force myself to try. Maybe late today, I will go walk nine. I am in no mood to deal with a million hackers playing a totally saturated, cart-path-only, tough course. So, in the meantime today, I'm gonna take a ride into town to take a spin with the new Titleist TS Drivers and Fairways.

On the plus side, the weather looks better for the foreseeable future. Hopefully everyone will be able to go back to their own respective courses and leave mine the f#@k alone!

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:11 am

DougE wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:50 am
mental depression due to seasonal disorder
whoa already? I am not there yet. I actually like a bit of the shortening daylight. Mostly because I don't like eating dinner while the sun's out. Make me feel like a senior citizen getting the early bird special. :nope
A golfball wizard's

DougE

Post by DougE » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:45 am

I guess I should have said "...in anticipation of seasonal disorder...."

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:57 am

I'm actually going to play real life outdoor golf today. I'm going to a new course in the area. I'm sure I'll either strike the ball well and shoot something between 75 & 83 or play like crap shoot 88+. If it's the latter I'm probably making it my last round of the "season". I have some bathroom remodeling I need to start doing and terrible ball striking will help me move forward with that honey-do.

Hopefully I play well and postpone the demolition of my bathroom. If not at least I'll have a sledgehammer in hand to release stress.
Keep it short stupid.

DougE

Post by DougE » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:24 am

jasonfish11 wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:57 am
If not at least I'll have a sledgehammer in hand to release stress.
Should we talk about sledgehammer technique before you get started? Ya know, like, grip, stance, weight transfer, path...... We could start a new thread.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:48 pm

DougE wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:24 am
jasonfish11 wrote:
If not at least I'll have a sledgehammer in hand to release stress.
Should we talk about sledgehammer technique before you get started? Ya know, like, grip, stance, weight transfer, path...... We could start a new thread.
I wonder if I can get a sledgehammer simulator?
Keep it short stupid.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:56 pm

jasonfish11 wrote:
I'm actually going to play real life outdoor golf today. I'm going to a new course in the area. I'm sure I'll either strike the ball well and shoot something between 75 & 83 or play like crap shoot 88+. If it's the latter I'm probably making it my last round of the "season". I have some bathroom remodeling I need to start doing and terrible ball striking will help me move forward with that honey-do.

Hopefully I play well and postpone the demolition of my bathroom. If not at least I'll have a sledgehammer in hand to release stress.
How do I change my user name to Bob villia?
Keep it short stupid.

DougE

Post by DougE » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:29 pm

Hello! ello ello lo lo lo

Anyone Here? Here ere ere ere

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:20 pm

Do you considered 92* fall?
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:22 pm

golf sucks can we have a bathroom remodeling forum?
Keep it short stupid.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:52 pm

DougE wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:29 pm
Hello! ello ello lo lo lo

Anyone Here? Here ere ere ere
I am here and I am sitting in a puddle of sweat. Very steamy here today. I give up.
A golfball wizard's

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:21 am

Fuck this shit. This is shaping up to be the worst fall season ever, for golf at least. It has been muggy every day. The forecast might read 60-something but it's deceptive, you could walk around nude and still work up a sweat. In the past I used to get a sort of spiritual boost, an inspiration, from the onset of autumn. The past couple of years however it feels like we have only two seasons, cold and hot, with spring and autumn reduced to little more than brief transition periods in between. I don't care what you philistines say anymore, I am convinced now that the climate is changing, and in a big f'n way.
A golfball wizard's

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:11 am

Cold or hot, just don't rain anymore. It is not a lot of fun playing out of puddles.
Let's Play 36